PDA

View Full Version : Sandoval Placed on DL

RedSoxtober
04-13-2016, 04:47 PM
Seven games into the season the Red Sox have made a roster move.

Manager John Farrell announced prior to Wednesday’s game, third baseman Pablo Sandoval has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a left shoulder strain. Infielder Josh Rutledge has been recalled from Triple-A Pawtucket.

Farrell said the team just became aware of the injury Wednesday afternoon.

Sandoval lost his starting job to Travis Shaw during spring training and has played in just three games (one start) and is 0-for-6 at the plate.

Rutledge came to the Red Sox from the Angels in the Shane Victorino trade last season.weei.com

RedSoxtober
04-14-2016, 03:56 PM
The broken, disastrous marriage between Pablo Sandoval and the Boston Red Sox, an ill-fated union exceeded in its dysfunction only by a Kardashian coupling, could be nearing its end. Here’s how ugly it has gotten, major league sources told Yahoo Sports: Sandoval wants to stay in Boston only if he can play every day, and the Red Sox have no intention of playing him unless he loses weight and others in their current lineup struggle.

Facilitating an exit for Sandoval won’t be easy because of the more than $75 million remaining on his Red Sox contract and the team’s desire not to eat all of the money by cutting him. Sandoval’s trip to the 15-day disabled list Wednesday – a trip caused by a supposed left shoulder injury that took everyone, including the team, by surprise – buys the Red Sox enough time to explore all their options and determine whether any trade market exists before possibly jettisoning him.

The curiosity of the DL move grew as the day went on. Sandoval complained of mysterious left shoulder pain, and the Red Sox chose to immediately place him on the disabled list without having tried to diagnose the severity of the injury with an MRI, sources told Yahoo Sports. By the end of Wednesday, Sandoval still hadn’t visited an MRI machine, a standard procedure that precedes a DL trip in nearly every case but catastrophic injuries.Yahoo Sports

Bo Sox Fan
04-14-2016, 07:08 PM
I'd like to read the language in that contract. Surely there's got to be some type of insurance relating to diabetes or obesity.

RedSoxtober
04-15-2016, 09:07 AM
When Pablo Sandoval went home to Venezuela for Christmas in 2011, he gained so much weight so quickly — 21 pounds in 21 days — that when he returned to work out in Phoenix, his personal trainer did everything possible to keep the third baseman out of sight from his team, the San Francisco Giants.

Ethan Banning, the owner of Triple Threat Performance, oversaw two successful and intense pound-shedding winters for Sandoval, ahead of the third baseman’s only two All-Star seasons in 2011 and 2012.

After he was placed on the disabled list with a left shoulder injury Wednesday, Sandoval went for an MRI yesterday and the results are to come in today, president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski said. Yahoo Sports reported Sandoval told the Red Sox he wants to play or be traded, which isn’t surprising.

But even if Sandoval moves on from the Sox or loses a ton of weight, the 29-year-old’s problem won’t disappear without someone to watch him constantly, Banning believes.

The Sandoval that Banning knew is one who needs more help than he has right now, and somebody who needs to admit he has a problem.

“I care about him greatly,” said Banning, who lost touch with Sandoval after the 2011-12 offseason. “But it’s a tough love. He needs to be smart enough to say there’s a problem. It’s like the alcoholic that won’t admit he’s an alcoholic: well, you can’t address that you’re an alcoholic if you don’t ever admit there’s a problem. He’s got to address that.Boston Herald

GrkGawdofWalkz
04-15-2016, 09:13 AM
Bye bye Dunkin Donut.

SfgiantsJD3
04-15-2016, 01:13 PM
The problem is Sandoval doesn't like the "enforced" tough love the Giants wanted to impose, he wants to be treated like and adult, unfortunately his bother is the one to replace a professional trainer and doesn't force him to behave and Pablo doesn't act like an adult that will solve the problem on his own.

