PDA

View Full Version : Carson Smith progressing

RedSoxtober
04-17-2016, 08:48 AM
Rehabbing reliever Carson Smith threw 35 pitches of live batting practice in Florida. Farrell said the next week should be a good test for the right-hander, who’s out with a flexor muscle strain in his throwing arm.Boston Herald

GrkGawdofWalkz
04-17-2016, 09:28 AM
Getting Smith back and keeping him healthy will put a lot less strain on Tazawa mainly. It will help as well with Uehara. Barnes has done admirably in his innings so far, but has a track record of losing control. I am excited to see him pitch infront of Kimbrel.

papipapsmanny
04-17-2016, 06:31 PM
I would put Smith as the 7th inning guy. Koji is quietly off to an insane start, I'd leave him as the main setup guy

Barnes/Light/Ramirez/Ross/Vavardo is fine enough for 5th inning duties

RedSoxtober
04-18-2016, 10:46 AM
Two Red Sox pitchers are getting closer to making their 2016 debuts with the big league club.

Reliever Carson Smith, who is dealing with a flexor strain, will pitch simulated games in Fort Myers Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. The plan as of now is to have him go on a rehab assignment after that.

Depending on how things go, it would seem the likely target date for him to rejoin the major league team would be April 29 against the Yankees.weei.com

RedSoxtober
04-18-2016, 10:51 AM
Getting Smith back and keeping him healthy will put a lot less strain on Tazawa mainly. It will help as well with Uehara. Barnes has done admirably in his innings so far, but has a track record of losing control. I am excited to see him pitch infront of Kimbrel.

Barnes seemed to take a step forward at the end of last year. His 20.2IP/17K/7BB was better that the past. He mentioned figuring something out about how to pitch out of the pen in SEP last year -- basically not just throwing as hard as he can b/c he only needs to go an inning. The results were pretty good (better K/BB but the .211/.268/.316 with .241 BABIP stood out most). K/BB has stayed along those lines in both ST and the first couple weeks of the season so hopefully it's not a mirage.

BoSox47
04-18-2016, 11:54 AM
Can we just have an Injuries/DL/call up thread instead of having an edro watch, carson smith progression, pablo sandoval dl, and marco hernandez, vazquez called up threads?

Just a little annoying to have to go back and click on 4 different threads if all the information could just be put in one similar thread.

RedSoxtober
04-18-2016, 03:24 PM
I get what you're saying but we'll probably keep managing the threads as we have for quite some time. Each "event" lends itself to its own discussion that could otherwise be lot in a mixed thread.

BoSox47
04-20-2016, 04:35 PM
Its own discussion? Most of them have only a few replies, where you are actually most of the replies.

RedSoxtober
04-21-2016, 09:05 AM
Its own discussion? Most of them have only a few replies, where you are actually most of the replies.

I cannot help that the discussions are relatively short -- that's a reflection of lower engagement overall due to the Sox lack of success over the last four years.

Pittz
04-21-2016, 10:03 AM
I prefer the threads separate, personally.

RedSoxtober
04-21-2016, 03:46 PM
:cheers:

RedSoxtober
04-21-2016, 03:48 PM
The Red Sox could be getting reliever Carson Smith back soon.

Smith will pitch in an extended spring training game Thursday, the first live game action since suffering a flexor strain early in spring training. He will then throw in another extended spring game Saturday before likely joining an affiliate early next week.

Smith was originally scheduled to throw a simulated game Thursday, but because of how well he’s responded, the team adjusted his schedule to an extended spring game.weei.com

RedSoxtober
04-27-2016, 08:50 AM
Side-arming right-hander Carson Smith could rejoin the club as soon as next week when the Sox begin a three-game series in Chicago against the White Sox, who own the American League’s best record at 15-6.

Smith, who suffered a flexor mass strain late in spring training and has been rehabbing in Fort Myers, is scheduled to pitch for Triple-A Pawtucket on Friday and Saturday with an eye on being activated from the 15-day disabled list soon after that.

“It is realistic, yeah,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said. “We’ll see how the remaining part of the week goes, but that would be a logical goal for all of us.”Boston Herald