PDA

View Full Version : What outcome is best for basketball?

More-Than-Most
04-16-2016, 06:14 PM
In terms of which team winning the championship? Warriors are the most fun team to watch/Lebron is the most known athlete alive/Durant winning means he may stay with the thunder and not feel the pressure of winning now and going to a superteam... And these are only 3 of the teams involved.. Other story lines are the young up and coming celtics/Raptors along with the underrated pacers and the Old Dynasty that is the spurs.... There are so many potential story lines but which is best for basketball in terms of winning a championship?

Scoots
04-16-2016, 06:39 PM
Warriors winning because the Bulls winning saved basketball in the mid 90s and the Warriors are driving the popularity even higher.

What's best then is that several other teams rise up to challenge them with a similar paced attack with a lot of ball movement.

Dade County
04-17-2016, 12:11 AM
1st Best Option: Miami HEAT winning the championship

A team like this coming out of no where and winning it all, would give every other fan base out there hope, that if their organization is ran well, maybe sometime in the near future they can win it all too.

Also, the media could spin it as Lbj, Wade & Bosh never had to team up to win a ring, just have 1 main star player and build around him and you can win it all too.

2nd Best Option: OKC

This would most likely keep KD in OKC, because if he leaves, most likely Westbrook is right behind him; and that will mean OKC will be door mates off the West.

3rd Best Option: Cav's

Lbj Beats Warriors in the Final's, in a Game 7... Yes at Oracle.

BKLYNpigeon
04-17-2016, 12:50 AM
Warriors Winning of course.

Right now they're getting the casual fan watching basketball. in some ways they're like americas team or second favorite team , captivating like Jordan and the Bulls. Or at the very least, the most interesting and entertaining team to watch.

When the Warriors are playing on National TV, The Ratings are 30% higher then any other team. Warriors are #1 in merchandise sales. Under Armors Ugly Curry 2 Shoes are outselling Nike Lebrons.

follow the money.

Scoots
04-17-2016, 01:54 AM

A team like this coming out of no where and winning it all, would give every other fan base out there hope, that if their organization is ran well, maybe sometime in the near future they can win it all too.

Also, the media could spin it as Lbj, Wade & Bosh never had to team up to win a ring, just have 1 main star player and build around him and you can win it all too.

This would most likely keep KD in OKC, because if he leaves, most likely Westbrook is right behind him; and that will mean OKC will be door mates off the West.

I don't know that the Heat winning for the 4th time or LeBron winning for the 3rd time is particularly good for basketball. I don't think either result would captivate the casual fans. "Oh they won again? Okay".

I can see the merits of OKC, but they are not representative of the future trends of the NBA and are probably not going to stay together with yet another limited coach.

The Clippers winning would be good for the NBA because LA ... but I'd hate for Doc/CP3/DJ/Blake to win. :)

jerellh528
04-17-2016, 02:08 AM
Warriors win and they're one of the top 3 teams of all time. Maybe even the top team of all time, because they're going to have to go through the Spurs who are also one of the better teams in history. Back to back rings plus breaking regular season record and going through the Spurs give golden state some historically great cred. I think warriors winning would be best. I would like to see KD get a ring though, he's my current favorite player now that mamba has retired

prodigy
04-17-2016, 03:13 AM
Cleveland winning a ship def. yes I'm bias But I mean unless you have no heart at all or ur team loses to the Cavs you should feel happy for them. Like bout dang time. Plus LeBron coming back to win a title for his home is a great story.

Warriors already won one and are the heavy fav so them winning would just be what everyone expects anyway.

