PDA

View Full Version : Is Steph Curry just lucky half the time?

kobe4thewinbang
04-02-2016, 04:41 AM
He hits amazing shots from 3 and far beyond the line at times, but how much of that is luck? I know he has a good shooting form, and lots of other players do and did, but it seems that Klay Thompson takes more sensible shots from 3 and is almost as accurate, even drops 40 or outperforms Steph some nights. Imagine if Steph was a rookie taking those shots. I wonder how Reggie Miller or Ray Allen feels about Steph's success. Reggie took long threes too and Allen hit 12 and took 15+ against Bulls in triple OT once, but Steph seems to have a knack at making badly chosen shots. Would Mark Jackson were he still coach allow this "Curry craze" to happen?

MackShock
04-02-2016, 04:59 AM
I wouldn't say it's that much of luck. It's more so that his teammates are creating open looks for him. Granted, his half court and three quarters court shots are probably half form and half luck lol.

And for the shots where he has a defender on him.. I still can't chalk that up to luck. Its not just form, mental has alot to do with it as well.

So is it luck? Maybe a little. But not much.

Iron24th
04-02-2016, 05:27 AM
You can't make that much crazy shots and just being lucky, or he's the luckiest man on earth.

It's work, he's working on it every time, he said it, his teammates said it, it might be a little bit of luck but not so much imo cause there is no one in the league who could make that much and that often some crazy shots like him.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-02-2016, 06:04 AM
:laugh:

Is this thread serious?

KnicksorBust
04-02-2016, 06:44 AM
When you practice something over and over until you become the best at it that isn't called luck its called skill.

ewing
04-02-2016, 08:02 AM
i think he sold his soul to the devil for infinite range. its not luck but it wont end well

kobe4thewinbang
04-02-2016, 08:15 AM
When you practice something over and over until you become the best at it that isn't called luck its called skill.So there is proof somewhere that Curry hoists up 15,000 three-point shots from looooong range in the summer? Guys like Ray Allen and whatnot practiced 15,000 shots but you never saw them do what he's doing.

WaDe03
04-02-2016, 08:39 AM
When you practice something over and over until you become the best at it that isn't called luck its called skill.

Yea some may be a little luck but he actually practices this **** so it's not that surprising. He's the only guy that practices pulling up from anywhere inside half court.

R. Johnson#3
04-02-2016, 08:41 AM
Yes, Steph Curry is definitely lucky with shooting. The same way Shaq was unlucky with free throws.

DboneG
04-02-2016, 08:57 AM
“The more I practice the luckier I get”

Don't know who said it but, it's true. Steph Curry is a child prodigy. Like Tiger Woods, they have been honing their skills since they were little children. Repetition and duplication....one has to repeatedly duplicate the same thing over and over again. Not luck...skill. Playing a guitar... McDonalds didn't get rich making one big hamburger. But, being able to make the same burger, the same way, over and over again. There will be another prodigy...he's being developed as we speak.

DboneG
04-02-2016, 08:59 AM
Exactly.

DboneG
04-02-2016, 09:00 AM

Exactly

Vee-Rex
04-02-2016, 10:59 AM
Yes, Steph Curry is definitely lucky with shooting. The same way Shaq was unlucky with free throws.

:clap:

JAZZNC
04-02-2016, 11:17 AM
So there is proof somewhere that Curry hoists up 15,000 three-point shots from looooong range in the summer? Guys like Ray Allen and whatnot practiced 15,000 shots but you never saw them do what he's doing.

Which is exactly the reason it's not luck. Even guys that took their profession just as seriously couldn't come close to what Steph is doing. It is that rare combination or natural ability, hard work, and more hard work, and having the right mental make up. There is absolutely no luck involved.

Pfeifer
04-02-2016, 11:36 AM
There is no such thing as a bad shot if you can make it. Hes possibly the best shooter of all time. Why cant people just enjoy it instead of trying to find reasons hes not that good.

Alayla
04-02-2016, 11:46 AM
Skill is when luck becomes natural (one of my friends had this as there skype mood for ages). I would say its a fitting statement for this thread.

Vee-Rex
04-02-2016, 11:49 AM
He hits amazing shots from 3 and far beyond the line at times, but how much of that is luck? I know he has a good shooting form, and lots of other players do and did, but it seems that Klay Thompson takes more sensible shots from 3 and is almost as accurate, even drops 40 or outperforms Steph some nights. Imagine if Steph was a rookie taking those shots. I wonder how Reggie Miller or Ray Allen feels about Steph's success. Reggie took long threes too and Allen hit 12 and took 15+ against Bulls in triple OT once, but Steph seems to have a knack at making badly chosen shots. Would Mark Jackson were he still coach allow this "Curry craze" to happen?

I understand your stance, I really do. You're having a hard time believing that a guy can actually make those kind of shots with regularity based on skill. It seems unreal to think of it that way. However, I suggest you watch more Curry.

