PDA

View Full Version : Record broken this season least likely to be broken ever again

numba1CHANGsta
04-15-2016, 03:30 PM
What NBA record (Career, Season, Team, Game, Individual) broken this year is the least likely to ever be broken again? For example, will we ever see a 74-8 team? One record I can't ever see be broken is an NBA player scoring 60 or more points in a game in his 20th or more season in the NBA. I even think Kobe owns the record for the oldest player to score 60 or more points in a game. Whats another record you can't see being broken?

Tony_Starks
04-15-2016, 03:38 PM
Stephs 400 threes. I don't even think Steph himself will break that record, it's ridiculous.

JasonJohnHorn
04-15-2016, 03:57 PM
Kobe's record of 60 points is a matter of situational opportunity.

I hate when people set out to achieve arbitrary records. It's like a guy missing a shot to get a rebound to fill out a triple-double.

Kobe fans but attack this for being negative, but if the Lakers with Wilt weren't contending for a championship, and Wilt just wanted to throw up 60 points on his last game, that would have been easy. Jordan's level of play in his last year, where he was older than Kobe, was much higher; so the season he had on a whole was more impressive; that's what counts in my book.

Giving a guy 50 shots in a game that has no implications on the playoffs doesn't make an impressive record. It's like that time David Robinson needed 60+ points to get the scoring title from Shaq on the last game of the seasons and the Spurs just let him pretty much take all the shots that game and he ended up with 71 points. Sure, it is amazing that he could do that, and not just any player could, but when you undermine a team game to set a personal record... it just rubs me the wrong way.

Kobe's sixty was like a rec game at the YMCA where guys just let the dude who's retiring have his way in the last game to give him one more memory.

As for unbreakable records set this year.... I gotta think 73 wins is it. The Warriors were ahead of the curve on the long-ball game; every team in the league will be looking to bring in bombers to catch up with them this year. The gap won't be so wide between them and other teams, and I can't see another transformation in the game like this unless you get another Shaq-like player that gets drafted by a contender by some fluke chance.

Unless of course the Warriors do sign KD and only have to lose Barnes in the process.

I think the 41-1 mark at home is pretty unbreakable. I mean... the Spurs were close to perfect, but not even the Warriors held their home court as long; if they couldn't do it, I can't think of a team that could.

I think the 400 3's is amazing, but I think it will be broken. If you get a guy like Curry (or even close) on a lottery team, or a fringe playoff team (like Kobe when PJax came back), and the coach just lets one guy dominate the ball all season to sell ticket, the 400 can be broken. Hell... even Curry can snap that next season. And if Klay was playing on another team where he didn't have a superior shooter like Curry sucking up so many shots, he'd be able to top 400 himself.

It's a crazy record, but looking at the direction the game is taking right now, I think it will be broken.

kobe4thewinbang
04-15-2016, 04:54 PM

I hate when people set out to achieve arbitrary records. It's like a guy missing a shot to get a rebound to fill out a triple-double.

Kobe fans but attack this for being negative, but if the Lakers with Wilt weren't contending for a championship, and Wilt just wanted to throw up 60 points on his last game, that would have been easy. Jordan's level of play in his last year, where he was older than Kobe, was much higher; so the season he had on a whole was more impressive; that's what counts in my book.

Giving a guy 50 shots in a game that has no implications on the playoffs doesn't make an impressive record. It's like that time David Robinson needed 60+ points to get the scoring title from Shaq on the last game of the seasons and the Spurs just let him pretty much take all the shots that game and he ended up with 71 points. Sure, it is amazing that he could do that, and not just any player could, but when you undermine a team game to set a personal record... it just rubs me the wrong way.

Kobe's sixty was like a rec game at the YMCA where guys just let the dude who's retiring have his way in the last game to give him one more memory.

As for unbreakable records set this year.... I gotta think 73 wins is it. The Warriors were ahead of the curve on the long-ball game; every team in the league will be looking to bring in bombers to catch up with them this year. The gap won't be so wide between them and other teams, and I can't see another transformation in the game like this unless you get another Shaq-like player that gets drafted by a contender by some fluke chance.

Unless of course the Warriors do sign KD and only have to lose Barnes in the process.

