PDA

View Full Version : The Luke Walton Situation

JasonJohnHorn
04-17-2016, 10:14 AM
Luke Walton guided the Warriors to a 39-4 record, a slightly higher winning percentage than Kerr came away with (which is a fact that is not included to discredit or overvalue the work of either coach).

What is clear is that Walton is more than capable of handling the head coaching duties of this squad and getting the most out of them, even if Kerr's systems deserves much of the credit.

The problem is this: Kerr has a bad back, and reports suggest that he may not be able to continue coaching past this season, or if he does, he may not be able to do it for long. That means the Warriors may need a replacement for him, and Luke Walton is clearly the best option. However, after his stellar performance, a number of teams (the Lakers and Knicks among them), may be or have already expressed an interest in him.

So what do the Warriors due? Offer a big contract to an assistant coach and keep him on the payroll as insurance should Kerr not be able to continue? Or let him go?

And while you are weighing in on this, feel free to include your thoughts on Walton's eligibility for COY and whether he is deserving of the award.

basch152
04-17-2016, 10:40 AM
Pay him big money even if it's as an assistant coach for a year or two. It's not like they don't have the money to pay him and it could be the difference betweem a championship and a finals loss down the road, you never know.

Scoots
04-17-2016, 10:43 AM
I think the NBA should let them be co-COY.

Walton's Dad told him to stay with the Warriors, and it's not like Luke needs to hurry, he's younger than 35 active players in the NBA right now.

Kerr and the team have said that Kerr's back is okay now, it's his migraines that are an issue, but that they too are getting better, if slowly. Kerr is very passionate about coaching so I doubt he gives up quickly.

likemystylez
04-17-2016, 10:51 AM
Luke Walton guided the Warriors to a 39-4 record, a slightly higher winning percentage than Kerr came away with (which is a fact that is not included to discredit or overvalue the work of either coach).

What is clear is that Walton is more than capable of handling the head coaching duties of this squad and getting the most out of them, even if Kerr's systems deserves much of the credit.

The problem is this: Kerr has a bad back, and reports suggest that he may not be able to continue coaching past this season, or if he does, he may not be able to do it for long. That means the Warriors may need a replacement for him, and Luke Walton is clearly the best option. However, after his stellar performance, a number of teams (the Lakers and Knicks among them), may be or have already expressed an interest in him.

So what do the Warriors due? Offer a big contract to an assistant coach and keep him on the payroll as insurance should Kerr not be able to continue? Or let him go?

And while you are weighing in on this, feel free to include your thoughts on Walton's eligibility for COY and whether he is deserving of the award.

Luke has already come out and said he plans on staying with the warriors and that he isnt going anywhere

BKLYNpigeon
04-17-2016, 11:03 AM
Luke has already come out and said he plans on staying with the warriors and that he isnt going anywhere

Luke did Great at the beginning of the season, but lets get real here.

it was,

75% Warriors Roster
10% Kerr being the scenes
15% Luke Walton.

The only team I think Luke should leave for is Minnesota.

Saddletramp
04-17-2016, 11:14 AM
You strike while the iron is hot; Walton should go out there and get a head coaching job. It's funny though, like someone up there said: it's mostly the players getting those results and Kerr's system. Someone is going to be highly disappointed when their point guard isn't Currying it up.

But let's also get real here about the Warriors ownership, they'll pay him whatever to stick around because money doesn't matter to this tech guys. Unless there are league rules capping assistant coaches pay, they'll break him off whatever.

JasonJohnHorn
04-17-2016, 03:38 PM

it was,

75% Warriors Roster
15% Luke Walton.

It's not that I doubt that it was a combination of all of the above (as I mentioned in my post), but I'm curious as to how you came up with those percentages ;-)

Scoots
04-17-2016, 06:03 PM
Knicks requested an interview with Walton.

likemystylez
04-17-2016, 06:04 PM

it was,

75% Warriors Roster
15% Luke Walton.

kinda makes you wonder why people think mark jackson is a good coach. he had the same roster, and got over 50 wins just one out of 3 seasons

KnickNyKnick
04-17-2016, 06:47 PM
Kerr has a bad back? shouldn't have shot all those 3's eh buddy

JasonJohnHorn
04-17-2016, 07:03 PM
kinda makes you wonder why people think mark jackson is a good coach. he had the same roster, and got over 50 wins just one out of 3 seasons

Well... he didn't have the same roster, did he. And the players who were the same were younger and not developed. And he helped many of them to develop.