There comes a time when you realize that his shot-making ability is all about skill. Even the long, near-half-court shots that he miss are in and out, or really close to going in. It's strange, unheard of and uncanny, but his precision is simply incredible. It really is mostly just skill.

If there's any luck involved I'd say it seems that GS always manages (even with small ball lineups) to get the offensive rebound in critical game moments and giving Curry a 2nd opportunity is the last thing you want to do.

CHANGO
04-02-2016, 02:04 PM
I mean, we talkin bout practice.

mngopher35
04-02-2016, 02:08 PM
No, he is lucky all the time not just half of it.

He's the best shooter in nba history, if he was just making shots off luck it would have stopped working a long time ago.

KnicksorBust
04-02-2016, 08:19 PM

I understand your stance, I really do. You're having a hard time believing that a guy can actually make those kind of shots with regularity based on skill. It seems unreal to think of it that way. However, I suggest you watch more Curry.

There comes a time when you realize that his shot-making ability is all about skill. Even the long, near-half-court shots that he miss are in and out, or really close to going in. It's strange, unheard of and uncanny, but his precision is simply incredible. It really is mostly just skill.

If there's any luck involved I'd say it seems that GS always manages (even with small ball lineups) to get the offensive rebound in critical game moments and giving Curry a 2nd opportunity is the last thing you want to do.

If fairness to the other side Curry's percent from "reallly deep " is unsustainable.

naps
04-03-2016, 03:07 AM
Is this a serious thread? Donyell Marshall or Kobe hititng 12 threes in a game can be called being lucky. Curry is a nightly 10 three pointers threat. That's not luck. It's called a combination of RARE TALENT, SKILL and REPETITION.

DboneG
04-03-2016, 10:31 AM
Is this a serious thread? Donyell Marshall or Kobe hititng 12 threes in a game can be called being lucky. Curry is a nightly 10 three pointers threat. That's not luck. It's called a combination of RARE TALENT, SKILL and REPETITION.

"Donyell Marshall or Kobe hititng 12 threes in a game can be called being lucky.".........No, this is more like being in the zone.

naps
04-03-2016, 11:03 AM
Same thing. Thing is luck is not supposed to happen every night, just like you are not in zone every night. What Curry does is not either, it's his skill. He is talented enough and skilled enough to bring it every night.

DboneG
04-03-2016, 11:51 AM
Same thing. Thing is luck is not supposed to happen every night, just like you are not in zone every night. What Curry does is not either, it's his skill. He is talented enough and skilled enough to bring it every night.

Sorry, but, being in the zone and luck are different. Two different monsters. Luck is more like a chance thing, "in the zone" is more of/in the mind thing.

JasonJohnHorn
04-03-2016, 03:31 PM
I used to practice a half court shot going down the center, and I'd always aim to bank it. When I played HORSE with my friends, I'd pull that out.. I'd hit 1-3 or 1-4 of them. Not impressive, but impressive enough that they'd get a letter added.

I imagine Curry is much better than me, so if I could get it to go down from half court 1-4 times lined up down the center, I have no problem believing that an elite NBA player can do better and do it from more angles than I could.

He's amazing. He practices. He works hard. He had an elite shooter as a father who taught him the game from an early age. He brother, who had the same coach growing up (Curry Sr.), also happens to be one of the best 3-pt shooters in the game (.440), so.... no.... I don't think it's luck.

I think it is the result of hard work, and having been fortunate to have a player like Dell Curry as a father.

IBleedPurple
04-03-2016, 04:04 PM
Until I see proof his dad was a great basketball playing/coaching leprechaun, it is not luck. Every shooter makes lucky shots. Great shooters make them look lucky, when in fact they're not.

McAllen Tx
04-03-2016, 04:19 PM
Yeah he's lucky he didnt play in the 80s & early 90s.

naps
04-03-2016, 11:36 PM
Sorry, but, being in the zone and luck are different. Two different monsters. Luck is more like a chance thing, "in the zone" is more of/in the mind thing.

So they were never in the zone from distance in their long careers again? Just that game? Lol. They were in the zone and they got lucky because guess what they didnt replicate anything like that in their careers. If they were just in the zone and not lucky we would seen more of those games from them since they got in the zone more than once for sure.

IBleedPurple
04-03-2016, 11:43 PM
So they were never in the zone from distance in their long careers again? Just that game? Lol. They were in the zone and they got lucky because guess what they didnt replicate anything like that in their careers. If they were just in the zone and not lucky we would seen more of those games from them since they got in the zone more than once for sure.Signed, not a shooter.

