PDA

View Full Version : Would kobe BRYANT make a good head coach?

1_team_1_dream
04-18-2016, 07:07 PM
Does kobe have the personality and attributes to become head coach? i just had this crazy thought of kobe reuniting wih phil to coach the knicks? I know superstars don't make good coaches or GMS but his a leader. what do you guys think ?

jerellh528
04-18-2016, 07:11 PM
I think so.

Vinylman
04-18-2016, 07:21 PM
no... and why would he want to coach?

1_team_1_dream
04-18-2016, 07:23 PM
no... and why would he want to coach?

his so rich why do anything? lol

Vinylman
04-18-2016, 07:48 PM
his so rich why do anything? lol

yep... the most he will do is guest analyst...

he doesn't have the patience for the AAU generation... how anyone does is beyond me

CHANGO
04-18-2016, 07:56 PM
Hell naw, have you hear him talk about his patience and his practices with teammates? That's a recipe for disaster.

TrueFan420
04-18-2016, 07:57 PM
No he won't make a good coach. Its not a question of his competitiveness or knowledge of the game. Personality doesn't seem like a good fit for coaching.

PhillyFaninLA
04-18-2016, 08:17 PM
He got Shaq traded, the Lakers went down hill, he almost got himself traded, he was a selfish player, he didn't help make his teammates better, the game was about him....a coach needs to foster unity not rip a team to shreds....with that said please make him the head coach of the Lakers or Cowboys

DboneG
04-18-2016, 09:07 PM
No. Like Magic when he was trying to coach. Kobe is a jerk.

TheNumber37
04-18-2016, 09:29 PM
No.
I See him having the most success away from basketball.

He needs to do everything that Jay-Z is doing, except Rap.
Use the Global Mamba brand to make $$$ and be a humanitarian.

Jamiecballer
04-18-2016, 09:36 PM
Nope

Scoots
04-18-2016, 09:42 PM
No. Most superstars are crazy and don't understand why everybody else isn't crazy the same way too.

Gander13SM
04-18-2016, 09:48 PM
I really doubt it, superstars very rarely make good coaches/GMs

He would be an excellent color commentator/analyst. I bet he has some great anecdotes, would love to hear his opinion on some of the young guys coming through the ranks as well.

But he could make more money elsewhere.

slaker619
04-18-2016, 09:55 PM
Hell no

AntiG
04-18-2016, 11:28 PM
probably not. You've got to have some great patience for mediocrity and crappiness to be a coach.

More-Than-Most
04-18-2016, 11:30 PM
I think so.

Could you see him coaching a guy like Lebron who coasts for a good bit of the regular season? Or see him coaching a russell who clearly doesnt take the game as serious as he should? He would lose his **** and literally get fired for beating players up. The dude is the biggest work horse of the game and expects others to work as hard as he does and that is an amazing ethic to have as a star player but horrid for a coach esp when youd be coaching kids.

Lakers + Giants
04-18-2016, 11:40 PM
He would expect all players to have the same drive and work ethic as him. He's also very impatient and has a short fuse, no way in hell he could coach imo.

pacofunk64
04-18-2016, 11:48 PM
No I don't think he would be a good coach. He couldn't get the every day effort that he put in from the players. I think that would frustrate him. Same reason MJ wouldn't be either.

naps
04-18-2016, 11:56 PM
**** no

KB24PG16
04-19-2016, 12:05 AM
probably not, i could see him mentoring players in the offseason but thats about it

Laker Legend42
04-19-2016, 12:25 AM
Heck no. Not everybody wants to practice at 3am. I also don't see anything basketball related holding his attention for too long.

McAllen Tx
04-19-2016, 04:11 AM
Hell no he wouldn't make even a good coach.

I also don't think he would be a good reporter\analyst. Not that he don't know his stuff but he's boring as hell. He's not funny, he's not hip and when he talks he's always trying to be PC. Everything he says always seems too calculated.

He would probably be a great writer, I would probably enjoy reading his articles but I have no interest seeing him calling games live.

