PDA

View Full Version : Would you put Steve Kerr in the HOF

effen5
04-07-2016, 11:30 AM
Steve Kerr was one of my favorite players growing up as a kid (outside of MJ obviously), I had to beg my mom to get me a black bulls Steve Kerr jersey back in 97, but I had no idea he was going to have this type of career.

While his numbers are not that great, he played a huge part in the second 3 peat for the Chicago Bulls including the game winner for the 97 Championship.

In 03 WCF, he came off the Spurs bench COLD and drained 4 huge 3s against the Mavs which changed the entire series and on his way to his 5th title.

He won his 6th title as a coach winning 67 games in his rookie year.

He has the opportunity to beat the best record to win 73 games. He would be the only person to be a part of both teams and the opportunity to win his 7th ring.

If his coaching career continued the way it has, would you put him in the HOF?

I also forgot to add that he owns the highest 3pt % in the NBA.

Hawkeye15
04-07-2016, 11:35 AM
easily. remember, it's the Basketball HOF

All American at Arizona, twice. All Pac-10, twice. Gold Medal for the US in 1986. Decent NBA career. Now has a championship as a head coach.

He will sail in, because it's all wrapped into one big resume.

ewing
04-07-2016, 11:38 AM
no, he isn't close.

effen5
04-07-2016, 11:44 AM
His career is just ridiculous if you think about it...think about all the HOF coaches he also had the opportunity to play for

Lute Olson
Lenny Wilkins
Phil Jackson
Greg Popovich

All the amazing players he got to play with
Mark Price
Tom Chambers
Craig Ehlo
Shaq
Jordan
Pippen
Rodman
David Robinson
Duncan

ewing
04-07-2016, 11:45 AM

All American at Arizona, twice. All Pac-10, twice. Gold Medal for the US in 1986. Decent NBA career. Now has a championship as a head coach.

are you trolling Hawk?

KnicksorBust
04-07-2016, 11:59 AM

Saved me the trouble. When you combine his college, pro, and coaching careers he is already in.

ManningToTyree
04-07-2016, 12:03 PM
Sure why not. The basketball hall of fame puts everyone in when you factor in college and influence stuff. If he continues an impressive coaching stint he's easily past the bar that has been set.

HeartOfStarks
04-07-2016, 12:10 PM
I'm not really familiar at all with how the bball HOF works (apparently), but as a player my answer to this would be no way. Yeah he's a great shooter, was on all time great Bulls teams, but dude was a backup. I don't really get why a backup goes to the HOF but I guess bball works differently.

Also as a coach... the guy has fallen into the easiest coaching gig possibly ever. I mean maybe he's a really good coach, but I honestly can't really judge that based off him coaching this team. He's basically coaching an allstar team. But he sails into the HOF? Okay I guess whatever.

Hawkeye15
04-07-2016, 12:11 PM
are you trolling Hawk?

are you aware it's the Basketball HOF? He was a stud in college, won a gold medal, had a sustainable NBA career, and has now won a championship as a head coach.

That is literally an automatic shoe-in to the Basketball HOF.

bootsy
04-07-2016, 12:21 PM

LOL that is not a HOFer. Decent NBA career, a gold medal in 86 that's not an olympic gold medal. He was never the best player on any of his teams. As a coach he might get in if he wins multiple titles but he is not even close to a HOFer as a player.

DboneG
04-07-2016, 12:35 PM
Stop it!! It's bad enough that Yao Ming got in!!!

dhopisthename
04-07-2016, 12:43 PM
Stop it!! It's bad enough that Yao Ming got in!!!

yao ming at least made all nba teams and all star teams. steve kerr in the NCAA averaged 11.2 points in his 4 years at Arizona and made one ap 2nd team. In the nba he averaged 6 points per game and only started 30 nba games in his career. as for the gold medal he didn't even finish because he blew out his knee. There are hundreds of more deserving guys until potentially his coaching carrer allows him to make it.

ewing
04-07-2016, 12:54 PM
Saved me the trouble. When you combine his college, pro, and coaching careers he is already in.