I think Kerr is better for the team, but I think people are unfairly critical of Jackson's performance there. He may or may not be a great coach, and even if he is, there may be personality issues that impede his coaching abilities, but comparing 2015 Curry to 2011 Curry is not fair. I mean, comparing 2016 Draymond to 2015 Draymond is not even fair.

Jackson did a good job with that roster. Perhaps he could have done better, but the Warriors weren't ready to compete for a title when he was there, though they could have pushed a little deeper into the playoffs, especially that last year.

JasonJohnHorn
04-17-2016, 07:13 PM
You strike while the iron is hot; Walton should go out there and get a head coaching job. It's funny though, like someone up there said: it's mostly the players getting those results and Kerr's system. Someone is going to be highly disappointed when their point guard isn't Currying it up.

But let's also get real here about the Warriors ownership, they'll pay him whatever to stick around because money doesn't matter to this tech guys. Unless there are league rules capping assistant coaches pay, they'll break him off whatever.

I understand the sentiment here, but at the same time, you have to be selective when you can be.

Take Gwyneth Paltrow for example. Before she hit it big, she was offered a spot co-starring in a studio film with a hot young musician whose star was on the rise. But under the advice of her mother, she turned down the role of love interest in Cool As Ice (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0406678/?ref_=nv_sr_1#actor) starring Robert Van Winkle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla_Ice). She instead picked film like Hard Eight and eventually won an Oscar.

If Luke were to say, pick the Knicks, or Lakers, or Nets, and get paid a 5 mill+5 year contract, he'd look like $#!T, and then, like Kurt Rambis and Kevin McHale, would struggle to find work after his first gig.

If he waits for an opportune moment, like Kerr did, and like Phil Jackson did after his Bulls' job was done, then he could land a gig coaching a team that is in a position to win. Take, for example, the Cavs. Now, were Lue to get fired after this season, THAT would be an ideal gig (though it may be offered to more experienced coaches like Thibs).

So, yes, it is important to strike while the iron is hot, but I have a feeling like this iron will stay pretty hot for a couple seasons at least, so he may want to wait until he is offered a position coaching a playoff team or title contender. Otherwise, I'd stick with the Warriors until a good offer comes along. You know, like Riker stuck as first officer on the Enterprise until he was offered captain on a good ship.

Scoots
04-17-2016, 07:14 PM
Well... he didn't have the same roster, did he. And the players who were the same were younger and not developed. And he helped many of them to develop.

I think Kerr is better for the team, but I think people are unfairly critical of Jackson's performance there. He may or may not be a great coach, and even if he is, there may be personality issues that impede his coaching abilities, but comparing 2015 Curry to 2011 Curry is not fair. I mean, comparing 2016 Draymond to 2015 Draymond is not even fair.

Jackson did a good job with that roster. Perhaps he could have done better, but the Warriors weren't ready to compete for a title when he was there, though they could have pushed a little deeper into the playoffs, especially that last year.

We've been telling him these things for a YEARS ... I don't think they are going to get through to him today, but good luck!

likemystylez
04-17-2016, 08:31 PM

well, jackson ran a ton of isolation sets- so he didnt even give draymond green the chance to really shine. also steph curry off the ball is more effective.

Its hard to believe that every player on the roster just magically got significantly better (sans david lee who was injured to start the yr) as soon as jackson left. The more likely explanation is that jackson was not getting the most out of his talent. I honestly thought jacksons system was like the worst possible system for the type of talent he had on his roster.

Scoots
04-17-2016, 08:48 PM
Walton has turned the Knicks down. That was quick.

slaker619
04-17-2016, 08:58 PM
He deserves more credit

likemystylez
04-17-2016, 09:08 PM

LOL well he has repeatedly said he wants to stay with the warriors, and that he is happy where he is.

Saddletramp
04-17-2016, 09:54 PM
I understand the sentiment here, but at the same time, you have to be selective when you can be.

Take Gwyneth Paltrow for example. Before she hit it big, she was offered a spot co-starring in a studio film with a hot young musician whose star was on the rise. But under the advice of her mother, she turned down the role of love interest in Cool As Ice (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0406678/?ref_=nv_sr_1#actor) starring Robert Van Winkle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla_Ice). She instead picked film like Hard Eight and eventually won an Oscar.

