PDA

View Full Version : Players That Benefitted the Most From Not Being Traded at the Deadline?

Wade n Fade
04-12-2016, 12:16 PM
Which NBA players have benefitted the most from not being dealt during the current deadline?

I think Hassan Whiteside benefitted a ton because Miami has played well w/o Bosh. He is being utilized differently for the most part (coming off the bench up until now) and he feels more natural in his role.

Luol Deng could say he benefitted too. Luol looks like a versatile player again. His scoring and efficient increased when he moved to the 4. Not sure if it's Joe Johnson taking up some defenders at the three spot where Luol can attack the basket more often than before?

JasonJohnHorn
04-13-2016, 12:30 AM
Great post Wade and Fade! Not sure why there aren't more people biting on this one. I was waiting to see what others might say first.

This reminds me of a couple scenarios, namely when Horry was trade for Sean Elliot, only to fail the physical with Detroit (shades of another Houston/Detroit trade this year--- though it might have been Ellliot that failed the physical... I forget... it was a while ago). At any rate, Horry went on to win two titles, one that season, and put himself on the map with an amazing playoff performance.

With that in mind, I think we might have to wait until the playoffs are done to really weigh in on this one. I don't follow all the local beats, so I'm not sure about everybody who was on the trade block.

Off the top of my head I'd have to say Blake. We haven't seen much yet, but I think that team can really do well with him, and he's much better off in LAC than in NY.

I think Love is in a better position than anywhere he could have been. Not sure how legit the rumours were (I feel like the firing of Blatt was a clear message that they wanted to keep Love and find a coach that would make him work). He hasn't played much better, but he at least is in a wining situation. Who knows, though, he might be having a better personal season in Boston.

Depending on how the playoffs turnout, the Horford situation may prove beneficial for him.

I think it is more interesting to consider who would have been better off being traded. Pau Gasol comes to mind, as does Butler. I imagine both would have liked to get off that sinking ship, especially Gasol, who only has a couple more years likely.

I imagine that Greg Monroe could have gone for a trade as well.

Likewise Howard and DMC might have been better off getting traded.

Wade n Fade
04-13-2016, 11:27 PM
Great post Wade and Fade! Not sure why there aren't more people biting on this one. I was waiting to see what others might say first.

This reminds me of a couple scenarios, namely when Horry was trade for Sean Elliot, only to fail the physical with Detroit (shades of another Houston/Detroit trade this year--- though it might have been Ellliot that failed the physical... I forget... it was a while ago). At any rate, Horry went on to win two titles, one that season, and put himself on the map with an amazing playoff performance.

With that in mind, I think we might have to wait until the playoffs are done to really weigh in on this one. I don't follow all the local beats, so I'm not sure about everybody who was on the trade block.

Off the top of my head I'd have to say Blake. We haven't seen much yet, but I think that team can really do well with him, and he's much better off in LAC than in NY.

I think Love is in a better position than anywhere he could have been. Not sure how legit the rumours were (I feel like the firing of Blatt was a clear message that they wanted to keep Love and find a coach that would make him work). He hasn't played much better, but he at least is in a wining situation. Who knows, though, he might be having a better personal season in Boston.

Depending on how the playoffs turnout, the Horford situation may prove beneficial for him.

I think it is more interesting to consider who would have been better off being traded. Pau Gasol comes to mind, as does Butler. I imagine both would have liked to get off that sinking ship, especially Gasol, who only has a couple more years likely.

I imagine that Greg Monroe could have gone for a trade as well.

Likewise Howard and DMC might have been better off getting traded.

Thanks, and your post is spot on for a ton of players. Speaking of Detroit, what are your thoughts about Joel Anthony staying put in Detroit? I think it's a good thing he is there because he can provide leadership to a young and talented Detroit squad. He might not be an impactful player on the floor, but he has played meaningful ball with the Heat during their playoff runs w/ the LeBron teams. Also keeping a pick is better than paying Montejunas long term too?

JasonJohnHorn
04-14-2016, 10:53 AM
Thanks, and your post is spot on for a ton of players. Speaking of Detroit, what are your thoughts about Joel Anthony staying put in Detroit? I think it's a good thing he is there because he can provide leadership to a young and talented Detroit squad. He might not be an impactful player on the floor, but he has played meaningful ball with the Heat during their playoff runs w/ the LeBron teams. Also keeping a pick is better than paying Montejunas long term too?

I'm not sure. I was hopeful that Motiejunas might add some versatility to Detroit's line-up. Joel Anthony.... I don't know what he's like in the locker room. Some guys, even if they don't do much on the floor, have a knack for bringing players together. I don't know that Anthony does that, but I know he doesn't do much on the floor. I'm curious as to why tha trade got rescinded though... it seemed odd.