DowntownFreddyB
06-02-2016, 01:43 PM
I don't think Steph is just lucky have the time. He practices all of those ridiculous shots so many times everyday. It really is just muscle memory to him. But at the same time you can't go wrong with having Steph or Clay shooting the ball. I like my chances. I just saw today that Steph just released an emoji keyboard just in time for the NBA finals. Here are my favorites- http://boldlist.net/top-5-Steph-Curry-Emojis.php

Chef Curry with tha shot boiiiiiiii............

smood999
06-02-2016, 02:08 PM

You must have not watched him at Davidson. He had one of the most amazing tournament runs by a player doing the exact same thing. This is just who he is and always has been as a player. Sure, he's improved in some areas, specifically ball handling, but this was always his style of play. He's just improved to a point where he's able to do in the NBA what he did at every other level.

BKLYNpigeon
06-02-2016, 02:09 PM
45% is not luck.

Rockets4Life
06-02-2016, 02:25 PM
So there is proof somewhere that Curry hoists up 15,000 three-point shots from looooong range in the summer? Guys like Ray Allen and whatnot practiced 15,000 shots but you never saw them do what he's doing.

Reason no one has seen anything like Curry is because no coach wouldn't let a player jack up 10+ threes a game on a consistent basis no matter how great a shooter they were.

Vee-Rex
06-02-2016, 03:02 PM
Reason no one has seen anything like Curry is because no coach wouldn't let a player jack up 10+ threes a game on a consistent basis no matter how great a shooter they were.

Naw, man. Y'all need to wake up and smell the coffee and cinnamon rolls.

Steph has incredible precision unlike any other great shooter in history. He does this stuff off the dribble, off-balance, and with has a lightning-quick release. There's not another shooter that could replicate all those things with the kind of efficiency Steph has.

Yesssss, I know... it sounds too good to be true! But keep watching that man... he'll change how you guys feel.

8kobe24
06-02-2016, 04:18 PM
Skill, luck whatever... but I'd rather be lucky than shite out of luck.

RLundi
06-02-2016, 04:26 PM
Luck is a terrible rationalization for Curry's success. That isn't how luck works. If so, there'd be significantly more lottery winners and happy gamblers.

Steph is just a phenomenal shooter. If his shooting prowess were half luck, the rest of the NBA -- with the best basketball players on the planet -- would have similar success jacking up crazy threes. They don't, because they can't, because Curry's skill is largely unmatched.

It's not luck. Step on a basketball court and you'll realize how little luck plays a role in the game.

raiderposting
06-02-2016, 05:17 PM
Is Lebron lucky that he was born to be an athletic freak?

smood999
06-02-2016, 09:59 PM

Right...because most of the great shooters out there were doing it off the dribble.

As you said he's shooting a ton more, well how do the percentages match up...how do they match up without even considering the volume of his shots?

Scoots
06-03-2016, 01:59 AM
Kerr, who was a 3 point shooter himself, wasn't comfortable with Curry taking more than 8 3s a game. It wasn't until Kerr got hurt and Walton took over that Curry jumped into double digit attempts. At one point a few weeks into the season Walton said on the radio he wanted Curry to take 15 a game but he only got up to 11 a game this year. Each time he has taken significantly more 3s his efficiency has not gone down but gone up. If he gets it up to 15 a game next year we could see some serious ****.

jason
06-03-2016, 02:01 AM
I would say 100% of the time

TrueFan420
06-03-2016, 02:21 AM
Kerr, who was a 3 point shooter himself, wasn't comfortable with Curry taking more than 8 3s a game. It wasn't until Kerr got hurt and Walton took over that Curry jumped into double digit attempts. At one point a few weeks into the season Walton said on the radio he wanted Curry to take 15 a game but he only got up to 11 a game this year. Each time he has taken significantly more 3s his efficiency has not gone down but gone up. If he gets it up to 15 a game next year we could see some serious ****.

I'm pretty sure Kerr and Curry went on record for crediting Walton for getting him to shoot so many 3's. I vaguely remember Curry saying he didn't feel right shooting so much and he preferred to set his guys up first but Walton got on him to shoot and shoot some more because of his crazy efficiency.

Scoots
06-03-2016, 03:01 AM
I'm pretty sure Kerr and Curry went on record for crediting Walton for getting him to shoot so many 3's. I vaguely remember Curry saying he didn't feel right shooting so much and he preferred to set his guys up first but Walton got on him to shoot and shoot some more because of his crazy efficiency.

And it was a good call by Walton.

TrueFan420
06-03-2016, 10:06 AM
And it was a good call by Walton.
No doubt... I wonder if he continues to push the envolpe with 3s put up with Walton leaving or settles back to a more normalish number.

Wrigheyes4MVP
06-03-2016, 10:38 AM

I didn't realize it was Walton who made that call... hmm

ewing
06-03-2016, 01:10 PM
he's lucky any time he catches rim

PowerHouse
06-03-2016, 01:42 PM
I dont think luck happens half the time. If luck occurred that often it would cease to be luck.