PDA

View Full Version : Should Randy Wittman be fired?

JasonJohnHorn
04-12-2016, 01:28 AM
I know the Wizards had a disappointing season, and this despite the fact that they were relatively healthy (Beal was the only player to miss significant time).

But I'm not sure a coaching change is in order.

This year Gortat had his finest season, and improved.

Otto Porter, who some considered a bust after his lacklustre rookie year and underwhelming sophomore season, has developed nicely and improved almost across the board.

Despite his injury, Beal's 2pt percentage went up and his 3pt% isn't far from where it was, making him a more versatile scorer.

And Wall has seen an improvement in his 3-pt shot (though his 2-pt shot is still woefully low).

It seems to me that the young players are all improving, and that this is a good sign, despite what the record says. Though I admit I felt the same about Mark Jackson.

I don't watch a lot of Wizards games, unless they play Detroit or Toronto and I happen to catch it (I think I only saw a Raptors game with them this season).

Is Wittman doing a bad job? Or was the East just better? Were injuries to Beal and Nene that big a factor that they should miss the playoffs?

I know the end result wasn't what people were expecting this year, but it seems like the players are improving.

Anybody have some insights into this? And if he should get fired, who would be an ideal replacement?

EAGLES3658
04-12-2016, 01:37 AM
Wittman needs to go. He isn't terrible but a good coach would get a lot more out of the team. The FO sucks too though.

Wade n Fade
04-12-2016, 01:39 AM
No. The Wizards are littered with injury bugs. Wall, Beal, Nene all suffered long term injury issues in the past. Gortat is an underappreciated 5. The Wizards are inconsistent. If Dwayne Casey got another chance, then Wittman should too. At least he won multiple post season series. The Wizards need another consistent scorer. If Crawford isn't back in LA, I would bring him into DC and have him serve as their best bench scorer. They're expecting to land Durant or another marquee free agent. They just need to draft better and sign good FAs and they should be fine. Wittman is a mediocre to decent coach. He isn't an issue like Alvin Gentry.

ewing
04-12-2016, 08:21 AM
They need to move on from the idea that John Wall is a franchise player that can have the ball in his hands all the time.

IndyRealist
04-12-2016, 08:42 AM
They need to move on from the idea that John Wall is a franchise player that can have the ball in his hands all the time.

Wall has amazing physical gifts, but I feel like that's all he uses to score. You cann't just try to blow by your defender every play, you'll burn out. He's more Rondo than he is Irving or Lillard, imo. They've always built around him as a scoring threat, when he's better served as a facilitator who picks his spots and isn't doubled.

DboneG
04-12-2016, 08:52 AM
Whenever a team is faltering blame the coach! Easy. But, I have seen that John Wall has been inconsistent all year. He's even made the all-star team. smh Nene has been a big disappointment. Bradley Beal has been hurt. And it look like players were tuning him out. Bad sign.

ewing
04-12-2016, 09:07 AM
Wall has amazing physical gifts, but I feel like that's all he uses to score. You cann't just try to blow by your defender every play, you'll burn out. He's more Rondo than he is Irving or Lillard, imo. They've always built around him as a scoring threat, when he's better served as a facilitator who picks his spots and isn't doubled.

Without a reliable jump shot I not sure how else he can score. I just think he looks to do it too much. Wall doesn't need to make a play every time. I think he needs to move the ball more and he needs to look to create less especially in the 1/2. His assist numbers would take a hit but if they can run a smoother offensive they would be better off. I will give him a lot of credit for playing hard and think he has gifts i just don't think he should should a guy that your whole offense filters through. I don't see the Wizards changing this without a true #1 though.

STRIKERC
04-12-2016, 10:41 AM

Truer words have never been spoken.
John Wall has and will always be overrated. He gives you nothing if he isn't blowing by his defender.
He's not a good shooter and even worse at facilitating.
John Wall is to Washington what Andre Igoudala was to Philly. He's the third option on a great team at best.
You can't win with him. Move on!

ewing
04-12-2016, 10:46 AM
Truer words have never been spoken.
John Wall has and will always be overrated. He gives you nothing if he isn't blowing by his defender.
He's not a good shooter and even worse at facilitating.
John Wall is to Washington what Andre Igoudala was to Philly. He's the third option on a great team at best.
You can't win with him. Move on!

