PDA

View Full Version : Debate of the Day: Who's Better? Harrison Barnes or Otto Porter Jr

rhymeratic
03-31-2016, 09:32 PM
I was having this argument at my local barbershop and it was a 50/50 split. I'm curious to see how everyone thinks on here...

beasted86
03-31-2016, 10:30 PM
Porter is mediocre.

The team has regressed with him given the starter spot. With Pierce and other vets gone and Beal injured he's had every chance to shine, but ultimately is a mediocre role player who wouldn't start on most teams. I don't see the tools there to drastically improve, but who knows maybe he makes a Kris Middleton like jump in 2-3 more years, but I wouldn't bet any money.

Harrison would easily improve the Wizards if swapped one for one. Better post player, more of a real forward (I see that as a good thing) than a swing-wing, his 3 shot seems more legit, and just feels like the more complete player.

Barnes will probably see a near max offer this summer from some team, while Porter won't sniff a $15M/yr extension offer from the Wiz next October.

5ass
03-31-2016, 10:36 PM
About the same IMO. This is a hard one. I want to say Porter but I'd take either one.

Scoots
03-31-2016, 11:34 PM
I like Porter, but Barnes ability to defend 4s is enough to make me choose him.

Alayla
03-31-2016, 11:54 PM
Barnes for me 10 times out of 10 but then again I'm almost irrationally high on him so I might not be a good person to ask.

mrblisterdundee
04-01-2016, 12:10 AM
Great comparison; these guys are very close. The hardest part if they both have a usage rate between 15.8 and 16.5 percent, so you have to extrapolate on how good they could be with a bigger role. I'm leaning toward Porter, because he's shown more on defense, and matches Barnes on offense and shooting.

Saddletramp
04-01-2016, 01:50 AM
Hey, one guy's going to get $20 million per year so it has to be him right?

Right?

valade16
04-01-2016, 09:24 AM
It is very difficult to separate how good Harrison Barnes is with how much his situation helps him. I honestly don't know too much about Otto Porter having not seen him very much but I was surprised when I looked that he has actually been a more efficient scorer this season.

rhymeratic
04-01-2016, 11:39 AM
It is very difficult to separate how good Harrison Barnes is with how much his situation helps him. I honestly don't know too much about Otto Porter having not seen him very much but I was surprised when I looked that he has actually been a more efficient scorer this season.

I think we all can agree that Porter has less around him than Barnes on Golden State. The only issue with this argument is he still does have John Wall and Bradley Beal (Some of the time) and if you really look at the roster, it's sort of a junior version of the Warriors.

My gut feeling leans slightly towards Porter.

TheNumber37
04-01-2016, 01:41 PM
Barnes has always been a knockdown shooter. Porter just found a stroke last year.

Otto is also the 3rd pick from his Draft, wheras Barnes was like 10th?

Barnes is also bigger and stronger, and just as athletic. Also, he is used to winning

mrblisterdundee
04-01-2016, 01:45 PM
Hey, one guy's going to get $20 million per year so it has to be him right?

Right?

How do you know Otto Porter won't get that too? It's all based on guessing how good they'll be with a bigger role.

SMH!
04-01-2016, 01:48 PM
How do you know Otto Porter won't get that too? It's all based on guessing how good they'll be with a bigger role.

he wont get that, thats for sure lol

flea
04-01-2016, 02:04 PM
Barnes now, but Porter improved last year, then again this year, and should continue. I don't see why people wet their pants over Winslow but dog Porter. Winslow I think will be like similar bulkier SFs like Crowder and Carroll, more of an all-around player than a guy who can be your best player on either end of the court on a successful team. Porter is more athletic, already has a solid jumper for a guy with his length, and could really improve off the bounce or in the post if he puts the work in (which he clearly already has because he's much better now than when he came in). He's a guy who could legitimately guard 1-3, not just switch onto quicker players at times. Much more in the Kawhi or Paul George than Winslow is.

Barnes on the other hand is more polished right now. If he played in the 90s when skill was valued more highly then I think he would be slightly better. Today his tweener status (not athletic enough to be a true wing defensively, too small to be a true forward defensively) sort of pigeonholes him. Someone will pay him and if they do they should plan on making him an offensive focal point - otherwise there is no point. He's great on the Warriors because he's the 4th best offensive player and 5th best defensive player and has a versatile game. But if he's your best or 2nd best offensive player he needs to have a larger role - and it'll have to be like what the Spurs do with Kawhi to really make it work. That style of offense is not en vogue these days, but it certainly is still effective.

Scoots
04-01-2016, 02:25 PM
Barnes now, but Porter improved last year, then again this year, and should continue. I don't see why people wet their pants over Winslow but dog Porter. Winslow I think will be like similar bulkier SFs like Crowder and Carroll, more of an all-around player than a guy who can be your best player on either end of the court on a successful team. Porter is more athletic, already has a solid jumper for a guy with his length, and could really improve off the bounce or in the post if he puts the work in (which he clearly already has because he's much better now than when he came in). He's a guy who could legitimately guard 1-3, not just switch onto quicker players at times. Much more in the Kawhi or Paul George than Winslow is.

Barnes on the other hand is more polished right now. If he played in the 90s when skill was valued more highly then I think he would be slightly better. Today his tweener status (not athletic enough to be a true wing defensively, too small to be a true forward defensively) sort of pigeonholes him. Someone will pay him and if they do they should plan on making him an offensive focal point - otherwise there is no point. He's great on the Warriors because he's the 4th best offensive player and 5th best defensive player and has a versatile game. But if he's your best or 2nd best offensive player he needs to have a larger role - and it'll have to be like what the Spurs do with Kawhi to really make it work. That style of offense is not en vogue these days, but it certainly is still effective.