Plus Cavs winning would pretty much assure LeBron stays and a great rivalry could be born between these two teams.

numba1CHANGsta
04-17-2016, 06:05 AM
Warriors going back2back is good for basketball. LeBron going 2-4 in the NBA finals in the last 6 years is good for basketball too lol

Monta is beast
04-17-2016, 06:13 AM
Its unfair but it isnt. Thats gonna be lebrons biggest downfall in terms of all time greats is how often hes lost in the finals

numba1CHANGsta
04-17-2016, 06:26 AM
Its unfair but it isnt. Thats gonna be lebrons biggest downfall in terms of all time greats is how often hes lost in the finals

going 2-7 in the NBA Finals is prob the worst thing to happen to anyone

JasonJohnHorn
04-17-2016, 09:17 AM
For ratings/ I'd say moving the Warriors to LAL and renaming them the Lakers, letting Kobe back on the roster, and then moving LBJ and Wade to NY and putting them in the finals.

LBJ vs. Kobe.
NY vs. LA.

High ratings for sure.

Other than that, a LBJ/Curry re-match that goes to game 7 with Curry coming out on top in triple over over

Sportsguy9695
04-17-2016, 09:17 AM
I would say the best thing for basketball would be for the warriors to win it. if they are in it the ratings will be through the roof cause people will want to watch history. the second best thing would be for James to make it to another finals and win. that would have all his fans and haters watching every game

PowerHouse
04-17-2016, 09:28 AM

Being a Laker fan you should know about a certain legend that we hold in high regard who unfortunately went 1-8 in the Finals. Thats probably the worst thing.

Agent008
04-17-2016, 09:55 AM
It would be a toss-up between the Warriors, Cavs, and Thunder. The Warriors would go down as an all-time great team that would be talked about for years to come. The Cav's would end the city of Cleveland's championship drought and further bolster Lebron's legacy. The Thunder winning would give Durrant his first ring and probably keep him in OKC. All three would be good storylines.

hugepatsfan
04-17-2016, 10:34 AM
Cleveland winning a ship def. yes I'm bias But I mean unless you have no heart at all or ur team loses to the Cavs you should feel happy for them. Like bout dang time. Plus LeBron coming back to win a title for his home is a great story.

Warriors already won one and are the heavy fav so them winning would just be what everyone expects anyway.

Plus Cavs winning would pretty much assure LeBron stays and a great rivalry could be born between these two teams.

Disagree entirely. Lebron trying to win one for CLE is a huge storyline - if he actually does that, the story line ends. If CLE fails the NBA gets that same source of intrigue next year.

hugepatsfan
04-17-2016, 10:38 AM

If you're looking for the "come out of no where" team then why, other than you being a fan, would you pick the Heat? There are such better candidates for that role than MIA. Not that MIA is a favorite or anything, but they're a 3 seed. A 7 or 8 seed would much better fit your reasoning for why MIA would be best.

ewing
04-17-2016, 10:39 AM
IDK, I'd like to see someone challenge the Warriors. I don't think anyone will. They are just so in line with the current direction of the league i feel like having a team that is clearly stylistically different and just a good would be a good thing.

Big Zo
04-17-2016, 10:52 AM

I think Cleveland winning would make it easier for LeBron to do what he wants, which is to GTFO of there.

BKLYNpigeon
04-17-2016, 10:55 AM

No its not.

Being to the finals 6 times and only winning 2 is still GREAT.

Would it be better if lebrun was 2-0 in the finals and just get knocked out in the ECF everytime?
Its incredibly hard to win in NBA, its all dependent on your team and how good your competition is.

Wade n Fade
04-17-2016, 10:56 AM
What about the Clippers? Big market, popular players with Blake and CP3. They're exciting to watch offensively. Validates the little LA brother franchise. Can create a better rivalry between the Warriors and Clippers in the west while San Antonio is still viable to make it a three horse race.

Toronto is also a good option. Lowry and Derozan are good young players. Toronto is a great market for sports. The city is an international destination. Gives the East a viable young squad for years to come. Provides MU the ultimate prize and shows that he is one of the best in the league.

ewing
04-17-2016, 11:58 AM
No its not.

