PDA

View Full Version : Scottie Pippen says 1995-96 Bulls would sweep Warriors

Sportsguy9695
04-03-2016, 05:05 PM
The Golden State Warriors are closing in on breaking the NBA's all-time record for most victories in a single season, set by the Chicago Bulls in 1995-96.

But Hall of Famer Scottie Pippen evidently doesn't think Golden State would match up well with his record-setting Chicago squad, saying in a recent interview that the 1995-96 Bulls would sweep the Warriors in a hypothetical series between the teams.

"Bulls in four [games]," Pippen said during an interview at an AT&T event in Houston.

Source: ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15123546/scottie-pippen-predicts-1995-96-chicago-bulls-sweep-golden-state-warriors)

JAZZNC
04-03-2016, 05:56 PM
And in other news Peter Griffin says Family Guy is better than the Simpsons.

What did you expect from Pippen, an unbiased assessment of the two teams??

Chronz
04-03-2016, 05:58 PM
Definitely not biased. I must've forgot that year they swept through the playoffs.

Shlumpledink
04-03-2016, 06:53 PM
This just in, former players picking their era over any other era. Never thought I'd see the day.

KG2TB
04-03-2016, 07:05 PM
The Bulls never swept any finals opponent.

Heediot
04-03-2016, 07:58 PM
I don't think they sweep. They would probably take it in 6-7 with todays rules. With the rules back in 95 I think they take it in 5. That Bulls team could flourish in both eras the way that team was constructed. I don't think the Warriors would be the same dominant team with the rules back then.

In today's league, 3 of the top guys are skinny as heck. Curry, Durant, and AD. Back in Jordan's day, skinny *** Reggie wasn't even top 10. KG didn't dominate until after certain rule changes in the early millennium.

JasonJohnHorn
04-03-2016, 11:06 PM
It depends on which generation's rules they used. If I remember, the 3-pt line had been brought in that season; were the Bulls using today's 3pt line, they'd be less effective, no doubt.

It's be a great series. It would be an anomaly if either team could win 4 straight against the other. I'd be shocked if the series didn't go 6 games at least.

Dade County
04-03-2016, 11:53 PM
What people dont understand about the hole Jordan being too much for a team to defend in todays game, is that he was basically thee player the mostly got the super star foul call.

But people not factoring in that today's players are getting the same calls Jordan did; but its just more fair now because more players are getting the same calls.

So really Jordan would have to be the one that would have to adjust, or he called end up fouling out.

Phantom Dreamer
04-03-2016, 11:54 PM
Chauncey Billups said the Bulls would sweep with '96 rules.

pacofunk64
04-04-2016, 12:04 AM
Lets have this discussion once the season is over and if they win it all. Like most have said already it really depends on the rules. The Bulls would win it with the old rules. I still think they would win it today but they cant be as physical.

Bostonjorge
04-04-2016, 02:36 AM
I don't think the Warriors are unbeatable but the Bulls are a perfect matchup. Warriors can go small and Bulls can't make them pay for it. Warriors strength on defense is perimeter defense. Now imagine, with the old rules, letting green hold Jordan on D and letting green shot 3's on top of the key. I just can't see the Bulls winning. Curry hitting regular 3's of today but back then looking like its from the parking lot. It's demoralizing.

hidalgo
04-04-2016, 03:55 AM
the Bulls would beat them for sure. they actually played perimeter defense(insane perimeter D) unlike any team today. Klay and Stef would Struggle scoring against MJ & Scottie, & Ron Harper could guard whoever as well. they could also go small if need be with Kukoc & Rodman instead of Rodman & longley. with 1996 rules the bulls win in 4 or 5. today's wuss rules the bulls take it in 6

Phantom Dreamer
04-04-2016, 04:13 AM
It's no knock on the Warriors to say that the 1995-96 Bulls team would beat them. One of the laziest arguments for the Warriors is that today's players are bigger, stronger faster. Their best player is 6'3" 180, hardly the physical specimen.

Slug3
04-05-2016, 03:56 PM
I don't really think the Warriors would beat the Bulls, but the Bulls wouldn't sweep them like Pippen thinks.

I wish some of these older players would stop being so insecure and actually show at least a little respect to this generation of Ball players. I get they were great back in the day, but some of the players we have now and some recent teams were pretty great as well.

TrueFan420
04-05-2016, 05:57 PM
It's no knock on the Warriors to say that the 1995-96 Bulls team would beat them. One of the laziest arguments for the Warriors is that today's players are bigger, stronger faster. Their best player is 6'3" 180, hardly the physical specimen.

