PDA

View Full Version : If the Playoffs Were Seeded 1-16 This Spring

Shammyguy3
04-09-2016, 12:33 PM
This is about 1 week early, but it's Saturday and I want to bring it up. And by the time the season ends maybe this slightly changes but the discussion will remain: Are there still fans out there that want to do away with the conference playoff seeding?

1. Golden State vs 16. Utah
2. San Antonio vs 15. Dallas
3. Cleveland vs 14. Indiana/Memphis
4. Oklahoma City vs 13. Memphis/Indiana
5. Toronto vs 12. Detroit/Portland
6. LA Clippers vs 11. Detroit/Portland
7. Atlanta/Boston vs 10. Charlotte/Miami
8. Atlanta/Boston vs 9. Charlotte/Miami

Bracket would look something like

1. Golden State vs 16. Utah
8. Atlanta/Boston vs 9. Charlotte/Miami

4. Oklahoma City vs 13. Memphis/Indiana
5. Toronto vs 12. Detroit/Portland

2. San Antonio vs 15. Dallas
7. Atlanta/Boston vs 10. Charlotte/Miami

3. Cleveland vs 14. Indiana/Memphis
6. LA Clippers vs 11. Detroit/Portland

Soooooo, discuss

MonroeFAN
04-09-2016, 12:43 PM
The only people complaining were fans of Western Conference teams, of which a majority of sucked this year.

So probably not.

Scoots
04-11-2016, 07:14 PM
The only people complaining were fans of Western Conference teams, of which a majority of sucked this year.

So probably not.

There are 9 Eastern Conference teams over .500 this year and 8 Western Conference teams ... the Warriors/Spurs won 27 more games than the Cavs/Raps.

The gap got smaller because the bottom of the East got better, and the middle of the West got worse.

I think it's interesting that the brackets end up East vs East and West vs West down the line for the most part.

Still, doubt it happens for no other reason than travel equity.

ewing
04-12-2016, 09:53 AM
I'd like see. The NBA needs more unpredictability

likemystylez
04-12-2016, 10:05 AM
This season is a bad example to call for it because a lot of the match ups are the same thing.

basch152
04-12-2016, 10:23 AM
This season is perfect for it just for the SA vs GS finals.

Vampirate
04-12-2016, 10:35 AM
So either way the Raptors are probably facing Detroit lol.

mavwar53
04-12-2016, 10:35 AM
My main argument against this would be travel, what if the Warriors got Atlanta or Boston in the 2nd round, the travel would wear on both teams way too much. Where as more central teams would have an advantage like they do throughout the year. The Warriors have already traveled 18500 more miles than the cavs.

I think it would be most interesting if top seed on down got their pick of who they wanted to play, they determine their matchups and travel, and you wouldn't have to answer the stupid questions of who would you rather play.

Lucky.
04-12-2016, 10:50 AM
The entire 2nd round would most likely be East vs West across the board.

Golden State vs Boston
Oklahoma City vs Toronto
San Antonio vs Atlanta
Cleveland vs LA Clippers

Some entertaining match-ups.

Either way, I'd like to see them spice it up somehow. Whether it's this, cutting the playoff teams in half or having a play-in game. Hell, combine all three of the things listed above. Just something. Watching half the teams (or at least majority) get slaughtered in the first round and occasionally the second round has grown stale.

Shammyguy3
04-12-2016, 11:04 AM
My main argument against this would be travel, what if the Warriors got Atlanta or Boston in the 2nd round, the travel would wear on both teams way too much. Where as more central teams would have an advantage like they do throughout the year. The Warriors have already traveled 18500 more miles than the cavs.

I think it would be most interesting if top seed on down got their pick of who they wanted to play, they determine their matchups and travel, and you wouldn't have to answer the stupid questions of who would you rather play.

Travel does not come into play as much as you think. These guys are on the most comfortable jets you can dream of, and they have days off between each game as well as an additional day off for certain travel days. It's really not a problem.

Scoots
04-12-2016, 11:20 AM
Travel does not come into play as much as you think. These guys are on the most comfortable jets you can dream of, and they have days off between each game as well as an additional day off for certain travel days. It's really not a problem.

Chris Bosh' blood clot issue is exacerbated by travel. A lot of players have back problems made worse by hours on a plane. A Indy/Cleveland series has a LOT less travel than a Warriors Pelicans series.

Travel isn't a deciding factor, but when one series has guys checked into their hotel at 8pm and the other they are getting there at 2am it makes a difference.

Shammyguy3
04-12-2016, 11:45 AM
Chris Bosh' blood clot issue is exacerbated by travel. A lot of players have back problems made worse by hours on a plane. A Indy/Cleveland series has a LOT less travel than a Warriors Pelicans series.

Travel isn't a deciding factor, but when one series has guys checked into their hotel at 8pm and the other they are getting there at 2am it makes a difference.

Bosh's blood clot is a serious issue that is not a regular in the league, and should not deter from any playoff scheduling changes. Yes, an Indy/Cleveland series has a lot less travel than a Warriors Pelicans series. But doesn't an Atlanta and Boston series have a lot more travel than a Golden State/Clippers series?

The difference is marginal at most when there are days off between every game, and an additional day off for travel at points throughout the playoff series.

Scoots
04-12-2016, 03:20 PM
Bosh's blood clot is a serious issue that is not a regular in the league, and should not deter from any playoff scheduling changes. Yes, an Indy/Cleveland series has a lot less travel than a Warriors Pelicans series. But doesn't an Atlanta and Boston series have a lot more travel than a Golden State/Clippers series?

The difference is marginal at most when there are days off between every game, and an additional day off for travel at points throughout the playoff series.

Bosh's blood clot is rare, but the condition that lead to it is common in large men who travel a lot. Back problems are common in them too.

Travel is a problem for western teams already with 15 of the top 19 teams in miles traveled this year being western teams.

Another factor in not changing the playoffs is it would make it harder for rivalries to flourish and the NBA and the fans love rivalries.

Saddletramp
04-12-2016, 05:10 PM

Not a problem? Tell that to 7 ft guys with bad backs. Of course it's a potential problem. A few years back when Houston and Portland had their first round series, I remember Parsons getting back problems and it affecting his game. It's part of the grind but I wouldn't say that it's "not a problem".

Vee-Rex
04-12-2016, 05:54 PM
I like the idea of rivalries. Besides, I'm sure 1 through 16 seeding wouldn't be as fresh and invigorating in a few years as it is now, so long-term it wouldn't be as appealing.