Would it be better if lebrun was 2-0 in the finals and just get knocked out in the ECF everytime?
Its incredibly hard to win in NBA, its all dependent on your team and how good your competition is.

no it isn't great. He chased them and made super teams to do it. "not one, not two, not three, not four...." he knew himself that was the expectation and he couldn't live up to it.

europagnpilgrim
04-17-2016, 01:19 PM

Not really since The Big Dipper was like 2-5 but is widely known as the most dominant solo act in all of sports all time for most part, and Russell won 11 rings in 13yrs and hardly no one(for dumb reasons) puts him top 3-5 ever all time, even though he is especially factoring being the best player on his team and to win as soon as he arrived, also a player-coach

had they kept track of blocks Big Dipper would have avg a triple double for entire career

Whats impressive with Lebron is that he has went to the Finals with all so called small market teams, that's impressive and shouldn't be over looked

J West went like 1-9 in Finals and he somehow got lucky enough to be the official nba logo, so that's not the worst thing it seems to anyone

whats the worst thing is to think someone winning 6 rings is better than someone who almost doubled that total and was a 5x league mvp and not be the GOAT, food for thought i'll do the dishes

europagnpilgrim
04-17-2016, 01:24 PM
best outcome would be a rematch of last years Finals with both teams fully healthy for most part, or a popular underdog team out West(Clipps/Rockets/OKC) vs Cavs

But I feel it will be a Spurs vs Cavs finals since the Spurs are due for finals trip after being out 1st round last year

Scoots
04-17-2016, 01:25 PM
No its not.

And for LeBron's career it's been important to be in the Eastern conference.

LeBron is GREAT, anybody denying it is just deluding themselves. But LeBron has no chance of displacing MJ because the world is more jaded now than then and it's just not possible.

Scoots
04-17-2016, 01:25 PM
What about the Clippers? Big market, popular players with Blake and CP3. They're exciting to watch offensively. Validates the little LA brother franchise. Can create a better rivalry between the Warriors and Clippers in the west while San Antonio is still viable to make it a three horse race.

Toronto is also a good option. Lowry and Derozan are good young players. Toronto is a great market for sports. The city is an international destination. Gives the East a viable young squad for years to come. Provides MU the ultimate prize and shows that he is one of the best in the league.

The Clippers are one of the most hated franchises so no to them, but Toronto I can certainly support.

kdspurman
04-17-2016, 01:57 PM
The Clippers are one of the most hated franchises so no to them, but Toronto I can certainly support.

Who are they most hated by? I know their reputation is of complaining a ton , but not sure if there's more to it. I think if the Clips won itd be good for basketball for sure. Just cause it'd be new blood winning it.

Scoots
04-17-2016, 02:38 PM
Who are they most hated by? I know their reputation is of complaining a ton , but not sure if there's more to it. I think if the Clips won itd be good for basketball for sure. Just cause it'd be new blood winning it.

From SI's list of hated teams from last off-season (Lakers were #1):

2. Los Angeles Clippers — The Clippers have been steadily climbing up these rankings since Chris Paul and Blake Griffin first joined forces. The addition of Doc Rivers has allowed them to corner the NBA market on righteous indignation, and now they’ve added Lance Stephenson and Paul Pierce to their culture of hapless victimhood. With every flop, every incredulous mouth-open shrug at a no-call, every staredown of a retreating official, they cement their place as one of the least likable teams in the league.

They play the perfect heel, from DJ changing his mind, bizarre roster changover over the last 2 years, nepotism, Blake punching a member of the staff, CP3 nutting people every few weeks, all of the complaining, the flopping, the playoff collapses, Doc Rivers, the recent racist owner, to LA itself being perceived as an arrogant and hated city.

kdspurman
04-17-2016, 02:45 PM
From SI's list of hated teams from last off-season (Lakers were #1):

They play the perfect heel, from DJ changing his mind, bizarre roster changover over the last 2 years, nepotism, Blake punching a member of the staff, CP3 nutting people every few weeks, all of the complaining, the flopping, the playoff collapses, Doc Rivers, the recent racist owner, to LA itself being perceived as an arrogant and hated city.

