PDA

View Full Version : Tom Thibodeau Becomes Wolves' Coach & President of Basketball Ops

spreadeagle
04-18-2016, 07:32 PM
With a determination to have full control of an organization, Tom Thibodeau is aggressively pursuing the job with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Thibodeau would like to have final say on player personnel, organizational philosophy and hirings. Currently, that is only being offered by the Wolves.

Thibodeau is willing to consider other jobs without full control if he doesn't get it with the Wolves.

Minnesota ownership is completing its meetings with Thibodeau and Jeff Van Gundy on Monday and is expected to move quickly in making an offer. -Woj

Shammyguy3
04-18-2016, 07:38 PM
i hope Thibs gets it, although I am not sure how he will handle the GMing duties. It may blow up in his face, but he definitely does NOT want to report to anyone

beasted86
04-18-2016, 07:48 PM
Makes sense after coaching all those seasons under the dysfunctional Bulls upper management.

CHANGO
04-18-2016, 08:00 PM
Makes sense after coaching all those seasons under the dysfunctional Bulls upper management.

This.

I hope he gets the job, want to see how he does with a young core and how he can teach the young fellas some defense. With the likes of Lavine, Rubio, Towns, Dieng and especially Wiggins, he can make a damn good defensive team.

More-Than-Most
04-18-2016, 08:14 PM
I am not a fan of coach/gm as the same guy... Riley/Pops earned that but this could hurt the wolves team.. They have a ton of potential and shouldnt rock the boat to much in my opinion. Hes a very good coach but their drafting has been on point. You give him the GM Job and he may draft badly

C-ross12
04-18-2016, 08:38 PM
I like Thibs because hes a simple man. He identifies the problem (mingling upper management) and seeks the easiest possible solution (full control).

DboneG
04-18-2016, 08:52 PM
Forget it Thibs! That's what I would say. Here's a guy that been an assistant coach for ever...had a good run as a head coach...now he want the moon and the stars! Get out of here!!! You're not Phil Jackson! Speaking of Phil Jackson, he's not as smart as we all thought. This zen-master stuff is crap. Give a lot of credit to his assistants( Tex Winter a genius, Jim Cleamons, Frank Hamblen), and the players he coached...too many superstars to mention. James Dolan gave the moon and stars to Jackson, look what it got him!

KnicksorBust
04-18-2016, 08:53 PM
Perfect hire and job for him. Those young twolves are hard working and hungry and he lives for this. The fit alone is too good to pass up. If Thibs goes to the Wolves and stays over 3 years that team will win a title.

DboneG
04-18-2016, 09:04 PM
Perfect hire and job for him. Those young twolves are hard working and hungry and he lives for this. The fit alone is too good to pass up. If Thibs goes to the Wolves and stays over 3 years that team will win a title.

I disagree. Thibs will burn those young guys out in 2-3 years. Like he was doing with the Bulls. They will then lay down on him and get him fired. Yes, the T-wolves are hard working and hungry. There has to be a balance.

Stunner
04-18-2016, 09:04 PM
The wolves are the ones who offered Thibs full control , Thibs didn't suggest .

Hope he takes it so he can trade for Butler

CityofChaos
04-18-2016, 09:28 PM
Don't Stan van Gundy and doc have full control as well? If so Thibs deserves to b in that category as well

Scoots
04-18-2016, 09:37 PM
Thibs isn't looking to be the GM/coach. He wants to be President/Coach. It's an important distinction as the GM will work for him.

JVG is interested in the same Pres/Coach position.

slaker619
04-18-2016, 09:55 PM
Thibs only a good coach I don't wanna see him GM

Scoots
04-18-2016, 11:36 PM
Thibs only a good coach I don't wanna see him GM

He's not trying to be GM, he wants to be the GMs boss so he doesn't have to take his crap like he did in Chicago.

naps
04-19-2016, 12:01 AM
I feel like JVG should be the president/GM and Thibs should be the coach. They are fond of each other and has history of working together. My guess is Thibs will screw it up as a GM. It's not easy to handle both sides.

ghettosean
04-19-2016, 12:07 AM
I am not a fan of coach/gm as the same guy... Riley/Pops earned that but this could hurt the wolves team.. They have a ton of potential and shouldnt rock the boat to much in my opinion. Hes a very good coach but their drafting has been on point. You give him the GM Job and he may draft badly

Well they did choose both Ricki Rubio and Jonny Flynn over Steph Curry... Just throwing that out there.

Scoots
04-19-2016, 12:30 AM
I feel like JVG should be the president/GM and Thibs should be the coach. They are fond of each other and has history of working together. My guess is Thibs will screw it up as a GM. It's not easy to handle both sides.

Is nobody reading? Thibs does NOT want to be GM. He wants to be President and boss the GM.

kalel
04-19-2016, 12:38 AM
Sorry but scott brooks would be waaaayyyy better for this job. And anybody in the NBA that gives gm type duties to a coach is an idiot

ManningToTyree
04-19-2016, 12:43 AM
The wolves are actually an attractive job for once with their young talent no surprised thibbs and JVG two of the best coaches available IMO have shown interest.

TheNumber37
04-19-2016, 12:44 AM
Playoffs

Scoots
04-19-2016, 12:44 AM
Sorry but scott brooks would be waaaayyyy better for this job. And anybody in the NBA that gives gm type duties to a coach is an idiot

Okay, so people really are not reading the thread.

Dade County
04-19-2016, 01:22 AM
Well someone needs to be able to tell him no, maybe for the first 2yrs, until the owner knows he can handle being the EVERYTHING LoL

Thibs will change the culture there very quick, but the West is tough so idk

naps
04-19-2016, 01:47 AM
Is nobody reading? Thibs does NOT want to be GM. He wants to be President and boss the GM.

What's the point of having a GM in between these two posts when the same person is occupying them both? GM will be sandwiched by thibs lol

Bostonjorge
04-19-2016, 02:55 AM
Whatever gets this team in playoffs. They have players who we need to see in the playoffs.

Saddletramp
04-19-2016, 03:55 AM

I'm reading. Since it seems Morey is staying, I'm wondering if the Rockets are thinking about something along these lines. Probably not though.

IKnowHoops
04-19-2016, 04:02 AM
I'd personally rather have JVG as president and GM and have Thibs as coach. I trust JVG as a talent evaluator and I trust Thibs as coach. My confidence is not as strong in either of them in reverse roles.

naps
04-19-2016, 06:02 AM
Thibs, if gets hired, really need to stop playing starters 40 mins a game and run them onto the grounds during the regular season though. I like this Wolves team and think Thibs would be great for them except I fear he will wear KAT and other young guys down playing too much.

warfelg
04-19-2016, 06:54 AM
What's the point of having a GM in between these two posts when the same person is occupying them both? GM will be sandwiched by thibs lol

A coach doesn't have the time to gameplan, run practice, and coach; then negotiate contracts, negotiate trades, and scout college players.

The point is Thibs would be able to tell a GM "go get me Butler, but keep KAT and Wiggins" and the GM has to do it.

R. Johnson#3
04-19-2016, 08:36 AM
A team full of young players that have loads of potential is great for a stern and hard nosed coach like Thibs. Let's not forget that the Smitch has a similar style as well. Not as defence oriented but just in the not taking any ******** type of way. If Thibs can keep the young players in check while teaching them solid team defence then we could see a playoff berth from the Wolves in a year or two.

Scoots
04-19-2016, 08:39 AM

The GM does all the groundwork to find and acquire talent and Thibs won't have time to do that well ... but he doesn't want to be told what to do with his team on the court so he wants to be the boss of the GM.

C-ross12
04-19-2016, 09:43 AM
A coach doesn't have the time to gameplan, run practice, and coach; then negotiate contracts, negotiate trades, and scout college players.

The point is Thibs would be able to tell a GM "go get me Butler, but keep KAT and Wiggins" and the GM has to do it.

Exactly. Its actually a pretty good structure imho. I'd want that if I were a head coach. Accountability would actually be fair in this scenario. Most coaches get the blame when GM's bring in less then ideal talent. If Thibs can run his own system from top to bottom, that'd probably be best for him; and interesting to see.

If I were a GM I'd hire what I thought was a great coach, and work closely with that person to bring in exactly what he thought he needed to run a top notch team.

Hawkeye15
04-19-2016, 09:48 AM
So, essentially Thibs would be doing exactly what Flip was doing before he passed. I am just fine with that.

