PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox (1-0) at Indians (0-1)

RedSoxtober
04-06-2016, 10:47 AM
Game 2: Buchholz vs Carrasco
Game 3: Kelly vs Salazar

ruckus16969
04-06-2016, 04:29 PM
It would be nice to start the season with a sweep

RedSoxtober
04-06-2016, 04:51 PM
TBH, I'd be happy with a 2-1 split in our favor with three SP looking like they belong at the front half of a contender's rotation. Given the way many were salivating over CLE pitching this offseason, that would be pretty encouraging.

-Lavigne43-
04-06-2016, 06:21 PM
Can't say I have confidence in any of our SP after Price. Never know what you are going to get from any of them.

Bo Sox Fan
04-06-2016, 07:07 PM
For the unthteenth time, should have picked up a legitimate #2 instead of giving Buchholz (entering his 10th season) his 10th kick at the can to prove himself as a TORP. That idea is dead, has been for some years now.

His wife clearly has been, and still is blowing someone in upper management/ownership.

ruckus16969
04-06-2016, 07:19 PM
Clay seems to be getting shelled. Let's hope he can settle in here

Soxfan85
04-06-2016, 08:17 PM
Something I never saw is JF pulling his SP 4 ins in. He would always keep them on a long leash now we have Dombrowski has JF on a short leash so now JF has a short leash on his players. Lets see if this continues tomorrow when Porcello plays and doesn't do well

papipapsmanny
04-06-2016, 08:17 PM
How do people still overreact to one game in April... or the results in the whole month of April?

-Lavigne43-
04-06-2016, 08:18 PM
I'm just happy that we will only see Clay start around ten more games in his career for the Red Sox.

-Lavigne43-
04-06-2016, 08:20 PM
David Ortiz is amazing. He might end up retiring without any real decline in performance

-Lavigne43-
04-06-2016, 08:24 PM
How do people still overreact to one game in April... or the results in the whole month of April?

Everyone's just sick of Clay. Relying heavily on him as a key part of the rotation has been a major reason for our SP struggles. There's valid concern over our 2-5 spots in the rotation.

-Lavigne43-
04-06-2016, 08:45 PM
What are you doing Farell?

Bo Sox Fan
04-06-2016, 08:53 PM
I thought Noe Ramirez, Robbie Ross and the rest of those scrubs from last year would be outright released in favour of guys like Barnes, Escobar etc.. but I guess not. Here we go again blowing leads...

Petertherock
04-06-2016, 09:18 PM
So our pitching rotation is Price and pray for rain!

Soxfan85
04-06-2016, 09:55 PM
Ontop of Clay suck*ng is now I have to listen to O'Brien. He is god awful

Green_Monster
04-06-2016, 09:57 PM
It's one game, let's calm down. We're not going to win too many games while giving up 7 runs, though. Let's hope Buchholz isn't going to be terrible this whole year. A good year from him would be huge.

Petertherock
04-07-2016, 01:21 AM
There's a rumor that KC is interested in Sucky Bucky (Buchholz if anyone didn't know) I say we do it...get a used ball bag for him but just get him out of here.

ManRam
04-07-2016, 10:07 AM
Yeah, I'm gonna be patient with Clay. He got a little cutesy with his slow stuff and he wasn't locating his fastball. His velocity seemed to be OK (I could look it up).

I did appreciate Pete Abe's tweet: "David Price comes back in only four more days!".

Nice to see the Large Father dong in both games. Don't leave us!!

celticsman2009
04-07-2016, 10:58 AM
Ontop of Clay suck*ng is now I have to listen to O'Brien. He is god awful

This is simply not true. Dave O'Brien is one of the best in the sport, maybe across all sports. I loved Orsillo too, but I welcome change and O'Brien is fantastic. Wish it was O'Brien and Eck though.

ManRam
04-07-2016, 12:02 PM
I've listened to a lot more Sox games over the past half-decade than watched, so I'm plenty accustomed to O'Brien. I like him. He's easy to listen to. I'm upset Don is gone, but O'Brien is a worthy successor. They're a bit different in style, a bit less flair, but whatever. He's good at his job.

I get being upset that Don is gone, but I pulled up a Herald article yesterday and the comments were just relentless against O'Brien. Calling him Brutus. Saying he has no right to even say Don's name. **** like that. O'Brien didn't get rid of Don, and I think it's childish that people have already dug O'Brien's grave because of how mad they were last August (I was bummed too). I almost feel bad for him at this point. But I think he'll win people over in due time.