If there was a college basketball HOF he wouldn't be in it. If there was a international basketball HOF he wouldn't be in it. If there was an NBA HOF he wouldn't be in it. Combine them and he's not a HOFer

DboneG
04-07-2016, 12:56 PM
"yao ming at least made all nba teams and all star teams. steve kerr in the NCAA averaged 11.2 points in his 4 years at Arizona and made one ap 2nd team. In the nba he averaged 6 points per game and only started 30 nba games in his career. as for the gold medal he didn't even finish because he blew out his knee. There are hundreds of more deserving guys until potentially his coaching carrer allows him to make it."..........My point exactly! One can make a clear case against/for Yao Ming with his watered down numbers. But, Steve Kerr?!!!
STOP IT!!!! Steve Kerr was weak!! He had ZERO defense! He couldn't run, he couldn't jump, he could only shoot. AND ONLY SHOOT IF HE WAS W-I-D-E OPEN!

FlashBolt
04-07-2016, 01:12 PM
LOL that is not a HOFer. Decent NBA career, a gold medal in 86 that's not an olympic gold medal. He was never the best player on any of his teams. As a coach he might get in if he wins multiple titles but he is not even close to a HOFer as a player.

Someone must have not reminded you that it doesn't take much to be an NBA HOF'er. You don't strictly have to be a player or coach. Just someone who has accomplished a lot in the basketball world. Three point champion, relatively decent college career, FIBA champion, he will no doubt be a COTY for many years, and he will no doubt win a few more rings.. dude, this guy will accomplish so much in every facet of the NBA game. It doesn't matter how great he was as a player.. his coaching ability will skyrocket him into the HOF. Just look at who are already in the HOF.. it doesn't take much, really.

Hawkeye15
04-07-2016, 01:32 PM

you left out that he was a 2 time All American as a collegiate.

Do people still not get how the HO?F works in basketball?

Vincent
04-07-2016, 01:36 PM
are you aware it's the Basketball HOF? He was a stud in college, won a gold medal, had a sustainable NBA career, and has now won a championship as a head coach.

That is literally an automatic shoe-in to the Basketball HOF.

Also to include in that list,

Fantastic commentator (which people get into the hall for), NBA Executive (GM for the Suns), and incredibly media friendly and savvy (might win him some votes).

ewing
04-07-2016, 01:37 PM
you left out that he was a 2 time All American as a collegiate.

Do people still not get how the HO?F works in basketball?
r
people get it. Sabonis' great international career matters. christian laettner's great college career matters. same with Ralph Sampson. Kerr has never been great anywhere. He was a good college player and bit piece in the NBA. He has been a head coach for under 2 seasons. Kerr has not had a HOF career. if he goes on to be an all time coach OK but that is the only way he is getting in

Hawkeye15
04-07-2016, 01:38 PM
r
people get it. Sabonis' great international career matters. christian laettner's great college career matters. same with Ralph Sampson. Kerr has never been great anywhere. He was a good college and bit piece in the NBA. He has been a head coach for under 2 seasons. Kerr has not had a HOF career. if he goes on to be an all time coach OK but that is the only way he is getting in

go look at who is in. You will be shocked at how low the standards are

ewing
04-07-2016, 01:46 PM
go look at who is in. You will be shocked at how low the standards are

went back to 2000 looking at each class. I don't see one player under 100 years old that didn't recognize has having a much better basketball career then Kerr and he only been a coach under 2 years.

http://www.nba.com/history/naismith-memorial-basketball-hall-of-fame-inductees/index.html

where are these Rich Bronson type players you are telling me get in?

JasonJohnHorn
04-07-2016, 01:50 PM
Rookie coach wins championship. Role player hits game winning, and championship winning shots on 5 teams.

Yeah.

As a player or coach though? As a coach... his resume is not long enough. As a player, not impressive individual stats outside of 3pt%. Together... yes.

PhillyFaninLA
04-07-2016, 01:57 PM
Would I vote for him, probably not....would have any issue with him getting in, certainly not.

Big Zo
04-07-2016, 01:59 PM
I demand that Bimbo Coles be inducted!

Hawkeye15
04-07-2016, 02:05 PM
went back to 2000 looking at each class. I don't see one player under 100 years old that didn't recognize has having a much better basketball career then Kerr and he only been a coach under 2 years.

http://www.nba.com/history/naismith-memorial-basketball-hall-of-fame-inductees/index.html

where are these Rich Bronson type players you are telling get in?