MG956
04-15-2016, 01:52 PM
No, the problem is Panda probably got his last payday and can eat himself into a wheelchair. We can't make him eat right & work out.

I don't see how we salvage any value with him by phonying up DL stints, that just makes him look fat and fragile. Can't we just cut him loose and stop the distraction?

RedSoxtober
04-15-2016, 04:36 PM
No, the problem is Panda probably got his last payday and can eat himself into a wheelchair. We can't make him eat right & work out.

I don't see how we salvage any value with him by phonying up DL stints, that just makes him look fat and fragile. Can't we just cut him loose and stop the distraction?

For what it's worth, the interview with the personal trainer quoted above described when Panda gained 20+ pounds between October and November 2011. That was an offseason when he was attempting to negotiate his arb-year contract and the weight gain preceded the deal. He has a problem of the "My 600 Pound Life" variety and I'm not sure that a pay day had much to do with it.

The DL stint probably does little to downgrade him in the eyes of talent evaluators -- it's obvious the Sox did it to get him out of the clubhouse. The primary advantage they gain is the chance to let him "rehab" away from the team and then play every day on a 20-day rehab assignment. They'll use every hour of the rehab limit and hope that he can play himself into some kind of tradable state.

Bo Sox Fan
04-15-2016, 04:59 PM
He's too stubborn to listen to anyone so let him eat, but, turn him back into a catcher. Sell him as a fat Molina type with lesser defence but higher offence. Oh, and eat %95 of the contract.

Might be our only saving grace.

Vincent33
04-15-2016, 06:15 PM
I wonder if the results from his shoulder diagnosis will come back to let him know that he is fat as **** and needs to hit a treadmill. I liked what Carrabis said in any potential move BOS would likely have to eat most of the contract and give up at least one prospect and not get anything close in return. May as well just dump him outright. Whatever ends up happening, just get him off the team.

GrkGawdofWalkz
04-16-2016, 09:46 AM
Honestly, even with something wrong in his bulky shoulder, the only thing Pablo chases after is a Hostess truck. The belt implosion, the lack of caring about a demotion screams, "Money grubbing wretch." At one point I complained about Colon eating burgers between innings. At this point I would assume Sandoval could eat Colon whole.

RedSoxtober
04-16-2016, 11:29 AM
I'm not quite as negative on him as a person. He was always billed as a happy-go-lucky guy and I think that's what's reflected in his team-first, "I'm still happy" responses to all the questions about going to the bench. In general, I like to believe the best about people.

I agree with the Bay area sportscaster who suggested that he has an addiction. Whether or not he feels like he's being treated as a child should not matter; he needs help to kick it.

RedSoxtober
04-16-2016, 11:53 AM
The other side of this equation has me kinda baffled. Why the hell is Rutledge on the roster instead of Marrero? Isn't the backup utility guy spot usually a defense-first kind of role?

-Lavigne43-
04-16-2016, 12:18 PM
Maybe they want Marrero to play every day so that they can trade him as an everyday player, rather then him getting labeled as a bench guy. They really should have traded him 3 years ago.

Also, based on the comments yesterday, it sounds like Sandoval has a serious issue with his shoulder. He's seeing Dr. James Andrews for a 2nd opinion, so I'm guessing season ending surgery is possible.

papipapsmanny
04-16-2016, 03:28 PM
Maybe they want Marrero to play every day so that they can trade him as an everyday player, rather then him getting labeled as a bench guy. They really should have traded him 3 years ago.

Also, based on the comments yesterday, it sounds like Sandoval has a serious issue with his shoulder. He's seeing Dr. James Andrews for a 2nd opinion, so I'm guessing season ending surgery is possible.

Not the worst thing that can happen. Let him rehab get on his case about his weight..... put him at DH next year if he is still on the team.

If healthy in and in alright shape I don't really doubt his bat... in the sense that I don't think he is a player where you play and his offensive production is complete ****. It will be poor for a DH, but still rather have some production there and have him off the field.