If Luke were to say, pick the Knicks, or Lakers, or Nets, and get paid a 5 mill+5 year contract, he'd look like $#!T, and then, like Kurt Rambis and Kevin McHale, would struggle to find work after his first gig.

If he waits for an opportune moment, like Kerr did, and like Phil Jackson did after his Bulls' job was done, then he could land a gig coaching a team that is in a position to win. Take, for example, the Cavs. Now, were Lue to get fired after this season, THAT would be an ideal gig (though it may be offered to more experienced coaches like Thibs).

So, yes, it is important to strike while the iron is hot, but I have a feeling like this iron will stay pretty hot for a couple seasons at least, so he may want to wait until he is offered a position coaching a playoff team or title contender. Otherwise, I'd stick with the Warriors until a good offer comes along. You know, like Riker stuck as first officer on the Enterprise until he was offered captain on a good ship.

Good coaches don't need a stacked team to be competitive. So you're basically implying that he ain't ****.

Scoots
04-17-2016, 10:17 PM
LOL well he has repeatedly said he wants to stay with the warriors, and that he is happy where he is.

I didn't see him say anywhere that he was not going anywhere. If you have do you have a link?

What surprised me is that he must have replied in 10 minutes which makes me wonder how dumb Phil is to allow the news to get out when the answer was going to be such an instant and emphatic F no.

Allphakenny1
04-17-2016, 10:54 PM

Do you think the Minnesota job is opportune enough? With KAT and Wiggins as young and talented as they are, that may be too much talent to pass up.

Scoots
04-17-2016, 11:03 PM
Do you think the Minnesota job is opportune enough? With KAT and Wiggins as young and talented as they are, that may be too much talent to pass up.

If there is a real possibility of Walton getting the Warriors coaching job on a permanent basis then he's not likely to go anywhere.

TrueFan420
04-17-2016, 11:12 PM

Can't say I'm surprised. No one wants that job. Walton knows he's in a great situation. Just needs to wait for the right gig. Honestly think he should target the Wolves. Great young core to work with.

TrueFan420
04-17-2016, 11:15 PM
Good coaches don't need a stacked team to be competitive. So you're basically implying that he ain't ****.

No coach in any sport can win without talent. Obviously talent isn't the only piece that goes into it but it's a major one.

Jeffy25
04-18-2016, 12:00 AM

And how many times have people said that during the season during a playoff/chip run, only to have things change during the off-season?

JasonJohnHorn
04-18-2016, 09:35 AM

Amazing coaches need great players to win. It is a fact.

You argument suggests that Phil Jackson ain't $#!T because he had Jordan and Pippen, and then Kobe and Shaq, and then Kobe and Gasol. Your argument suggests that Red ain't $#!T because he had the most stacked team in NBA history. And that Pop ain't $#!T because he had DRob ad TD, then TD, Manu and Parker, and then TD, Manu, Parker and Leonard. You are suggesting that Riley ain't $#!T because he had Magic and Kareem and Worthy, and then had Wade and Shaq.

Do you really think a coach like Thibs would take the Nets job right now? Of course not.

You are making a strawman argument here. It's utterly baseless.

JasonJohnHorn
04-18-2016, 09:39 AM
Can't say I'm surprised. No one wants that job. Walton knows he's in a great situation. Just needs to wait for the right gig. Honestly think he should target the Wolves. Great young core to work with.

That might work. I think Monty Williams is an good candidate for that job as well. He really helped Davis's development, and I think he can do the same for Townes. But Walton would be interesting. My only concern is that they don't have the 3-pt shooters for the system he was successful with.

JasonJohnHorn
04-18-2016, 09:41 AM

My only concern is that they don't they don't have the 3-pt shooting to make the system is is comfortable with to work.

But that is a talent young core. If they had a guy like Klay instead of Wiggins, and if Rubio could shoot 3's, I'd say yes in heart beat. But that said, if they had those things, they likely would have been in the playoffs this year ;-)

It is a great young core, but I think there is some re-tooling that yet needs to be done.

TrueFan420
04-18-2016, 10:19 AM
yes they are lacking shooters but that can be fixed with the right draft pick. ZackL has improved shooting and will hopefully continue to. Wiggins better be in the gym hard this summer working on his 3. Wether Walton takes the job or not. That has to be his top priority.