His last year coaching, only a 25 year old Butler played 35 mpg or more. The defense would improve drastically, and I am totally onboard with giving Thibs a lot of control.

effen5
04-19-2016, 10:33 AM
Thibs, if gets hired, really need to stop playing starters 40 mins a game and run them onto the grounds during the regular season though. I like this Wolves team and think Thibs would be great for them except I fear he will wear KAT and other young guys down playing too much.

Um this is so overblown it's not even funny.

You realize he had to play Butler because he has no other talent on the court right? Jimmy played just as many minutes under Thibs last year as Fred did this year. Just an FYI.

Difference is - Bulls didn't even make the playoffs. Front office said the problem was coaching and we should have beaten the Cavs last year but in reality, Thibs maximized the entire roster which lacks talent. The front office did nothing to improve this roster since Roses injury and all Thibs did was keep winning.

Hawkeye15
04-19-2016, 10:35 AM
Um this is so overblown it's not even funny.

You realize he had to play Butler because he has no other talent on the court right? Jimmy played just as many minutes under Thibs last year as Fred did this year. Just an FYI.

well, the Wolves get a high draft pick this year to add to the bench, but they also need to upgrade that bench badly. But you are right, even his last year in Chicago, only a 25 year old Butler played 35 mpg or more.

In a perfect world (for me), they draft Hield, or Murray, and sign Harrison Barnes, and move Dieng back to the bench. I would assume Thibs would tweak the bench as well once he gets control.

effen5
04-19-2016, 10:36 AM
well, the Wolves get a draft pick, but they also need to upgrade that bench badly. But you are right, even his last year in Chicago, only a 25 year old Butler played 35 mpg or more.

The thing was, Jimmy wanted to play the minutes. It was his contract year and he wanted to get paid too.

effen5
04-19-2016, 10:38 AM
last year Jimmy played 38.7 minutes
This year Jimmy played 36.9 minutes

Only reason his minutes dipped was because he got injured towards the end of the year and they put him on a minutes restriction.

Just before his injury at game 47, he averaged 38.16 minutes.

72 Wins
04-19-2016, 11:01 AM
I agree... the minutes criticism is blown out of proportion. I've also observed Thibs to have grown a bit with his year off and has acknowledged some areas in he can improve upon in multiple interviews. I don't think he'll have the same problems in MN. Thibs also lives and breathes basketball. He will have no issues juggling multiple jobs. I mean, in his "free time" he plays GM anyways. LOL It's a no brainer to hire him IMO. And throw in Butler ? Geez... this will be a great team to watch for years to come.

ewing
04-19-2016, 11:05 AM
^^^ this guys name is sooo irreverent haha

72 Wins
04-19-2016, 11:09 AM
^^^ this guys name is sooo irreverent haha

*irrelevant

Yes... only reason I didn't want GS to win 73 was the hassle of requesting a new username. SMH

Stunner
04-19-2016, 11:12 AM
Tom Thibodeau - C -
Tom Thibodeau is comfortable with Minnesota after working there as an assistant during the team's first two seasons.
Thibodeau met with the Timberwolves about their vacant head coach position and is reportedly seeking full control over player personnel and hirings. While there are other teams interested in Thibodeau, it sounds like we could see a new regime in Minnesota soon.
Source: New York Post Apr 19 - 10:35 AM

KnicksorBust
04-19-2016, 11:37 AM
I disagree. Thibs will burn those young guys out in 2-3 years. Like he was doing with the Bulls. They will then lay down on him and get him fired. Yes, the T-wolves are hard working and hungry. There has to be a balance.

#1.) If Rose didn't get injured he wouldn't even be on the coaching market right now.
#2.) The "burn" out is exaggerrated.
#3.) There is no better team for a hard coach like a Thibs/Skiles/SVG then a young team.

well, the Wolves get a high draft pick this year to add to the bench, but they also need to upgrade that bench badly. But you are right, even his last year in Chicago, only a 25 year old Butler played 35 mpg or more.

In a perfect world (for me), they draft Hield, or Murray, and sign Harrison Barnes, and move Dieng back to the bench. I would assume Thibs would tweak the bench as well once he gets control.

Who starts game 82 for that team?

Scoots
04-19-2016, 11:42 AM
*irrelevant

Yes... only reason I didn't want GS to win 73 was the hassle of requesting a new username. SMH

He could have meant irreverent. You know, because you are disrespecting either the Bulls or the Warriors. :)

Scoots
04-19-2016, 11:44 AM

LaVine at 2 and Wiggins at 3, and any minutes LaVine is out Wiggins can slide to the 2 ... why spend a high pick on someone at the same position?

Vee-Rex
04-19-2016, 11:47 AM
Okay, so people really are not reading the thread.

Idk, man. I just don't see Thibs being a great GM. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Vee-Rex
04-19-2016, 11:50 AM
Also, I'd hire the **** out of Thibs. Let him be coach/president all he wants. Minnesota is a team brimming with young talent and all they need is a strong coach with strong defensive philosophies to step it up to the next level and become a playoff team.

Hire Thibs, sign some vets/snipers, and if possible, trade a couple assets and picks for a big name and this team will be scary VERY soon.

Gander13SM
04-19-2016, 12:04 PM
I like Thibs as a coach.

But I dislike this trend of coaches playing general manager. I'm not on board with that at all.

Scoots
04-19-2016, 02:32 PM
I like Thibs as a coach.

But I dislike this trend of coaches playing general manager. I'm not on board with that at all.

Except Thibs of course ... since you read the thread right?

KnicksorBust
04-19-2016, 02:50 PM
LaVine at 2 and Wiggins at 3, and any minutes LaVine is out Wiggins can slide to the 2 ... why spend a high pick on someone at the same position?

I was actually wondering the same thing. He wants to draft a guard/wing, sign Barnes, and move Dieng to the bench. Who is the other starting forward? I'm guessing is he moves Lavine to 6th man but Barnes at the 4 seems like a stretch.

Hawkeye15
04-19-2016, 03:08 PM
#1.) If Rose didn't get injured he wouldn't even be on the coaching market right now.
#2.) The "burn" out is exaggerrated.
#3.) There is no better team for a hard coach like a Thibs/Skiles/SVG then a young team.

Who starts game 82 for that team?

huh?

Hawkeye15
04-19-2016, 03:11 PM

at this point, at pick #5, we are drafting just to add to the pool. No need to reach for position, just take the best player available and move on. There are worse things than having an elite shooter off the bench...

Besides, no need to take a project. The Wolves need particular skillsets at this point. Shooting is a desperate need, and there is plenty right where they are picking.

Hawkeye15
04-19-2016, 03:22 PM
I was actually wondering the same thing. He wants to draft a guard/wing, sign Barnes, and move Dieng to the bench. Who is the other starting forward? I'm guessing is he moves Lavine to 6th man but Barnes at the 4 seems like a stretch.

you can mix and match Barnes/Dieng depending on the matchup.

Scoots
04-19-2016, 08:38 PM

Hah ... a pun!

Scoots
04-19-2016, 08:40 PM
at this point, at pick #5, we are drafting just to add to the pool. No need to reach for position, just take the best player available and move on. There are worse things than having an elite shooter off the bench...

Besides, no need to take a project. The Wolves need particular skillsets at this point. Shooting is a desperate need, and there is plenty right where they are picking.

I understand taking the best player available, but you listed specific names you wanted to be that player which is not best player available. So you don't want the best player available you want to fill a need ... shooting.

Do you see Towns staying at center? If so who is the 4?

Do you see Rubio staying around? If not who is the 1?

Supreme LA
04-19-2016, 09:57 PM

Or he could be the type of leader to take this team to the next level.

IKnowHoops
04-20-2016, 02:50 AM
Hah ... a pun!

Was it intended?

nastynice
04-20-2016, 05:02 AM
How do wolves fans feel about giving gm duties to their hc? Hasn't the wolves fo been doing well lately? Why mess with that? I think they should just get a coach and let the fo guys keep doing what they been doing past few years

Munkeysuit
04-20-2016, 05:19 AM
I can't say for sure Thibs is a better pick that JVG, I think JVG will bring real substance and real culture to that franchise.

Gander13SM
04-20-2016, 06:16 AM
Except Thibs of course ... since you read the thread right?

What?

KnicksorBust
04-20-2016, 08:11 AM
Hah ... a pun!

:)

Scoots
04-20-2016, 10:46 AM
How do wolves fans feel about giving gm duties to their hc? Hasn't the wolves fo been doing well lately? Why mess with that? I think they should just get a coach and let the fo guys keep doing what they been doing past few years

Gah!!! #$@#!

