PDA

View Full Version : Is Towns already more valuable than Davis?

mrblisterdundee
04-12-2016, 10:00 AM
Karl-Anthony Towns looks like a readymade superstar, drilling threes, taking people off the dribble and generally doing what he wants. So does Anthony Davis, but he keeps dealing with injuries.
Taking health into consideration, who's more valuable right now?

nycericanguy
04-12-2016, 10:30 AM
Well Towns is younger, much cheaper for the next few years, and not injury prone, so he obviously has more value.

But AD is the better player as of now.

ewing
04-12-2016, 10:32 AM
Well Towns is younger, much cheaper for the next few years, and not injury prone, so he obviously has more value.

But AD is the better player as of now.

that means he is more valuable right now IMO. If you look them as investments in the future Towns may have more value. If you are asking me who is more valuable right now i take to mean who is going help you win more now.

Vampirate
04-12-2016, 10:34 AM
that means he is more valuable right now

That means zilch if he's injured when the playoffs roll around though.

ewing
04-12-2016, 10:36 AM
That means zilch if he's injured when the playoffs roll around though.

and i don't think Towns is ready to be a playoff leader. If you are asking who i would start a team around for one season. I take AD

valade16
04-12-2016, 10:44 AM
Anthony Davis just turned 23 correct? Towns is 20. I just don't view that age difference as enough to differentiate value. In either case you're going to get 10 years of stellar play out of either of them if they are great players.

Stinkyoutsider
04-12-2016, 11:05 AM
I take Davis today because he's further along in his development as a player but Towns is developing/has developed a skill set that very few bigs in this league have already.

If Davis can finally get healthy, I think you can quickly build around his ability to dominate both sides of the game on a nightly basis but that's a big question (his availability). I'm sure most people believe that you can build around Towns too but I'm a little less unsure about it since this is his rookie season. I would like to see a little more before I can put him above Davis.

Towns does have one thing going for him that Davis doesn't though. You can put Towns in the post and he'll go to work getting you baskets from there. Davis seems like he's content being a stretch type player right now.

ewing
04-12-2016, 11:10 AM
Anthony Davis just turned 23 correct? Towns is 20. I just don't view that age difference as enough to differentiate value. In either case you're going to get 10 years of stellar play out of either of them if they are great players.

Good point. we are sounding a bit like Davis is a finished product and Town is the shiny new toy. AD is only 23!

nycericanguy
04-12-2016, 11:25 AM
that means he is more valuable right now IMO. If you look them as investments in the future Towns may have more value. If you are asking me who is more valuable right now i take to mean who is going help you win more now.

In a salary capped league Towns at $5m is more valuable to a team than AD at $21m.

I mean Towns finished the season averaging like 22/12/3/2 the last 3-4 months. That's already damn near AD production and he's already played more games than AD ever has.

Miltstar
04-12-2016, 11:35 AM
In a salary capped league Towns at $5m is more valuable to a team than AD at $21m.

I mean Towns finished the season averaging like 22/12/3/2 the last 3-4 months. That's already damn near AD production and he's already played more games than AD ever has.

that's kind of a moot point as you know he's getting paid as soon as his rookie deal is up

Vincent
04-12-2016, 11:38 AM
There's something about KAT that i really like.

I think this is a KG vs Duncan argument, both are pretty damn good lol

FlashBolt
04-12-2016, 11:39 AM
I'd still rather take Anthony Davis. Yeah, Towns is playing amazing right now but some of you act like we're going to see a 20% increase in production every season thereafter. That's not how it works. You can go from one great season to good seasons and then back to great seasons. I think with Davis, his injuries are of the biggest concern but he definitely seems like he has more potential IMO. Also, I think when the Wolves start becoming an actual threat, more teams will focus on him as well.

nycericanguy
04-12-2016, 11:43 AM
that's kind of a moot point as you know he's getting paid as soon as his rookie deal is up

how is that a moot point? Towns is under team control for cheap for 5-7 years. RIGHT NOW he's more valuable at his current salary.

nycericanguy
04-12-2016, 11:44 AM
I'd still rather take Anthony Davis. Yeah, Towns is playing amazing right now but some of you act like we're going to see a 20% increase in production every season thereafter. That's not how it works. You can go from one great season to good seasons and then back to great seasons. I think with Davis, his injuries are of the biggest concern but he definitely seems like he has more potential IMO. Also, I think when the Wolves start becoming an actual threat, more teams will focus on him as well.

if you take away the first month of his rookie year, he put up over 20/11/3/2 the vast majority of the year. Even if he doesn't improve at all from those numbers, I'll take him at $5m over injury prone AD at $21m.

BallDontLie
04-12-2016, 12:37 PM
no hes not. Did ouy not see the team AD carried to the playoffs last year?

IndyRealist
04-12-2016, 12:46 PM
how is that a moot point? Towns is under team control for cheap for 5-7 years. RIGHT NOW he's more valuable at his current salary.

Not cheap for 5-7 years, cheap for 3 more years, 4 if he takes the qualifying offer, then really expensive.

FlashBolt
04-12-2016, 01:22 PM
if you take away the first month of his rookie year, he put up over 20/11/3/2 the vast majority of the year. Even if he doesn't improve at all from those numbers, I'll take him at $5m over injury prone AD at $21m.

Not knocking Towns. He's clearly having one of the better rookie season's we have seen lately. But, a guy by the name Blake Griffin was also in Towns position. It's safe to say that one lone good season isn't a clear indicator. Remember when people expected AD to explode and be the best player this season? He's barely top ten IMO. So we have to take into consideration their ceiling and I think down the line, AD will be a better player. But for now, you can't argue with a $5 million player putting up Towns numbers. Let's see where it goes next year and if that can lead to Minny finally making the playoffs.

JAZZNC
04-12-2016, 02:32 PM
I'd take Towns right now if I could have either for the rest of their career. Even if just for next year I'd take Towns. He has at least been able to stay healthy for a whole season. I would be happy with either player as they are both wonderful talents, I just like Towns better. He is more versatile on offense and his defense isn't just weak side blocks. He also has a pro big man's frame. He is not built like a bean pole which I think gives him more of a chance to stay in a jersey and out of street clothes.

mngopher35
04-12-2016, 02:44 PM
I wouldn't trade towns for Davis if given the opportunity. I think when it comes to trade value he may have surpassed Davis actually. Tough to say for sure though as both are great talents.

R. Johnson#3
04-12-2016, 03:05 PM
At this point in time Davis is more valuable but I believe by the end of next season it will be Towns. I'm high as **** on Towns and love everything about his game. Barring any sort of serious injury I think we have the next great big man in him.

CHANGO
04-12-2016, 06:00 PM
IMO I prefer KAT, he is legit, cheaper and still upping his game. I'm worried about AD and his injuries/shoulder.

da ThRONe
04-13-2016, 04:07 PM
no hes not. Did ouy not see the team AD carried to the playoffs last year?

Last year the team record was almost the same when Davis played as it was when he was out.