And no one is making that argument in here.

effen5
04-05-2016, 06:10 PM
Bulls sweep - Jordan with 65pts -6asts -6reb

IBleedPurple
04-05-2016, 08:36 PM
the Bulls would beat them for sure. they actually played perimeter defense(insane perimeter D) unlike any team today. Klay and Stef would Struggle scoring against MJ & Scottie, & Ron Harper could guard whoever as well. they could also go small if need be with Kukoc & Rodman instead of Rodman & longley. with 1996 rules the bulls win in 4 or 5. today's wuss rules the bulls take it in 6This.

Avenged
04-05-2016, 08:49 PM
.......delete

McAllen Tx
04-05-2016, 09:50 PM
Aint too interested in MJ/Pippen vrs Klay/Curry thats MJ/Pippen easily.

Would love to see Rodman vrs Green. That would be classic.

Would like to see Longly vrs Bogut fist fight. That would be entertaining.

Slug3
04-05-2016, 10:27 PM
Bulls sweep - Jordan with 65pts -6asts -6reb

But I mean the Bulls have never swept anyone I the finals I believe. So why would they be able to sweep GS?

IBleedPurple
04-05-2016, 11:19 PM
Would like to see Longly vrs Bogut fist fight. That would be entertaining.This!

bgdreton
04-05-2016, 11:22 PM
Man the disrespect for the warriors is insane lol. I mean I don't think they could beat the Bulls but by no means do I feel they would be swept. Jordan would score 80 a game. Pippen would lock Curry. Rodman would grab 50 boards etc. The Bulls are an all time great but by no means would they wipe the floor.. honestly if anything the Bulls wouldn't be ready for this type of offense.. 6 or 7 games min

ombada
04-06-2016, 02:05 AM
I think with todays rules the GSW take it in 6 or 7. Lets be real here, Rodman would foul out, Pippen would come close, Jordan would have 3 or 4. Longley 5, The GSW would take so many trips to the line, they would barely have to play basketball.

Not only that but a flagrant foul today, may not have even been called in 96', let alone be called a common foul. Every time a defensive player, weather intentional or not, hits an offensive player on the head, its flagrant.

I dont think the 96' bulls would adjust well to todays rules, it was a different time.

Wade n Fade
04-06-2016, 02:14 AM
The Warriors are a fun team to watch and have amazing stats, but the matchup wouldn't be as good as it written on paper vs real life. The eras aren't too comparable either. One is a finnese shooting squad with a deeper bench vs a more physically imposing team that can out execute in the half court. The Bulls would have a huge coaching advantage too. I just cannot see an easy sweep with 20 ppg difference. The Warriors deserve credit for their excitement and newer brand of shooting, but they have to finish strong and repeat to even be in the proper conversation. Jordan's teams had more chemistry too since they won more titles together. It's not to say the Warriors don't have chemistry.

Saddletramp
04-06-2016, 04:14 AM
This convo again? Jeez, I don't know if it's just this place or that the NBA is just that boring these days.

JasonJohnHorn
04-06-2016, 08:54 AM
The season the Bulls won 72, the next best team in the conference was 60 games; the best team after that one 52. Right now, the Warriors are in a conferences with another team on pace to win 70 games, a team that has already eclipsed the 52-win mark, and a team (the Clippers) that has already won more game than the 4th seed that year with an MVP candidate out for over half the season.

the top four teams in the west this year (and keep in mind there are still several game left) have won 6 more games than the top 4 teams in the East that year.... and that total will only increase over the next 4 or 5 games.

That Bulls team this year would struggle to win 65 games in the current western conference.

The 72-win Bulls were AMAZING!!! One of the best teams ever. But right now, the league is seeing historical level of play from two teams, and standard championship level play from three other teams (Cavs, Clips and Thunder).

To think that it is still in the realm of possibility that there will be TWO 70-win teams this year, as well as a 60 win team. Unbelievable.

And the Bulls had the advantage of getting to play a couple expansion teams that year (Rap/Grizz).

I don't know why these retired guys need to $#!T all over the Warriors... but I do think it's funny that none of them are $#!TT!NG on the Spurs....

valade16
04-06-2016, 09:54 AM
The season the Bulls won 72, the next best team in the conference was 60 games; the best team after that one 52. Right now, the Warriors are in a conferences with another team on pace to win 70 games, a team that has already eclipsed the 52-win mark, and a team (the Clippers) that has already won more game than the 4th seed that year with an MVP candidate out for over half the season.

the top four teams in the west this year (and keep in mind there are still several game left) have won 6 more games than the top 4 teams in the East that year.... and that total will only increase over the next 4 or 5 games.

