PDA

View Full Version : Rusney Castillo demoted to Pawtucket

RedSoxtober
04-14-2016, 09:05 AM
Here’s a rare occurrence: In a span of about eight hours, the Red Sox cleared out two bench players they committed to pay a combined $167.5 million — at least temporarily.

Third baseman Pablo Sandoval, a $95 million man, hit the disabled list before the Sox’ 4-2 win over the Orioles last night, and outfielder Rusney Castillo’s demotion to Triple-A Pawtucket followed as his bags were packed afterward at Fenway (no corresponding call-up was immediately announced).

Both players are inexperienced on the bench, so neither was of much use, and both need at-bats.

Castillo, 28, still has all the tools that led the Sox to sign him for $72.5 million. But if he’s going to live up to his potential, he’s not going to do so waiting around for a spot start.

“We need to get him out and get him going,” manager John Farrell said. “We needed to get some at-bats to get him playing every day. Just felt like the way things are playing out with pretty much a platoon between Brock (Holt) and Chris (Young) in left field, this was an opportunity to get him down there and get the at-bats needed.”

Castillo made one start in center through eight games, going 2-for-4 against the Blue Jays on Saturday in Toronto. He hasn’t appeared in any other game.Boston Herald

I am not going to be surprised to see Vazquez called up. The positional flexibility of Holt, Rutledge (called up for Panda's spot), and Shaw gives them some latitude to roll with three catchers for a few days. Barring that, I would assume another BP arm like Light.

WilymoPena
04-14-2016, 03:29 PM
Any news on Varvaro? I'd like to see him in the pen if he's healthy