They are NOT talking about coach/GM at all. It's Coach/President so he'll be the GMs boss, NOT the GM.

Scoots
04-20-2016, 10:47 AM
What?

They are talking about Thibs being Coach/President, NOT coach/GM.

This thread is really bringing into stark relief how few people read the full thread they are commenting in :)

Mr. Baller
04-20-2016, 01:00 PM
Looks like Thibs is gonna get the job

Stunner
04-20-2016, 01:06 PM
Sources: Minnesota is engaged in serious talks with Tom Thibodeau to become President of Basketball Ops and coach, with Scott Layden as GM.

Layden is the assistant GM with Spurs, and sources say that he discussed GM job under Thibodeau's authority with Minnesota in recent days.

Via Woj

Jimmy butler next

mngopher35
04-20-2016, 01:12 PM
Sources: Minnesota is engaged in serious talks with Tom Thibodeau to become President of Basketball Ops and coach, with Scott Layden as GM.

Layden is the assistant GM with Spurs, and sources say that he discussed GM job under Thibodeau's authority with Minnesota in recent days.

Via Woj

Jimmy butler next

This sounds amazing to me

Stunner
04-20-2016, 01:24 PM
Tom Thibodeau is finalizing a five-year deal to become president and coach of the Timberwolves, league sources tell @TheVertical.

Hawkeye15
04-20-2016, 01:26 PM

Via Woj

Jimmy butler next

I pray to god this is the outcome

Stunner
04-20-2016, 01:26 PM
Spurs assistant GM Scott Layden is working on a deal to join Thibodeau as his GM in Minnesota, league sources said.

Scoots
04-20-2016, 01:29 PM
Here come the Wolves.

ghettosean
04-20-2016, 01:47 PM
The final major piece seems to be in place for Minny.

Watch out NBA!!!

Hawkeye15
04-20-2016, 01:57 PM
I will say, looking at the Knicks under Layden as GM, I am hoping he learned quite a bit in San Antonio.......it wasn't pretty in NY

Htownballa1622
04-20-2016, 01:57 PM
Happy for wolves fans.

Future seems bright there.

72 Wins
04-20-2016, 02:29 PM
I'm gonna be a MN fan once this is final. MN going places whereas my Bulls going to ****

Muttman73
04-20-2016, 02:30 PM
WoW, Thibs gets his wish, we'll see how he handles it. A Jimmy Butler to Minnesota trade would not surprise me.

Hawkeye15
04-20-2016, 02:36 PM
why Butler to Minnesota? They have Wiggins....

Stunner
04-20-2016, 02:39 PM
why Butler to Minnesota? They have Wiggins....

So what y'all about to have both deal with it

Hawkeye15
04-20-2016, 02:40 PM
So what y'all about to have both deal with it

for what we would give up, why bother? Wiggins will basically give us what Butler does in a few years at the same age anyways. May as well build long term.

cmellofan15
04-20-2016, 02:40 PM
hawk you seem to be erring on the side of caution..are you excited about the move or still doubtful of the pieces in play?

mngopher35
04-20-2016, 02:44 PM
Thibs is the guy I wanted from the start, very pumped. I think the playoff drought will finally end next season!

Hawkeye15
04-20-2016, 02:47 PM
hawk you seem to be erring on the side of caution..are you excited about the move or still doubtful of the pieces in play?

oh I am thrilled. Obviously Layden's track record in NY was a long time ago, and the place was a **** show around that time.

But I couldn't be happier with the outcome.

effen5
04-20-2016, 02:48 PM
Yeah I said this in the bulls forum - Thibs won't deal with Gar or Pax. If anything he will try and rape them in a deal.

Stunner
04-20-2016, 02:51 PM
I'm
Not listening to reason , Thibs loves Jimmy and Jimmy loves Thibs . Love beats all you gonna take him , Thibs ain't here for no rebuild he trying to win now . If you don't know you about to know now

Hawkeye15
04-20-2016, 03:03 PM
I'm
Not listening to reason , Thibs loves Jimmy and Jimmy loves Thibs . Love beats all you gonna take him , Thibs ain't here for no rebuild he trying to win now . If you don't know you about to know now

It's not a rebuild. It's a "develop the young talent already on the roster". All he needs to do is take what he has, develop it, and make some tweaks, he doesn't need to start from scratch. This is basically similar to the Thunder job suddenly opening up in 2009, it's about as good of an opportunity as it gets right now.

Stunner
04-20-2016, 03:09 PM
When the wolves role out with

Rubio
Butler
Wiggins
Rhyno
Towns

Next year

DR_1
04-20-2016, 03:15 PM
The Wolves are now my 1b favorite team

effen5
04-20-2016, 03:19 PM
Could you imagine if the Wolves got the number one pick with the talent they already have on that team under Thibs? Jesus christ and here I am stuck with Garpax making dumb ****ing moves or the lack of moves to improve this team year in and year out.

DR_1
04-20-2016, 03:21 PM
Could you imagine if the Wolves got the number one pick with the talent they already have on that team under Thibs? Jesus christ and here I am stuck with Garpax making dumb ****ing moves or the lack of moves to improve this team year in and year out.

Dieng
Towns
Simmons
Wiggins
LaVine

:drool:

smith&wesson
04-20-2016, 03:22 PM
:clap: Twolves fans finally have a bright future to look forward too.

Wiggens, Towns, Laviine, and now Thibs to bring in that defensive culture, and KG to mentor these young talented players. Things are looking good in Minni.

Vincent
04-20-2016, 03:24 PM
Dieng
Towns
Simmons
Wiggins
LaVine

:drool:

Or maybe Brandon Ingram for better spacing

Oefarmy2005
04-20-2016, 03:24 PM
for what we would give up, why bother? Wiggins will basically give us what Butler does in a few years at the same age anyways. May as well build long term.

What about #5+bazz for Butler. I don't know if it's realistic, but do you really think the player you'd get at #5 would be better over the next 4-6 years? Butler does have injury issues though and is super expensive.

DR_1
04-20-2016, 03:25 PM
What about #5+bazz for Butler. I don't know if it's realistic, but do you really think the player you'd get at #5 would be better over the next 4-6 years? Butler does have injury issues though and is super expensive.

Dollars shouldnt be an issue for Minnesota

Oefarmy2005
04-20-2016, 03:27 PM
Does the Thibs signing mean that Bazz and Lavine are automatically out? Neither plays any D whatsoever.

effen5
04-20-2016, 03:31 PM
Does the Thibs signing mean that Bazz and Lavine are automatically out? Neither plays any D whatsoever.

As long as they put effort in like Korver did, theyll be fine.

effen5
04-20-2016, 03:35 PM
As long as the Wolves buy in which they will because Thibs will create that environment and KG will help since KG played under Thibs in Boston, watch out for the Wolves.

One thing you'll get is effort from a Thibs coached team and they'll be dangerous.

SDvikes
04-20-2016, 03:37 PM
I would look to be trading #5 and either Dieng, Bazz, Rubio or Lavine for Vet help...

Would be nice to have a power forward or Center to match with KAT.

Or go after Durant - most likely not possible but

Rubio
Lavine
Wiggins
Durant
KAT

mngopher35
04-20-2016, 03:47 PM

Lavine actually improved throughout the season at least individually vs. his matchup so there is hope. I think the biggest issue for our young guys is not 1v1 defense though it is team defense. Rotations, Pick and Roll, just general knowledge of where to be on the court as the ball switches sides etc. Thibs+experience are going to help a ton in these areas so I wouldn't give up hope on these young guys defensively just yet. Lavine has the tools to at least be a solid defender overall. Maybe give up on Shabazz lol but he is a bench scorer anyways.

Hawkeye15
04-20-2016, 03:53 PM
Lavine actually improved throughout the season at least individually vs. his matchup so there is hope. I think the biggest issue for our young guys is not 1v1 defense though it is team defense. Rotations, Pick and Roll, just general knowledge of where to be on the court as the ball switches sides etc. Thibs+experience are going to help a ton in these areas so I wouldn't give up hope on these young guys defensively just yet. Lavine has the tools to at least be a solid defender overall. Maybe give up on Shabazz lol but he is a bench scorer anyways.

yes. Wiggins is a perfect example. He is an awesome 1-1 defender, but a terrible team defender, because he just doesn't understand where to be regarding rotations, or have any direction as a team defender. Thibs is an expert at walling off the paint, and wearing down teams.