The worst thing we can do is play him for the sole sake that he makes a lot of money, but it looks like Dave made it clear that we will not operate like that

RedSoxtober
04-19-2016, 09:00 AM
The mystery involving Pablo Sandoval’s sudden left shoulder injury has not become any clearer, despite the third baseman’s visit to orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews in Florida yesterday.

Sandoval’s shoulder was evidently too sore for a thorough examination, so he will remain on the 15-day disabled list until he is examined again in a “couple weeks,” manager John Farrell said.

“To say there was a full exam conducted, Dr. Andrews couldn’t get that (yesterday) because of the soreness,” Farrell said. “He was given a (cortisone) injection to calm the inflammation down.”

Asked if Sandoval would remain completely inactive until his next exam, Farrell said, “That’s (a decision for) our medical staff. I don’t have any updated plan, what will take place between now and his next exam.”Boston Herald

-Lavigne43-
04-19-2016, 11:12 PM
“To say there was a full exam conducted, Dr. Andrews couldn’t get that (yesterday) because of the soreness,” Farrell said.

I've never heard of this happening with any other injured athlete before. Seems bizzare

RedSoxtober
04-20-2016, 08:58 AM
“To say there was a full exam conducted, Dr. Andrews couldn’t get that (yesterday) because of the soreness,” Farrell said.

I've never heard of this happening with any other injured athlete before. Seems bizzare

I agree; this is one of the weirdest injury stories that I have ever seen. Not weird in the Glenallen Hill genre (http://bluejayhunter.com/2012/08/flashback-friday-glenallen-hills-freak.html), but weird nonetheless. I'm guessing that a "full exam" would have included a range-of-motion exam which he could not do? That would seem to be an answer in and of itself.

I don't doubt that the guy is done for the year... but I wonder if he could be done forever. Could the Sox get so lucky as having a forced retirement along the line of what they feared from Nap's hip?

Station 13
04-20-2016, 10:01 AM
What a dumb signing. 350 lb player to play 3B for 5 year? Cherrington is out a job for a reason.

RedSoxtober
04-20-2016, 11:09 AM
Former Red Sox medical director and Patriots team doctor Dr. Thomas Gill checked in with Ordway, Merloni & Fauria on Tuesday to discuss the Pablo Sandoval situation. To hear the interview, go to the OM&F audio on demand page.

Dr. Gill said the situation is questionable.

“It’s pretty rare to have someone this far out from this specific injury to have so much pain you can’t examine them,” Gill said. “Obviously I’m not aware of anything going on with Pablo, specifically. But just in a general rule for an athlete with a shoulder injury, you ought to be able to examine them. What John Farrell was saying that he received an injection to calm down the pain, usually that’s what I do to get a really good exam. Once you give that injection in the office you can get rid of their pain almost right away and that’s really the best time to test strength, flexibility and things like that. It is pretty confusing, I’ve got to be honest.”

Dr. Gill explained what he would do if a patient was too sore for a full exam.

“What I typically do, and not so much a cortisone injection, but you can inject some novicane into the bursa, that area above the rotator cuff,” he said. “What that does is get rid of all the pain. So a guy who has had a lot of weakness before the injection … You can be weak either because of the pain or because of a big tear, but if I give some novacane in the bursa what that does is gets rid of their pain and allows me to give a much better exam.

“As you well know, MRIs, they’re fine, but there is nothing like a good physical exam because you can have five things wrong in a thrower’s shoulder in an MRI and none which have anything to do with why that guy can’t play or why that guy is having a problem. The injection, test and good physical exam, is much, much more accurate. So it’s a little bit of a head-scratcher why after getting an injection you couldn’t do an exam.”

Dr. Gill further explained why the situation is so confusing, as it is very rare for a player to fly down to meet with Dr. Andrews and then not get a full exam.