Ah ok.. thanks...

But playing the heel doesn't mean them winning it all isn't good for the league imo. CP3 winning his first title after years of not even getting close would be a great storyline

Nuggninja
04-17-2016, 03:03 PM
In terms of which team winning the championship? Warriors are the most fun team to watch/Lebron is the most known athlete alive/Durant winning means he may stay with the thunder and not feel the pressure of winning now and going to a superteam... And these are only 3 of the teams involved.. Other story lines are the young up and coming celtics/Raptors along with the underrated pacers and the Old Dynasty that is the spurs.... There are so many potential story lines but which is best for basketball in terms of winning a championship?

Warriors everyone likes to watch a dynasty being built and dynasties attract a lot bandwagon fans who want to glom on to a winner, so they can live vicariously through them. And then people like to see dynasties get dethroned.

prodigy
04-18-2016, 02:29 AM
Disagree entirely. Lebron trying to win one for CLE is a huge storyline - if he actually does that, the story line ends. If CLE fails the NBA gets that same source of intrigue next year.

no because the warriors will be clear favs again.

IndyRealist
04-18-2016, 10:18 AM
For the league? Pretty much any result but the Spurs.

Stinkyoutsider
04-18-2016, 10:56 AM
I would have to say the Warriors winning it this year. There's a lot of casual fans and young kids who believe they can grow and have a career like Curry because people believe that they can grow to his size and work hard to become a great player.

To catch all casual fans in all markets, it would be great if the NBA at least went along with the midseason tournament idea so every franchise, no matter how bad a regular season, can have a chance to win a trophy. That and promotion/relegation are 2 ways to get everyone's attention and to keep them. Would be a lot of fans watching a relegation playoffs with teams like the 6ers battling to stay in the league.

ewing
04-18-2016, 11:01 AM
I think the Cavs winning would generate the most interest.

Seahawker562
04-18-2016, 03:03 PM
Having the Clippers win it all. It will prove that even one of the worst franchises in sports history has a shot... never give up on your team. GoClippers

KnicksorBust
04-18-2016, 03:04 PM
I think the Cavs winning would generate the most interest.

Don't underestimate the popularity of Steph Curry...

Cavs/Warriors II would be by far the highest rated potential finals matchups.

Pierzynski4Prez
04-18-2016, 03:26 PM
The best outcome for the NBA only has 1 answer. The Warriors. A repeat Champion like this team is only going to increase the hype of a potential dynasty, which draws people in to watch.

If any other team wins it, it's just another 1 off champion only to be replaced in 2017, which doesn't help the NBA grow as much as a potential dynasty would.

Scoots
04-18-2016, 09:56 PM
Having the Clippers win it all. It will prove that even one of the worst franchises in sports history has a shot... never give up on your team. GoClippers

Wouldn't "your team" be OKC?

Fowl Rick
04-18-2016, 10:14 PM
As a canadian and an nba fan id say the Raptors. When the blue jays finally made the playoffs it got an entire country involved. If the Raptors somehow managed to win a title it would be huge up here. An entire country would be behind that team, it would get millions of non basketball fans to watch the finals

prodigy
04-19-2016, 02:30 AM
Don't underestimate the popularity of Steph Curry...

Cavs/Warriors II would be by far the highest rated potential finals matchups.

ok and the Cavs should win it. because if Warriors win again they would be clear favs next year to and will lose viewers. But next year Cavs vs Warriors tied 1 to 1 would be great basketball.

Aust
04-19-2016, 04:44 AM
OKC pulling off a huge upset against SA/GS and winning it all and also keeping Durant there long-term. Stars staying with their original team is good for basketball.

PhillyFaninLA
04-19-2016, 06:06 AM
Superbowl Sunday, all time great Peyton Manning wins and retires, lets see the Spurs win and Duncan retire.