Sly Guy
04-20-2016, 07:25 PM
really like this for the wolves. That young team should be able to eat up the minutes thibs will undoubtedly throw at them. And if they buy into the defensive end, they could be a really good team for years to come

mrblisterdundee
04-20-2016, 11:24 PM
I wonder if the Kings would make him this deal.

mrblisterdundee
04-20-2016, 11:27 PM
As long as they put effort in like Korver did, theyll be fine.

LaVine especially could be an awesome perimeter defender with his size, quickness and athleticism.

IKnowHoops
04-21-2016, 12:25 AM

I hope the wolves don't do anything before the season. Just see what pick we get and draft. If we are going to trade for Butler, I hope its for a Rubio /Dieng combo. I hope we don't part with any of of our young talent. Not even Bazz. Get the number #1 pick and Draft Simmons.

Lavine
Butler
Wiggins
Simmons
Kat

Bazz & Tyus off the bench

IKnowHoops
04-21-2016, 12:31 AM
I would look to be trading #5 and either Dieng, Bazz, Rubio or Lavine for Vet help...

Rubio
Lavine
Wiggins
Durant
KAT

All for this... f it, go after Bron too. F a trade, go after the top free agents. Thibs may be able to sway somebody. Can you imagine...

PG Bron
SG Wiggins
SF Durant
PF Simmons
C KAT

Bench
Lavine
Rubio
Dieng
Bazz

I'll guarantee we win the chip next year. We proabably got the cap to do so. I'd hope cavs would loose just to make this happen. Durant already said Kat is a future Hall of famer. Get it done Thibs.

Twolves88
04-21-2016, 12:51 AM
I hope the wolves don't do anything before the season. Just see what pick we get and draft. If we are going to trade for Butler, I hope its for a Rubio /Dieng combo. I hope we don't part with any of of our young talent. Not even Bazz. Get the number #1 pick and Draft Simmons.

Lavine
Butler
Wiggins
Simmons
Kat

Your last two posts really make me question if you have ever watched the wolves. Lavine is not capable of playing PG. We all saw that this season. In addition rubio is VERY important to this team. Flawed but vital for our franchise to run. The wolves in no way shape or form are in contention for bron or for KD. It would also inhibit our ability to resign core players such as town and wiggins. We are building from the draft.

Right now I think if I am thibs I would go after a defensive PF to pair with towns. Someone that can play D like an old school horace grant. Someone with some grit and the like to knock people around and play defense. Add some toughness to what is too much of a finesse wolves squad.

Mr_Jones
04-21-2016, 01:03 AM
Your last two posts really make me question if you have ever watched the wolves. Lavine is not capable of playing PG. We all saw that this season. In addition rubio is VERY important to this team. Flawed but vital for our franchise to run. The wolves in no way shape or form are in contention for bron or for KD. It would also inhibit our ability to resign core players such as town and wiggins. We are building from the draft.

Right now I think if I am thibs I would go after a defensive PF to pair with towns. Someone that can play D like an old school horace grant. Someone with some grit and the like to knock people around and play defense. Add some toughness to what is too much of a finesse wolves squad.

You should know by now that people on here will post about teams that they hardly watch and give nonsensical solutions. Ignore logic and hear their ideas; they're hilarious.

Scoots
04-21-2016, 01:42 AM
Ron Adams (the man who taught Thibs how to coach D) got Leandro Barbosa and Mo Speights to actually play D so it's possible to get disinterested defensive player to work at it. When the culture is about defense even horrible defenders get a LOT better, and if they want to start they will work or they will sit with Thibs.

Except maybe Harden :)

Scoots
04-21-2016, 01:45 AM
Why are people obsessed with Butler coming to the Wolves? The dude is a cancer ... he was good under Thibs, but that doesn't mean he's good for the team.

A comparison from a different sport, Terrell Owens was not a problem playing with Steve Young, when Steve retired Owens spun out of control then he went to Philly where he'd be playing with a vet QB who would "control" him, but by that point Terrell was all about Terrell and there was no putting that genie back in the bottle.

And why mess with Levine/Wiggins/Towns and crew? They played better and better down the stretch with some really lackluster coaching.

FOXHOUND
04-21-2016, 01:59 AM
Congrats to Minnesota fans after enduring years of pain. This team is going to be excellent.

kobe4thewinbang
04-21-2016, 02:01 AM
Damn. Watch out, NBA. If this happens.

:ohno:

Thibodeau was fighting the seemingly clueless Bulls organization behind the scenes for who knows how long and the Rose injury probably only made it more tenuous. This would be great for the T'Wolves who have had a bad time since KG departed, accusations of racism, not caring about advanced stats, Flip Saunders passing away, etc, etc, and now they have a whole bunch of young studs with Wiggins as the top dog in my eyes, needing defensive guidance and Thibodeau is the man for it.

Let's see if he can hack it in the western conference, but surely he's got the roster to make some noise and those boys can play with a fire on one end already. I wonder what moves he would want to make, and I imagine he's already got something in mind if he's aggressively seeking this much control. I doubt it is only because of what happened in Chicago and he wants more control. He clearly does, but I think it's deeper than that.

So, yeah...this could be exciting as hell! Towns is a beast already and if Wiggins can excel on defense? Woof. Plus, it's perfect considering the team name and all. This would be a good move for the NBA and raise interest.

Yes, I know that Thibodeau allegedly runs down players until they're exhausted, but let's see if it happens again.

effen5
04-21-2016, 03:52 AM
Why are people obsessed with Butler coming to the Wolves? The dude is a cancer ... he was good under Thibs, but that doesn't mean he's good for the team.

A comparison from a different sport, Terrell Owens was not a problem playing with Steve Young, when Steve retired Owens spun out of control then he went to Philly where he'd be playing with a vet QB who would "control" him, but by that point Terrell was all about Terrell and there was no putting that genie back in the bottle.

And why mess with Levine/Wiggins/Towns and crew? They played better and better down the stretch with some really lackluster coaching.

Butler isn't a cancer...the Bulls in general are.

IKnowHoops
04-21-2016, 06:52 AM

Its a dream. You think I think the Wolves are getting Bron and Durant? As for Lavine and Rubio...yeah we need Rubio to have success, now, but I'd trade him to have future success. Plus I'm sure that if we lost Rubio but got Jimmy Butler, the wolves would still be better with Thibs coaching.

naps
04-21-2016, 07:15 AM

Lavine
Butler
Wiggins
Simmons
Kat

Since when?? I thought you were a Heat fan for a couple of years, then you became Cavs fan when LeBron left. Now you are a Wolves fan?

kgformvp21
04-21-2016, 09:06 AM
By some of the comments in here you can tell that alot of people dont really know wolves basketball. I saw something.about a butler trade?!? Hahaha. Also can tell alot of people dont understand the whole rubio and wolves situation. Regsrdless...as a die hard fan, this is a great hire and one that will make me respect glen taylor a little more.

Stunner
04-21-2016, 10:23 AM

You don't know what you're talking about lol Butler isn't a cancer , for that he would have to have a great track record of bad behavior and he doesn't .

Butler just wants to be respected for The hard work he puts and went about it wrong in his first year for trying to be the leader . So yea he's no where near a CANCER bro . We've watched the man grow up , most just think Butler gonna waste his years here and want a full rebuild entirely .

Honestly has more to do with our FO than butler

Wade n Fade
04-21-2016, 01:24 PM
I am not too keen on KAT and Wiggins w/ Thibs because of the "overworking" player knock he has. Rose could've been different if it wasn't for Thibs overplaying players. Wasn't necessary for him to play long vs the 76ers which led to his complete demise with that torn acl.

Heediot
04-21-2016, 01:30 PM
Sign Deng and Gasol to team discount deals. Add Hield or Ivan Rabb in the draft and let Thibs work his magic.

effen5
04-21-2016, 02:02 PM
I am not too keen on KAT and Wiggins w/ Thibs because of the "overworking" player knock he has. Rose could've been different if it wasn't for Thibs overplaying players. Wasn't necessary for him to play long vs the 76ers which led to his complete demise with that torn acl.

1) That was a fluke injury - has nothing to do with overplaying
2) Rose hasn't overworked **** in about 4 years. He's in his own little world.

FlashBolt
04-21-2016, 02:20 PM
Well deserved. He will turn this team into a playoff one next season and a top four team within three. Thibs is a top five coach (Pops>Carlisle>Thibs is my top three) and finally gets rewarded. He did not deserve to get fired after the mess in Chicago that wasn't his fault to begin with.