That Bulls team this year would struggle to win 65 games in the current western conference.

The 72-win Bulls were AMAZING!!! One of the best teams ever. But right now, the league is seeing historical level of play from two teams, and standard championship level play from three other teams (Cavs, Clips and Thunder).

To think that it is still in the realm of possibility that there will be TWO 70-win teams this year, as well as a 60 win team. Unbelievable.

And the Bulls had the advantage of getting to play a couple expansion teams that year (Rap/Grizz).

I don't know why these retired guys need to $#!T all over the Warriors... but I do think it's funny that none of them are $#!TT!NG on the Spurs....

This year has actually been as weak or weaker than 96 in historical terms.

First, the Clippers have actually played better without that MVP candidate Griffin (I believe they were 17-13 with him).

Second, the expansion Grizzlies won 15 games that season and the expansion Raptors won 21 games. The 76ers won 18 games that year as well. This year the 76ers have won 10 games, the Lakers 16, the Suns 20 and the Nets 21. Not only are this years bottom feeders worse by record, they are also worse by SRS. This year there are 4 teams with an SRS -6.00 or worse and in 96 there were 3.

Third, while true the very top of the West is better than the very top of the East in 96, the middle of the West is worse. 7 teams won 46 or more games in 96 in the West and only 4 are on pace to do that in the West this season. Additionally, there are only 6 teams with a positive SRS in the West this season and there were 9 in the East in 96.

The idea that the Bulls would have a tougher time in the West today is wrong, they may actually have had an easier time up till now. The Warriors have faced the Spurs twice, the Thunder 3 times and the Clippers 4 times. They also faced the Cavaliers and Raptors 2 times each. That is 13 games vs. .600% or better teams with 2 to go (15 total).

The Bulls in 96 faced the Magic 4 times, the Pacers 4 times, and the Spurs, Sonics, and Jazz 2 times each. That is 16 games total vs. teams with a .600% or better.

So the Bulls actually faced more top tier teams that season than the Warriors will this season, and as I said, there were also more teams with 46 wins that they faced as well. They also faced more teams with positive SRSs that season as well.

But beyond the numbers, it's pretty obvious the West just isn't as strong top to bottom as last season. The Rockets, Blazers, Grizzlies, Mavericks and Pelicans all got significantly worse. The only team that really got massively better was the Thunder thanks to a healthy Durant.

I'm not going to say it was easier for either the Bulls or the Warriors, but it wasn't significantly harder for either of them over the other. What they have both done is equally as impressive as the other.

effen5
04-06-2016, 10:21 AM
But I mean the Bulls have never swept anyone I the finals I believe. So why would they be able to sweep GS?

IMO - the 90s teams were far superior to teams today. I think a lot of teams in the 90s would be the GSW in a 7 game series including the Pacers, Rockets, Jazz, and Knicks. But thats only imo.

And you're right the Bulls haven't swept anyone in the finals but they've swept plenty of teams in the playoffs.

JasonJohnHorn
04-06-2016, 03:42 PM
This year has actually been as weak or weaker than 96 in historical terms.

First, the Clippers have actually played better without that MVP candidate Griffin (I believe they were 17-13 with him).

Second, the expansion Grizzlies won 15 games that season and the expansion Raptors won 21 games. The 76ers won 18 games that year as well. This year the 76ers have won 10 games, the Lakers 16, the Suns 20 and the Nets 21. Not only are this years bottom feeders worse by record, they are also worse by SRS. This year there are 4 teams with an SRS -6.00 or worse and in 96 there were 3.

Third, while true the very top of the West is better than the very top of the East in 96, the middle of the West is worse. 7 teams won 46 or more games in 96 in the West and only 4 are on pace to do that in the West this season. Additionally, there are only 6 teams with a positive SRS in the West this season and there were 9 in the East in 96.

The idea that the Bulls would have a tougher time in the West today is wrong, they may actually have had an easier time up till now. The Warriors have faced the Spurs twice, the Thunder 3 times and the Clippers 4 times. They also faced the Cavaliers and Raptors 2 times each. That is 13 games vs. .600% or better teams with 2 to go (15 total).

The Bulls in 96 faced the Magic 4 times, the Pacers 4 times, and the Spurs, Sonics, and Jazz 2 times each. That is 16 games total vs. teams with a .600% or better.

