PDA

View Full Version : Report: Phil Jackson considering David Blatt as possible next Knicks head coach

spreadeagle
04-11-2016, 10:11 PM
interesting twist lol
Derek Fisher was let go as the Knicks head coach in part because of his communication skills — players felt left in the dark at times, and Phil Jackson and Fisher were not communicating in the way you would hope a coach and GM would.

So they may ultimately replace him with… David Blatt?

Kurt Rambis is still the front-runner to keep the job he currently has on an interim basis. Much to the chagrin of Knicks fans (and with good reason). They are hoping for someone else, but that someone else was probably not Blatt. That said, he’s on the Knicks radar, reports Ian Begley of ESPN.

One name that the Knicks are considering, according to league sources, is former Cleveland Cavaliers head coach David Blatt.

Jackson views Blatt favorably, according to sources. It’s also worth noting that Blatt played basketball with Knicks GM Steve Mills at Princeton… It wouldn’t be a surprise if Jackson considered other candidates outside of Blatt as well, though Rambis is still believed to be one of the top candidates. http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/04/11/report-phil-jackson-considering-david-blatt-as-possible-next-knicks-head-coach/

Wade n Fade
04-11-2016, 10:15 PM
Blatt is a joke. He clearly shows that he cannot coach at the NBA level. Remember when he nearly got a tech for calling too many TOs lol?

Chronz
04-11-2016, 10:29 PM
Blatt is a joke. He clearly shows that he cannot coach at the NBA level. Remember when he nearly got a tech for calling too many TOs lol?

Thats why this would be the perfect situation for him. A sorry team that he can rebuild and learn with. I know of a certain Knick poster who would love this move.

ewing
04-11-2016, 10:54 PM
doubt it. it'd be like his first NBA job if he got it so i don't have much opinion on him anyway.

Dade County
04-11-2016, 11:01 PM
So Phil wants to pull the strings behind the scenes as well. First Lbj now Phil...smh

naps
04-12-2016, 12:32 AM
You have to wonder why and how no one wants to touch coach Thibs. I mean he was regularly rated as one of the top 3 coaches in NBA for his entire bulls tenure. And his records speak for his success. I guess there is something we dont know about him other than playing his starters 40 mins a game and running them on fumes by the time post-season starts. Gotta wonder what it is.

kobe4thewinbang
04-12-2016, 12:36 AM
I dunno if Blatt's style would fit in New York, plus huge pressure on him again and another star in Melo that might bump heads with him.

ManningToTyree
04-12-2016, 01:20 AM
You have to wonder why and how no one wants to touch coach Thibs. I mean he was regularly rated as one of the top 3 coaches in NBA for his entire bulls tenure. And his records speak for his success. I guess there is something we dont know about him other than playing his starters 40 mins a game and running them on fumes by the time post-season starts. Gotta wonder what it is. in the Knicks case is he would but heads with Phils philosophy. He wants a triangle puppet.

I'd take Blatt if it meant no Rambis.

Wade n Fade
04-12-2016, 01:34 AM
Thats why this would be the perfect situation for him. A sorry team that he can rebuild and learn with. I know of a certain Knick poster who would love this move.

Wouldn't expect a sorry owner, questionable decision maker, terrible roster, an overrated "star" player, and a lameduck coach to do much lol.

naps
04-12-2016, 04:13 AM
in the Knicks case is he would but heads with Phils philosophy. He wants a triangle puppet.

I'd take Blatt if it meant no Rambis.

Phil is such a scumbag. He needs to stop his obsession with the triangle. Not fair for these coaches to work some triangle magic with this piece of **** roster. They just dont have the personnel to make it work. I mean it's not like they are lucky enough to work with some of the greatest players this game has ever seen. I bet Phil would already be coaching this team if it had 2 of the best players in the game. Lucky SOB.

naps
04-12-2016, 04:16 AM
It's crazy how the biggest market of all is not being able to build a championship team in over 40 years. Building a team in NY should be easier than building in most other markets.

