PDA

View Full Version : I love Curry, but I don't get why his ball handling is ranked as high as it is

NetsPaint
04-06-2016, 09:27 PM
He's my current favorite player to watch in the league, possibly the best shooter of all-time, excellent at passing and getting his teammates involved, and is an above average ball handler, but I don't understand why anyone would put him as the best ball handler in the league. Part of me thinking he's not is because of that loose handle he has, and it works a lot of time, but it doesn't seem like he can maneuver his way with his ball handling as much as some other players. I think Kyrie and Chris Paul are clearly better ball handlers, and even the few times I see Kemba Walker it seems like his handles are better. Is his handles better than Wade? Rose? Again, he's an above average ball handler, which is part of the reason why he's such an amazing player, him being able to create his own shot and fast.

Where do you rank him as a ball handler? Why?

KG2TB
04-06-2016, 10:00 PM
Really, it's just a matter of opinion who has the better handle between Kyrie, Paul, and Curry. I would say Curry is definitely a better ball handler than Rose and I'd for sure put him over Wade too. Personally, I would rank him #1 but I have no problem with anyone who prefers Kyrie or Paul's handle.

europagnpilgrim
04-06-2016, 10:46 PM
Its because of his pre game warmup ritual

Imagine if guys in the past like Zeke or The Answer did that for fans pre game, classic

he does work hard on his handle, which I highly respect since you have to work on weaknesses of your game since we know he has a pure stroke in spades

but Irving and CP3 have a better natural handle and its not even close

JasonJohnHorn
04-07-2016, 12:04 AM
I think is has something to do with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ_MUhxI-cM

And this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brgtWqk_DoE

And this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxDdv5ZAYks

And this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBs1hi4VZCs

He can pass, but he finds the best option first, which is usually him taking a 3.

His assist to turnover ratio is decent, but even better when you consider the number of plays he shoots on as well. Look at points generate-to-turnover ratio (if anybody keep track of that) and I'm sure Curry's numbers will be exceptionally high.

Scoots
04-07-2016, 12:25 AM
Part of the loose handle is that he will throw the ball into space and run to it. Sometimes it doesn't work.

DboneG
04-07-2016, 11:02 AM
Curry is a great ball player, but he don't have the ball handling skills of a Kyrie Irving or Jamal"J Crossover" Crawford. Period! This is part of the NBA hype machine going full blast....promoting guys like Kawhi Leonard and Step Curry full tilt.

Steph Curry maybe broke a guy down with ball handling skills...that I seen like 3 times.
Kyrie, Jamal Crawford, John Wall, Chris Paul does this almost every other night.

Real break yo ankles ball handlers...goes something like this:

1. Kyrie Irving
2. Jamal "J Crossover" Crawford
3. Chris Paul
4. John Wall
5. Kemba Walker
6. Rajon Rondo
7. James Harden
8. Steph Curry
9. Isaiah Thomas
10. Ty Lawson

Mike Conley...this guy has some stuff but, plays within the parameters of the offense, and don't do a ton of one-on-one.

Ish Smith..they have the reins on this guy. If let loose and given the green light. You would see some amazing things from this guy. He can break your ankles.

Derrick Rose...we are not talking past. But this guy would be way up there if he was playing like the days of old. I think I saw Derrick break a guy down twice this year, he can get by you any time! The Bulls were looking for Derrick to do this every night. He can't.

DboneG
04-07-2016, 11:08 AM
Part of the reason Curry don't cross over as much is that he has bad ankles himself. You can see the special braces he wear inside of his shoes. To do a sudden stop and go in the opposite direction is putting a ton of pressure on your knees and ankles. This is the reason why Derrick Rose is not doing a ton of cross-over stuff.

ewing
04-07-2016, 11:16 AM
He has a really good handle but i agree that it is a little overrated. Still, he gets a lot more out of his handle then most. Crossing a guy up and hitting a fall back 35 footer will always look cool but the NBA only has one guy that consistently hits that shot. He also makes guys play him tight as ****. fancy dribbling doesn't look so cool when the D is just waiting on you.

Hawkeye15
04-07-2016, 11:21 AM
He is an excellent ball handler, but for sure takes risks

ewing
04-07-2016, 11:41 AM
He is an excellent ball handler, but for sure takes risks

that's seems to be part of the GS identity they spread you super thin and then play really lose. Looking at the results i don't think the negatives that come from it can be held against them