PDA

View Full Version : Kings to fire George Karl Thursday

mrblisterdundee
04-13-2016, 11:32 AM
The Sacramento Kings are expected to fire Coach George Karl Thursday, just after the season finale against Houston, according to ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15195959/sacramento-kings-fire-coach-george-karl).

mrblisterdundee
04-13-2016, 11:34 AM
I think Karl should bench DeMarcus Cousins as a final F-U to the ownership and their drama queen of a star.

Vampirate
04-13-2016, 11:46 AM
Yeah, the biggest issue is the owner, Cousins takes the most spotlight but the ownership is basically inept. Worse than Dolan imo.

spreadeagle
04-13-2016, 11:47 AM
I think Karl should bench DeMarcus Cousins as a final F-U to the ownership and their drama queen of a star.

100 percent, what a gong show of an operation the Kings have going

aman_13
04-13-2016, 11:52 AM
What kind of organization leaks that type of info.

Vincent
04-13-2016, 11:53 AM
The real question is, was this George Karl's last stop?

warfelg
04-13-2016, 12:03 PM
What a joke of a franchise.

Crackadalic
04-13-2016, 12:08 PM
Can a team be more dysfunctional then the Knicks/nets.

Crazy how bad the kings still are

HeartOfStarks
04-13-2016, 12:17 PM
Yeah, the biggest issue is the owner, Cousins takes the most spotlight but the ownership is basically inept. Worse than Dolan imo.

damn worse than Dolan?!?!?!

Vampirate
04-13-2016, 12:19 PM
Can a team be more dysfunctional then the Knicks/nets.

Crazy how bad the kings still are

The Nets aren't dysfunctional, they just have no future for quite a long time.

People are actually respecting the Knicks now, the Knicks of the 3 easily have the best future.

If you think the Kings are bad now, imagine how bad it'll be when Cousins leaves, which he will. It'll be even more pathetic when he's on his last season entering free agency when they get desperate to please him to stay.

TrueFan420
04-13-2016, 01:50 PM
Surprised he lasted this long.

BallDontLie
04-13-2016, 01:54 PM
the circus continues.

kobe4thewinbang
04-13-2016, 01:59 PM
So, can someone enlighten me? I thought Cousins was "cool" with Coach Karl.

I think Karl has skill as a coach, but I don't think benching McLemore is a smart idea and of course the Kings should've never fired Malone, especially when Cousins approved of him.

Hopefully they ask Cousins who he wants, like how Kobe wanted Brian Shaw, and yes, even Kobe didn't get his way, but this Kings team has talent and potential to be better with the right coach and some stability for once.

There's also questions about Seth Curry's improved play and if he can blossom into a helpful bench PG, because if he can, Kings might want to keep him and offer more than the player option he has. Also, and a big also, is if they want to throw down the cash to resign Rondo who has had a resurgent season, mostly injury-free, and will want a payday.

Gay, Cousins & Rondo have a bond and Cousins & Rondo have been good together, but they need better bench players and hopefully Cauley-Stein has a better year. Not paying Rondo 10-15 million might help with the talent improvement.

basketballkitty
04-13-2016, 03:02 PM
What kind of organization leaks that type of info.

" Jerry Colangelo " did it!! :laugh:

ewing
04-13-2016, 03:26 PM
^^^ :clap:

Scoots
04-13-2016, 04:02 PM
I figure the over-under for coach firings in the next week is 3.

TheMightyHumph
04-14-2016, 01:35 AM
Karl gets some paid vacation time.

More-Than-Most
04-14-2016, 02:01 AM
The Nets aren't dysfunctional, they just have no future for quite a long time.

People are actually respecting the Knicks now, the Knicks of the 3 easily have the best future.

If you think the Kings are bad now, imagine how bad it'll be when Cousins leaves, which he will. It'll be even more pathetic when he's on his last season entering free agency when they get desperate to please him to stay.

I strongly disagree.. The Knicks have KP but who knows what he will be.. Cousins is a top 15 player in all of basketball and could get them a ton if they would actually do the smart thing and trade him... The nets have the worst future in all of sports currently.... Knicks and kings shouldnt be in the same sentence as the Nets but the kings are a better situation

Vampirate
04-14-2016, 07:58 AM
I strongly disagree.. The Knicks have KP but who knows what he will be.. Cousins is a top 15 player in all of basketball and could get them a ton if they would actually do the smart thing and trade him... The nets have the worst future in all of sports currently.... Knicks and kings shouldnt be in the same sentence as the Nets but the kings are a better situation

What it boils down to is who's management do you respect more, Kings or Knicks.

Cousins is a great talent, but the Kings have won **** with him, mostly due to front office incompetence. How many coaches have they fired? How many .500+ seasons had they had? The fact that they have done so little for such a long time with Cousins speaks to how bad things are in Sac.

Also going forwards, how much longer is Cousins going to be in Sac compared to KP being on the Knicks?