Aust
04-19-2016, 04:37 AM
No. He's already gone on the record of saying he wouldn't want to, especially when it comes to managing egos and trying to work with divas.

Toronto Homer
04-19-2016, 08:32 AM
I think Kobe would be very good at a lot of things, but I don't think coaching would be one of them. His biggest strengths are work ethic and instincts. It's hard to legislate work ethic, and you can't teach instincts. It's like when Wayne Gretzky tried coaching. He seemed frustrated that the players couldn't see things developing the same way he did. I think Kobe could be okay as a coach, but I don't think he would want that.
I think he could be a good GM or Assistant GM though, and I could see him being interested in learning that trade. I think he would be good on TV too. He has options and I am sure he will do well in whatever path he chooses going forward.

PowerHouse
04-19-2016, 08:57 AM
When has ANY former superstar player had any real success as a head coach?

And please dont bring up Lenny Wilkens, he was a very very good player but never a superstar.

Hawkeye15
04-19-2016, 09:22 AM
Absolutely not. Kobe doesn't have the patience to coach.

Tony_Starks
04-19-2016, 09:57 AM
He got Shaq traded, the Lakers went down hill, he almost got himself traded, he was a selfish player, he didn't help make his teammates better, the game was about him....a coach needs to foster unity not rip a team to shreds....with that said please make him the head coach of the Lakers or Cowboys

Do you really believe such hogwash or is it just fun for you to perpetuate this corny narrative?

Hawkeye15
04-19-2016, 10:09 AM
Do you really believe such hogwash or is it just fun for you to perpetuate this corny narrative?

I mean, Kobe demonstrated over time he would make an awful coach. He throws guys under the bus, was called out by Phil many times for being distant, has ex-teammates that loathe him, etc.

Type A personalities don't make good coaches. He isn't the first, won't be the last...

Tony_Starks
04-19-2016, 10:31 AM
I mean, Kobe demonstrated over time he would make an awful coach. He throws guys under the bus, was called out by Phil many times for being distant, has ex-teammates that loathe him, etc.

Type A personalities don't make good coaches. He isn't the first, won't be the last...

Oh he'd make a horrible coach, the same way Magic made a horrible coach. All time greats usually make horrible coaches becuase they expect players to have their work ethic and strive for excellence. ( with the exception of Bird).

I just find it funny he used that he tried to use the corny narrative of Kobe doesn't make players better, which his been disproven time and again, as the reason he wouldn't make a good coach. ( he also has way more players that love and respect him than "loathe" him btw).

Magic made EVERYONE better and was still a bad coach so that logic is totally flawed and comical...

Hawkeye15
04-19-2016, 10:34 AM
Oh he'd make a horrible coach, the same way Magic made a horrible coach. All time greats usually make horrible coaches becuase they expect players to have their work ethic and strive for excellence. ( with the exception of Bird).

I just find it funny he used that he tried to use the corny narrative of Kobe doesn't make players better, which his been disproven time and again, as the reason he wouldn't make a good coach.

Magic made EVERYONE better and was still a bad coach so that logic is totally flawed and comical...

oh sure, I agree with all of that dude.

I mean, being a great player makes others better by itself haha, so don't even pay attention to the flawed logic.

Wade n Fade
04-19-2016, 11:10 AM
Kobe isn't the supportive type. He can be very callous towards teammates. I wouldn't want to play for a coach that has a huge ego like his either.

RaiderLakersA's
04-19-2016, 07:06 PM
No. Kobe has a very deep knowledge of the game, but it takes a degree of patience and the ability to get the best out of others, especially lesser talents, that he simply does not have. That is true of most greats. It's one thing to get others to play up to expectations as role players, but something else to get them to play at a consistently winning level on their own. Anyone who doesn't already have the will or the God given talent would be completely tone deaf to Kobe's coaching.

That said, he's welcome to prove me wrong.

numba1CHANGsta
04-19-2016, 07:51 PM
Nope

Laker Legend42
04-19-2016, 07:56 PM
It would be funny to see him trying to check himself into a game

NYKalltheway
04-21-2016, 08:01 AM
No but I think he'd make a good GM.

