PDA

View Full Version : Something needs to change with the 1st and (possibly) 2nd round of the playoffs

mudvayne387
04-18-2016, 01:32 PM
Very little excitement out of the 1/8 2/7 and largely 3/6 match-ups. Would it really be that big of a deal if the NBA switched back to a five game series for the 1st round ? And maybe even a five game series in the 2nd ?

We are going to be in a situation where (more than likely) GS/SA/CLE/MIA are waiting around for the other teams to clinch. I'm not sure it hurts the better teams but it certainly hurts the casual fans of the NBA.

Added a poll with some different structures.

Hawkeye15
04-18-2016, 02:31 PM
yes, the first round is way too long.

I say 5-5-7-7 sounds right.

Big Zo
04-18-2016, 02:33 PM
They're not gonna give up all the revenue, so we're stuck.

JWO35
04-18-2016, 02:45 PM
They're not gonna give up all the revenue, so we're stuck.

This

No way the NBA gives up the millions they make in the useless 1st round games...

Chronz
04-18-2016, 02:45 PM
Agreed, Tmac wouldve made the 2nd round had they never made the change which would've helped his legacy amongst the casual fans.

Big Zo
04-18-2016, 02:50 PM
Agreed, Tmac wouldve made the 2nd round had they never made the change which would've helped his legacy amongst the casual fans.

Lol

KingPosey
04-18-2016, 02:50 PM

Yep, I always hated the wrap he got for being a subpar playoff performer because his teams lost. If you ignore the end when he came off the bench, and look at his playoff numbers, youre looking at like top 3 playoff numbers EVER. He dominated the playoffs but never had enough help in those situations.

BallDontLie
04-18-2016, 02:57 PM
first round should go back to 5 games but not the 2nd.

Tony_Starks
04-18-2016, 03:25 PM

He's still Barbershop first ballot HOF! Lol

Chronz
04-18-2016, 03:43 PM
He's still Barbershop first ballot HOF! Lol

I hope so, seems like you have more faith in the laymen than I do

flea
04-18-2016, 06:22 PM
Welcome to the NBA playoffs. Too big, not enough talent, too boring at times. I agree the first round should be shortened again, but I say make it 3. That way we will actually get more upsets while also rewarding 1 and 2 seeds for their regular season play. No more "coast-mode" in the playoffs.

JasonJohnHorn
04-18-2016, 06:37 PM
I like the 7 games. :shrug:

WaDe03
04-18-2016, 06:42 PM
First round was wild last year from what I remember. Bottom 4 teams in the west just suck except for the Blazers. They're the only team that could make a series interesting in the West. East games have been good other than us blowing out the Hornets but that won't happen every game.

Shammyguy3
04-18-2016, 07:01 PM
i had to vote no, because the 2nd round should remain at 7 games. But yes, the first round doesn't need to be 7 games.

More-Than-Most
04-18-2016, 07:07 PM
Welcome to the NBA playoffs. Too big, not enough talent, too boring at times. I agree the first round should be shortened again, but I say make it 3. That way we will actually get more upsets while also rewarding 1 and 2 seeds for their regular season play. No more "coast-mode" in the playoffs.

It cant ever be 3... upsets would happen and that basically screws the better seeds... even bad teams can get hot and win 2 out of 3 games in a sport like basketball... i love upsets more than anyone but this would never be fair to the top teams nor good for basketball... the better team should win and if they lost in a 5 or 7 game series then you tip your cap but losing in a 3 game series would just be bull ****.

Shammyguy3
04-18-2016, 07:26 PM
It cant ever be 3... upsets would happen and that basically screws the better seeds... even bad teams can get hot and win 2 out of 3 games in a sport like basketball... i love upsets more than anyone but this would never be fair to the top teams nor good for basketball... the better team should win and if they lost in a 5 or 7 game series then you tip your cap but losing in a 3 game series would just be bull ****.

The problem with the first round being only 3 games, is in years where the 4th and 5th seed are both around 50 wins going through a grueling 82-game schedule and it comes down to only three games? Obviously, the 1/8 seeds as 3 games wouldn't really ever be a problem for the better team to win. But, how can you determine who is better between the Celtics and Hawks this season in only 3 games?

It also kind of takes away the difference in playoffs versus the regular season: scouting, adjustments, game tape mean more than at any other point in the season.

My personal favorite would be to do something like this (although, I do acknowledge it is too radical to be passed):

Round 1: best of 5 games
Round 2: best of 7 games, although if one team goes up 3-0 the series is over.
Round 3: best of 7 games, although if one team goes up 3-0 the series is over.
Finals: best of 9 games, although if one team goes up 4-0 the series is over

i've brought up the Finals being a 9-game series in the past like this, but I was surprised nearly everyone that responded to that idea didn't like it

Vinylman
04-18-2016, 07:45 PM
This is what happens with no hard cap... the talent gets concentrated and the playoffs suck until the second round (west) and always (east).

Can't wait for the new CBA when max contracts will be eliminated

Shammyguy3
04-18-2016, 07:54 PM
This is what happens with no hard cap... the talent gets concentrated and the playoffs suck until the second round (west) and always (east).

Can't wait for the new CBA when max contracts will be eliminated

never gonna happen, unless they get rid of guaranteed deals which again is never gonna happen