Also the Warriors play with Livingston who can't shoot. The system can be adjusted with Rubio.

ewing
04-18-2016, 10:40 AM
how could be not want the Knick's job?

HeartOfStarks
04-18-2016, 10:41 AM

Phil just tweeted that this isn't true. Take that for whatever it's worth

Stinkyoutsider
04-18-2016, 11:07 AM
If I'm Luke, I stay with the club a few more seasons. Why not have the chance to win another title or 2 and really drive up your price? And, I think with Kerr having health issues, Walton should be ok with staying so he can get a few opportunities to run the team like he did this year. Luke might learn a few more things next season if he hangs around.

The Warriors should pay him so he doesn't get away. Keep him and let him continue to learn and develop. It seemed like Walton ran the team similar to how Kerr would run it so continuity is important for a team like the Warriors.

Scoots
04-18-2016, 11:21 AM
Phil just tweeted that this isn't true. Take that for whatever it's worth

I take that for Phil being embarrassed that news of his interest got out during a playoff push and Walton shut it down to the press within like an hour (to keep it from becoming the story rather than today's game). My guess is Phil didn't want it out in the first place.

Scoots
04-18-2016, 11:27 AM
If I'm Luke, I stay with the club a few more seasons. Why not have the chance to win another title or 2 and really drive up your price? And, I think with Kerr having health issues, Walton should be ok with staying so he can get a few opportunities to run the team like he did this year. Luke might learn a few more things next season if he hangs around.

The Warriors should pay him so he doesn't get away. Keep him and let him continue to learn and develop. It seemed like Walton ran the team similar to how Kerr would run it so continuity is important for a team like the Warriors.

From what I've heard Walton ran the team more toward offense. It was Walton pushing Curry to attempts more than 10 3s a game and who put Draymond as the main distributor in the half court. Kerr came back and chafed with Draymond trying to reign in his offensive game a little (Dray shot a lot worse after Kerr came back, but didn't shoot much less for a while).

Walton and Kerr have different approaches to scheme, but both are good leaders and teachers.

If/When Luke leaves I wonder what other staff the Warriors lose with him and if there are people in line to replace them too.

HeartOfStarks
04-18-2016, 11:32 AM
I take that for Phil being embarrassed that news of his interest got out during a playoff push and Walton shut it down to the press within like an hour (to keep it from becoming the story rather than today's game). My guess is Phil didn't want it out in the first place.

Definitely possible. Speculation though.

As a Knicks fan I wouldn't mind Walton, but I'm honestly not sold on him either. I'm of the opinion that there's literally no way to accurately evaluate his coaching prowess at this point. He was at the helm of the best regular season team in history this year, so that skews my perception of him. Maybe he's a great coach. Maybe he ends up being average or below average. I really have no idea.

I very much want Thibs to be the Knicks hire but it seems like chances of that happening are slim to none. Rambis/Shaw will make me cry but this is what being at the mercy of Dolan and his trickle down acid rain effect does...

Saddletramp
04-18-2016, 01:40 PM
Amazing coaches need great players to win. It is a fact.

You argument suggests that Phil Jackson ain't $#!T because he had Jordan and Pippen, and then Kobe and Shaq, and then Kobe and Gasol. Your argument suggests that Red ain't $#!T because he had the most stacked team in NBA history. And that Pop ain't $#!T because he had DRob ad TD, then TD, Manu and Parker, and then TD, Manu, Parker and Leonard. You are suggesting that Riley ain't $#!T because he had Magic and Kareem and Worthy, and then had Wade and Shaq.

Do you really think a coach like Thibs would take the Nets job right now? Of course not.

You are making a strawman argument here. It's utterly baseless.

My post is long so for all the TL: DR people out there: If he's a good coach, he'll make whatever team he goes to better year by year and as he tinkers with the roster to better suit his style/scheme we'll see if he's good or if he was just lucky to be on the Warriors staff.

It's mainly the players but the system a coach implements has a lot to do with things, too. Walton should go to a middling team and form it to the way he thinks best works. If it works and they're competitive, he's a good coach. If it doesn't then he was just coasting off of someone else's system and the players.

