PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan Third player to reach 1000 reg. seasons wins

JasonJohnHorn
04-07-2016, 02:53 AM
TD is the third player to reach 1000 regular seasons wins, and has the most wins with one team.

Kareem is obviously at the top of the list with 1074; The Cheif Splief Robert Parish is second with 1014.

Two more seasons and TD has the overall record, AND beat Kobe's most seasons with one team record.

Think he'll hang on for that?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15144112/tim-duncan-becomes-3rd-player-nba-history-win-1000-games

Hawkeye15
04-07-2016, 10:43 AM
these types of merits represent the team/FO more than the individual player.

kdspurman
04-07-2016, 11:13 AM
Even more impressive, he's the first ever to get 1000 with 1 team. A record that is probably pretty safe

Hawkeye15
04-07-2016, 11:15 AM
Even more impressive, he's the first ever to get 1000 with 1 team. A record that is probably pretty safe

considering the Spurs have been the best run team in modern sports history potentially, I agree.

JasonJohnHorn
04-07-2016, 12:35 PM
these types of merits represent the team/FO more than the individual player.

Had the Spurs got Iverson, or T-Mac, do you think they would have been able to build a 20-year contender around them? Not likely.

Duncan, and Robinson before him, set the standard. Without the players with players, you can't do what the Spurs have done. Pop would have been fired before 2003 with Duncan's support, and came close to it one year when they were off to a rough start.

I think a guy like Garnett, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Grant Hill and Pau Gasol would have laid a similar foundation were they paired up with a great like Robinson, and had a solid GM bringing in talent like Parker and Manu.... but most guys wouldn't.

Hawkeye15
04-07-2016, 04:12 PM
Had the Spurs got Iverson, or T-Mac, do you think they would have been able to build a 20-year contender around them? Not likely.

Duncan, and Robinson before him, set the standard. Without the players with players, you can't do what the Spurs have done. Pop would have been fired before 2003 with Duncan's support, and came close to it one year when they were off to a rough start.

I think a guy like Garnett, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Grant Hill and Pau Gasol would have laid a similar foundation were they paired up with a great like Robinson, and had a solid GM bringing in talent like Parker and Manu.... but most guys wouldn't.

I am only saying, give Duncan even a couple of years with a crappy team, and he is nowhere near this number. He has benefited from the Spurs FO just like they benefited from him.

Vinylman
04-07-2016, 06:32 PM

might sound weird but that actually makes it less impressive and gives more credence to Coach and the FO

just sayin

JasonJohnHorn
04-07-2016, 06:40 PM
I am only saying, give Duncan even a couple of years with a crappy team, and he is nowhere near this number. He has benefited from the Spurs FO just like they benefited from him.

It is certainly reciprocal, and as we've seen with the likes of Jerry West, a guy in the front office can work wonders.

But you say, give Duncan a couple of years on a crappy team and he'd be nowhere near this? Kareem had 20 seasons to Duncan's 19, and he's only 74 wins a head of him, or two trips to the lottery. And keep in mind, that Kareem's lowest win total seasons was 40, and Duncan had a season where his team only got 37 wins because of a lock-out shortened season, and another where he only got 50 because of another lock-out shortened season; so he's taken two hits during winning seasons. The fact that he is so close to KAJ despite playing in two lock-out seasons is amazing.

So yeah... you give him a couple of lottery seasons, but make them FULL seasons instead of lock out seasons, he'd likely still be close to this. This number actually took a hit because of two lock outs.

I agree that he's lucky that he's got a good front office, but the front office is also very fortunate to have him because he has been a bedrock for them to build on. Had he jumped ship to Orlando with T-Mac and Grant Hill, even if they picked up Manu and Parker and got a couple high picks, like Elton Brand or Kenyon Martin, or Amar'e, they would have struggled to put a contender together.

This is a two-way street for sure. But Duncan deserves a lot of credit for making it possible for this team to bring in talent and keep talent. I mean, look at Kobe: he drove away Howard, took a huge pay cheque, scared off free agents last summer. And what? The team has had it worse two seasons ever. Mean while Duncan it letting other guys share the glory, taking pay cuts to open up cap space to keep and sign players, and is still contributing on the court.

Yes, basketball is a TEAM sport, and yes, luck has something to do with it (staying healthy, drafting the right guys), but there is something to be said about what he's done, and there is an accomplishment on an individual level here that is stellar.

No need to dismiss it by saying stuff like: "these types of merits represent the team/FO more than the individual player."

Jordan's six rings were a team/FO accomplishment as well, but nobody's denying Jordan's greatness or dismissing his contribution to those accomplishments by saying: "That's more of a team/FO thing."

