PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Lin: Too Flagrant Not to Call

mrblisterdundee
04-15-2016, 02:52 PM
Jeremy Lin fan Hsiu-Chen Kuei created a montage of hard fouls on Jeremy Lin she said are examples of bias, according to an article in the New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/15/sports/basketball/jeremy-lin-video-hard-fouls-fan-charlotte-hornets.html?_r=0):

On April 5, Kuei uploaded her finished product, a six-and-a-half-minute video, to YouTube. She called it “Jeremy Lin: Too Flagrant Not to Call (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvaM0pMj-8o).” Piecing together clips of Lin being whacked in the face, clotheslined, bleeding, tumbling to the floor — all without ever drawing a flagrant foul — Kuei tried to convey that Lin, an American-born son of immigrants from Taiwan, was the victim of excessive physicality from opponents and insufficient protection from the league and its referees.

To Kuei’s surprise, the video soon attracted close to a million views, capturing the attention of basketball fans around the world and the eye of the league. With its bruising simplicity, it revived questions about the fairness and consistency of officiating in the N.B.A. and led to conversations about latent racial biases.

IndyRealist
04-15-2016, 02:59 PM
Statistically shown that a referee is more likely to call fouls for people of the same race. There are no Asian referees.

beasted86
04-15-2016, 03:05 PM
To me, all this video shows is how difficult it is to referee games in the NBA.

We can selectively do this with a bunch of players when you are using a season worth of plays.

ewing
04-15-2016, 03:10 PM
it the hair

Chronz
04-15-2016, 04:20 PM

We can selectively do this with a bunch of players when you are using a season worth of plays.

How can you be so sure tho? What if when we look at the "selection" of players, certain trends emerge, racial trends have already been felt

colinskik
04-15-2016, 05:21 PM

Say what? Not a chance in hell. If anything, this video shows the opposite ... how it's simple it is to call fouls for some players (cough, Harden, cough, cough) and not others. We all know certain players get preferential treatment when it comes to fouls, and by that logic, there are also players who don't get calls. Whether this is a product of racism is not for me to say based solely on this video. But this isn't the first time JLin seems to have been the victim of prejudice -- Byron Scott was weirdly anti-Lin as well.

beasted86
04-15-2016, 06:45 PM
How can you be so sure tho? What if when we look at the "selection" of players, certain trends emerge, racial trends have already been felt

It's possible. But I don't think its outrageous enough to make a video and try and start a crusade about it.

Goran Dragic got his teeth knocked out twice this season. One was actually whistled a foul on him, the other was a "play on".

Refs aren't perfect. I didn't watch this video thinking, "damn, the NBA better do something about this"

beasted86
04-15-2016, 06:56 PM
Say what? Not a chance in hell. If anything, this video shows the opposite ... how it's simple it is to call fouls for some players (cough, Harden, cough, cough) and not others. We all know certain players get preferential treatment when it comes to fouls, and by that logic, there are also players who don't get calls. Whether this is a product of racism is not for me to say based solely on this video. But this isn't the first time JLin seems to have been the victim of prejudice -- Byron Scott was weirdly anti-Lin as well.

Nonetheless that was the angle they chose. Maybe I am automatically guarded when the first thing that comes out of their mouth is an accusation of racism.

As far as Byron Scott or any coach being "anti-Lin"... whatever that is. The guy doesn't consistently play defense or move the ball, is streaky and kind of inefficient offensively. Those types of players are easy to end up on the bench or kicked out of the NBA (<-- dare I replace that with "end up in China" for fear of racism).

effen5
04-16-2016, 11:59 AM
The only thing I got from the video is that Jason Terry is a little ***** and james harden is extremely overrated

dhopisthename
04-16-2016, 12:14 PM
I think you could make a video like this for just about every player who goes to the rim a ton. It is the risk of driving to the basket. You will get fouled and sometimes its going to be hard.

Scoots
04-16-2016, 12:41 PM
There are SO many blown calls in every game. I imagine you can find similar results for any penetrating guard over a 6 year career, but that doesn't make them not horrible calls on Lin.

The NBA talked about adding a 4th ref 10 years ago, they should do that now, particularly with the emphasis on the 3 and pace and space in the modern game making officiating even more difficult.

