PDA

View Full Version : Phil wants to leave NY for LA

mrblisterdundee
04-12-2016, 08:59 PM
Looks like Phil Jackson misses the West Coast (http://sportsnaut.com/2016/04/phil-jackson-leave-knicks-lakers/).
The article references two separate reports about Jackson's intentions, first from Michael Grange of Sportsnet:

"It’s believed that as soon as Jeanie’s brother Jim Buss– blamed for the Lakers current free fall– is somehow removed from the scene, Jackson will be back as soon as he can engineer it.”
... then another from Frank Isola of the New York Daily News:

“There were rumblings around the Garden late Sunday that Jackson may be gone this summer. Next summer at the latest.”

warfelg
04-12-2016, 09:14 PM
Good for him. He never belonged in NYC.

mrblisterdundee
04-12-2016, 09:22 PM
Good for him. He never belonged in NYC.

Maybe they could switch GMs. Tell me you don't want to see James Dolan and Jim Buss running the Knicks.

warfelg
04-12-2016, 09:27 PM
Maybe they could switch GMs. Tell me you don't want to see James Dolan and Jim Buss running the Knicks.

Well....

I'll take the high ground:
I hope the Knicks get their ish together. They are the Lakers of the east, the team everyone loves to hate, and it's no fun when they are bad.

jerellh528
04-12-2016, 09:41 PM
I don't want him in LA

DODGERS&LAKERS
04-12-2016, 10:05 PM
I would like to know the sources. It could only come from jackson if it were true and I dont think hes that dumb. I call bs.

FOXHOUND
04-12-2016, 10:08 PM
Disclaimer: Isola constantly spews nonsense and should never be relied for any news of this sort. I'll believe something like this when I see it.

More-Than-Most
04-12-2016, 10:25 PM
Knicks would be much much better off... he is an overrated name and coach and doing more harm than good for the knicks... he has never won without Jordan/Shaq/kOBE.

DboneG
04-12-2016, 10:37 PM
Phil Jackson is a loser! All that Zen master crap! It's the players that did it for Phil.
Kobe-Shaq-Horry/others....Michael-Scottie-Rodman/others, they just won. Same thing at Golden State...it's the players. You make Luke Walton the coach and Curry-Green-Iguodala/others still win games. You make David Blatt the coach, Bron Bron still win games.

James Dolan, see if Jerry West is available! Throw your money at him! He'll get it done for you.

DboneG
04-12-2016, 10:38 PM
Knicks would be much much better off... he is an overrated name and coach and doing more harm than good for the knicks... he has never won without Jordan/Shaq/kOBE.

Exactly

DarkKnight
04-12-2016, 10:47 PM
Disclaimer: Isola constantly spews nonsense and should never be relied for any news of this sort. I'll believe something like this when I see it.

This and no one takes anything he says seriously.... Definite hack

LA_Raiders
04-12-2016, 11:01 PM
I hope so. Jimmy and Jimbo are a couple of dumbasses.

FOXHOUND
04-12-2016, 11:21 PM
This and no one takes anything he says seriously.... Definite hack

:nod:

FOXHOUND
04-12-2016, 11:24 PM

He's not doing more harm than good, he just hasn't completed his process yet. Year 1 was tear down, year 2 was reality that you can't attract top talent with a garbage team but an improvement none the less and we'll see what happens in year 3. This is the key offseason where everything comes to a head. If Phil fails in FA again I see Melo asking out. We'll see where this goes.

lakerfan85
04-12-2016, 11:28 PM

Lol!! What coach has ever won without having good players? How did Doug Collins do with MJ? What about Del Harris with Shaq and Kobe? That being said I hope he doesn't come to the Lakers..

FOXHOUND
04-12-2016, 11:36 PM
Lol!! What coach has ever won without having good players? How did Doug Collins do with MJ? What about Del Harris with Shaq and Kobe? That being said I hope he doesn't come to the Lakers..

Coaches are never important... except for when they are. See: anytime anyone has complained about one of LeBron's coaches, or Vinny Del Negro in CHI/LAC, or the Shaq and Kobe Lakers before Phil, etc etc

ewing
04-13-2016, 08:42 AM

I disagree, i think Phil's name is very important for the Knicks. I have never been a big Phil fan but i don't think he is incompetent either. Anyway, the franchise has been ruined b/c different parties are constantly fighting for power and the owner changes his mind about who should have it every 2 weeks. Phil's name carries power and the Knicks need someone with power at the top. Donnie Walsh wasn't even a big enough name not to be undermined it has to be a Phil or Jerry West type name that start this turnaround.