Phil has actually restored some credibility to the Knicks.

ewing
04-14-2016, 09:39 AM

no he's not

STRIKERC
04-14-2016, 09:47 AM
This guy has been getting fired in the media since the season begun.
They want the guy to quit so they don't have to pay him. This is a circus.

basketballkitty
04-14-2016, 09:52 AM
I heard a report last night that Cousins and Rondo convinced several other teammates to refuse to play the final game last night as a protest and a message to Sac management. I mean how freaking disgusting is this ? I mean what halfway decent Head Coach is even going to want to go there ???

GoferKing_
04-14-2016, 09:55 AM
@basketballkitty Good joke. The league would punish them for such behavior.

basketballkitty
04-14-2016, 09:58 AM
@basketballkitty Good joke. The league would punish them for such behavior.

How could they ? The team itself said it was due to REST ( Joke )...but either way, it cannot be proven.

JasonJohnHorn
04-14-2016, 10:43 AM
The ownership only shot itself in the foot by treating Karl the way they did.

Every coach worth his/her salt knows the game is moving away from post-play to 3-pt shooting, so unless you have a Shaq/Hakeem/Duncan type guy who will shoot over .600 with one-on-one coverage, running your offense through a post player is a recipe for mediocrity. Karl knew that; the Kings' ownership doesn't.

Any good coach is going to look at the way the Kings handled Karl and take a pass. What coach is going to let himself be hung out to dry like that? I mean, they fired one of his assistance, leaked info that they were thinking about firing him before the all-star break, leaked info that they wanted him to quit after the all-star break, and soiled the locker room for him because none of the players were going to listen to a coach they knew was out the door.

What a horrid fawking culture they build. Frankly, it's as bad as what Philly has done, if not worse.

Vampirate
04-14-2016, 10:45 AM
The ownership only shot itself in the foot by treating Karl the way they did.

Every coach worth his/her salt knows the game is moving away from post-play to 3-pt shooting, so unless you have a Shaq/Hakeem/Duncan type guy who will shoot over .600 with one-on-one coverage, running your offense through a post player is a recipe for mediocrity. Karl knew that; the Kings' ownership doesn't.

Any good coach is going to look at the way the Kings handled Karl and take a pass. What coach is going to let himself be hung out to dry like that? I mean, they fired one of his assistance, leaked info that they were thinking about firing him before the all-star break, leaked info that they wanted him to quit after the all-star break, and soiled the locker room for him because none of the players were going to listen to a coach they knew was out the door.

What a horrid fawking culture they build. Frankly, it's as bad as what Philly has done, if not worse.

Worse imo, Philadelphia at least has some semblance of a plan moving forwards, the Kings are bending to Cousins will. The Kings are basically in desperate mode, probably have been for a while.

JLynn943
04-14-2016, 11:18 AM
I won't pretend Cousins is an angel. There was animosity between him and Karl before Karl had a chance to earn it. However, Karl also earned it, too, pretty quickly. He came in and demonstrated why so many players have had issues with him. He caused drama in the media, bashed his own players, mishandled players, and in general did a really poor job actually coaching. He even isolated his own assistant coaches.

In short, Cousins was definitely an issue, but Karl did far and away enough bad on his own to deserve firing anyway.

And what people are saying about the ownership is true. Vivek thinks he knows what he's doing, but his basketball knowledge is bad. He's too involved, and it has hurt the team a lot.

basketballkitty
04-14-2016, 11:26 AM
I won't pretend Cousins is an angel. There was animosity between him and Karl before Karl had a chance to earn it. However, Karl also earned it, too, pretty quickly. He came in and demonstrated why so many players have had issues with him. He caused drama in the media, bashed his own players, mishandled players, and in general did a really poor job actually coaching. He even isolated his own assistant coaches.

In short, Cousins was definitely an issue, but Karl did far and away enough bad on his own to deserve firing anyway.

And what people are saying about the ownership is true. Vivek thinks he knows what he's doing, but his basketball knowledge is bad. He's too involved, and it has hurt the team a lot.

Dude get real. Karl is a HALL OF FAME Head Coach.Cousins should have just shut his Trap and do what he said from the start. But it was Cousins ( Again )..who started the *****. Tell me, since 2010, when Cousins was drafted...what does this make now...his 6TH NBA Head Coach in as many years in the League ?

I mean at what time do we give at least a little git of the Blame on Cousins ?..as well as the WEAK WILLED Sacramento front office for Bowing down to this Idiot ?

JLynn943
04-14-2016, 11:43 AM
Dude get real. Karl is a HALL OF FAME Head Coach.Cousins should have just shut his Trap and do what he said from the start. But it was Cousins ( Again )..who started the *****. Tell me, since 2010, when Cousins was drafted...what does this make now...his 6TH NBA Head Coach in as many years in the League ?

I mean at what time do we give at least a little git of the Blame on Cousins ?..as well as the WEAK WILLED Sacramento front office for Bowing down to this Idiot ?

I'm not bowing down to Cousins. I criticized him and have done so for a while. However, if you clearly didn't pay attention to Karl this season, you shouldn't talk.

Scoots
04-14-2016, 11:46 AM
I figure the over-under for coach firings in the next week is 3.

