PDA

View Full Version : What if teams had to keep players they drafted?

mrblisterdundee
04-15-2016, 12:55 PM
I was watching the 30 for 30 documentary "Magic Touch" about the Orlando Magic with Shaquille O'Neal and Penny Hardaway. O'Neal said in retrospect, he would have stayed in Orlando, and that teams should have to keep the players they draft.
Let's engage in the hypothetical, and say that, since 1996, teams had to keep the players they drafted, with no free agency for drafted players, and no trading picks. Which teams would have been the best over the past 20 years? Which team would be the best right now?

mrblisterdundee
04-15-2016, 01:04 PM
My money would still be on San Antonio, which would have still had a good chance at drafting Tim Duncan in '97. The team has shown the most expertise in the NBA at developing draft picks, even if they're relatively unheralded.

Scoots
04-16-2016, 02:51 PM
Right now would probably be the Warriors ... but that's a pretty tough one to evaluate.

warfelg
04-16-2016, 08:25 PM
Well looking since '96 Sixers have drafted (First round only):
Allen Iverson, Keith Van Horn, Larry Hughes, Speedy Claxton, Sammy Dalembert, Jiř Welsch, Dahntay Jones, Andre Iguadala, Thabo Sefolosha, Deaquan Cook, Petteri Koponen, Marreese Speights, Jrue Holiday, Evan Turner, Nikola Vučević, Maurice Harkless, Michael Carter-Williams, Joel Embiid, Jahlil Okafor, Enfried Payton

Significant 2nd Rounders:
Lou Williams, Jerami Grant, KJ McDaniels, Lavoy Allen

Take out the retired guys, never came to the NBA, and you're left with a very very strange roster
Holiday/Payton/MCW
Iggy/Sefolosha/Lou Will
ET/Grant/McDaniels
Okafor/Speights/Allen/Harkless
Vucevic/Embiid/Dalenbert

Not a terrible team, but lacks defense, not explosive offensively, has too many on ball players, and doesn't spread the floor all that well.

Agent008
04-17-2016, 12:00 AM
The Thunder come to mind. Westbrook, Harden, Durant, Ibaka, and Adams starting, plus Reggie Jackson, Cameron Payne, Andre Roberson, Nick Collison off the bench.

naps
04-17-2016, 02:50 AM
Spurs and Thunder. First two teams came to mind.

Chronz
04-17-2016, 04:04 AM
It would be dumb and Shaq says alot of stuff that he later contradicts

basch152
04-17-2016, 10:04 AM
The entire nba would be different.

Just look back the last few years. Lebron always stays on the cavs, meaning kyrie is likely on the timberwolves, who also have love likely putting them at least into an 8th seed meaning KAT is likely on the lakers, and wiggins is on the bucks.

Look at how much changed the NBA is just by looking st thr fact that lebron can't leave the cavs.

I'd be willing to bet almost every NBA roster would be different right now top to bottom.

Scoots
04-17-2016, 10:24 AM
I was watching the 30 for 30 documentary "Magic Touch" about the Orlando Magic with Shaquille O'Neal and Penny Hardaway. O'Neal said in retrospect, he would have stayed in Orlando, and that teams should have to keep the players they draft.
Let's engage in the hypothetical, and say that, since 1996, teams had to keep the players they drafted, with no free agency for drafted players, and no trading picks. Which teams would have been the best over the past 20 years? Which team would be the best right now?

You know Penny wasn't drafted by the Magic right?

Scoots
04-17-2016, 10:28 AM

Just look back the last few years. Lebron always stays on the cavs, meaning kyrie is likely on the timberwolves, who also have love likely putting them at least into an 8th seed meaning KAT is likely on the lakers, and wiggins is on the bucks.

Look at how much changed the NBA is just by looking st thr fact that lebron can't leave the cavs.

I'd be willing to bet almost every NBA roster would be different right now top to bottom.

Plus all the traded draft picks would have to go back to their original team and then we'd have to guess who each of those teams would have taken in the draft with what was known then.

JAZZNC
04-17-2016, 11:02 AM
This is a freaking stupid idea. You can't predict what any team would look like because if there was no FA these teams would likely have wildly different records than what they ended up with and therefore wouldn't have the same draft position. I mean just because Shaw said it doesn't mean it's a good idea. He just says stuff like that so people will like him.

Saddletramp
04-17-2016, 10:28 PM

Memphis drafted Love. Was traded draft day for Mayo (iirc).

Jeffy25
04-17-2016, 11:22 PM
It would be dumb and Shaq says alot of stuff that he later contradicts

plus this is a very anti-players rights kind of idea