Jetsguy
04-13-2016, 10:14 AM
The way the last couple seasons have gone I really don't buy that if Phil really wanted to leave the Knicks would not let him. He has had a minimal impact as far as I am concerned. I don't buy this story at all

mrblisterdundee
04-13-2016, 11:38 AM
He's not doing more harm than good, he just hasn't completed his process yet. Year 1 was tear down, year 2 was reality that you can't attract top talent with a garbage team but an improvement none the less and we'll see what happens in year 3. This is the key offseason where everything comes to a head. If Phil fails in FA again I see Melo asking out. We'll see where this goes.

Investing that much in Melo was one of the Knicks' biggest mistakes to begin with. He shouldn't have to ask out. They should do whatever it takes to get rid of him and complete the tear-down.

RaiderLakersA's
04-13-2016, 11:41 AM
I just want Jim Buss gone. Whatever else comes after that, so be it.

Crackadalic
04-13-2016, 12:06 PM
Yeah when trashing how bad the Knicks gets boring let's spew some non sense to get more hits on our page!!!!!!!

HeartOfStarks
04-13-2016, 12:19 PM
Investing that much in Melo was one of the Knicks' biggest mistakes to begin with. He shouldn't have to ask out. They should do whatever it takes to get rid of him and complete the tear-down.

Well he does have to ask out so... I don't necessarily disagree with you but at this point we can't really "do whatever it takes" as that's what an NTC is all about, it handcuffs the FO pretty much.

Kinkotheclown
04-13-2016, 12:38 PM

Get rid of Phil or Melo?
Melo is the only element that hasn't been a complete tear down. There is no one left on the team from when PJ took over except Melo. AA will be gone and so will a few others.
I agree and I would have moved Melo but I also understand the importance of having a guy like him on the team when you rebuild. He gives a level of confidence and leadership to a young team. Aside from Melo, AA, JC and Sash (at least two of whom will be gone), the knicks have 7 guys under 25 and 10 under 28. They are a family young team. Just Melo's presence can help them.
People bash Phil like crazy. I think he's done a solid job. We now have Melo/KP/Lopez and it looks like Grant will be at least pretty good. If Wroten turns back into what he was two seasons ago, people will think Phill was a genius.
If guys like Dwill and Thomas stick around, we have some good young players off the bench.

Would I blame Melo for wanting to leave? Nope. He had a great season this year and he grew as a player by leaps.
I hope we get some good talent and or picks for him

Would I be bummed to see Phil go? Yes. I like what he's doing. It takes time to turn a toilet into a thrown. First and foremost, Phil has managed to keep the dookie owner flushed without letting him sticking his head back into the bowl and smearing it.

BallDontLie
04-13-2016, 12:47 PM
Well....

I'll take the high ground:
I hope the Knicks get their ish together. They are the Lakers of the east, the team everyone loves to hate, and it's no fun when they are bad.

whaaaaaa? its tons of fun when the Knicks are bad. Probably the most overrated franchise in sports, I love to watch the fail.

HeartOfStarks
04-13-2016, 12:54 PM
whaaaaaa? its tons of fun when the Knicks are bad. Probably the most overrated franchise in sports, I love to watch the fail.

It's not fun for us lol (laugh to keep from crying)

FOXHOUND
04-13-2016, 01:06 PM

When you say investing that much, do you like to simply ignore the state of the league in terms of salary cap growth and the contracts that are coming the next two offseasons? You think Melo at $25M is overpaid? What are you going to think when Mike Conley is making $25M? How about LeBron and Durant at $40M if they take 1+1 deals this offseason to max out in 2017?

Melo is the last thing wrong with the Knicks, as has been the case since the day he got here. Bringing him back was a no brainer.

Pierzynski4Prez
04-13-2016, 01:28 PM
Seems most people still think Phil is coaching in this league, thus grading him on his abilities there, and not as a GM.

BallDontLie
04-13-2016, 01:51 PM
It's not fun for us lol (laugh to keep from crying)

lol i bet and i know the feeling right now with Philly sports being gloomy.