I think the 41-1 mark at home is pretty unbreakable. I mean... the Spurs were close to perfect, but not even the Warriors held their home court as long; if they couldn't do it, I can't think of a team that could.

I think the 400 3's is amazing, but I think it will be broken. If you get a guy like Curry (or even close) on a lottery team, or a fringe playoff team (like Kobe when PJax came back), and the coach just lets one guy dominate the ball all season to sell ticket, the 400 can be broken. Hell... even Curry can snap that next season. And if Klay was playing on another team where he didn't have a superior shooter like Curry sucking up so many shots, he'd be able to top 400 himself.

It's a crazy record, but looking at the direction the game is taking right now, I think it will be broken.I disagree. The Lakers were playing like crap and were getting blown out at the time (similar to the Raptors 81 game) and Kobe was the only one with any relative impact. I'm surprised the Jazz slipped up like that, maybe it was knowing they had gotten knocked out by the underwhelming Rockets, or who knows.

And 22-50 isn't really that bad when you're the only one being guarded. Once you factor in Kobe's style, of course he's going to shoot some hair-scratching attempts, but he actually shot some good ones and showcased his masterful footwork and forgotten driving ability.

Anyway...

I think the 73-9 record will last as long as the Bulls record if not longer.

basch152
04-15-2016, 04:57 PM
Nevermind

Chronz
04-15-2016, 05:09 PM
The part that you're understating JJH, is that the Lakers have pretty much deferred to Kobe all year. He started the season off that way, realized he couldn't quite take over anymore and resigned himself to play more of a team game and announced his retirement. Over the closing weeks with him in better shape he's found the confidence to impose his will more often. Point being, Kobe couldn't have played this well earlier in the year. The man worked hard to go out with this kind of bang.

We all know his career really ended 3 years ago and yes the Jazz lacked the motivation that gave this game a pre season feel at times but they were still following their defensive principles and trying to win the game.

This was no cake walk, the man was exhausted. He legitimately turned back the clock and willed his team to victory in the closing minutes.

What would you rather Kobe do? Sit himself out and force his teammates to play more of a team game without him? That would be a weird message to send but so long as he was on the court, his teammates were going to make sure he carried the offense and he rised to the challenge.

Chronz
04-15-2016, 05:17 PM
I disagree. The Lakers were playing like crap and were getting blown out at the time (similar to the Raptors 81 game) and Kobe was the only one with any relative impact. I'm surprised the Jazz slipped up like that, maybe it was knowing they had gotten knocked out by the underwhelming Rockets, or who knows.

And 22-50 isn't really that bad when you're the only one being guarded. Once you factor in Kobe's style, of course he's going to shoot some hair-scratching attempts, but he actually shot some good ones and showcased his masterful footwork and forgotten driving ability.

Anyway...

I think the 73-9 record will last as long as the Bulls record if not longer.
Nothing like the 81 point game as Kobe tried to get the team involved before succumbing to his last resort. Something he had done with mixed success all year, but last night it was obvious from the opening tip that Kobe was going to be options 1through5. The team can't be faulted too much for not playing as well as they usually do because that's not really giving them the chance to shine. Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't most of the prospects played better without Kobe on the court? Let's not make this too magical, the outcome of the game was secondary to Kobes performance. That wouldn't have been the case if either one of these teams been playing for something relevant. It's almost sad because the way he was playing, he probably could've had eliminated the jazz from the playoffs. Could you imagine that send off? What's the better game for you, 60 pts or 40 and eliminating a playoff team?

kobe4thewinbang
04-15-2016, 08:08 PM
It's almost sad because the way [Kobe] was playing, he probably could've had eliminated the jazz from the playoffs. Could you imagine that send off? What's the better game for you, 60 pts or 40 and eliminating a playoff team?What do you mean? The Lakers won and Houston won so it eliminated Utah. If Houston had lost, would Utah had still made it or been eliminated? Out of the Lakers hands it seemed.

Chronz
04-15-2016, 08:41 PM
What do you mean? The Lakers won and Houston won so it eliminated Utah. If Houston had lost, would Utah had still made it or been eliminated? Out of the Lakers hands it seemed.