Twolves88
04-21-2016, 02:25 PM
Its a dream. You think I think the Wolves are getting Bron and Durant? As for Lavine and Rubio...yeah we need Rubio to have success, now, but I'd trade him to have future success. Plus I'm sure that if we lost Rubio but got Jimmy Butler, the wolves would still be better with Thibs coaching.

Buddy. I love that you seem passionate about the wolves however, I have never seen you in the forum. In addition to this you really seem to lack any depth of conversation with how the current team operates to have any clue as to what is best. Rubio is exactly what this team needs. We don't need anymore projects for players. We need to work who we have now. We don't need a wing player like butler and pay him XXX money to keep him around so later we can't afford wiggins and towns. Let's not do what OKC did and get rid of our talent like harden and bring in other "role players". Let the team develop naturally.

FlashBolt
04-21-2016, 02:28 PM
Buddy. I love that you seem passionate about the wolves however, I have never seen you in the forum. In addition to this you really seem to lack any depth of conversation with how the current team operates to have any clue as to what is best. Rubio is exactly what this team needs. We don't need anymore projects for players. We need to work who we have now. We don't need a wing player like butler and pay him XXX money to keep him around so later we can't afford wiggins and towns. Let's not do what OKC did and get rid of our talent like harden and bring in other "role players". Let the team develop naturally.

We didn't get rid of Harden like it was something we wanted to do. There is zero chance Harden becomes the player he is without branching out of OKC. You're sacrificing his maximum ability when we lacked a frontcourt without Ibaka (at the time). So that's inaccurate information. And I don't think Hawkeye will even tell you that Minny needs Rubio. They are stuck with him but he is easily replaceable.

mngopher35
04-21-2016, 02:50 PM
We didn't get rid of Harden like it was something we wanted to do. There is zero chance Harden becomes the player he is without branching out of OKC. You're sacrificing his maximum ability when we lacked a frontcourt without Ibaka (at the time). So that's inaccurate information. And I don't think Hawkeye will even tell you that Minny needs Rubio. They are stuck with him but he is easily replaceable.

Actually Hawk has been quite vocal about Rubio being underrated at this point. I don't think people understand that Rubio had a really good year for us and fills a lot of qualities we need on the team. Lavine/Wiggins are scorers but Rubio is a great passer/playmaker for others, rebounder (for pg), defender which are things we need next to those guys to help round things out.

Twolves88
04-21-2016, 03:07 PM
Actually Hawk has been quite vocal about Rubio being underrated at this point. I don't think people understand that Rubio had a really good year for us and fills a lot of qualities we need on the team. Lavine/Wiggins are scorers but Rubio is a great passer/playmaker for others, rebounder (for pg), defender which are things we need next to those guys to help round things out.

Exactly this. We have what we need in a PG. We would all like to have russell westbrooks ect. However, at this time rubio fits our team. Not to mention his contract is a relative steal in comparison to next years salary cap.

OKC had a choice between Ibaka or Harden for a contract. They chose Ibaka at that time. However, they did have some poor financial management and a cheap owner.

IKnowHoops
04-21-2016, 03:30 PM
Since when?? I thought you were a Heat fan for a couple of years, then you became Cavs fan when LeBron left. Now you are a Wolves fan?

Not a Heat fan or a Cleveland fan. Bron is my favorite player. I'm a Spurs fan and Wolves fan. I'm from MN. Drob is my favorite player ever. Drob was my guy when wolves first got there team. I don't care what team you play for. If I like you as a player, I will cheer for you. Especially when you get hated on a lot.

IKnowHoops
04-21-2016, 03:37 PM
By some of the comments in here you can tell that alot of people dont really know wolves basketball. I saw something.about a butler trade?!? Hahaha. Also can tell alot of people dont understand the whole rubio and wolves situation. Regsrdless...as a die hard fan, this is a great hire and one that will make me respect glen taylor a little more.

With all due respect, Wolves basketball as you knew it, could change big time with this new hire. I hope they don't trade for Butler and allow the young talent on this team to flourish. But I think its fare to bring up Butler seeing as how the wolves just hired his biggest fan who they have given full control to.

Oefarmy2005
04-21-2016, 03:38 PM

I was discusses yesterday, on the local MN radio station about Thibs overworking players bs. Here is a stat for you, Tim Duncan played 39.1, 39.3, 38.9, 38.7, 40.6, 39.3 mpg his first 7 years, and then a moderate 34.5 ish minutes the next 6 years after that, and that's averaging playing about 75 games in those 13 seasons. Garnet averaged about 39 mpg from '96 to 2007. So, Noah's and Rose's injuries have nothing to do with game play time. It could be due to practice time, but both Pop and Flip were known for driving their players pretty hard in practice and both Duncan and KG are known for being first in, last out type of players as far as practice is concerned. So i'll say that the Bulls health issues were much more to do with the players themselves and/or the training staff. Seriously, Noah averaged about 33 mpg under Thibs and he still only played about 67 games per season. Heck, Lebron was averaging about 41 mpg his first 5 years and a conservative 38 the next 6.

IKnowHoops
04-21-2016, 03:50 PM

Look Harder.

I disagree with your take on Rubio for two reasons.
1) By the time our core is ready to win a chip, Rubio's prime will be gone.
2) Rubio cannot shoot and will always cap our overall team strength as someone you don't need to guard
3) I got more I guess. Tyus Jones went to my highschool. He won a national championship in college. He has a super high IQ and a great stroke. He is very young, especially physically but because he can shoot very well...give him 2 more years and he will be a G on this team.
4) I guess I got one more. I don't think a win now approach is the right approach. Id try and trade Rubio for a draft pick that could net a great PG, this year or next year in the draft. Dunn for example this year would be great.

No doubt the Wolves are better with Rubio today.

I'd rather have a young squad all around like OKC had and just not trade anyone away. Let them grow into the team they will become. Rubio is what he is, and is basically capped. I'm not sold that he can be a championship PG. And I like my PG to be pass first with the ability to drop 30, and drain from deep.

Wade n Fade
04-21-2016, 04:14 PM
1) That was a fluke injury - has nothing to do with overplaying
2) Rose hasn't overworked **** in about 4 years. He's in his own little world.

Fluke injury? No, it's common sense that if you play more minutes, no matter garbage or meaningful, you have a higher risk for injury. Playing with less than 2 minutes, up by 12, against a 76ers squad led to Rose tearing his ACL. You bench guys early to avoid injury situations.

effen5
04-21-2016, 04:39 PM
Fluke injury? No, it's common sense that if you play more minutes, no matter garbage or meaningful, you have a higher risk for injury. Playing with less than 2 minutes, up by 12, against a 76ers squad led to Rose tearing his ACL. You bench guys early to avoid injury situations.

You never bench guys in the playoffs. Period. There is no garbage time in the playoffs.

James Harden the last 3 years averaged 37.63 minutes.

James Harden the last 3 years only missed 10 games. Missed one game the last 2 years.

Derrick Missed the entire 2012 season and tore his MCL 10 games into 2013. Are you honestly telling me that isn't a fluke? That's on Thibs pushing Derrick too hard? He only averaged 31 minutes that year.

He only averaged 35 minutes during the season he tore his ACL..

So yeah, your theory is a little off.

JOSKOMANG4
04-21-2016, 04:49 PM
they need to trade for a star PG.

3 WAY Trade:

- Kyrie Irving to Wolves.

L: DIENG/TOWNS/WIGGINS/LAVINE/KYRIE

- TRISTAN THOMPSON TO ROCKETS

L: THOMPSON/JONES/ARIZA/HARDEN/BEVERLY

- DWIGHT HOWARD(S&T), RICKY RUBIO, & WOLVES 2016 1ST RD PICK TO CAVS.

L: HOWARD/LOVE/LEBRON/JR/RUBIO

Chronz
04-21-2016, 05:12 PM
Its official, this team is winning 48 next year and riding a top-5 defense to a first round upset. They are so set its almost criminal. They can literally stand pat, do nothing and watch this team grow into a contender. I really like how everyone compliments each other, they dont really share the same weaknesses or roles, so theres no bad skillset overlap amongst them.

Chronz
04-21-2016, 05:21 PM
Yeah the worst thing they can do to the development of the players is get rid of Rubio without an actual replacement in mind. You may set the franchise back too much by going all in on a youth movement, besides its not like Rubio is 30, hes still in that age bracket (especially as a PG) where he will be a part of the core going forward, hes such a unique player that its worth giving him a group to grow with.