I think that is a solid comparison. Wall is a good player that is being asked to do more then he can b/c he has great physical gifts. AI was the same way. He just wasn't good enough to be a number 1. He's was still a very good player but your weren't going to win big with an offensive that revolved around him.

Stinkyoutsider
04-12-2016, 11:15 AM
I think Wittman is a halfway decent coach but the Wizards biggest problem is that they need a few better options as far as players.

For bigs, they need to find another player who can go along with Gortat. He just had one of the best seasons of his career so the club needs to build on that effort by getting someone to pair him with and having Nene as a backup option. Possibly a defensive minded, athletic big who can run the floor and has a halfway decent jumper will allow Gortat to take care of the rebounding and do some scoring in the post. If his old running mate Dwight Howard was 100% healthy, he would be an option.

I think the Wizards need a number 1 scoring option on the wing too. Wall is a great player but I think he's at his best when he has the freedom to do a little bit of everything instead of being a number 1 scoring option. Beal is a good shooter who might be able to develop further if he can stay healthy but they need a reliable option. Durant would be a great fit there.

Also, bench is a concern imo. They need 1 or 2 guys who can create their own shot. It certainly wouldn't hurt to look at getting a guy who can concentrate on scoring off the bench as a number 1 priority. Someone like Jamal Crawford, Lou Williams (from a few years ago), or someone inexpensive who can put up some numbers.

j-bay
04-12-2016, 11:27 AM
Don't listen to Ewing. He is the biggest John Wall troll ever. Let me put this too you guys in short.

1.Wall did have an off season. But its kind of hard to do everything by yourself when your key teammates are injured or arn't doing anything. Don't believe me? There were games where Sessions and other role players had more points. Not good.

2.Wittman is a decent coach. Not a bad or great. I would describe Wittman as a starter coach. A team the has the young talent and is ready to make a playoff push. Like the Wolves have. Randy's time has come. Sorry Wittman but we need an upgrade.

3.Although i would be pissed if EG stays and only Wittman is fired. Ernie needs to go!

j-bay
04-12-2016, 11:31 AM
I think Wittman is a halfway decent coach but the Wizards biggest problem is that they need a few better options as far as players.

For bigs, they need to find another player who can go along with Gortat. He just had one of the best seasons of his career so the club needs to build on that effort by getting someone to pair him with and having Nene as a backup option. Possibly a defensive minded, athletic big who can run the floor and has a halfway decent jumper will allow Gortat to take care of the rebounding and do some scoring in the post. If his old running mate Dwight Howard was 100% healthy, he would be an option.

I think the Wizards need a number 1 scoring option on the wing too. Wall is a great player but I think he's at his best when he has the freedom to do a little bit of everything instead of being a number 1 scoring option. Beal is a good shooter who might be able to develop further if he can stay healthy but they need a reliable option. Durant would be a great fit there.

Also, bench is a concern imo. They need 1 or 2 guys who can create their own shot. It certainly wouldn't hurt to look at getting a guy who can concentrate on scoring off the bench as a number 1 priority. Someone like Jamal Crawford, Lou Williams (from a few years ago), or someone inexpensive who can put up some numbers.

Problem is Durant ain't coming. I'm sure the Wizards and all of DC will be on him, but its not happening. If i'm the Wiz i use all that money to go horford.

ewing
04-12-2016, 11:37 AM
Don't listen to Ewing. He is the biggest John Wall troll ever. Let me put this too you guys in short.

1.Wall did have an off season. But its kind of hard to do everything by yourself when your key teammates are injured or arn't doing anything. Don't believe me? There were games where Sessions and other role players had more points. Not good.

2.Wittman is a decent coach. Not a bad or great. I would describe Wittman as a starter coach. A team the has the young talent and is ready to make a playoff push. Like the Wolves have. Randy's time has come. Sorry Wittman but we need an upgrade.

3.Although i would be pissed if EG stays and only Wittman is fired. Ernie needs to go!

Why do you think Wall is having an off year? His #s as are as good or better then ever.

ewing
04-12-2016, 11:37 AM
Problem is Durant ain't coming. I'm sure the Wizards and all of DC will be on him, but its not happening. If i'm the Wiz i use all that money to go horford.

He would be a good fit. Durrant is the guy that make the Wiz a contender but Al would certainly make you better.

j-bay
04-12-2016, 11:42 AM
Why do you think Wall is having an off year? His #s as are as good or better then ever.