IndyRealist
04-16-2016, 01:43 PM
If you listen to the announcer audio in the clips, you can hear them talk about how Lin gets hit multiple times in the head. If it happens enough that the announcers are spontaneously commenting on it, I think the "you can say this about any player" arguments lack substance.

kobe4thewinbang
04-16-2016, 02:41 PM
Glad it's getting some visibility. Plus, I remember the quote by Lin saying he gets ID'ed at games cuz all Asians look alike. Donald Sterling's can of worms showed there was racism in the NBA so it's not surprising. Referees should be a quality for the game, not a detriment. I remember Kobe got whacked once by the Suns in the face, no call, in a pivotal game. I know it's not the old days with the Bad Boys and all that, but Lin don't deserve that mistreatment.

Oh, by the way...James Harden shoots free throws for every time Lin is fouled without a whistle blowing.

:rimshot:

#favoritismisreal

Scoots
04-16-2016, 03:53 PM
#favoritismisreal

Who said it's not?

Laker Legend42
04-16-2016, 06:27 PM
Some of those happen to a lot of players on any given night. However, the foul by Kobe Bryant and Lamarcus was clearly flagrant.

FlashBolt
04-16-2016, 10:07 PM
You can't make this video for every player and expect the same at all. Jeremy Lin has a reputation for being a fierce attacker of the rim and more often than not, he does get hit and not receive any foul calls. He's been fouled 850 times or so and not a single flagrant has ever been called; think about that. I don't even think Lin expects to receive any calls at all. Harden can bait the refs to a call when a slight breeze touches his beard but Lin gets clobbered and bullied by other players and zero blow the whistle. If they do, it's a common foul at most.

ewing
04-17-2016, 04:48 PM
LeBron gets away with offensive fouls b/c he's black.

Scoots
04-17-2016, 05:49 PM

I thought it was because he's balding :(

ewing
04-17-2016, 05:52 PM
I thought it was because he's balding :(

no its status. same reason Lin doesn't get intentional fouls.

JAZZNC
04-17-2016, 06:02 PM

LeBron also gets fouled constantly and doesn't get the call because he is so big and strong, very similar to how Shaq used to get fouled on all the time and it wasn't called because he had some dignity and didn't just flail wildly every time he gets touched (or not....here's looking at you Harden).

ewing
04-17-2016, 06:04 PM
LeBron also gets fouled constantly and doesn't get the call because he is so big and strong, very similar to how Shaq used to get fouled on all the time and it wasn't called because he had some dignity and didn't just flail wildly every time he gets touched (or not....here's looking at you Harden).

LeBron get the benefit of the doubt more often then not.

colinskik
04-18-2016, 08:17 PM
Nonetheless that was the angle they chose. Maybe I am automatically guarded when the first thing that comes out of their mouth is an accusation of racism.

As far as Byron Scott or any coach being "anti-Lin"... whatever that is. The guy doesn't consistently play defense or move the ball, is streaky and kind of inefficient offensively. Those types of players are easy to end up on the bench or kicked out of the NBA (<-- dare I replace that with "end up in China" for fear of racism).

Read up and the way Byron Scott often singled out Lin in post game interviews and said things about his performance that were pointed and out of character for a coach to say about one of his players publicly. I think there was also evidence he cut his playing time, but like you said, that could actually be a product of his performance, although I remember the vibe surrounding it was more than solely performance based.

I think Lin's deficiencies aren't unique to him. A ton of players have the same weaknesses and get second, third chances to be starters. A lot of it can be situational, but I've always felt there's more to the story when it comes to Lin. It's not just his race. It's also the fact that he went to Harvard, was a D League call up, and became the most famous person in the world for a month. People, players and referees alike, can manifest hatred out of jealously.

Aust
04-19-2016, 04:40 AM
Saw a deadspin article on this a little while ago and almost posted it here. It's an interesting topic, although some of those examples in the video are kind of weak.

Tony_Starks
04-19-2016, 09:33 AM
I have never seen such a totally average player garner so much attention.

He's actually had a solid little season this year but I wish he'd concentrate on his game more instead of playing the victim.

His crusade is getting really old.

IndyRealist
04-19-2016, 10:31 AM

He's actually had a solid little season this year but I wish he'd concentrate on his game more instead of playing the victim.

I don't recall anyone saying he produced this video, or that he complains any more than any other NBA player.

Tony_Starks
04-19-2016, 10:42 AM
I don't recall anyone saying he produced this video, or that he complains any more than any other NBA player.

He didn't produce the video but he has consistently been very vocal over the years about what he perceives as slights against him from everyone from players and coaches to even staff.

ewing
04-19-2016, 10:48 AM

i'm a fan of his and agree with you. Dude just completed his first season where he was a solid contributor over the course of the full season. Do it for another full season and you will start getting calls.

Ball_Out
04-19-2016, 11:26 AM
Its funny, ive been saying this for years. Look at how other players disrespect Lin too, its crazy.