KnicksorBust
04-21-2016, 11:46 AM
When has ANY former superstar player had any real success as a head coach?

And please dont bring up Lenny Wilkens, he was a very very good player but never a superstar.

Russell, Bird, West. How many former superstars have failed? Guys like MJ, Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, Hakeem, Oscar, Moses were never even head coaches in the NBA. The ratio is not as lopsided as people make you believe. Especially when you factor in that if you drop down from "superstar" status and allow all-stars or role players then you have Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Doc Rivers, Larry Brown, Jerry Sloan, etc. Those are some of the greatest coaches ever.

I think Kobe could be a great coach if he wanted to be. His dedication and understanding of the game are virtually unmatched.

Hawkeye15
04-21-2016, 01:03 PM
Russell, Bird, West. How many former superstars have failed? Guys like MJ, Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, Hakeem, Oscar, Moses were never even head coaches in the NBA. The ratio is not as lopsided as people make you believe. Especially when you factor in that if you drop down from "superstar" status and allow all-stars or role players then you have Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Doc Rivers, Larry Brown, Jerry Sloan, etc. Those are some of the greatest coaches ever.

I think Kobe could be a great coach if he wanted to be. His dedication and understanding of the game are virtually unmatched.

problem is, as a player, he clearly doesn't have the patience to handle development, and isn't a people person

Would he change as a coach?

PowerHouse
04-21-2016, 01:51 PM

I doubt its fair to count Russell since he was still out on the court playing while coaching. It makes it a little easier to look good as a coach when you get to be out there doing it yourself instead of just relying on just telling a guy how its done.

And for Bird and West, I said real success, not flash in the pan success. Im not neccessarily saying the guy needs rings but how about a couple of Finals apearances at least? Hell even B Scott has that. Or if you somehow think that 2 Finals appearances is an unfair request can we at the very least agree on 400 career wins? Even Bernie Bickerstaff made it that far.

KnicksorBust
04-21-2016, 03:13 PM
problem is, as a player, he clearly doesn't have the patience to handle development, and isn't a people person

Would he change as a coach?

Couldn't you have said the same thing about Bird?

KnicksorBust
04-21-2016, 03:14 PM
I doubt its fair to count Russell since he was still out on the court playing while coaching. It makes it a little easier to look good as a coach when you get to be out there doing it yourself instead of just relying on just telling a guy how its done.

And for Bird and West, I said real success, not flash in the pan success. Im not neccessarily saying the guy needs rings but how about a couple of Finals apearances at least? Hell even B Scott has that. Or if you somehow think that 2 Finals appearances is an unfair request can we at the very least agree on 400 career wins? Even Bernie Bickerstaff made it that far.

I'd love to hear your counter argument of all the superstar coaches that flopped first.

WaDe03
04-21-2016, 04:21 PM
No. It's hard for a player of his caliber to coach. They don't understand why everyone can't do the things that they used to do. Like someone else said it's exactly like Magic.

G_S_W
04-21-2016, 04:26 PM
The Denver Nuggets could use a head coach.

Kyben36
04-21-2016, 04:40 PM
nope.

cg_la00
04-21-2016, 11:35 PM

shaq got himself traded

SonicsvsBulls
05-13-2016, 07:40 AM
No, but not for reasons others think. Those are all false notions. Most superstar players don't care to be a coach for some reason. Maybe because they already have 200 million dollars in the bank. So there are like 3 Superstars that actually tried coaching. Not a big sample size. Magic coaching for 14 games doesn't count either. That is not a sample size and the team had no great players.

I think Pippen and Barkley would make good coaches. Also I think many of the greats were centers and teams just don't like to hire centers to be the head coach standing there in front of the 500 dollar seats every night.

McHale was a great coach and made that Houston team somehow win.

IBleedPurple
05-13-2016, 07:48 AM
The Denver Nuggets could use a head coach.Hilarious, had to veil your deleted rape comment?

ewing
05-13-2016, 12:11 PM
no