I mean, Reggie Miller got in dude.....says it all

ewing
04-07-2016, 02:11 PM

if they hadn't lost in 88 Olympics i'd think he's a shoe in

valade16
04-07-2016, 02:15 PM
He's been a Collegiate player, NBA player, Head Coach, TV analyst and a General Manager. That is quite the varied career.

ewing
04-07-2016, 02:42 PM
He's been a Collegiate player, NBA player, Head Coach, TV analyst and a General Manager. That is quite the varied career.

So?

ewing
04-07-2016, 02:44 PM
Danning Manning not even in the Hall? How about we get to Danny Ferry at least before we start putting in the Steve Kerrs

FlashBolt
04-07-2016, 02:45 PM
PSD should force people to learn to read the OPENING POST. We are taking into account that Steve Kerr will continue being a coach of this dominant Warriors until his career ends. If he can do that, there is a 100% chance he gets in... because there is no way he won't win more rings and COTY and God knows what other record he will break with that team. So this is an easy yes... some of you can't seem to comprehend that.

DarkKnight
04-07-2016, 02:53 PM

I'd put him in for the tv analyst alone

NOT

ewing
04-07-2016, 03:07 PM
Bring back "NOT" i like it, psych!

HeartOfStarks
04-07-2016, 03:27 PM

This got me laughin

beasted86
04-07-2016, 03:37 PM
Do people realize you are put into the HOF in separate categories and it's not rolled into one?

He's not good enough as a player
He's not good enough as a coach (yet)
He's not good enough as a contributor
He's not good enough as an analyst/play-by-play/media

Easily, so easily the answer is no.

DboneG
04-07-2016, 04:11 PM
PSD should force people to learn to read the OPENING POST. We are taking into account that Steve Kerr will continue being a coach of this dominant Warriors until his career ends. If he can do that, there is a 100% chance he gets in... because there is no way he won't win more rings and COTY and God knows what other record he will break with that team. So this is an easy yes... some of you can't seem to comprehend that.

Why even bring Steve Kerr name up then?!! He may get fired over the summer. Luke Walton may take his place on the bench. Only thing I know about Steve Kerr is: he had obvious inside connections to get the Warriors coaching job. Open jump shot shooter only, and he got punched in practice by MJ. THAT'S ABOUT IT!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naUt6FMsS6M

effen5
04-07-2016, 04:27 PM
Why even bring Steve Kerr name up then?!! He may get fired over the summer. Luke Walton may take his place on the bench. Only thing I know about Steve Kerr is: he had obvious inside connections to get the Warriors coaching job. Open jump shot shooter only, and he got punched in practice by MJ. THAT'S ABOUT IT!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naUt6FMsS6M

Do you know why he got punched by MJ? He got under his skin during practice - not many people can do that.

“I took exception to something he said,” Kerr says. “So I was talking back and I don’t think Michael appreciated that ... and we got in the lane and he gave me a forearm shiver to the chest and I pushed him back. And next thing you know, our teammates were pulling him off of me.”

“It was a totally different relationship from that point on,” Kerr says.

There was mutual respect, with Kerr feeling that Jordan trusted him on the court more in important situations. In Jackson’s new book, "Eleven Rings," he says the punch was a wake-up call for Jordan and a turning point for the championship-winning 1995-96 Bulls who won 72 regular-season games, a record that will likely never be broken. Who knows what the wake-up call would have been if the fight never took place? Who knows if there even would have been one?

IKnowHoops
04-07-2016, 10:40 PM
LOL no! Kerr may get into the hall of fame as a coach, but he does not deserve to get in there as a player.

FlashBolt
04-08-2016, 12:01 PM
LOL no! Kerr may get into the hall of fame as a coach, but he does not deserve to get in there as a player.

Except the question assumes that Kerr will continue his dominance as the coach of the GSW. So based on that assumption, he will undoubtedly be in the HOF.

mrblisterdundee
04-08-2016, 07:47 PM

And he'll win at least several more championships as a coach, considering he's only 50.

AllBall
04-09-2016, 11:17 PM
He's definitely on pace to get in as a coach.

nastynice
04-10-2016, 01:33 AM
He'd need multiple rings as a coach, kinda borderline dynasty status or something. We only got one so far, long way to go still.

Vinny642
04-11-2016, 12:13 AM
no, he isn't close.

He is actually pretty close

ewing
04-11-2016, 10:04 AM
He is actually pretty close

no he's not

Scoots
04-11-2016, 06:57 PM
You can get into the HOF as a GM and as a game announcer too.

He's done every job at a high level.

There is a reasonable chance but he's got to stick around into his 60s.