So the Bulls actually faced more top tier teams that season than the Warriors will this season, and as I said, there were also more teams with 46 wins that they faced as well. They also faced more teams with positive SRSs that season as well.

But beyond the numbers, it's pretty obvious the West just isn't as strong top to bottom as last season. The Rockets, Blazers, Grizzlies, Mavericks and Pelicans all got significantly worse. The only team that really got massively better was the Thunder thanks to a healthy Durant.

I'm not going to say it was easier for either the Bulls or the Warriors, but it wasn't significantly harder for either of them over the other. What they have both done is equally as impressive as the other.

Part of the reason the are few 46-win teams is because the Spurs and the Warriors are so good, and the Thunder would be a 60-win team in any other season. The Clippers would also be chasing 60 wins in most other seasons, were they healthy and not competing against the two teams with two of the best three records in the history of the game. As to their slow start, that was due in part to the fact that they had new pieces, and player the Warriors twice, as well as the Raptors, who have played very well all season.

You have to take into consideration more than just records, though. For example, the 3-point line was closer that season. If the Bulls were paying today, they'd be less effective in terms of scoring, plus they would have to extend their perimeter defense further, opening themselves up to more attacks.

Also, the Warriors have hit over 1000 3-pointers this season and are on pace to hit as many 3's as the top five 3pt shooters combined the season the Bulls won 72 (which were all inflated numbers because the line was brought in).

If you go back to before they brought the line in, the Warriors this season, have hit more 3's than the top 12 3pt shooters combined did back then. I hardly think that would be an easy thing to overcome for the Bulls. Their defense was simply not designed to address an offense like that.

The Bulls were amazing. But they would have had a harder time in the West this season. And the win totals of mid-level teams doesn't really impact things much. It's the elite teams that make a difference. If the next best team is 12 wins below you, and the next best team after that has 20 less wins, then the level of competition is lower in terms of who can compete with you.

For the Warriors, the next best team only has four fewer wins, while the team after that is almost close to the Warriors as the Magic was to the Bulls.

That is two teams that have a legit shot at beating them when they play each other. The Bulls only had one such team in their conference, and that is a HUGE difference.

For a 72-win team, there isn't much difference between going up against at 38 win team, and a 41-win team.

Great research and argument though. Kudos.

Stunner
04-06-2016, 03:49 PM

I think some people would argue that those teams the Bulls faced in the finals are better than this warriors team.

Stunner
04-06-2016, 03:51 PM
The 92 Bulls team is better than the 96 Bulls , if the 92 Bulls had the 96 schedule they would have won 75 -77 games .

JasonJohnHorn
04-06-2016, 03:53 PM
the Bulls would beat them for sure. they actually played perimeter defense(insane perimeter D) unlike any team today. Klay and Stef would Struggle scoring against MJ & Scottie, & Ron Harper could guard whoever as well. they could also go small if need be with Kukoc & Rodman instead of Rodman & longley. with 1996 rules the bulls win in 4 or 5. today's wuss rules the bulls take it in 6

The 3-pt line was in much closer back then, so teams set up closer to the basket, meaning the D didn't have to stretch out as far. If the Bulls had to defend today's 3-pt line, they'd have to spread their defense further.

Plus, back then, most guys who could hit the 3 didnt' create off the dribble or drive to the basket. Usually (not always), guys cut to the basket or created off the dribble, while other guys came of screens to hit 3's. That's what Jordan and Pippen were used to defending, and it is much easier to guard a guy who either has one skill set, or the other, because you guard them accordingly. When you have a guy like Curry, though, who can cross players up and break ankles as well as Iverson, but also happens to be the greatest 3-pt shooter ever, well that is a completely different monster.

Also, the Bulls usually only had to defend one or 2 three-point shooters. With the Warriors, they have to defend four at a time. Their defense NEVER faced a team like that, so there would be a huge need for adjustments.

Rodman was great, but put him on Green, and he'd struggle. Rodman's D wasn't as good with the Bulls as it was on the Pistons; he focused more on rebounding (though he was still an elite defender). If you have him having to come out to defend a ball handler like Green, who steps out to shoot 3's, then you are taking him away from the paint, and he was more comfortable guard post players (though he was very versatile and could guard guys outside, just not as well in the later years). Having Curry, Klay, Iggy/Barnes and Green all on the court at the same time.... it would implode the defensive scheme they employed against every other team that year.