Chronz
04-21-2016, 05:31 PM
Ron Adams (the man who taught Thibs how to coach D) got Leandro Barbosa and Mo Speights to actually play D so it's possible to get disinterested defensive player to work at it. When the culture is about defense even horrible defenders get a LOT better, and if they want to start they will work or they will sit with Thibs.

Except maybe Harden :)

How so? Pretty sure Ron Adams was overseeing poor defenses in Milwaukee when Thibs was part of an elite defensive team in NY and again in Houston and then again with the Celtics and then they finally hooked up in Chicago. When else did they work together and why has Thibs been given the credit as the achitect? I'd argue he learned more from JVG and Morey's supercomputer about defensive strats than anything Adams did in the short time they worked together.

And whos saying Love hasn't worked at? Hes done a significantly better job than he ever did in Minny, hes no longer just chasing defensive boards anymore, sad part is, even the likes of Mo Speights has more defensive talent, both around him (players+staff) and within him (greater length, superior mobility). As far as Leandro Barbosa, cool story but hes not gonna influence a teams defensive stature given his minute role. Do you know how many coaches have tried to get Kyrie to buy in defensively, at some point potential doesn't matter if the guy lacks the brains. Either way, the brains IS a part of that TALENT equation and up to this point in his career, Kyrie truly struggles to understand angles and has no desire to put his body on the line on that end (who knows, maybe its because hes sort of physically fragile).

mngopher35
04-21-2016, 06:10 PM
Yeah the worst thing they can do to the development of the players is get rid of Rubio without an actual replacement in mind. You may set the franchise back too much by going all in on a youth movement, besides its not like Rubio is 30, hes still in that age bracket (especially as a PG) where he will be a part of the core going forward, hes such a unique player that its worth giving him a group to grow with.

I agree, unless some amazing deal were to come along he should be kept. One of the best thing for young scorers with potential can be to have someone out there putting them in the right spot, hitting them when open, or even creating an open look for them on his own which Rubio is capable of. So many people want to put Lavine at point and call the issue solved but that would really hurt the team as a whole as he has proven to have big issues in that role. Capable at times but not a pg. I find it highly doubtful we find a scenario where we trade Rubio and improve on our current potential for next year.

I am so pumped to see what Thibs can do with this group. He seems to be analytic driven in his approach so our offense should just improve with that and further development of young guys. His strength (team defense) is our biggest weakness. So excited to watch this team next year, playoff drought should finally come to an end if healthy.

Kush McDaniels
04-21-2016, 07:11 PM
I hope this works out!

... and doesn't end up like Gentry in NO.

lol, please
04-22-2016, 01:08 AM
With a determination to have full control of an organization, Tom Thibodeau is aggressively pursuing the job with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Thibodeau would like to have final say on player personnel, organizational philosophy and hirings. Currently, that is only being offered by the Wolves.

Thibodeau is willing to consider other jobs without full control if he doesn't get it with the Wolves.

Minnesota ownership is completing its meetings with Thibodeau and Jeff Van Gundy on Monday and is expected to move quickly in making an offer. -Woj

Wow. I think that could be huge for the Timberwolves if it all works out. Kind of exciting.

HouRealCoach
04-22-2016, 02:13 AM

Rubio
Lavine
Wiggins
Durant
KAT

Thinking about trading that pick now is very stupid

Vinylman
04-22-2016, 09:05 AM
Its official, this team is winning 48 next year and riding a top-5 defense to a first round upset. They are so set its almost criminal. They can literally stand pat, do nothing and watch this team grow into a contender. I really like how everyone compliments each other, they dont really share the same weaknesses or roles, so theres no bad skillset overlap amongst them.

better get some outside shooting if they are going to win that many ......

Barring any major FA Signings this is a 35-38 win team next year

FlashBolt
04-22-2016, 12:18 PM
Can I be a Wolves fan or is it too late? :)

DR_1
04-22-2016, 12:39 PM
The ACL tear was inevitable. Rose's playing style led to deteriorating knees.

Hawkeye15
04-22-2016, 12:57 PM

I think that is the high priority. The Wolves after the break were a better 3 point shooting team, but they still have a ways to go. Adding shooters, and some of the guys already on the roster improving in that aspect, are essential

Chronz
04-22-2016, 04:26 PM

Barring any major FA Signings this is a 35-38 win team next year

They are a better shooting team than they've shown, they just had a coach who completely threw away a season for sake of allowing them to develop other less identifiable areas.... I guess

But KAT looks to be a capable shooter to draw out opposing bigs, Wiggins regressed in that area but he should be making his presence felt in transition/defense anyways, Lavine is above average as a shooter for someone with his youth/athleticism.

Vinylman
04-23-2016, 11:46 AM
They are a better shooting team than they've shown, they just had a coach who completely threw away a season for sake of allowing them to develop other less identifiable areas.... I guess

But KAT looks to be a capable shooter to draw out opposing bigs, Wiggins regressed in that area but he should be making his presence felt in transition/defense anyways, Lavine is above average as a shooter for someone with his youth/athleticism.

their outside shooting sucked... 5th worse from 3 in the league...

without significant improvement they aren't going to win the amount of games you projected

which was my point

IKnowHoops
04-23-2016, 03:28 PM
their outside shooting sucked... 5th worse from 3 in the league...

without significant improvement they aren't going to win the amount of games you projected

which was my point

Just remember, the Thunder made a huge jump from one year to the next just by there young pieces getting older. Kat could honestly be the best Center in the NBA next year. Better than AD, better than Boogie. Wiggins could be an all star next year. Lavine could be close to that as well. Now you include the defense by Thibs, I can definitely see them taking a big leap. A guy like Buddy Hield could make an impact in year one as well so. David Robinson brought a Spurs team from 20 to 50 wins as a rookie. It can be done.

mngopher35
04-23-2016, 05:14 PM
I'm not super worried about the shooting to be honest. Part of it has to do with the coaching and another from my expectations that some young guys improve a little. Not that it isn't a need still but if we just draft one (should be in a spot for Murray/Hield) or sign a vet shooter it will add enough I think. Thibs will stress the value of taking one step back and hitting the 3 while it seems many of our plays were set up for long jumpers. Wiggins shot 24.3% of his shots this year from 16ft-3pt and only 14.7% from 3 in part due to that offense.

Since February which is right around the time we finally started playing Lavine/Dieng as starters we seemed improved from 3. We started the year with Prince/KG so that can explain some spacing issues then. Lavine being experimented as a pg also stopped.

Lavine 42.8% on 5.2 attempts per game
Wiggins 40% on 2.3 attempts
Rubio 36.2% on 2.8 attempts
Towns 29.8% on 1.4 attempts
Dieng 31.3% on .5 attempts

If you include Tyus/Shabazz/Bjelica(didn't play the whole time), the potential young group moving forward, shot an average of 36.9% (33.8% season average) and took an average of 17.6 attempts per game over that span (raw estimate since I don't take into account Bjelicas missed time and I didn't calculate the actual totals for the group because it would take more time, just trying to show that the group was solid like it looked). Our bench in general was pretty bad though which is why if we can just add one more good shooter there I think it will be enough. Between this group improving a little (Rubio/Bjelica likely shot higher than they can sustain though) and the coaching changes I don't think shooting will hold us back from 40+ wins even next season.

Scoots
04-23-2016, 09:08 PM
Thibs spent this year traveling around and learning how to run a team and practice in new ways. Supposedly he spent a lot of time talking to the Warriors coaches and players about how they run practice where they get in their work quick and otherwise keep practices light and short and move quick from task to task. My guess is he's going to put efficiency above work.

My guess is Thibs has a great run in Minny.

Scoots
04-23-2016, 09:16 PM
40 wins would be a good year next year.

LongIslandIcedZ
04-23-2016, 09:30 PM
Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

FlashBolt
04-23-2016, 09:33 PM
40 wins would be a good year next year.

Where does Thibs take this team in terms of defense? Top ten? They are terrible defensively. Let's hope Thibs solves that.

Scoots
04-23-2016, 09:59 PM
Where does Thibs take this team in terms of defense? Top ten? They are terrible defensively. Let's hope Thibs solves that.

Top 10 would be a miracle in his first year.

5ass
04-23-2016, 10:10 PM
Top 10 would be a miracle in his first year.

i think if you can add a couple of FAs its very possible. Teams go from one of the worse to top 10 (or reverse) more often than you think.

