PDA

View Full Version : Should doctor-prescribed steroid be allowed during injury recovery?

JasonJohnHorn
03-31-2016, 07:41 PM
A few years back I had a back injury, and my doctor gave me a prescription for a light steroid, which apparently helped the healing process (not sure how it works).

But I heard T-Mac a while back say that he had considered using steroid when coming back from injury, not to get an unfair advantage, but to speed up the strengthen the healing process under doctor supervision/recommendation.

Now, I'm not a medicine man, nor do I know all the ins and outs of the collective bargaining agreement, but I do recall that a couple of guys in the past have been suspended for using something their doctor recommended (I think Rashad Lewis and Turkaglu if I remember right, but correct me if you have a better memory of those instances).

My question is this: shouldn't a doctor's recommendation supercede the CBA drug policy? If a doctor prescribes something to help the HEALTH of an athlete, shouldn't that athlete's health take precedence over the policy, and isn't it unfair to punish them for it?

I'm not arguing for a carte blanch repeal, simply something where an NBA doctor and a player's physician touch base, discuss the options, and then allow (or disallow) a player to use a drug his doctor thinks will help improve his health.

Thoughts or clarification?

ewing
03-31-2016, 07:44 PM
yes

More-Than-Most
03-31-2016, 08:08 PM
100 percent yes and why the league doesnt allow it boggles my mind considering it would get their top players back faster.

krazylegz
03-31-2016, 08:56 PM
yes....arent certain kinds of steroids used for asthma??

sixer04fan
03-31-2016, 09:34 PM
100% yes. But I also understand the reasoning for why a wide-sweeping ban needs to be enforced for competitive/fairness purposes.

But yes. If a doctor recommends a steroid for proper healing and recovery from an injury, the player shouldn't be punished if he uses it.

It's the nature of professional sports that these guys put a greater physical toll on their bodies than anyone else in the world. And yes they get paid a lot to do that. But it's also about more than just their career. It's about long term quality of life. You sometimes hear about how certain ex-players really struggle with rapidly declining physical health after they retire. Often times, it's likely because they were banned from receiving the optimal treatment and recovery options during their playing days.

Dade County
03-31-2016, 09:56 PM
Anything that is safe for an athlete that can make them stronger, faster & keep them healthy; should be allowed. Its entertainment anyway.

The record books should just reflect that in this area man created performance enhancing drugs that made athletes more powerful lol

Kush McDaniels
03-31-2016, 10:33 PM
I think they should - but be prepared for plenty of players being "injured". There should be a league-approval process for this kind of stuff, because it'll need to be regulated or else it will be out of control.

kingsdelez24
04-01-2016, 02:53 AM
yes....arent certain kinds of steroids used for asthma??

Anthony Bennett hardly plays and you want to ban him???? Lol

(Inb4 you point out that you agree with the benefits)

warfelg
04-01-2016, 08:43 AM
I'm all for it. I got some when I hurt my back really bad, and while it still hurts from time to time, the recovery was a ton better than it could have been.

The thing with Doctor prescribed steroids is they are very controlled small doses. It's not like shooting up weeks of anabolics. It's small amount for a short span to boost the healing process.