PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox (4-4) vs Blue Jays (4-5)

RedSoxtober
04-14-2016, 09:28 AM
Game 1: Rick Porcello (1-0, 6.00ERA) vs RA Dickey (1-1, 8.10ERA)
Game 2: Steven Wright (0-1, 1.35ERA) vs Marco Estrada (1-0, 0.00ERA)
Game 3: David Price (1-0, 5.73ERA) vs Aaron Sanchez (0-0, 1.38ERA)
Game 4: Clay Buchholz (0-1, 10.00ERA) vs J.A. Happ (1-0, 2.25ERA)

Game 4 is the Patriot's Day 11:00am start. It's also unusual for another reason: it will be the first game of the season in which the Sox face a LHP starter.

AI
04-14-2016, 02:22 PM
For some reason, I feel pretty good about this series. Think we win 3/4 and might even sweep. Let's see.

RedSoxtober
04-14-2016, 05:20 PM
Hm... there was some murmuring last weekend over the decision to move Price from Sunday to Monday. The hints were out there that the FO pushed for him to pitch a day later to get in front of the Fenway fans. The FO, of course, denied it.

Now Price has been moved up a day, going a day early. Oh, and by the way, Fox picked up the game for broadcast on FS1. I'm sure it's completely coincidental though, right? This could be seriously messed up.

papipapsmanny
04-14-2016, 06:30 PM
We really need to deal from our wealth of guys like Owens, Johnson, Marrero, Devers, Chavis, and try and turn that into a 1/2 pitcher

Station 13
04-15-2016, 08:14 AM
Didn't we just played those clowns? lol

RedSoxtober
04-15-2016, 09:21 AM
We really need to deal from our wealth of guys like Owens, Johnson, Marrero, Devers, Chavis, and try and turn that into a 1/2 pitcher

I'm up for a bit more patience. Not patience necessarily for the four guys following Price but rather for Edro to get back into the mix. If he's able to settle in like he did last year then he's as good a #2 as we're likely to find available after a month of games (the context is pretty important).

Bo Sox Fan
04-15-2016, 07:43 PM
Good luck running against Boston from this point on.

Vazquez' defence is drool. Hanigan ain't bad either.

-Lavigne43-
04-15-2016, 07:46 PM
CV's back, and he's back big!

Bo Sox Fan
04-15-2016, 08:20 PM
PorCYlo with Vazquez.

Porcelblow with Swihart.

papipapsmanny
04-15-2016, 08:35 PM
I'm up for a bit more patience. Not patience necessarily for the four guys following Price but rather for Edro to get back into the mix. If he's able to settle in like he did last year then he's as good a #2 as we're likely to find available after a month of games (the context is pretty important).

We know what we have and we know we are simply running out of room for the said players.... If I am Dave I am looking at the group and seeing if there is anything other there I can turn it into

rufo4100
04-15-2016, 09:36 PM
Porcello looked good tonight. Made the mistake with that fastball in the 6th but otherwise a very good start.

GrkGawdofWalkz
04-16-2016, 09:23 AM
Porcello looked like what we as Sox fans are hoping for. However, at the same time it's been more worse than good. Vazquez was composed and his pitch framing was on. He still is coming back from his TJ, as his release on the ball was not as quick as he goes when healthy. All this nonsense coming out about trying Swihart in LF is a terrible indictment on his progression behind the plate. Just because the team has a hole there long term, you don't move a player from behind the plate who still has upside. Even if his defense has been lackluster so far this season.

Bo Sox Fan
04-16-2016, 11:27 AM
^ There's not a hole in LF long term, Benintendi says hi. If not him, Moncada says hi.

Swihart is nothing more than bait. He and Devers should headline a package for a co-ace #2 when Buchholz goes down in the next 6 weeks.

RedSoxtober
04-16-2016, 11:51 AM
Can't wait to laugh out loud after our starter gets torched again tonight while Shaw gets pinched hit for again and we lose again. #FireFarrell

Porcello on the mound tomorrow to end the misery. LMFAO

PorCYlo with Vazquez.

Porcelblow with Swihart.