He had good numbers but he did it because he had to lift the entire team on his back. That happens with bad teams. Wall was kind of on and off to me this year. He either put up very high numbers or very low. I would like him to be consistant.

IndyRealist
04-12-2016, 11:48 AM
He had good numbers but he did it because he had to lift the entire team on his back. That happens with bad teams. Wall was kind of on and off to me this year. He either put up very high numbers or very low. I would like him to be consistant.

If Wall gets a pass why doesn't Harden, who actually lost a coach this year and who's costar has been trying to get him traded? If Beal said, "it's Wall or me" i think we could all forgive them for missing the playoffs.

j-bay
04-12-2016, 11:58 AM
He would be a good fit. Durrant is the guy that make the Wiz a contender but Al would certainly make you better.

I would love Durant but im pretty sure he sees the writing on the wall(no pun haha).Wall is great but not better than Westbrook, and OKC has a better roster. Add in the fact that we don't have a first round pick thanks to that idiot Ernie and we arn't even in the competion. KD will have all of Washington on him pressuring him to come home. His friends will be calling all the time plus i'm sure the Redskins will help with the recruiting effort. But it won't work. The only way KD takes a look at us, and the key word here is a LOOK, is if we offer him the largest contract in NBA history and you sign Thibs. And even then i don't think Thibs is comming based off ofthe history
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/05/29/remember-when-the-wizards-hired-tom-thibodeau/
So you take that money, add Horford, move Morris to the bench and you got a solid line-up of
Gortat
Horford
OPJR
Beal
Wall

j-bay
04-12-2016, 12:02 PM
If Wall gets a pass why doesn't Harden, who actually lost a coach this year and who's costar has been trying to get him traded? If Beal said, "it's Wall or me" i think we could all forgive them for missing the playoffs.

You said it yourself. There was no drama with the Wizards. Beal had 17.4 ppg but he couldn't stay healthy. Reason why i said Wall had to carry this team. Wall and Beal are still close. Harden and Howard are not.

j-bay
04-12-2016, 12:22 PM
By the way according to reports it looks like Randy will be fired. Now i hope EG will be fired.

Scoots
04-12-2016, 01:00 PM
I think a change is needed just because a change is needed. The question is who replaces Wittman who is a clear upgrade?

ewing
04-12-2016, 01:06 PM
I would love Durant but im pretty sure he sees the writing on the wall(no pun haha).Wall is great but not better than Westbrook, and OKC has a better roster. Add in the fact that we don't have a first round pick thanks to that idiot Ernie and we arn't even in the competion. KD will have all of Washington on him pressuring him to come home. His friends will be calling all the time plus i'm sure the Redskins will help with the recruiting effort. But it won't work. The only way KD takes a look at us, and the key word here is a LOOK, is if we offer him the largest contract in NBA history and you sign Thibs. And even then i don't think Thibs is comming based off ofthe history
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/05/29/remember-when-the-wizards-hired-tom-thibodeau/
So you take that money, add Horford, move Morris to the bench and you got a solid line-up of
Gortat
Horford
OPJR
Beal
Wall

Doesn't sound like bad blood. Sound like Thibs is a principled guy and turned down an offer that would have been good for him based on that

j-bay
04-12-2016, 02:05 PM
I think a change is needed just because a change is needed. The question is who replaces Wittman who is a clear upgrade?

Thibs

Scoots
04-12-2016, 02:38 PM
Thibs

Yeah, Thibs has been touring the NBA all season and is going to do it again this offseason to decide which team he wants to coach next.

STRIKERC
04-12-2016, 05:32 PM

Horford = Wall
A third option + another third option will never equate to 1st option. NEVER!

In the NB******king A you need a first option guy to win.
Sure, if you just wanna be entertained for the regular season and some playoff games definitely go for the third option duo.

j-bay
04-12-2016, 06:16 PM
Horford = Wall
A third option + another third option will never equate to 1st option. NEVER!

In the NB******king A you need a first option guy to win.
Sure, if you just wanna be entertained for the regular season and some playoff games definitely go for the third option duo.

Like i said i love KD but its not happening. However....nah probably won't happen. But how about Lebron. Washington has a fat amount of cash, he and Wall have the same agent. Lets make some magic happen.

STRIKERC
04-12-2016, 08:33 PM
You guys should go after KD with everything you guys have in Washington, and if that fails trade Wall for some young stud. You should never be shy hit the reset button.