I think Pop is amazing in what he's done with the players he gets. If Walton goes to a team with one or two high picks and then turns other team's cast offs and mid teen draft picks and second rounders into 5 titles in a 15 year or so span then I'll be the first to say Walton is on that level. If Walton goes on to coach a few teams that have multiple Top 50 guys ever (including the GOAT on one team and a top 10ish on another) then I'll still wonder if he ended up mattering when all was said and done.

Kerr has already proved that he could take a great roster that had middling success and tweek it into the best regular season team ever and Finals champion (at least one so far). If Walton goes to, let's say the Rockets or Clippers and they instantly become champs and set insane records then I'll concede Walton is the man.

I look at guys like Stevens, Stotts, Pop, and Carlisle a little different then I look at McHale, Rivers, Brooks, and Spoelstra. Not saying those guys are bad coaches but I wonder if Rivers could lead this Celtics team or Blazers team to a 5 seed.

I look at Alvin Gentry and remember that when he inherited a fast-paced team in the Suns he looked good. When those player started to leave? Not so good. Head assistant with a hand in the system with the Warriors? Looked great and I really thought they would skip a beat after he left and the Pelicans would rise faster but that just was not the case. Now in New Orleans? Even when they were healthy it definitely wasn't the same. Maybe he can make some personnel changes to better fit his system and in a few years the Pelicans will be one of the best teams in the league. If that would be the case then yes I would say that he's great but I'm just not sure he'll be able to do that just yet.

Scoots
04-18-2016, 01:55 PM
Definitely possible. Speculation though.

As a Knicks fan I wouldn't mind Walton, but I'm honestly not sold on him either. I'm of the opinion that there's literally no way to accurately evaluate his coaching prowess at this point. He was at the helm of the best regular season team in history this year, so that skews my perception of him. Maybe he's a great coach. Maybe he ends up being average or below average. I really have no idea.

I very much want Thibs to be the Knicks hire but it seems like chances of that happening are slim to none. Rambis/Shaw will make me cry but this is what being at the mercy of Dolan and his trickle down acid rain effect does...

When I heard word that Phil wanted to interview Walton 1 game into the playoffs I found it unlikely Phil wanted it to get out because a quick "no" would make the Knicks look kinda stupid. Once it was out I think it's certain he would have preferred Walton not talk about it to the press and make it so clear his answer was an instant "no".

So while it is speculation that Phil didn't want it out, the rest of it isn't speculation at all.

I am fairly certain Phil can't call Luke directly, he has to seek permission from the Warriors team. I also think it has to be filed with the NBA. It's not terribly unlikely that there is someone in the NBA offices who helps out the media, possibly someone doing it for the NBA's own media division. The issue is it's one of those questions you don't really want to ask unless you are fairly sure of the answer already.

JasonJohnHorn
04-18-2016, 02:18 PM
yes they are lacking shooters but that can be fixed with the right draft pick. ZackL has improved shooting and will hopefully continue to. Wiggins better be in the gym hard this summer working on his 3. Wether Walton takes the job or not. That has to be his top priority.

Also the Warriors play with Livingston who can't shoot. The system can be adjusted with Rubio.

LaVine has improve his shooting... and if he continues to do so, I get the feeling like he may actually be more valuable to the team than Wiggins.

I know a lot of people are high on Wiggins, but if I could package him up and get a shooter like Klay back in return, I'd do that in a heartbeat. There are a host of players I'd take over him: Leonard, Draymond. He's got a great all-around game, don't get me wrong, but I just feel like Wiggins is more of a throw-back wing; the kind who would have done well int eh 90's, but without a 3-pt shot, is going to struggle in the league today.

We'll see next season if he can step up in that regard. If he does, he'll be great. But a lot of young athletic guys don't feel like they need to shoot well because they can create off the dribble and get high percentage shots near the basket, but that doesn't last long, and defenders learn how to adjust to that.

I actually would have loved to see Love paid with Townes....a stretch 4 with Townes and a good PG who can shoot... throw in LaVine and that is a great team.

I'm curious to see how the T-Wolves handle the draft this year, and also what they do with their back-log of big men. Pek and Dieng are both very tradable assets I think (Pek maybe a little less so due to injury), but throw one of those two in with Wiggins and you'd get a lot of teams willing to take a bite I'd bet.