Had Houston lost, the Jazz owned the tie breaker and would have made the playoffs with a win against LA. As it was, the Jazz knew they were eliminated from the race before the Lakers game, you have to assume the motivation to win would have been greater if the 8th seed was up for grabs

JordansBulls
04-15-2016, 08:51 PM
Well truth be told the Bulls in 1996 would have won more as well, there last 3 losses of the season were all by 1 point each and they really didn't even seem to care about that Indiana game at the end of the year since they had broken the previous record. Would have been interesting had the Warriors had the 73 wins and then the Bulls came along to break it. Probably would have gotten to like 76 wins. But I doubt anyone will go for the 74 wins unless of course you have two teams the same year chasing it. But even though the Warriors got the 73 wins, there expected Win Loss Ratio was 65-17 while the Spurs this year was 67-15 for Expected Win Loss Ratio while the Bulls Expected Win Loss Ratio was 70-12. Even the next year it was 68-14 and the 1992 team had a 66-16 Win Loss Ratio. All greater than the Warriors 2016 Expected Win Loss Ratio.

ewing
04-15-2016, 09:16 PM
I don't see Kobe game as a record. It was a cool thing but not a record. other guys have scored 60 oldest to isn't a record in my book. It was a cool novelty game and Kobe made it fun. It was something to remember but was more like Magic's allstar game then MJ's 68 vs the celtics

kobe4thewinbang
04-15-2016, 09:17 PM
Had Houston lost, the Jazz owned the tie breaker and would have made the playoffs with a win against LA. As it was, the Jazz knew they were eliminated from the race before the Lakers game, you have to assume the motivation to win would have been greater if the 8th seed was up for grabsI see. I'd say the Jazz would've won in that case, but can't say definitively. Jazz and Lakers got a rivalry history. Still shocked the Lakers got creamed in that last game in Utah.

Scoots
04-15-2016, 10:11 PM
Stephs 400 threes. I don't even think Steph himself will break that record, it's ridiculous.

They were talking on the radio to Walton before the season if it would be possible for Steph to take 15 3s a game and he didn't think so, but later in the season when he was asked about it he said "Maybe". It's a matter of defenses ... if they really deny him the shot then it could stand for a while.

Scoots
04-15-2016, 10:20 PM
The Kobe celebration was never more obvious than at the very end when Hayward committed a lane violation so if Kobe missed he'd get another FT to get to 60. The Jazz were complicit in that 60 which makes it a very special case. Fair play to Kobe, he took 50 shots but he was actually efficient.

Aust
04-16-2016, 02:49 AM
It'll be very rare and might take a long long time, but I can see a 60+ pt finale game for another retiring HOFer someday, assuming their body isn't as burnt out from all of those previous injuries and career minutes that Kobe endured. As it was pointed out, it's a good situational opportunity where your teammates are probably going to feed you the ball. Like for Kobe, a lot of things would have to go right for it to happen(game being at home, playing a team that just barely missed the playoffs and playing for nothing, etc) and they will still have to make those shots.

JasonJohnHorn
04-16-2016, 08:22 AM
The part that you're understating JJH, is that the Lakers have pretty much deferred to Kobe all year. He started the season off that way, realized he couldn't quite take over anymore and resigned himself to play more of a team game and announced his retirement. Over the closing weeks with him in better shape he's found the confidence to impose his will more often. Point being, Kobe couldn't have played this well earlier in the year. The man worked hard to go out with this kind of bang.

We all know his career really ended 3 years ago and yes the Jazz lacked the motivation that gave this game a pre season feel at times but they were still following their defensive principles and trying to win the game.

This was no cake walk, the man was exhausted. He legitimately turned back the clock and willed his team to victory in the closing minutes.

What would you rather Kobe do? Sit himself out and force his teammates to play more of a team game without him? That would be a weird message to send but so long as he was on the court, his teammates were going to make sure he carried the offense and he rised to the challenge.

I agree that it was a great performance. But I also think it was very clearly scripted. It's not like Scott was giving Kobe 50 shots every night. I expected this kind of thing on the last night. And that's fine. No issue with it; I'm just not that impressed.