1 day later 3 coaches fired. Who's next?

IBleedPurple
04-14-2016, 02:23 PM
Done deal. Kings now looking for their 9th coach since '07 :laugh2:

IndyRealist
04-14-2016, 03:58 PM
So this is a friendly reminder that I told you so. You know who you are.

Karl's system and rotations have been analyzed to death. It was never going to work with Cousins so either you had to trade DeMarcus or you were just wasting time.

I feel bad for Kings fans.

kobe4thewinbang
04-15-2016, 12:29 AM
Waiting for the other shoe to drop...meaning, will they hire a coach that makes sense this time?

:rimshot:

KG2TB
04-15-2016, 12:52 AM
holy **** kobe4thewinbang...have you ever heard of spacing? That 2k roster is rough, man. Zero spacing in the starting unit.

FlashBolt
04-15-2016, 01:13 AM
One thing about Cousins is he is very stubborn and lacks leadership. But, this has George Karl written all over it. He was a terrible option since day 1. You don't let rumors or any indication of trading your franchise player out regardless of how much you dislike the guy. The dissing of Seth Curry was also disgraceful. You hear teammates throw each other under the bus frequently but when a coach does it, that's ten times as bad. I don't know who handled coaching more miserably this season between Karl and Scott but the Kings were far more equipped to making the playoffs than the Lakers were. Karl came in expecting respect as if he won a championship. You can't blame Cousins and the roster in general for feeling slighted when the same guy who draws up plays for you runs to reporters and screws you over. One thing is for sure, though; Kings need to blow up their roster very soon. Cousins has to go and Kings would be wise to do so while they can get value for him.

warfelg
04-15-2016, 10:19 AM
Worse imo, Philadelphia at least has some semblance of a plan moving forwards, the Kings are bending to Cousins will. The Kings are basically in desperate mode, probably have been for a while.

I was going to say the difference to me was at least Philadelphia (Before hiring Colangelo) were at least following and organizational theory and plan, which was to be in position to bring in a superstar using any of the three ways you can get one.

Sacramento on the other hand has been a directional mess for a while. A GM that has lost at every trade. I mean this is the guy that gave the Sixers 2 pick swaps, 1 pick, Stauskis, Landry, Thompson for Arturas Gudaitis, Luka Mitrovic, and a protected future 2nd round pick (those two guys are overseas players unlikely to ever come over). So the very first move that the GM did was to mortgage the future (because the picks the next two years could go to the Bulls) to have the cap space to sign Rondo. They bring in Rondo who's likely better in a fast pace, a coach that coaches and uppace offense, and pairs it with a 2 guard and C who are built for a slow tempo half court game.

And when you toss in that they drafted WCS they have a potential starting lineup with almost no spacing in Rondo/McLemore/Gay/Cousins/WCS. No bench play. It's a complete mess, and it starts at the top with ownership trying to put their hands into the operations.

Vampirate
04-15-2016, 11:01 AM
I was going to say the difference to me was at least Philadelphia (Before hiring Colangelo) were at least following and organizational theory and plan, which was to be in position to bring in a superstar using any of the three ways you can get one.

Sacramento on the other hand has been a directional mess for a while. A GM that has lost at every trade. I mean this is the guy that gave the Sixers 2 pick swaps, 1 pick, Stauskis, Landry, Thompson for Arturas Gudaitis, Luka Mitrovic, and a protected future 2nd round pick (those two guys are overseas players unlikely to ever come over). So the very first move that the GM did was to mortgage the future (because the picks the next two years could go to the Bulls) to have the cap space to sign Rondo. They bring in Rondo who's likely better in a fast pace, a coach that coaches and uppace offense, and pairs it with a 2 guard and C who are built for a slow tempo half court game.

And when you toss in that they drafted WCS they have a potential starting lineup with almost no spacing in Rondo/McLemore/Gay/Cousins/WCS. No bench play. It's a complete mess, and it starts at the top with ownership trying to put their hands into the operations.

Bryan is actually an above avg GM (no idea how he compares to Hinkie). The 76ers are still in a better position than the Kings going forwards based on GMs alone.

warfelg
04-15-2016, 11:07 AM
Bryan is actually an above avg GM (no idea how he compares to Hinkie). The 76ers are still in a better position than the Kings going forwards based on GMs alone.

Only reason I put it like that is we don't know a plan of vision for Colangelo's version of the Sixers.

Vampirate
04-15-2016, 12:44 PM
Only reason I put it like that is we don't know a plan of vision for Colangelo's version of the Sixers.

Honestly, with the new GM replacing Billy King in the Nets, my perspective is every GM is better than whatever the Kings have, so yeah, even by default i'd say the 76ers have a better future than the Kings lol.

beasted86
04-15-2016, 02:09 PM
Seriously... what above average coach wants that job without getting overpaid/long-term security?

Since Adelman left 10 years ago was the last time they were in the playoffs. They been through 8 coaches since then.

Scoots
04-16-2016, 02:49 PM
Patrick Ewing?