HeartOfStarks
04-18-2016, 02:22 PM
When I heard word that Phil wanted to interview Walton 1 game into the playoffs I found it unlikely Phil wanted it to get out because a quick "no" would make the Knicks look kinda stupid. Once it was out I think it's certain he would have preferred Walton not talk about it to the press and make it so clear his answer was an instant "no".

So while it is speculation that Phil didn't want it out, the rest of it isn't speculation at all.

I am fairly certain Phil can't call Luke directly, he has to seek permission from the Warriors team. I also think it has to be filed with the NBA. It's not terribly unlikely that there is someone in the NBA offices who helps out the media, possibly someone doing it for the NBA's own media division. The issue is it's one of those questions you don't really want to ask unless you are fairly sure of the answer already.

I don't necessarily disagree with you here, and I think what you're saying makes sense. However, it is speculation that Phil reached out to him at all. You're saying it's not, but it is. Phil denies that happened. So you're speculating that Phil is lying and that whoever reported this is telling the truth. That's speculation.

It's certainly possible. But it's also possible that it's a BS report. Not like that hasn't happened before.

TrueFan420
04-18-2016, 04:21 PM
LaVine has improve his shooting... and if he continues to do so, I get the feeling like he may actually be more valuable to the team than Wiggins.

I know a lot of people are high on Wiggins, but if I could package him up and get a shooter like Klay back in return, I'd do that in a heartbeat. There are a host of players I'd take over him: Leonard, Draymond. He's got a great all-around game, don't get me wrong, but I just feel like Wiggins is more of a throw-back wing; the kind who would have done well int eh 90's, but without a 3-pt shot, is going to struggle in the league today.

We'll see next season if he can step up in that regard. If he does, he'll be great. But a lot of young athletic guys don't feel like they need to shoot well because they can create off the dribble and get high percentage shots near the basket, but that doesn't last long, and defenders learn how to adjust to that.

I actually would have loved to see Love paid with Townes....a stretch 4 with Townes and a good PG who can shoot... throw in LaVine and that is a great team.

I'm curious to see how the T-Wolves handle the draft this year, and also what they do with their back-log of big men. Pek and Dieng are both very tradable assets I think (Pek maybe a little less so due to injury), but throw one of those two in with Wiggins and you'd get a lot of teams willing to take a bite I'd bet.
Give Wiggins time. He will improve his shot. You don't give up on a talent like that and doubt full you'll ever get a fair trade out of moving him. Tho I'd think long and hard about making a move for Jimmy butler for Wiggins in a win now move but keep a young core.

Scoots
04-18-2016, 05:45 PM
I don't necessarily disagree with you here, and I think what you're saying makes sense. However, it is speculation that Phil reached out to him at all. You're saying it's not, but it is. Phil denies that happened. So you're speculating that Phil is lying and that whoever reported this is telling the truth. That's speculation.

It's certainly possible. But it's also possible that it's a BS report. Not like that hasn't happened before.

I took Walton saying no as a fact not as speculation, and if that was true then the rest of it can't reasonably be false. I may be mistaken.

What Phil said was that nobody had been offered the job. That does NOT mean Walton didn't turn it down.

DboneG
04-19-2016, 08:24 PM
I don't understand what everyone see in Luke Walton. After all, the guy just sat there. The players won the game. The assistants whispered in his ear, told him who was in foul trouble, the other team make a big run at you, call time out. Simple. This team will win with Mark Jackson, Steve Kerr, even Luke Walton...just don't mess it up. Let the players play. Luke Walton...I think should stay where he's at for the time being.

Saddletramp
04-19-2016, 08:29 PM
I don't understand what everyone see in Luke Walton. After all, the guy just sat there. The players won the game. The assistants whispered in his ear, told him who was in foul trouble, the other team make a big run at you, call time out. Simple. This team will win with Mark Jackson, Steve Kerr, even Luke Walton...just don't mess it up. Let the players play. Luke Walton...I think should stay where he's at for the time being.

Yeah, they were setting records and winning titles with Mark Jackson. Didn't skip a beat once Kerr showed up. Good call.

DboneG
04-19-2016, 08:44 PM
"Yeah, they were setting records and winning titles with Mark Jackson. Didn't skip a beat once Kerr showed up. Good call." No, they won with Mark Jackson(I didn't say anything about winning titles). They won with Kerr, they won with Walton. The players play the game. They win and lose titles.