Keep in mind, that the Warriors have hit over 1000 3's this year. You put that against the league BEFORE they pulled the 3-pt line in, and that is about as many 3's as the top-12 3pt shooters hit in a year. That is insane! It would be a complete paradigm shift for the Bulls defense.

I sometimes think that after the Rockets tore through the league with their in-out 3pt games, the league brought the 3-pt line in to facilitate the Bulls championship run and let them bring their defense in closer. It seems like something they'd to to protect their top ticket seller and make sure they were in the finals.

It'd be a great series, but by no means a sweep for either team, and not a lock for either team, though I'd lean toward the Warriors.

valade16
04-06-2016, 06:23 PM
Part of the reason the are few 46-win teams is because the Spurs and the Warriors are so good, and the Thunder would be a 60-win team in any other season. The Clippers would also be chasing 60 wins in most other seasons, were they healthy and not competing against the two teams with two of the best three records in the history of the game. As to their slow start, that was due in part to the fact that they had new pieces, and player the Warriors twice, as well as the Raptors, who have played very well all season.

You have to take into consideration more than just records, though. For example, the 3-point line was closer that season. If the Bulls were paying today, they'd be less effective in terms of scoring, plus they would have to extend their perimeter defense further, opening themselves up to more attacks.

Also, the Warriors have hit over 1000 3-pointers this season and are on pace to hit as many 3's as the top five 3pt shooters combined the season the Bulls won 72 (which were all inflated numbers because the line was brought in).

If you go back to before they brought the line in, the Warriors this season, have hit more 3's than the top 12 3pt shooters combined did back then. I hardly think that would be an easy thing to overcome for the Bulls. Their defense was simply not designed to address an offense like that.

The Bulls were amazing. But they would have had a harder time in the West this season. And the win totals of mid-level teams doesn't really impact things much. It's the elite teams that make a difference. If the next best team is 12 wins below you, and the next best team after that has 20 less wins, then the level of competition is lower in terms of who can compete with you.

For the Warriors, the next best team only has four fewer wins, while the team after that is almost close to the Warriors as the Magic was to the Bulls.

That is two teams that have a legit shot at beating them when they play each other. The Bulls only had one such team in their conference, and that is a HUGE difference.

For a 72-win team, there isn't much difference between going up against at 38 win team, and a 41-win team.

Great research and argument though. Kudos.

It's sort of the chicken or the egg argument isn't it? Have the Warriors gotten 70 wins because the League is weaker or are there not as many 46 win teams because the Warriors/Spurs have won so much.

I think it's a mixture of both. Like I said, going beyond the numbers, are we really going to attribute the seasons of the Grizzlies, Blazers, Rockets, Mavericks, Pelicans or Suns to them having to face the Warriors and Spurs? They've all had problems compared to last season that extend beyond those two opponents. All of those teams simply got worse from the prior season. The Spurs got better with LMA, the Thunder got better with a healthy Durant, but other than that nobody really got drastically better.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying regarding the matchup too. I think the last thing you'd want to do rules wise to beat the Warriors is bring the 3pt line in.

JasonJohnHorn
04-06-2016, 07:05 PM
It's sort of the chicken or the egg argument isn't it? Have the Warriors gotten 70 wins because the League is weaker or are there not as many 46 win teams because the Warriors/Spurs have won so much.

I think it's a mixture of both. Like I said, going beyond the numbers, are we really going to attribute the seasons of the Grizzlies, Blazers, Rockets, Mavericks, Pelicans or Suns to them having to face the Warriors and Spurs? They've all had problems compared to last season that extend beyond those two opponents. All of those teams simply got worse from the prior season. The Spurs got better with LMA, the Thunder got better with a healthy Durant, but other than that nobody really got drastically better.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying regarding the matchup too. I think the last thing you'd want to do rules wise to beat the Warriors is bring the 3pt line in.

True, true. I think that's fair.

I do think the extended 3-pt line is better for the Warriors though.

The thing with the Bulls is that when the line was brought in, the D didn't have to go out as far. That was huge. It gave slashers less space to drive, and made it easier to recover on D. You give Curry an extra couple of feet to get you back peddling, and you're in trouble.

Also...the Bulls (Jordan and Pippen especially), would be far less efficient offensively.

I think if you went with the old line and the old defensive rules, the Bulls would have a better chance.

I think if you went by the old defensive rules and the current 3-pt line, the favour would clearly be in the Warriors favour.

But I think if you went with all the current rules, Jordan's inside game would be even more efficient because I think it would make it easier.