I liked what he said to open the Opening Day broadcast, and he and Jerry already seem good to go.

Station 13
04-07-2016, 12:16 PM
Buchholz excused himself because of the 12 minute delay. Screw him.

Bo Sox Fan
04-07-2016, 03:14 PM
I'm quite impressed with the early power this offence is producing 1-9. Outside of Ortiz I thought they'd just be pulling singles and slappin doubles around.

Joe Kelly your Cy Young award prediction is needed more so in '16 than '15. Go get em'

Green_Monster
04-07-2016, 03:53 PM
I'm quite impressed with the early power this offence is producing 1-9. Outside of Ortiz I thought they'd just be pulling singles and slappin doubles around.

Joe Kelly your Cy Young award prediction is needed more so in '16 than '15. Go get em'

This offense is going to be really good. There really isn't many weaknesses. I guess the two question marks would be the #8 and #9 guys. Swihart has made good contact, and Bradley is a more than fine as the #9 guy.

RedSoxtober
04-07-2016, 04:04 PM
This has always been the worst thing about Clay: when he sucks then he NEVER takes responsibility for it. Such a waste of physical gifts.

I thought Noe Ramirez, Robbie Ross and the rest of those scrubs from last year would be outright released in favour of guys like Barnes, Escobar etc.. but I guess not. Here we go again blowing leads...

Sigh, this is a sad repeat of confirmation bias. You'll only see/note things that align with your preconceived notions. I suspect that if Ramirez had skated through unscathed then you would never have mentioned your "expectations" (which, interestingly enough, I don't recall any mention of but w/e).

So, let's check out the "scrubs" that you wanted gone.

Noe Ramirez finished with a 4.15ERA with 13.0IP/13K/7BB. BB/9 is not good but the 9.0K/9 is obviously the reason why you give the guy a chance. Oh, yeah, it's also worth pointing out that most of the negative results occurred in his first couple of spot callups around the ASG (5IP/9R/3ER/3BB/2HR). The defense gave up a lot of extra outs during those outings. As a SEP callup he went 8.0IP/3R/3ER/4BB/11K/1HR. Pretty respectable numbers.

Robbie Ross: 3.86ERA, 60.2IP/53K/20BB. Seriously, what's not to like with those numbers from a MR? Oh, and don't forget he's more of a LOOGY so the .224/.284/.365 to LHB is noteworthy as well.

What about the guys that should be there? Well, Barnes made it as you'd hoped. Escobar? Maybe the Sox weren't thrilled with his 5.07ERA at PAW or the 4.3K/9... which was actually WORSE than his 4.5BB/9. I'll take the Sox' picks.

ManRam
04-07-2016, 04:35 PM

That's a lazy tabloid-esque conclusion. He mentioned it, but overall he seemed pretty perceptive as to what really went wrong. He talked a lot about the specifics of what actually went wrong.

“Most of it was fastball location. I threw some good offspeed pitches for first pitches and they had some good takes with a team that you think will go out there and swing early. I tried to get them to mishit some balls on changeups and curves early in the count. There were pitches that I wanted to throw that were balls where I usually get weak contact and some swings and misses, but they didn’t offer at them. It left me behind on the count for the most part and I had to throw strikes with the fastball that I wasn’t commanding all that well. That’s how it goes.”

The were a few other minutes of actual pitching-related problems he ran into, specifically how Santana killed him.

I think this is OK given the rest of the context :shrug:

“It was a little awkward with the game time delayed,” he said. “Other than the first inning, I felt pretty good. I had a couple of guys on and got out of a couple of jams. That first inning is what stands out. Take that away and we have a lot better chance of winning.”

He's not wrong. After that first inning he was OK. Should we just ignore it? Nah. Did he say "eh, the delay happened so don't worry about anything and I was fine"? Not at all.

If in the next 3-4 starts it's more of the same I'll start worrying or maybe criticizing him for the minutia like this. But not now.

Bo Sox Fan
04-07-2016, 04:55 PM
This has always been the worst thing about Clay: when he sucks then he NEVER takes responsibility for it. Such a waste of physical gifts.

Sigh, this is a sad repeat of confirmation bias. You'll only see/note things that align with your preconceived notions. I suspect that if Ramirez had skated through unscathed then you would never have mentioned your "expectations" (which, interestingly enough, I don't recall any mention of but w/e).

