PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Pacers = Darkhorse?

Rivera
04-16-2016, 03:22 PM
Yes I know it's only one game and the first game of the playoffs

Yes I know I may be over reacting but they have some guys with some playoff expirence

One thing I didn't realize the talent these guys had. They have talent on that roster. Whether it's due to injuries or PG working himself back, new system , people have down years , or whatever the reason was for there regular season they have some talent to make a run to the ECF

Having either a short handed Miami or Charlotte in the second round helps Indiana too

But with a team with players like

Paul George
George Hill
Monta Ellis
Myles Turner
CJ Miles
Rodney Stuckey
Ty Lawson
Solomon Hill
Ian Mahimi

That's a solid 9 man rotation with experience.

Jamiecballer
04-16-2016, 03:29 PM
They will get killed once they get past the raptors. If they get past the raptors.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

R. Johnson#3
04-16-2016, 03:30 PM
If you can contain Paul George you can beat the Pacers. The Raptors proved this today. PG was a ghost in the first half and despite the Raps struggles they had the lead going into halftime. Then PG decided he'd do as he pleases in the 2nd half and the Raps lost.

Rivera
04-16-2016, 03:31 PM
They will get killed once they get past the raptors. If they get past the raptors.

The raptors is a much bigger test to me then the Heat or Hornets who are potential 2nd round opponents. If they get by the raps they should get by the heat or Hawks. Which was the whole point of this thread

Rivera
04-16-2016, 03:35 PM
If you can contain Paul George you can beat the Pacers. The Raptors proved this today. PG was a ghost in the first half and despite the Raps struggles they had the lead going into halftime. Then PG decided he'd do as he pleases in the 2nd half and the Raps lost.

Thank you for responding to the thread and not just throwing a generic or troll response

He went into facilitator mode the first half when the raps were doing work I him. But once he got hot in the 2nd half it was a completely different game.

I also think the raps players heard whispers and played a lot tighter as the game got tighter and tighter

When I say the whispers I meant of the NBA fans thinking they could be over rated due to their recent playoff history (FYI I am not one of them)

Jamiecballer
04-16-2016, 04:00 PM
Thank you for responding to the thread and not just throwing a generic or troll response

He went into facilitator mode the first half when the raps were doing work I him. But once he got hot in the 2nd half it was a completely different game.

I also think the raps players heard whispers and played a lot tighter as the game got tighter and tighter

When I say the whispers I meant of the NBA fans thinking they could be over rated due to their recent playoff history (FYI I am not one of them)
I meant no disrespect I just think if they get past the Raptors (who are playing tighter than a nuns private parts) they will be quite overmatched.

Rivera
04-16-2016, 04:17 PM
I meant no disrespect I just think if they get past the Raptors (who are playing tighter than a nuns private parts) they will be quite overmatched.

Gotcha. A lot of your response are written that way so sometimes with you it's tough to tell if your just blowing the topic off or if that's how you really feel

I can't knock you if that's your real opinion

beasted86
04-16-2016, 04:28 PM
Indiana is a one man offense. It's easy to shut everyone else down and force PG to do everything.

That's what they did with Wade in the playoffs thru 08-10. Made Jermaine O'Neal and Michael Beasley look like they weren't even NBA players.

Ellis is probably more consistent than those 2, but he's still averaging a career low since his rookie season.

FOXHOUND
04-16-2016, 04:39 PM
They won by 10 with DeRozan, Lowry and Valanciunas going 12-46. Not to take anything away from them, but we all know about Toronto's recent playoff history and they didn't do anything to dispel those concerns today. Team played extremely tight and they really needed to win game 1 to shake that.

Rivera
04-16-2016, 04:47 PM
They won by 10 with DeRozan, Lowry and Valanciunas going 12-46. Not to take anything away from them, but we all know about Toronto's recent playoff history and they didn't do anything to dispel those concerns today. Team played extremely tight and they really needed to win game 1 to shake that.

Agreed 1000%. I had the raps in the ECF but today Indy kinda reminded me of who they could be and kind of used to be. They were much better defensively but still

When you have a superstar a secondary scorer and some vets whose been through playoff wars that's usually a good formula for playoff success

IndyRealist
04-16-2016, 05:59 PM
Today had more to do with the Raptors than it did with the Pacers. The Pacers were physical and the refs let them bully Lowry and DeRozan. They didn't adjust. Indiana make a lot of mistakes themselves and while I appreciate them getting out with the win, it felt like the Raptors were deflated more than the Pacers taking control of the game.

Vincent
04-16-2016, 05:59 PM
Dark horse in the sense that they can get to the finals? Or pull off a first round upset?

Because I think their lack of reliable big men is going to hurt them if they get to go deeper

slaker619
04-16-2016, 06:00 PM
Raptors gonna take them more seriously and violate the rest of the series

ewing
04-16-2016, 06:12 PM
they aren't very good. PG is the man and all but even with him playing a great game- monster 2nd 1/2 and the raps top 3 all shooting terribly they were in a tight game down the stretch.

Scoots
04-16-2016, 06:40 PM
All of the Eastern playoff teams can win it all ... it's what's so entertaining about the Easter playoffs right now

Rivera
04-16-2016, 07:15 PM
Dark horse in the sense that they can get to the finals? Or pull off a first round upset?

Because I think their lack of reliable big men is going to hurt them if they get to go deeper

As in they can make the ECF

Vincent
04-16-2016, 07:29 PM
As in they can make the ECF

I never count out the team with the best player on the floor.

If the Pacers get past the Raptors, they would either play the Heat or Hornets. While I think both of those teams are collectively better teams, Paul George is probably the best player in that group of teams.

Dade County
04-16-2016, 08:16 PM
Whiteside would hop on that dark horse ... Um, thats all I got

Raps18-19 Champ
04-16-2016, 09:31 PM
They'll go as far as PG will take them.

Blink
04-16-2016, 11:46 PM
Hence why I wanted Raptors over Cleveland. Damn.

Sadds The Gr8
04-16-2016, 11:47 PM

this. They aren't even that good.

ombada
04-17-2016, 06:52 AM
idk, people are forgetting that the Pacers have a lot of new players playing big roles for the team. They never really had a chance to gel and even the players that were here last year didnt get a chance to play with PG.

They also had two different line-ups and no identity for a large part of the year.

Then theres this...

The Pacers lead the NBA with 39 games in which they were ahead or behind by three points or less in the final minute of regulation. The Pacers are 18-21 in those games.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2016/04/09/season-lost-opportunities-reviewing-pacers-top-bottom-10-close-losses/82803686/

So if they take even half of those close games they dropped they are a 55 win team and pushing Toronto for the second seed. This is a team that has actually under achieved this year. They dropped the ball more times than any other team in the NBA and still came away with a respectable 45 wins.

If they are starting to really get comfortable with each other, have rediscovered their defensive identity and put forth the effort not to give up late game leads, they have the talent and ability to make it to the ECF for sure. Thats a lot of ifs, but none are particularly farfetched.

JasonJohnHorn
04-17-2016, 09:14 AM
They are well coached, and have the best player on the court.

They are in this. But to be honest, if they don't win the next game, I think it will be hard for them to win the series. Toronto isn't going to have a problem going into Indiana and taking a game.

KnicksorBust
04-17-2016, 09:26 AM
The Pacers had basically everything go well for them and the Raptors were still in the game in the 4th. Raps are still going to win the series.

ombada
04-18-2016, 01:15 AM
The Pacers had basically everything go well for them in the second half and the Raptors were still in the game in the 4th. Raps are still going to win the series.

Fixed. Remember, the Pacers were down a higher percentage of the game, on the road, in hostile territory.