But yeah... that 3pt shooting of the Warriors would be a HUGE problem for the Bulls.

JasonJohnHorn
04-06-2016, 07:06 PM
The 92 Bulls team is better than the 96 Bulls , if the 92 Bulls had the 96 schedule they would have won 75 -77 games .

I think there is a strong case for that. The Pistons that year were SUCH a good team, and the Bulls made them look like a grade-school squad in the conference finals.

They didn't have as many great 3-pt shooters, but you bring the line in for that 92 team, and they would tear $#!T up!

Heediot
04-07-2016, 08:06 AM
The way to beat the Warriors or have a chance with today's rules is to slow down the game. If you play a fast paced game, it plays into their crazy transition offense. In the playoffs basketball tends to be a half court game and the refs tend to allow more physical play. There are times and series where the pace is fast but those are exceptions.

That said, if Memphis with a hobbled Conley could take Golden State to six (I still think they lose in 6-7 with a healthy Conley), I don't see how the Bulls not beat the Warriors. People say the three point line will effect the bulls. Memphis was not the greatest 3 point team and I don't think they had anyone who could shoot the three better then Kerr, their only respectable shooters from range were Lee and Vince Carter. In addition to the Kerr (who was a 3 point specialist), they also have respectable 3 point shooters in Pippen, Harper, and Buechler. The 3 point line may effect Jordan who as JJH mentioned struggled when they extended the line out a bit.

The Warriors offense is more catered to the regular season, where they put up monster and historic numbers. Come playoff time where things slow down and get physical, their edge lessens as exemplified by last years run. There were arguments made that a fully healthy Cavs team could of beaten them in the finals. If the Bulls slow things down against GS, that would play into their advantage. The Triangle offense is catered to the half court. With the hand checking rules, Jordan will find ways to dominate. LeBron who has become a weak 3 point shooter still found ways to be effective against them in the finals, I don't see how Jordan cannot do the same.

Half court defense is key in the playoffs, and the Bulls were one of the greatest half court defenses of all time. I think they can give the Warriors fits and make things tough on them. Memphis slowed them down a bit but did not have enough offense to win. The Bulls can slow them down and have more then enough offense to prevail. Cleveland did a good job of slowing them down but ran out of gas, and Golden State played better with some adjustments. I think the bulls staff and high iq players can adjust to GS adjustments. If the refs also allow more physical play which they tend to do in the playoffs, it favors the bulls also. That's why Derozan and Harden who look for calls, become easier to defend in a more physical series. Curry will still get his, but if they allow more contact it will lessen his impact.

My prediction is still the bulls in 5-6 with the other rules. 6-7 wiith the current rules. I think the Bulls can get more of what they want with the older rules versus the Warriors. You can't purely rely on jumpers with the old rules and without Lee, they don't have must of a post game. The dribble drive is much harder with the old rules as handchecking makes it harder to penetrate and draw easier fouls. With the current rules, all you do is set a high screen and the ball handler gets an easier path to the basket because no contact is allowed. It's easier to draw foul when you can come at someone with a full head of steam. See Ginolbil, Harden, KD etc. Back then consistent driving to the lane and drawing fouls was rarely in anyone's arsenal because it was much more difficult to do. Now, the warriors are less reliant on that tactic compared to Houston and OKC, but it does hinder some of their style of play.

Heediot
04-07-2016, 10:06 AM
To add to the above.

The Bulls had 4 high IQ guys (Jordan, Pippen, Harper and Worm) starting on the team and 3 of them were consistent 1st team all defensive players, they could adjust to the current defensive rules with brains and communication along with their defensive skills/gifts. I also disgree that Rodman coul not hold his own vs. Draymon. Yeah he was not the same perimeter defender as he was earlier in his career, but still had enough mobility and lateral quickness to keep Draymon in front of him. The worm also had great observation and a high iq to read his man's tendencies which will help him on green. The current rules also help the Bulls in that interior defense is more about positioning and help. Man on defense is less vital now, and shot blocking will always be helpful but it isn't as important as being in position and clogging lanes. Longley and Rodman were not shot blockers, they were out there to play pesky defense and get under the skin of other bigs. Draymon is known for getting into people's heads but the Worm was the master, between the two I think they could break a record for techs in a series unless you get Cousins and Sheed in a series reffed by Joey Crawford

FlashBolt
04-07-2016, 12:47 PM
Steve Kerr had a perfect and unbiased response. He's right. Anyone looking into this like a microscope would understand that it would be impossible to dictate this game. You're talking about a completely different game.