DboneG
04-12-2016, 08:36 AM
I think it's time for James Dolan to pull the plug on Phil Jackson. When will James Dolan realize Phil Jackson's plan isn't working? Phil Jackson...this super smart guy! The Zen master! He had Michael Jordan, and Scottie Pippen. He pretty much just had to let the thoroughbreds run! Same thing over there in G.S.! Steve Kerr just have to sit there and let them go! Let race horses run! Even Luke Walton sat there and looked like a smart coach for a month or two...lol! Now he's thinking about David Blatt?! If I were James Dolan....BYE!! "Take all them books with you!!"

BKLYNpigeon
04-12-2016, 09:12 AM
Obviously if they bring in Blatt, that means they're trading Melo and starting out fresh.

Scoots
04-12-2016, 12:53 PM
Thibs is the answer. He's a triangle coach. He wants more power in an organization. Phil wants out. Phil hires Thibs, a year later Phil leaves and Thibs gets control and gets to run whatever he wants.

IndyRealist
04-12-2016, 01:13 PM
I think if Thibs put his name in any vacancy would be his. I suspect he's waiting to land in a good situation, rather than take on a rebuild others have already failed at. And I seriously doubt he gets the kind of control SVG has in Detroit if he goes to NY.

Scoots
04-12-2016, 03:02 PM
I think if Thibs put his name in any vacancy would be his. I suspect he's waiting to land in a good situation, rather than take on a rebuild others have already failed at. And I seriously doubt he gets the kind of control SVG has in Detroit if he goes to NY.

Yeah ... in the next week he'll be spending a lot of time in the air traveling to every open gig.

j-bay
04-12-2016, 03:09 PM
Yeah ... in the next week he'll be spending a lot of time in the air traveling to every open gig.

NY would be a good fit.... if Jackson wasn't there. For. Some reason i cant see Phil and Thibs getting along. I think Phil wants to be puppet master.

mngopher35
04-12-2016, 03:56 PM
I still think Blatt should get another shot to coach somewhere.

I am kinda hoping for Thibs in Minnesota. There is even potential to take over in a Flip type of role.

Scoots
04-12-2016, 04:38 PM
I still think Blatt should get another shot to coach somewhere.

I am kinda hoping for Thibs in Minnesota. There is even potential to take over in a Flip type of role.

Honestly I'd like Blatt to take the job he'd been offered before he took the Cavs gig.

mngopher35
04-12-2016, 04:42 PM
Honestly I'd like Blatt to take the job he'd been offered before he took the Cavs gig.

As an assistant on the Warriors? I can't remember anything else so refresh my memory... If that's what you meant it would likely raise his stock at the very least.

I just think he has enough coaching success (granted not NBA) to reasonably think he can get the job done with some more experience and the right talent/situation.

HeartOfStarks
04-12-2016, 04:42 PM
I want Thibs but guessing it's not too likely even though supposedly he would love to coach the Knicks (he must love challenges!), but that said I'll take Blatt over Rambis. I'd take a lot of coaches over Rambis tho so...

Knick bag
04-12-2016, 04:54 PM
Wow...Knick beat writers must be bored. Next Phil will be considering Joe Girardi Or Tom Coughlin for the next HC.

IndyRealist
04-12-2016, 04:56 PM
Wow...Knick beat writers must be bored. Next Phil will be considering Joe Girardi Or Tom Coughlin for the next HC.

BREAKING: Greg Popovich, Steve Kerr on top of Phil Jackson's list of possible coaches.

No seriously, he should go after Luke Walton.

Scoots
04-12-2016, 05:00 PM
As an assistant on the Warriors? I can't remember anything else so refresh my memory... If that's what you meant it would likely raise his stock at the very least.

I just think he has enough coaching success (granted not NBA) to reasonably think he can get the job done with some more experience and the right talent/situation.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Walton may not leave this off-season but he's not going to be around much longer most likely and it looks like the Warriors are going to be a coaching farm like the Spurs at least for a bit so it would be good for Blatt too.

