PDA

View Full Version : Hinkie suspects Colangelo of leaking resignation letter to press

spreadeagle
04-08-2016, 03:46 PM
Philadelphia 76ers general manager Sam Hinkie began to believe that this burgeoning front-office arrangement would never work for him, that chairman Jerry Colangelo had persuaded ownership to marginalize Hinkie’s influence and strip his authority.

Over weeks, Hinkie had considered the possibility of his future and finally decided to resign on Wednesday. He often explained himself to ownership in letters and reports, especially because that’s how it liked to be informed of his plans of action.

So, Hinkie emailed his resignation letter in the afternoon to Sixers ownership, including 12 majority and minority owners, and Jerry Colangelo. He expected ownership to respond to him and work toward a joint public announcement on Thursday, sources said. Within two hours of sending the email, the letter had been leaked – Jerry Colangelo was Hinkie’s strong suspicion, sources said – to a media outlet.

Hinkie was mortified to see his words in the public arena, never expecting that a private correspondence to his superiors would become public and turn into something of a mocked manifesto. He wanted to tell his staff of his decision on late Wednesday or Thursday morning, once he talked with ownership about how his departure would be made public.

Hinkie never had the chance. The news was out, and Hinkie had lost control of his departure. His staff learned of his resignation in the news.

From the moment Colangelo arrived on the job in December, Hinkie was doomed – no matter how hard Hinkie tried to work with Colangelo, no matter how hard he tried to accept and implement his advice. Around Hinkie, people were surprised at how optimistic he had been about finding a way to coexist with Colangelo, about working together. Others were far more cynical about how this would end – and turned out to be right. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-the-76ers-unraveled-sam-hinkie-193118470.html

warfelg
04-08-2016, 04:04 PM
Doesn't shock me as reports came out that Colangelo's friend is a child abuser. Guess the NBA rather protect a child abuser than someone trying something new.

Tony_Starks
04-08-2016, 04:33 PM
^low blow my man, and since when did we become the morality police?

On topic I'm no Hinkie fan but that's pretty messed up to release that letter if he didn't intend for it to be public. Shows there was obviously some animus in the organization for him.

Couldn't have happened to a better guy tho!

warfelg
04-08-2016, 04:40 PM
So tanking is ok to judge but this isnt:
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/best-of/2005/arts-and-entertainment/best-place-to-see-a-defrocked-pedophile-priest-consort-with-jerry-colangelo-6466331

CubsRule08
04-08-2016, 04:49 PM
Doesn't shock me as reports came out that Colangelo's friend is a child abuser. Guess the NBA rather protect a child abuser than someone trying something new.

I don't understand your point...why would/should the NBA punish Colangelo because one of his friends is accused of being a child molester?

If it has nothing to do with him unless he's actually accused of it as well, what's the point of bringing it up?

bulls_big fan09
04-08-2016, 08:11 PM
Hinkie did a damn good job for the sixers in his tenure to build up talent and assets for the team. Embiid could still be a beast and possibly the best player from his draft and a pick he'd probably do again. He's picked very well from the players we've seen. Nerlens is going to be a DPOY candidate if healthy but was a risky pick but one of the best picks in the 2013 draft. MCW could end up being the most valuable pick in this draft since hinkie moved him, a middle pick in a very weak draft, for probably a top 3-5 pick in a better draft class. A move that was heavily criticized by the media and people who regularly discredit hinkie could end up even better then his hosing of NO that got them Nerlens and Saric. Embiid is still a wait and see but with his crazy potential their still aren't many guys I'd be tempted over him there, fewer that we're looked at as lottery picks and, I wouldn't be surprised if it still is the right pick. The fact that Hinkie felt embarrassed over the letter should be embarrassing for Colangelo and Philly. Hinkie set Colangelo up alot better then the mess Hinkie started with. I hope Colangelo didn't leak this he owes Hinkie for the position he's been put in this and next summer and Philly should be appreciative of the job Hinkie has done.

beasted86
04-09-2016, 05:39 PM
I'm not sure what to believe.

I don't know the inner workings of a billion dollar business. But had has anyone else heard of a 13 page resignation letter? Quoting like 15 or however many different people?

It almost seems like it was for more eyes than the board members. But then who wants to commit career suicide in such a 'manifesto'? With him resigning, it's not like he is entitled to the rest of his contract pay.

JasonJohnHorn
04-10-2016, 12:37 PM
That's a d!ck move on Colangelo's part.

If I were Philly I'd fire him just on principle. You don't need that kind of back-stabber in your organization.

Colangelo already got what he wanted: Hinkie out so he could give his son a job. Should just let Hinkie exit on his own terms. No need to try and shame him any further.

beasted86
04-10-2016, 12:51 PM
That's a d!ck move on Colangelo's part.

If I were Philly I'd fire him just on principle. You don't need that kind of back-stabber in your organization.

Colangelo already got what he wanted: Hinkie out so he could give his son a job. Should just let Hinkie exit on his own terms. No need to try and shame him any further.

I mean on the other hand Hinkie is the one who also went above and beyond to throw Colangelo under the bus to the board members in his manifesto.

Scoots
04-11-2016, 07:04 PM
I mean on the other hand Hinkie is the one who also went above and beyond to throw Colangelo under the bus to the board members in his manifesto.