JasonJohnHorn
04-07-2016, 06:50 PM
might sound weird but that actually makes it less impressive and gives more credence to Coach and the FO

just sayin

Yeah... that's why Jordan's rings don't mean anything, because everybody know that he couldn't win in Washington, and therefore they were the result of PJax and the Bulls front office.

Why do people try to p!$$ all over what Duncan does? Does he have to win a dunk contest, jump ship, get coaches fired, and chase fellow all-stars out of his city for people to think he's accomplished something rare ana amazing?

Vinylman
04-07-2016, 06:57 PM
Yeah... that's why Jordan's rings don't mean anything, because everybody know that he couldn't win in Washington, and therefore they were the result of PJax and the Bulls front office.

Why do people try to p!$$ all over what Duncan does? Does he have to win a dunk contest, jump ship, get coaches fired, and chase fellow all-stars out of his city for people to think he's accomplished something rare ana amazing?

who pissed on Duncan? I have never posted a negative thing on this board about him...

I don't agree with kdspurman... no big deal

got to love the hostile PSD OPers

kdspurman
04-07-2016, 06:58 PM

just sayin

That's just crazy talk haha. Less impressive?? Smh...

Both sides deserve credit, but Tim absolutely deserves more of it. He's the foundation for which everything they've done the last 18 years or so.

There's no way to negatively twist what I said. Tim winning 1000 reg season games with 1 team is an amazing record, and 1 that could never be broken.

JasonJohnHorn
04-07-2016, 07:14 PM
who pissed on Duncan? I have never posted a negative thing on this board about him...

I don't agree with kdspurman... no big deal

got to love the hostile PSD OPers

You said it's less impressive because he did it with the same team.

The is diminishing the achievement.

JasonJohnHorn
04-07-2016, 07:15 PM
That's just crazy talk haha. Less impressive?? Smh...

Both sides deserve credit, but Tim absolutely deserves more of it. He's the foundation for which everything they've done the last 18 years or so.

There's no way to negatively twist what I said. Tim winning 1000 reg season games with 1 team is an amazing record, and 1 that could never be broken.

Apparently it's more impressive is players jump from one team to a superteam, and then back to another super team, because being the corner stone from a franchise is less impressive than somebody who jumps around from one super team to another?

phantasyyy
04-07-2016, 07:30 PM
I mean he's still effective in the minutes he does play, and this Spurs roster still needs his services as he is the only "true" Center on the team.. unless you're counting Boban who is still raw.

It all just depends on his desire to continue and compete, but I think his competitive side wants to wing that 6th ring and get 1 more than his contemporary in Kobe :D. All the more reason to return if they do get the chip this year and he can go for the 7th- with the opportunity to finally repeat!!

His 1000 with one team is unbreakable, its almost unheard of to play your entire career with one team nowadays with all the uncertainty in most front offices. I mean even Pierce didn't get to end his career with the Celtics. Also you'd have to be a perennial playoff contender for two decades to even have the conversation.

Jeffy25
04-07-2016, 08:19 PM
longevity on great teams.

Not so much an individual accomplishment as it is that he played forever.

Duncan did as much for the Spurs as the Spurs did for him.

kdspurman
04-07-2016, 08:48 PM
Apparently it's more impressive is players jump from one team to a superteam, and then back to another super team, because being the corner stone from a franchise is less impressive than somebody who jumps around from one super team to another?

People are entitled to their own opinions and stuff... but yea, that one is a real head scratcher haha

JasonJohnHorn
04-07-2016, 09:16 PM
longevity on great teams.

Not so much an individual accomplishment as it is that he played forever.

Duncan did as much for the Spurs as the Spurs did for him.

I know, right? I mean.... it's like when people say: Oh, Jordan won 6 rings. But they don't say: Look, the Bulls did as much for Jordan as Jordan did for the Bulls. If it wasn't for Jerry Krause bringing in Pippen, Grant, Rodman and PJax, Jordan wouldn't have six rings.

Look.. we know it is a team sport. Why do people take this tone with Duncan and not with guys like Magic, Kareem, Bird, and Jordan?

Fan: Duncan accomplished something rare and amazing. Let's appreciated it.
PSDer: Meh. His team's done as much for him as he has for them.

Vinylman
04-08-2016, 12:43 PM
People are entitled to their own opinions and stuff... but yea, that one is a real head scratcher haha

yeah... that kareem and Robert parrish jumped to a bunch of super teams

btw... Duncan winning 1000 games with the same team is a great accomplishment... whether that is more impressive than Kareems RECORD is debatable... for me the stability of one coach and one team for your entire career made it easier versus kareem switching teams and having multiple coaches and different ownership groups.

Of course that makes me a Duncan Hater