I'm more impressed with the 20/20 game Duncan had (I think last year, or the year before), to be at that age and do that on a championship contending team. That is far more impressive. And as I mentioned, I'll take Jordan in his last year over Kobe in his final year, even if Kobe had a higher point total one game. A performance like that is anomalous; I'll take steady and consistent play throughout the season. I know Kobe was coming back from an injury that would put most people into retirement, so I'll given him that.

That one gets a golf clap from me ;-)

eDush
04-16-2016, 10:32 AM

I think he can because that's his comfort zone. Kerr's on board giving him the green light all game long :nod:

PowerHouse
04-16-2016, 10:43 AM
I don't see Kobe game as a record. It was a cool thing but not a record. other guys have scored 60 oldest to isn't a record in my book. It was a cool novelty game and Kobe made it fun. It was something to remember but was more like Magic's allstar game then MJ's 68 vs the celtics

63 not 68, and the Bulls lost that game which is important in my book. But Im not saying the 60 was better than MJ's game. The 81 maybe but not the 60.

JasonJohnHorn
04-16-2016, 10:55 AM
63 not 68, and the Bulls lost that game which is important in my book. But Im not saying the 60 was better than MJ's game. The 81 maybe but not the 60.

I don't even think Kobe's 60 was better than Curry's 46 the same night ;-)

ewing
04-16-2016, 12:25 PM
I don't even think Kobe's 60 was better than Curry's 46 the same night ;-)

it probably wasn't but it was still was a cool way for the old man to go out.

Scoots
04-16-2016, 04:17 PM
it probably wasn't but it was still was a cool way for the old man to go out.

This is EXACTLY it. Kobe was long since done, but he was a great player and him getting a good memory to leave on it fine.

Gagan136
04-16-2016, 05:09 PM
i refuse to believe a team will go 74-8

ewing
04-16-2016, 06:08 PM
This is EXACTLY it. Kobe was long since done, but he was a great player and him getting a good memory to leave on it fine.

i agree.

Scoots
04-16-2016, 06:45 PM
i agree.

hehe

numba1CHANGsta
04-16-2016, 08:15 PM
That 40-1 home record could be one record that will never be broken, to go 42-0 at home is insane

ink
04-18-2016, 03:01 PM

Giving a guy 50 shots in a game that has no implications on the playoffs doesn't make an impressive record.

I agree. The volume of shots was ridiculous. In that way it was like the 81 Kobe scored on a very bad Raptors team where the coach, Sam Mitchell, intentionally let Bryant score as much as he liked, believing that would ultimately mean not enough other Lakers would score and that would win them the game. It didn't.

That was another situational record.

ink
04-18-2016, 03:03 PM
To answer the thread, I don't see anyone hitting over 400 3s again or any team topping the new season record of 73-9. Too many things have to go right for too long for that to happen again.

Tony_Starks
04-18-2016, 03:18 PM
I think he can because that's his comfort zone. Kerr's on board giving him the green light all game long :nod:

I just can't see it, he's completely on everyone's radar now. The Spurs have shown that you can switch on the screen and run him off the line, so teams can at least limit his attempts if he started getting close.

Nobody wants to be on the bad end of that record, just like nobody wants to be a Utah and let a old man drop 60 on you regardless of how they do it.

Those are safe.

blahblahyoutoo
04-18-2016, 08:35 PM

he'll break it next year.

valade16
04-19-2016, 10:09 AM
Well truth be told the Bulls in 1996 would have won more as well, there last 3 losses of the season were all by 1 point each and they really didn't even seem to care about that Indiana game at the end of the year since they had broken the previous record. Would have been interesting had the Warriors had the 73 wins and then the Bulls came along to break it. Probably would have gotten to like 76 wins. But I doubt anyone will go for the 74 wins unless of course you have two teams the same year chasing it. But even though the Warriors got the 73 wins, there expected Win Loss Ratio was 65-17 while the Spurs this year was 67-15 for Expected Win Loss Ratio while the Bulls Expected Win Loss Ratio was 70-12. Even the next year it was 68-14 and the 1992 team had a 66-16 Win Loss Ratio. All greater than the Warriors 2016 Expected Win Loss Ratio.

Homerism aside, you do make a good point.

I wonder what the Bulls record would have been if the previous record was 72 wins and conversely, I wonder if GS would have taken their foot off the gas if the previous record was 69 wins.