5ass
04-23-2016, 10:16 PM
Thibs spent this year traveling around and learning how to run a team and practice in new ways. Supposedly he spent a lot of time talking to the Warriors coaches and players about how they run practice where they get in their work quick and otherwise keep practices light and short and move quick from task to task. My guess is he's going to put efficiency above work.

My guess is Thibs has a great run in Minny.
Yes i dont get why people think coaches cant improve, but even if he's not their Steve Kerr, he's their Mark Jackson. The guy that teaches them how to win. Its a great move either way. This is going to be amazing IMO. I definitely see them building a championship team. Towns, Lavine and Wiggins are so young. Thibs will handpick their veteran teammates, and those guys will help them grow. You know he'll pick the guys with the right attitude.

Scoots
04-23-2016, 10:27 PM
i think if you can add a couple of FAs its very possible. Teams go from one of the worse to top 10 (or reverse) more often than you think.

Yeah, but top 10 is a LONG way to go for this team :)

effen5
04-24-2016, 10:42 AM
This team will win at least 45 next year

Scoots
04-24-2016, 11:37 AM
This team will win at least 45 next year

That would be a HUGE leap in the first year with a new coach. Thibs did it before with the Bulls but the situation was different.

Also if the Jazz, Grizzlies, and Pelicans are healthier (can't be much worse). If the Rockets, Blazers, and Nuggets improve which are also likely changes if for different reasons. Even the Lakers may be better next year without Sir Chuckalot. Then it's going to be harder to get a lot of those wins next year than they were this year.

effen5
04-24-2016, 01:25 PM
Obviously a different situations but for me the wolves talent is there. Thibs went from a 42 win team to a 62 win team just implementing his system and playing guys to their strengths. Don't be shocked if the wolves do it

mngopher35
04-24-2016, 02:40 PM
I'm thinking mid 40's for wins as well based off our talent (and play over last 2 months when Mitchell finally played them) and thibs records with the Bulls. Never below .500 and when he first took over for a bad coach he improved them by 20 wins. I think we have enough talent for him to make the same kind of jump.

5ass
04-24-2016, 02:43 PM
i think they'll be able to get the 8th seed in the weak western conference.

Scoots
04-24-2016, 03:09 PM
i think they'll be able to get the 8th seed in the weak western conference.

I think the West will be a lot stronger next year overall.

5ass
04-24-2016, 04:24 PM
I think the West will be a lot stronger next year overall.

maybe, but it's still going to be weak compared to the east IMO. if anything i think the east is going to improve more than the west.

Aleksandar
04-24-2016, 08:12 PM
Considering how horrible Mitchell's coaching has been, I wouldn't be surprised if Thibodeau can push us to the playoffs next season.

Scoots
04-25-2016, 10:52 AM
I'm up for an increase to .500 next year, but the playoffs is going to be HARD to do.

Vincent
04-25-2016, 12:26 PM
Obviously a different situations but for me the wolves talent is there. Thibs went from a 42 win team to a 62 win team just implementing his system and playing guys to their strengths. Don't be shocked if the wolves do it

And a complete roster overhaul.... That 42 win Bulls team was drastically different from that 62 win Bulls team.

Scoots
04-25-2016, 01:58 PM
And a complete roster overhaul.... That 42 win Bulls team was drastically different from that 62 win Bulls team.

And they did it in a fairly weak eastern conference. A lot of things change from year to year and we have no idea which teams will go up or down from year to year. What we do know is that the Wolves SHOULD get better, and a LOT better.

Hawkeye15
04-25-2016, 02:25 PM
before I go predicting next years win total, need to see who they draft, and what changes are made to the roster.

If they stood pat right now, and we get the average output from a #5 pick, I would throw out 40 wins for next year. But my prediction will probably move around depending on what moves they make.

KnicksorBust
04-25-2016, 02:43 PM
Wiggins for Butler who says no?

Pierzynski4Prez
04-25-2016, 02:50 PM

Neither, as Thibs or the Bulls FO will likely never be picking up the phone to speak to one another. If they did, it would be more than they talked the last year that Thibs was HC.

KnicksorBust
04-25-2016, 02:56 PM
Neither, as Thibs or the Bulls FO will likely never be picking up the phone to speak to one another. If they did, it would be more than they talked the last year that Thibs was HC.

Wouldn't the GM be making the call? Isn't that going to be someone other than Thibs? I wonder how often petty personal differences have prevented professional teams from making trades.

Hawkeye15
04-25-2016, 03:01 PM
Wouldn't the GM be making the call? Isn't that going to be someone other than Thibs? I wonder how often petty personal differences have prevented professional teams from making trades.

I don't get why the Wolves would do that, even if Thibs loves Butler. Wiggins is basically a young Butler, why not just let him develop and be the same age as Towns/Lavine, etc?

KnicksorBust
04-25-2016, 03:07 PM
I don't get why the Wolves would do that, even if Thibs loves Butler. Wiggins is basically a young Butler, why not just let him develop and be the same age as Towns/Lavine, etc?

Sure I mean if you want to hope Wiggins gets the rest of the way to Butler that would make sense but with Thibs you instantly get that synergy and you know Butler and Towns give you two top 20 players going into next season. You make the playoffs with Butler. Wiggins is a risk.

mngopher35
04-25-2016, 03:10 PM

I kinda hope we would say no. Wiggins has the potential to be Butler (maybe better even but gotta wait and see) down the road but his prime will line up exactly with Towns/Lavine. I really like the group we have right now with just a few pieces added so I wouldn't trade the future for a current stud at the moment unless it was a little more in our favor.

Hawkeye15
04-25-2016, 03:24 PM
Sure I mean if you want to hope Wiggins gets the rest of the way to Butler that would make sense but with Thibs you instantly get that synergy and you know Butler and Towns give you two top 20 players going into next season. You make the playoffs with Butler. Wiggins is a risk.

I really, really, really hope Thibs was told when hired, don't go into win it all now mode. There is no way, that KAT, or Wiggins should be traded. Especially not for a 26 year old, just because Thibs coached him. It would make no sense at all. Why eat that cap money and give up more than Wiggins (cause you would have to in order to make the trade work), for Butler?

Besides, I can't see either Thibs, or Chicago wanting to even deal with each other.

effen5
04-25-2016, 03:58 PM
I bet Wiggins in 2 years will be better than Butler under Thibs.

mngopher35
04-25-2016, 04:20 PM

I haven't been extremely high on Wiggins but I could see this in a couple/few years. I think Thibs is a great fit to help him reach his potential. He can already score but Thibs might help him figure out the other areas of his game and push him to be well rounded (rebounding/defense have major potential to improve).

Hawkeye15
04-25-2016, 04:24 PM

even if he isn't as good, do we risk losing that additional 6 years we get in the age difference/contracts?

I don't think so

5ass
04-25-2016, 04:44 PM
yeah i think the wolves should offer everyone except Towns and Wiggins for Butler. Lavine, Dieng, 5th pick, Muhammad, ect. for Butler would be amazing for the Wolves, but i dont see it being enough to land Butler. If you can convince the Bulls to take that package though you do it without hesitation IMO.

Hawkeye15
04-25-2016, 05:12 PM
for the life of me, I don't understand why anyone is even bringing up Butler to the Wolves. He plays the same position and has the same skillset as Wiggins, who is 6 years younger, cheaper, and fits better LONG term.

They need shooters and experience. They have the star power in a year or two.

Bostonjorge
04-25-2016, 05:20 PM
Minny needs to keep Wiggins. Who doesn't want to see minny win a title and see Wiggins holding up the trophy in Cleveland? They are one young prime time talent from becoming the coolest team since OKC with Durant, Westbrook and Harden.

Vincent
04-25-2016, 05:36 PM
for the life of me, I don't understand why anyone is even bringing up Butler to the Wolves. He plays the same position and has the same skillset as Wiggins, who is 6 years younger, cheaper, and fits better LONG term.

Totally agree. With a lineup of Rubio/Wiggins/Towns/Dieng?... That's very little floor spacing. Jimmy Butler doesn't really solve that situation. And any deal would most likely have to do with LaVine, Muhammed, or the 1st rounder... all of which would be the most reliable shooters on the team... Doesn't make much sense to me. Especially when you already have a wing slasher like Wiggins.

Hawkeye15
04-25-2016, 05:52 PM
Totally agree. With a lineup of Rubio/Wiggins/Towns/Dieng?... That's very little floor spacing. Jimmy Butler doesn't really solve that situation. And any deal would most likely have to do with LaVine, Muhammed, or the 1st rounder... all of which would be the most reliable shooters on the team... Doesn't make much sense to me. Especially when you already have a wing slasher like Wiggins.

we also have a top 5-6 pick this year. Draft Hield, or Murray, or any other shooter. Dieng probably isn't a long term guy with us, he will command too much money. Maybe look to move him for shooting/defense.