Scoots
04-12-2016, 05:07 PM
BREAKING: Greg Popovich, Steve Kerr on top of Phil Jackson's list of possible coaches.

No seriously, he should go after Luke Walton.

Luke's Dad told him not to go :)

xxplayerxx23
04-12-2016, 06:13 PM
I think it's time for James Dolan to pull the plug on Phil Jackson. When will James Dolan realize Phil Jackson's plan isn't working? Phil Jackson...this super smart guy! The Zen master! He had Michael Jordan, and Scottie Pippen. He pretty much just had to let the thoroughbreds run! Same thing over there in G.S.! Steve Kerr just have to sit there and let them go! Let race horses run! Even Luke Walton sat there and looked like a smart coach for a month or two...lol! Now he's thinking about David Blatt?! If I were James Dolan....BYE!! "Take all them books with you!!"

Lol rebuilding the Knicks in 2 years good luck nobody does that. He drafted pretty well, FAs didn't want to come year 1 no surprise there after 17 wins. Knicks nearly doubled their win total have cap space a nice rookie and an open head coaching spot that could be a good thing. We are in no worse position at all since Phil took over , if you had high hopes for this Knicks team you are even dumber than Dolan. This is a pretty big offseason for him year 3 is where they should make a playoff push. You act as if teams become championship conrenders overnight, only team that did that was Miami because the big 3 planned a place to team up. Stop it.

xxplayerxx23
04-12-2016, 06:15 PM
NY would be a good fit.... if Jackson wasn't there. For. Some reason i cant see Phil and Thibs getting along. I think Phil wants to be puppet master.

Like Thibs but let's not act like he hasn't had problems with the Bulls front office. He overworks his players and has had problems with mangement. I like Thibs but he isn't this perfect coach that's going to make the Knicks a contender because he's there. Not saying you have said that just taking my frustrations out on some that think he can turn the team around.

xxplayerxx23
04-12-2016, 06:18 PM
Here's my take, blatt never got a fair shake. They went to the finals took the Warriors to 6, I understand he had Lebron but it's hard to judge when Lebron was the coach/gm there. I'm not against him as coach, with that said it doesn't matter who coaches team will be good if KP gets better (probable ) grant improves (hopefully) and they attract FAs. Affalo will leave opening up 8 mill , expect Jose to be stretched opening up another 5 so they'll have a good 33 mill at least. That'll be the key, Thibs Mark Jackson blatt Rambis it doesn't matter who coaches if they can't grab some solid FAs they will be a 35-40 win team next year.

naps
04-12-2016, 06:49 PM
Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Walton may not leave this off-season but he's not going to be around much longer most likely and it looks like the Warriors are going to be a coaching farm like the Spurs at least for a bit so it would be good for Blatt too.

Really? Alvin Gentry has been an established head coach for a long time now. Who else might get a head coaching gig other than Walton from the warriors? I mean Pop has his own coaching tree. He turns no names into head coaches and they are coveted everywhere. Kerr needs to turn these warriors into a dynasty and prove his is a genius coach before his assistants become wanted everywhere. I think you are reaching there if that's what you refered to.

Scoots
04-12-2016, 06:55 PM
Really? Alvin Gentry has been an established head coach for a long time now. Who else might get a head coaching gig other than Walton from the warriors? I mean Pop has his own coaching tree. He turns no names into head coaches and they are coveted everywhere. Kerr needs to turn these warriors into a dynasty and prove his is a genius coach before his assistants become wanted everywhere. I think you are reaching there if that's what you refered to.

2 coaches leaving to be head coaches in possibly 2 years under Kerr is enough of a trend for me to speculate sure (or "reach" if you prefer). Kerr learned from Pop to promote his coaches to other teams and to develop them to move up to the next job and by doing that you get better assistants. My point was the Warriors need to re-stock their coaching group after possibly losing 2 assistants in 2 years and adding Blatt would be good for the Warriors and Blatt.