I think what is best for basketball is Duncan winning an epic 7 game series to the Warriors and follow that up with an epic 7 game series against the Cavs.

Duncan wins again, and retires and one of the best careers any player has ever had is in the books with a championship.

It also means 2016 has 2 all time greats go out on top, and it also shows what the guy who stayed in college and didn't just jump to the pros can do with that extra polish on there game.

PhillyFaninLA
04-19-2016, 06:16 AM

Toronto is interesting to me for selfish bias reasons. With the fingerprints Bryon Calengelo has on that team, if they won it would make me feel like he is capable of building that.

I'm not 100% sure that Toronto would be the best outcome for the NBA though.

Jeffy25
04-19-2016, 08:42 AM
The Warriors need to win for the story line this year. People like dynasties a bit.

But then to have another team come and challenge them next year.

The best thing for basketball is the Warriors and Spurs to meet in the WCF and then play LeBron in the Finals, each series going best of 7

Vampirate
04-19-2016, 11:30 AM
Legacy wise and Basketball Wise, The GSW winning the Championship.

Money wise, any small-mid tier winning it all that would bump them up a tier. A Mid market going large, small market going medium.

Wrigheyes4MVP
04-19-2016, 11:42 AM
Warriors winning is by far the best thing that can happen for the NBA. This team is chasing history. This is where the money is. After that I would say Lebron winning is the next best thing for the league.

Wrigheyes4MVP
04-19-2016, 11:45 AM
The best outcome for the NBA only has 1 answer. The Warriors. A repeat Champion like this team is only going to increase the hype of a potential dynasty, which draws people in to watch.

If any other team wins it, it's just another 1 off champion only to be replaced in 2017, which doesn't help the NBA grow as much as a potential dynasty would.

Pretty much this, although I'd say Lebron beating the Warriors in the finals would be a nice consolation for the NBA. Any other outcome than Warriors winning or Cavs beating Warriors is just another NBA champion.

Wrigheyes4MVP
04-19-2016, 11:50 AM
The storyline of Lebron overcoming the odds and upsetting the vaunted Warriors in the NBA finals would be pretty much as big of a story as the Warriors repeating (only if Curry is healthy though). That would be huge for his legacy and huge for the NBA. At the same time, the Warriors making history with the 73 wins AND a repeat would be great for the NBA. People love dynasties and this Warriors team is very likeable.

prodigy
04-20-2016, 02:58 AM
How can the avg fan wanna see a team repeat over a team winning their very first NBA title and the first Championship for the city in over 53 years?

naps
04-20-2016, 04:08 AM
Lebron is the most known athlete alive?

In the world? He is far from it. Go figure.

Munkeysuit
04-20-2016, 05:15 AM
I would absolutely love Lebron to win one for Cleveland and have that storyline just end! so that the Warriors can just dominate the headlines for the next 5 years or so.

IndyRealist
04-20-2016, 07:45 PM
How can the avg fan wanna see a team repeat over a team winning their very first NBA title and the first Championship for the city in over 53 years?

Because everyone loves a dynasty and everyone hates Lebron.

jason
04-20-2016, 10:46 PM
Because everyone loves a dynasty and everyone hates Lebron.
I wouldn't say everyone hates Lebron.. Actually still loved by media.. I just think nobody cares about Cleveland

MygirlhatesCod
04-20-2016, 10:55 PM

the average fan is enamored with curry. also there is something a bit more appealing about watching a homegrown team win than an assembled one.

Tony_Starks
04-21-2016, 12:12 PM
Bron getting Cleveland a ring in a seven game slugfest against the Warriors would be the dream NBA ending. That would be insane!

Also the Warriors repeating in a toughly contested 7 game series against Cleveland is a great story too, building their Dynasty.

Distant third would be OKC surging as the true underdog and coming out of nowhere for the chip. That would be crazy too.