“I’ve known Dr. Andrews extremely well. He’s an exceptional doctor and he’s a great communicator. We’ve shared a lot of patients over the years. I’ve never heard of this, to be honest with you,” Dr. Gill said. “I’ve never heard of a guy that would fly all the way down there. None of our guys would go down and not be able to be examined. Especially, hearing that he did get an injection. It is a head-scratcher because usually right after the injection is the best time to examine someone. Really literally 10 minutes after the injection is when you would want to do the exam.”

To be honest with you, just following the news as I’ve been hearing it, I wonder how much of this is Pablo, and how much is his agent. Not all the time are your decisions as an athlete is made yourself. Whether it was Jacoby Ellsbury in the past, and that whole crazy rib thing that really had nothing to do with the medical. That was really all agent driven. A lot of times the agents get involved in saying, ‘Hey Pablo, you’re not going to examine well today. Why don’t we hold off, wait until you’re better and we don’t want to get word out there is a real problem here.’ Especially if there is a trade in the works, or a guy is looking to change teams or he just doesn’t want to get the news. You want to put a delay into it as much as possible.”weei.com

RedSoxtober
04-27-2016, 08:56 AM
Pablo Sandoval’s second opinion on his sore shoulder will be with orthopedic surgeon James Andrews on MondayBoston Herald

RedSoxtober
04-27-2016, 09:06 AM
THE TEAM WAS AWARE OF SANDOVAL’S SHOULDER HISTORY

Through reviewing Sandoval’s medical history with the Giants, and the physical the Sox conducted at the time signing the free agent, the Red Sox did have what they considered enough information on a shoulder that had given the player problems in 2011. But the nature/severity of the injury wasn’t considered anything more than what many position players deal with.

IT WASN’T BAD ENOUGH TO CONSIDER INSURANCE

When free agents are signed, and there is a part of their body which might be of some concern, teams often take out insurance. In John Lackey’s case, the insurance was a clause in his contract that stated if he missed any significant time due to his injured right elbow his team option would be for the major league minimum salary. In the Jason Bay controversy, the Red Sox asked the player to pay a chunk of the insurance policy due to concerns over his knee. The Marlins couldn’t get insurance on Josh Beckett’s shoulder because of it’s condition prior to the player’s trade to the Sox. With Sandoval’s shoulder, however, going the insurance route wasn’t deemed necessary.

YES, THE REDS SOX DO TAKE OUT INSURANCE

Because of past conflicts with Lloyds of London when it came to insuring players, Red Sox principal owner John Henry had often tried to stay away from insuring injuries. (For more on Henry’s prior approach, click here.) But, according to president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski, there has been no such mandate, and the decision to insure players is a “case by case” basis.

THERE HAS BEEN NO WEIGHT MANDATE

Contrary to a Yahoo! Sports report that the team told Sandoval it had “no intention of playing him unless he loses weight,” according to a major league source, there has been no such directive. The Red Sox have been monitoring Sandoval’s progress while on the 15-day disabled list, and have been encouraged by his approach — and results — the last two weeks.weei.com

Station 13
04-29-2016, 11:54 AM
Pablo is a very selfish player. Lose the ****ing weight. You don't need to be told to.

Soxfan85
05-02-2016, 07:46 PM
The Red Sox announced that third baseman Pablo Sandoval will undergo left shoulder surgery in the coming days.

The surgery will be performed by Dr. James Andrews, the noted orthopedist who examined Sandoval in Florida on Monday. Sandoval, 29, had complained of shoulder soreness in early April and was placed on the disabled list on April 13.

The Red Sox did not provide an update on how long Sandoval will be out or what kind of rehab his surgery will entail, noting in a press release that more information will be made available after surgery.

WEEI

bagwell368
05-03-2016, 08:42 PM
I hated the Crawford signing worse than the Fatty Panda signing, but at least we managed to dump Crawford - we'll never get anything for Panda, just watch in horror as he puts up about another 150 PA's in his ML career... at DH probably.

Sad thing is this tub of garbage doesn't even seem to understand the cause and effect of being paid and doing work (and taking care of yourself since your body is part of what's needed for the job).