Just wanted to get those two out there back to back. Maybe we're a tad reactionary.

FWIW, Speier had an interesting piece on the return of Vazquez on Thursday (subscribe to his 108 Stitches email if you haven't!). The gist of the article was that the 2015 road map for the Sox included pairing GB inducing guys like Porcello with Vazquez, a plan that blew out when Vazquez's elbow did the same. Last year's rotation would not have been WS worthy no matter what, but it's an interesting question as to whether they might have battled for a playoff spot if CV could have stuck around and helped the cause as he clearly did last night. After the game, Porcello credited CV's work in the strike-out/pickoff DP for completely changing his confidence and results in the game.

For his part, Bobby Valentine's favorite mouthpiece Nick Cafardo suggested yesterday that it was a mistake "rushing" Vazquez back into action. He suggested that it was a panic move to replace Swihart after seeing him for only 6 games and CV for 4 in which he had 2 errors. It's always gratifying to see Cafardo SO wrong SO quickly. I hope that he gets a national gig somewhere so the state of Sox reporting can improve.

We know what we have and we know we are simply running out of room for the said players.... If I am Dave I am looking at the group and seeing if there is anything other there I can turn it into
There's no doubt that the pool of talent will include some trade bait. All that I'm saying is that I would not rush into moving those guys right now because the likely return in the SP market is not much better than you'll get in the return of Edro. I'd prefer to wait for him to rejoin the rotation (quite possibly at the expense of Joe Kelly rather than Steve Wright) and see where we are. By Memorial Day we should have pretty good understanding if ER can shoulder the weight.

I think Johnson/Swihart is a decent pair to consider dealing. Owens has gotten off to a great start and he's shown (last year) a tremendous ability to get swings-and-misses. I think he's a #3 type at best but when you've got Price and Edro locked up for a while that's quite alright.

For my part, I kinda like Wright. A knuckleballer is rarely going to be your go-to guy (Dickey and Wake each had a season with an incredible run but not much else) but they're often capable of a 100-105 ERA+ season which is pretty fair for a #5.

papipapsmanny
04-16-2016, 02:46 PM
I agree Edro will be a big addition. I guess my main point is we need to get something out of our excess, we can't just have these players "rot". There are certain points where when you get in this great position of young talent, what you have to turn some of the quantity into quality.

Price, some 2 we trade for, Edro, Buchholz, Porcello looks very nice to me, sends Kelly to the Pen, Wright long man/6th starter

I think a lot of us have underrated what we really have. This is a world series team with a productive rotation behind Price.

Hanley at 1st is not a disaster, our outfield defense is great, we have a lot of depth and positional flexibility. Our bullpen is pretty insane to be honest, especially with Smith.

We can trade from a pool of Johnson/Owens, Chavis, Devers, Marrero, etc and get something pretty damn good in return, and at the very least keep Espinoza, Moncada, and Benintendi

I am really happy we kept Mike Hazen who is essentially and extension of Cherrington. He knows the system, loves the young guys and is the perfect balance to someone like Dave, who will deal when he needs to, but can go overboard. Hopefully they bring each other to equilibrium.

MG956
04-16-2016, 04:01 PM
For some reason, I feel pretty good about this series. Think we win 3/4 and might even sweep. Let's see.

When I first read this I thought you were crazy, then I read it again and looked at what will really happen. It's hard to be objective game by game with all of the negativity being talked about but we have a really good team.

I think you are right. The odds are we win the series, and can sweep if Clay gets it together.

Bo Sox Fan
04-16-2016, 06:17 PM
Toronto kinda blows when there big 3 aren't hitting it over the fence. The rest of their lineup is pretty much an automatic out.

GrkGawdofWalkz
04-17-2016, 09:33 AM
Toronto kinda blows when there big 3 aren't hitting it over the fence. The rest of their lineup is pretty much an automatic out.

It is also early. It's good to see Bogaerts take a ball down and away and pound it out over the monster. That is an encouraging sign. A breath of fresh air to have a starter go out and do their work and not have to be concerned about getting to the pen.