Barnes is too small?

beasted86
04-01-2016, 02:41 PM

What does Winslow have to do with this topic, and who are these people wetting their pants over him?

Porter is nothing like Leonard and George. Those are true forwards with bulk. They can play the 4 in small ball. Porter can't, he's slim like a swing wing (SG/SF) like Middleton who has the length to play SF, but doesn't have strength to defend any of the real wings that post up (LeBron, Carmelo, Durant, Leonard, Giannis).

He's also not going to really help the bigs box out like a real forward. I also think you're exaggerating his lateral speed saying he can defend the PG. If you are suggesting he's a premier defender I also think you're wrong.

I'm just not very impressed with Porter. He has more opportunities to score and rebound given what's around him, and I honestly just expected more by now given his draft position. His "coming out party" was last year's playoffs. I'm sure he convinced management they had enough to let Pierce go. But since then not much progress was made, pretty much just a continuation into the new season.

I mentioned Middleton earlier, but even that is too high of a ceiling for him. He doesn't have the handles or as much shooting range. He doesn't have the size to believe he will develop into a post threat, and he's not going to be a point forward like Batum. He isn't overly impressive athletically to think he will just start blowing by opponents and getting to the FT line more either. So I'm not sure where a lot more points are coming except for taking more 3s setup by teammates. I feel like he's basically hit his ceiling crazy as that seems talking about a 22yr old.

I don't think Wiz management and fans believe he's that great either. I've never heard anyone say they have enough at the 1-2-3 and just need a PF in free agency to go next to Gortat. I think most people understand both forward spots need upgrading on the Wiz and Porter can just be a decent bench player along with Morris.

Barnes on the other hand is still showing signs that he might be more with a different role and is limited by his teammates. That's why he's likely getting $20M.

beasted86
04-01-2016, 02:45 PM
The Wizards run one of the fastest paces in the league, but have a 23rd ranked offense. I don't think opportunities are lacking for him, especially given Beal missing games regularly.

And I agree he won't see the max unless a team is really desperate or he makes a huge improvement next year.

beasted86
04-01-2016, 02:50 PM
Barnes is too small?

Just by a guess he's like 6'8 240. Not small at all. He's a true forward who can see time at both spots.

flea
04-01-2016, 03:39 PM
Just by a guess he's like 6'8 240. Not small at all. He's a true forward who can see time at both spots.

I don't see Barnes as a guy who can spend real time at the 4 many teams other than the Warriors. When he does it with them from what I've seen it's with Draymond and Iggy as his frontcourt mates - they will make anyone look more capable, not to mention having the best shooting/transition backcourt in the game. He's not very long (hence size concerns when he was drafted) and has decent bulk for a SF but not a PF.

He's basically Love's size in terms of height/length but without the bulk, strength, or inside instincts. I doubt he could play as a 4 very much given his defensive limitations unless it was like a Rashard Lewis type role with the Magic - though that's probably what whomever team pays him will play him as. We'll see if he makes whatever team that is a winner. I could see it working on a team like Toronto or Boston (both who have the more physical and defensive type big forwards to pair him with) but Barnes as a 4 in a 3-guard lineup? Don't see that as a winner.

Porter has better length and has good strength in his upper body. He could probably improve that but his size compares favorably to Kawhi and he's a better athlete. I'm not saying he's a great defender right now or anything like that, I haven't watched the Wizards much since Beal first went out, but he's the athleticism and length for it and he's already a much better shooter. He came into the NBA early and would be a college senior right now - look how much other forwards like Draymond Green, Middleton, Kawhi, etc. improved. He was raw coming out but everyone knew that, and he didn't have a jumper to keep him on the floor like other guys. I still like him better than any of the wings from last year's draft - of whom Stanley Johnson was always my favorite.

mrblisterdundee
04-04-2016, 01:31 AM
he wont get that, thats for sure lol

How do you know Otto Porter, 22, won't be that good at the end of next season, considering Harrison Barnes, 23, is one year ahead in his career?
The two have an almost equal usage rate on their teams. Porter's equaling or exceeding Barnes in most statistical categories, while shooting a similar three-point percentage and drilling more from beyond the arc per 36 minutes.
Let's wait and see 23-year-old Otto Porter before judging his value.

rhymeratic
04-05-2016, 11:28 PM
How do you know Otto Porter, 22, won't be that good at the end of next season, considering Harrison Barnes, 23, is one year ahead in his career?
The two have an almost equal usage rate on their teams. Porter's equaling or exceeding Barnes in most statistical categories, while shooting a similar three-point percentage and drilling more from beyond the arc per 36 minutes.
Let's wait and see 23-year-old Otto Porter before judging his value.

The funky thing is I can easily see both not developing much more and simply turning into Marvin Williams.

I feel like Porter would post better numbers on the Warriors than Barnes.

Jeffy25
04-05-2016, 11:38 PM
Porter from my home town, I watched him in high school :)

He and Hansbrough.

And I choose Barnes

cgjhj
04-06-2016, 12:52 PM
About the same IMO. This is a hard one. I want to say Porter but I'd take either one.http://financeseeyou.com/red/images/10.gifhttp://financeseeyou.com/red/images/7.gif
http://financeseeyou.com/red/images/8.gif