PDA

View Full Version : If Pop and PJax swapped jobs?

JasonJohnHorn
04-17-2016, 07:26 PM
What would LAL and SAS ended up looking like?

And if you are in the mood, try to guesstimate how Riley would have done were he at the helm of the Kobe/Shaq era.

MTar786
04-18-2016, 06:04 AM
no question phil was the best coach and best scheme to win a championship with shaq and kobe. This does not mean that i think phil is the better coach (between phil and pop)
Im torn between the two. However pop is obviously the better gm and he has the best scouting staff ever imo. pop is the whole package. If i had him instead of phil i wouldnt complain. with that said. Pat isnt on their level. Although pat was probably the best motivational speaking coach ive ever seen.
sorry for the bad typing as im rushing.

eso
04-18-2016, 08:24 AM
Very interesting topic, my take is Horses for courses...
As in PHIL was a master at managing egos and misfits, and could bring them together. While Pop was a master mind at getting the most out of underrated players and was blessed with non arrogant stars. So both had their role on their team. And would struggle in each other shoes in my humble opinion.

Munkeysuit
04-18-2016, 09:09 AM
I respect Pops! I honestly hold him in higher regard than Phil, part of me wants to say Phil was just lucky coaching so much great teams with so many great players, but that's also saying putting ANY coach in Phil's place would have ended with the same results and I don't believe that at all.
Phil definitely had Pops beat in the hardware dept, but in the brains dept? I might have to lean more towards Pops and his style and coaching methods.

Big Zo
04-18-2016, 11:08 AM
no question phil was the best coach and best scheme to win a championship with shaq and kobe. This does not mean that i think phil is the better coach (between phil and pop)
Im torn between the two. However pop is obviously the better gm and he has the best scouting staff ever imo. pop is the whole package. If i had him instead of phil i wouldnt complain. with that said. Pat isnt on their level. Although pat was probably the best motivational speaking coach ive ever seen.
sorry for the bad typing as im rushing.

Pat has just as many rings as Pop, been to more finals, was able to win back to back, and is the only person in NBA history to win a championship in every possible level (Player, assistant, head coach, and executive), yet he's not on Pop's level?

Scoots
04-18-2016, 12:38 PM
Very interesting topic, my take is Horses for courses...
As in PHIL was a master at managing egos and misfits, and could bring them together. While Pop was a master mind at getting the most out of underrated players and was blessed with non arrogant stars. So both had their role on their team. And would struggle in each other shoes in my humble opinion.

This ... with some addendum ... Phil was good at getting stars to play in a system, at knowing when to let them run outside the system, and at developing the supporting talent. Pop is great at building a system to fit the team and developing players to fit the system.

Both had the great fortune of having self-starting star players set the standard on their teams for a long long time which leads to one of the least appreciated aspects of good coaching: IT TAKES TIME TOGETHER. It takes time to build the right habits for a team system and if you don't have it fully integrated it's easy to step out of the system back into bad old habits. With time they look better as coaches because the system, environment and continuity is doing a lot of the work for them. The Warriors got a lot better this year just because it was the 2nd year in the system and it is a team full of self-starting smart players who had been together for a few years.