So, let's check out the "scrubs" that you wanted gone.

Noe Ramirez finished with a 4.15ERA with 13.0IP/13K/7BB. BB/9 is not good but the 9.0K/9 is obviously the reason why you give the guy a chance. Oh, yeah, it's also worth pointing out that most of the negative results occurred in his first couple of spot callups around the ASG (5IP/9R/3ER/3BB/2HR). The defense gave up a lot of extra outs during those outings. As a SEP callup he went 8.0IP/3R/3ER/4BB/11K/1HR. Pretty respectable numbers.

Robbie Ross: 3.86ERA, 60.2IP/53K/20BB. Seriously, what's not to like with those numbers from a MR? Oh, and don't forget he's more of a LOOGY so the .224/.284/.365 to LHB is noteworthy as well.

What about the guys that should be there? Well, Barnes made it as you'd hoped. Escobar? Maybe the Sox weren't thrilled with his 5.07ERA at PAW or the 4.3K/9... which was actually WORSE than his 4.5BB/9. I'll take the Sox' picks.

So you'd rather see Noe & Ross come into the game to protect a 1 run lead and bring in Barnes after the fact when the scrubs blow it first? Rather than bringing in Barnes right off the hop since he's been lights out all spring?

But ok. Ramirez and Ross are a nice bridge to Koji and Kimbrel. That's one loss on the manager this season. Team should be 2-0.

RedSoxtober
04-08-2016, 09:55 AM
So you'd rather see Noe & Ross come into the game to protect a 1 run lead and bring in Barnes after the fact when the scrubs blow it first? Rather than bringing in Barnes right off the hop since he's been lights out all spring?

But ok. Ramirez and Ross are a nice bridge to Koji and Kimbrel. That's one loss on the manager this season. Team should be 2-0.

In the fifth inning? No, I would rather NOT see Barnes in the fifth inning even when he's been lights out all spring.

And you've completely obliterated the point here. You suggested that Ramirez and Ross should have been cut for guys like Barnes and Escobar. The fact is that (a) they did not prevent Barnes from making the roster and (b) they each have a legit claim to be a part of a MLB bullpen. Certainly they need to be used within their strengths (e.g., Ross primarily vs LHB and Noe just going 1IP) but that's VERY different from suggesting they should have been cut.

BTW, does it matter that the 1 run lead that they needed to protect... didn't take place until AFTER they started pitching? Ramirez, at least, entered the game with the Sox trailing 5-2. Even though he got out of the fifth with only 7 pitches I would have liked to have gone to someone else for the 6th -- maybe Barnes for the 6th and 7th? Or that it was Taz that gave up the go-ahead HR?

Oh, and what about Escobar and that ERA north of 5.00 making the roster?

I don't have a problem with questioning JF's use of the BP at all (it's not a strength of his). But, again, that's very different from questioning whether guys you didn't care for even have a place on the roster

Station 13
04-08-2016, 01:47 PM
He's not wrong. After that first inning he was OK. Should we just ignore it? Nah. Did he say "eh, the delay happened so don't worry about anything and I was fine"? Not at all.

If in the next 3-4 starts it's more of the same I'll start worrying or maybe criticizing him for the minutia like this. But not now.

He was not okay after the 1st. He left the team in a 4-0 hole. He doesn't seems to get it, never have, NEVER will.

Then he ran his pitch count to 94 after 4 inning. The bullpen cannot be stressed like that. He has to take into account the fact he left them in an impossible situation. To dig out the hole and to eat the innings he was unable to provide.
I'm so tired of having to watch it over and over.

Station 13
04-08-2016, 02:02 PM

I thought once they got a lead, Barnes should been in to the game. Then sets up the rest of the bullpen. A tie game late usually comes down to a single run, so preserving the 1 run lead is crucial. Barnes has better stuff and more MLB experience over No Ramirez.

The fact they claw back after Buchholz left them dead speaks volume to this team. Now let's go win game #3 tonight.

RedSoxtober
04-08-2016, 02:48 PM
Buchholz' pitch count by inning:

1: 29 (4R, 3H, BB)
2: 27 (1R, 2H, BB)
3: 19 (0R, 1H)
4: 14
5: 5 (BB, no outs recorded)

It really doesn't look like he settled down after the first inning. The second inning was nearly as damaging as the first and the combination of the two easily cost him another inning of work.