There are plenty of options, but Towns and Wiggins should basically be off the table here.

effen5
04-25-2016, 07:53 PM
And honestly if minny did want to trade for Butler, they have all the leverage right now. Jimmy doesn't fit in with hoibergs so, it's Jimmy who doesn't get along with the front office and head coach, and it's Jimmy who doesn't get along with the vets including noah who the Bulls made a priority in trying to resign which is ****ing stupid.

If I was thibs and the Bulls called him, I'd try and rape them hard for what they did to him.

5ass
04-25-2016, 09:06 PM

well first of all i just want to see Jimmy traded. I want him to be on a championship caliber team. Atleast a 50 win team. I dont trust the Bulls FO. They can barely get him to the play offs.

The thing is you have to consider the ripple effect that a guy like Jimmy has. He'll help the team connect to the new coach, and be a good veteran presence that has play off experience. He'll help both Towns and Wiggins accelerate their development significantly. Wiggins can learn a lot from Jimmy. Whats wrong with having two Butlers on your team? LOL. If Butler can get Wiggins to develop his court vision/awareness and handle that would be great. Towns would love playing with a guy like Butler, who can run an offense. The added play off experience would help him start thinking championship by 23. Maybe move Rubio to accommodate. Brandon Knight? Add a few FA shooters and defenders, and you could have a ~50 win team next season.

Knight
Wiggins
Butler
Ryan Anderson?
Towns

how many games would this team win?

Scoots
04-26-2016, 01:09 AM
I don't understand why a young up and coming team would want to add a guy who is pretty clearly a locker room cancer for huge money and at a talent cost that would be prohibitive.

Hawkeye and I talked about it somewhere ... I think adding a couple mid-priced vets who can teach and lead is all that is really needed for this year.

IKnowHoops
04-26-2016, 04:29 AM

This.

His is bigger, longer, more athletic and more upside. Jimmy has 2 more prime years and then he starts to decline. Wiggins won't even hit his prime for another 4 years and I agree he will be better than Butler in 2. I'ves seen him finish over guys impossibly. His length and athletic ability are beyond rare. I wouldn't trade him.

IKnowHoops
04-26-2016, 04:37 AM
well first of all i just want to see Jimmy traded. I want him to be on a championship caliber team. Atleast a 50 win team. I dont trust the Bulls FO. They can barely get him to the play offs.

The thing is you have to consider the ripple effect that a guy like Jimmy has. He'll help the team connect to the new coach, and be a good veteran presence that has play off experience. He'll help both Towns and Wiggins accelerate their development significantly. Wiggins can learn a lot from Jimmy. Whats wrong with having two Butlers on your team? LOL. If Butler can get Wiggins to develop his court vision/awareness and handle that would be great. Towns would love playing with a guy like Butler, who can run an offense. The added play off experience would help him start thinking championship by 23. Maybe move Rubio to accommodate. Brandon Knight? Add a few FA shooters and defenders, and you could have a ~50 win team next season.

Knight
Wiggins
Butler
Ryan Anderson?
Towns

Yuck! That team will never win a ring though because all the pieces will prime out at different times. The Wolves need towns to be in his prime to win a ring. By the time that happens, Butler is 31, Anderson is out of the league.

If the wolves morphed into this they would be sabotaging a 10 year run of being a top 4 team in the west just to have a 3 year run starting next year. Its beyond dumb in my opinion but...

IKnowHoops
04-26-2016, 04:44 AM
I don't understand why a young up and coming team would want to add a guy who is pretty clearly a locker room cancer for huge money and at a talent cost that would be prohibitive.

Hawkeye and I talked about it somewhere ... I think adding a couple mid-priced vets who can teach and lead is all that is really needed for this year.

The only high priced vet I would add to the wolves would be Kevin Durant as a FA signing because adding him without giving up anything would make the T wolves a serious title contender next year. With Thibs, I wouldn't be surprised if the Wolves won the chip simply by adding KD next season.

KnicksorBust
04-26-2016, 07:01 AM
Yuck! That team will never win a ring though because all the pieces will prime out at different times. The Wolves need towns to be in his prime to win a ring. By the time that happens, Butler is 31, Anderson is out of the league.

If the wolves morphed into this they would be sabotaging a 10 year run of being a top 4 team in the west just to have a 3 year run starting next year. Its beyond dumb in my opinion but...

Sleeping on KAT. Duncan won a ring in year 2. Shaq got to the Finals in year 2. If Towns is a superstar the window opens next season.

KnicksorBust
04-26-2016, 07:02 AM
I'm not going to quote specific people but Jimmy Butler is getting seriously underrated in this thread. He's one of the 5 best two-way players in the NBA and his work ethic would be contagious in Minny with Thibs.

Hawkeye15
04-26-2016, 09:41 AM

Knight
Wiggins
Butler
Ryan Anderson?
Towns

well, I don't care about Butler and his well being, he hasn't been a choir boy.

The Wolves should NOT mess with what they have by doing a mini-overhaul. Adding some vet shooters/glue guys is basically all they need to do, and then just least what they have grow. There is minimal tweaking to do here guys, none of their young core overlap, they all have different strengths, and just need time.

Hawkeye15
04-26-2016, 09:44 AM
I'm not going to quote specific people but Jimmy Butler is getting seriously underrated in this thread. He's one of the 5 best two-way players in the NBA and his work ethic would be contagious in Minny with Thibs.

but there is no reason to throw the bank at Chicago to get him, when you literally have a replica of him coming along in a couple of years is the point.

The last thing you want to do to this roster is go entirely into "win now" mode. Let it grow

Oefarmy2005
04-26-2016, 10:44 AM

Wiggins = Butler and 5 years younger.

FOXHOUND
04-26-2016, 10:53 AM
well, I don't care about Butler and his well being, he hasn't been a choir boy.

The Wolves should NOT mess with what they have by doing a mini-overhaul. Adding some vet shooters/glue guys is basically all they need to do, and then just least what they have grow. There is minimal tweaking to do here guys, none of their young core overlap, they all have different strengths, and just need time.

Aye, I concur :nod:

They already have a group of 5 talented young players starting and another off the bench in Shabazz. They're going to add another with another high draft pick, I hope they get Hield as I think he would fit perfect, and then with Thibs will start winning next year.

I'm a fan of Butler, although less so now with these personality issues he's had this season. People seem to have lost perspective though. Wiggins just averaged 20 PPG as a 20-year old. Butler didn't hit that mark until his breakout at age 25. At age 20, Butler was in college. He wasn't even in the NBA until he was 22. Not only can Wiggins be as good as Butler by next year, he will probably be even better. Year 3 has been a big jumping point for many NBA stars and that's where Wiggins is heading. Let alone how good Wiggins will be when he's 26...

So, Butler for Wiggins, who says no? Thibodeau says no, I'm sure.

KnicksorBust
04-26-2016, 11:35 AM
If I was Minny I probably wouldn't pull the trigger either and I like Wiggins potential a lot so I'm going to let the Butler talk end here.

The Thibs signing was huge though. People forget how shaky those Bulls teams without Rose and he kept them strong by building elite defenses. How high do we believe Minny can rank in defensive rating next year with players like Rubio-Wiggins-KAT? Top 10? Top 7?

Hawkeye15
04-26-2016, 11:48 AM
If I was Minny I probably wouldn't pull the trigger either and I like Wiggins potential a lot so I'm going to let the Butler talk end here.

The Thibs signing was huge though. People forget how shaky those Bulls teams without Rose and he kept them strong by building elite defenses. How high do we believe Minny can rank in defensive rating next year with players like Rubio-Wiggins-KAT? Top 10? Top 7?

lot of youth to be learning a system like Thibs. I am guessing top half of the league in both defense and offense next year. By year 2 of Thibs, I would guess the Wolves are a top 5-7 defense.

like, I can't even imagine Lavine and Shabazz will learn that defense very quickly. Even Wiggins. Rubio and Towns probably pick it up instantly, but the whole reason that defense works is because the entire 5 man unit is a lane cloaking system that acts like a constrictor over 4 quarters.

Scoots
04-26-2016, 08:32 PM
Continuity is under-rated. Add a couple picks a couple mid-price vets, and learn the new system and work work work.