MG956
04-17-2016, 01:12 PM
I can't tell you how much I love us running out a knuckleballer on the one day I can make watching the Sox a project. He did well last time, so fingers crossed. Is Vasquez catching? Nevermind, todays lineup>>>

RED SOX (6-4)
Mookie Betts, RF
Xander Bogaerts, SS
David Ortiz, DH
Hanley Ramirez, 1B
Travis Shaw, 3B
Chris Young, LF
Jackie Bradley Jr., CF
Ryan Hanigan, C
Marco Hernandez, 2B

Steven Wright, RHP (0-1, 1.35 ERA)

-Lavigne43-
04-17-2016, 03:41 PM
Why the hell does Farrell keep using Noe Ramirez in these situations?

Station 13
04-17-2016, 05:02 PM
Why the hell does Farrell keep using Noe Ramirez in these situations?

He has no other options. Barnes is not good. We need middle relievers.

Bo Sox Fan
04-18-2016, 10:22 AM
Why is Farrel sitting Ortiz on his final Patriots Day? He's a flippin DH, he doesn't need a day off.

Shaw batting cleanup against a lefty? After Young pinch hit for him every opportunity in that situation prior? None of this makes sense.

RedSoxtober
04-18-2016, 11:04 AM
He has no other options. Barnes is not good. We need middle relievers.

:confused: Barnes has seemingly been at least as good as Noe. Yesterday was the first appearance in which Ramirez did not issue at least one walk. Unfortunately it was the third consecutive appearance in which he's been charged with at least an earned run of his own (2/5 of his inherited runners have scored including one each in his last two games). By contrast Barnes has the same number of strikeouts in one fewer IP and significantly fewer BB. He has given up more hard contact that Ramirez though.

RedSoxtober
04-18-2016, 11:33 AM
Why is Farrel sitting Ortiz on his final Patriots Day? He's a flippin DH, he doesn't need a day off.

Shaw batting cleanup against a lefty? After Young pinch hit for him every opportunity in that situation prior? None of this makes sense.

I completely agree. My only guess is that they're looking for a day off for Ortiz and an early start vs a LHP made the most sense to him. But that seriously misses the signficance of the day for Ortiz and the uniqueness of the Patriot's Day game for the Sox in general.

ManRam
04-18-2016, 01:47 PM
Oh joy. A wasted 6.2 scoreless innings from Clay....

As for Ortiz: it sounds like it was a somewhat mutual decision. First lefty all year, an early start...it really was the logical day to give him off. Yes, he's a DH, but he's a 40 year-old DH. I'm OK with them not letting a special non-baseball-related day interfere with their plans otherwise.

BGeer091
04-18-2016, 01:49 PM
This is such a poorly managed game. I know we should have executed better. But seriously the line up was wrong and the use of the bull pen as well.

bosox1899
04-18-2016, 01:58 PM
another year and another mediocre team.

bosox1899
04-18-2016, 02:20 PM
****ing papi. swing the ****ing bat for crying out loud.

Station 13
04-18-2016, 02:47 PM
Shaw should hit 3rd in this lineup.

bosox1899
04-18-2016, 02:59 PM
it's funny how our two best prospects in Betts and Bogaerts are both batting .222 right now. think it's time for a lineup shuffle. put shaw batting 3rd, bogaerts batting 6th, betts batting 7th or 8th and someone else leading off

Station 13
04-18-2016, 03:09 PM
it's funny how our two best prospects in Betts and Bogaerts are both batting .222 right now. think it's time for a lineup shuffle. put shaw batting 3rd, bogaerts batting 6th, betts batting 7th or 8th and someone else leading off

Betts is hitting the ball hard this homestand, he didn't have anything to show for it, especially today. He'll be ok.

Bogaerts is no 3-hole batter with his lack of power. Bats him 6th, where Shaw is now.

Bo Sox Fan
04-18-2016, 05:53 PM
Win 4 lose 4. Win a couple lose a couple...

.500 all season under John Fagell. Learn to love it until he's canned.

Vincent33
04-19-2016, 02:00 AM
The faster they dump Farrell the better. Dude is just an awful in game manager.