And doubled down on it by copying Colangelo on the letter directly.

warfelg
04-11-2016, 07:22 PM
And doubled down on it by copying Colangelo on the letter directly.

And then Colangelo quits after 4 months on the job. Jerry is looking like villain the more that comes out. What did the NBA 'force' on us?

ewing
04-11-2016, 11:12 PM
And then Colangelo quits after 4 months on the job. Jerry is looking like villain the more that comes out. What did the NBA 'force' on us?

respectability

Scoots
04-12-2016, 12:00 AM

I think his stepping aside was probably the plan all along. Bryan didn't want to work for Dad but nobody available brings the NBA wide respectability of Jerry. If I had to guess it wasn't the NBA so much as Harris changing his mind on Hinkie.

warfelg
04-12-2016, 06:20 AM
I think his stepping aside was probably the plan all along. Bryan didn't want to work for Dad but nobody available brings the NBA wide respectability of Jerry. If I had to guess it wasn't the NBA so much as Harris changing his mind on Hinkie.

I would suggest giving this, titled "Sixers' Joshua Harris, Jerry Colangelo are either lying, incompetent or both" a read:

http://www.libertyballers.com/2016/4/11/11402728/sixers-joshua-harris-and-jerry-colangelo-are-either-lying-incompetent

Between stories like that (many Sixers beat writers are writing the same thing) and Woj's smear campaign on Jerry Colangelo, I want nothing more than JC to have nothing to do with the franchise and Harris to sell the team. I actually feel bad for Bryan Colangelo because Harris just couldn't be a man about things from the sounds of it.

ewing
04-12-2016, 08:18 AM
I would suggest giving this, titled "Sixers' Joshua Harris, Jerry Colangelo are either lying, incompetent or both" a read:

http://www.libertyballers.com/2016/4/11/11402728/sixers-joshua-harris-and-jerry-colangelo-are-either-lying-incompetent

Between stories like that (many Sixers beat writers are writing the same thing) and Woj's smear campaign on Jerry Colangelo, I want nothing more than JC to have nothing to do with the franchise and Harris to sell the team. I actually feel bad for Bryan Colangelo because Harris just couldn't be a man about things from the sounds of it.

Colangelo is a proven commodity. When the Knicks hired Pat Riley I doubt they felt the need to interview Butch Beard. Ownership is well within there right to decide that BC is there guy and they don't need to go through some exhaustive process. Yes, he is Jerry's son. Jerry is very accomplished himself and I am sure Jerry had influence. There is nothing wrong with that. I'; sorry but you guys are just going have to get used to not punting on 1st down

Scoots
04-12-2016, 01:03 PM

I had read that. My biggest take from this is that the failing was Harris' more than anything else. I said several times that I was impressed with him for supporting his GM and coach through the losing. I don't blame Colangelo for it ... but Hinkie was bad at PR and Harris' support apparently ran out.

beasted86
04-12-2016, 01:39 PM

Hmmm... You want the owner to sell the team because you as a fan are not okay with him trying to win sooner and the team spending money on free agents.

It's a compare bizarro-world to how I feel about the Marlins owner Loria. The owner refuses to spend money on players and is such a cheapskate he made the GM step down and coach the team so he wouldn't have to pay multiple coaches that were fired and trades away the good players so he doesn't have to pay them as free agents who become all stars on other teams.

Really weird perspective you have there. I would love an owner who got impatient with losing and gambling in the draft.

Scoots
04-12-2016, 02:57 PM
Bad owners really suck the life out of teams, and it's kind of hard to tell from the outside when the owner is the problem.

Tony_Starks
04-12-2016, 03:11 PM
Donald Sterling came along at the wrong time, by today's rationale his process of penny pinching and fielding a college exposition team would be perfect.....minus the racism of course.

warfelg
04-12-2016, 04:32 PM
Bad owners really suck the life out of teams, and it's kind of hard to tell from the outside when the owner is the problem.

Since you've been somewhat interested and seem plugged in I'm sure you've seen parts of the press conference. Harris came off horrible in that thing.

The thing that gets me (and the other two didn't address) is if he wanted Hinkie out because he (Harris) was unhappy, then fire him!! Don't use the business double talk, mention duel GM duties, and needing a "team to manage the team". He clearly didn't have the balls to fire Hinkie but was unhappy with the way things went.

Scoots
04-12-2016, 06:23 PM
Since you've been somewhat interested and seem plugged in I'm sure you've seen parts of the press conference. Harris came off horrible in that thing.

The thing that gets me (and the other two didn't address) is if he wanted Hinkie out because he (Harris) was unhappy, then fire him!! Don't use the business double talk, mention duel GM duties, and needing a "team to manage the team". He clearly didn't have the balls to fire Hinkie but was unhappy with the way things went.

Just keep taking power away until they quit. Often you don't have to pay someone out on their contract if they quit on you.

naps
04-12-2016, 07:04 PM
I hated Hinkie's process because clearly it sucked (drafting players at the same position who cant even play, and not bringing in veterans to guide them) but at the same time I don't like how the ownership dealt this whole situation. They should have fired him long time ago. And these Colangelos are creepy as hell. Never liked them. I cant believe the father couldnt find a better GM than his own son. I mean cmon now!

warfelg
04-13-2016, 09:24 AM
Haha something funny to consider:

Spineless snakes in the weeds did their work to get Hinkie fired for tanking.

We hired a GM who has admitted to tanking and has argued the benefits!!!