View Full Version : Western Conference playoff projection

Scoots
03-31-2016, 10:11 AM
I am going to assume the first 4 seeds are not going to change:

1. Warriors
2. Spurs
3. Thunder
4. Clippers

The remaining teams are currently like this with my guesstimation for their finishing record.

5. Grizzlies (41) ... 0-7
6. Blazers (39) ... 5-2
7. Rockets (37) ... 6-1
8. Jazz (37) ... 5-2
9. Mavs (37) ... 3-4

Which brings us to:

5. Blazers (44) at the Clippers
6. Rockets (43) at the Thunder
7. Jazz (42) at the Spurs
8. Grizzlies (41) at the Warriors

I think all of those series (except the 1/8 seed one) will be very entertaining with some nice side stories. Lillard vs Paul. Harden vs Thunder. Young good defensive team coached by a bud from the extended Pop coaching tree vs the mighty Spurs machine.

Sorry Mavs fans.

What do you think?

valade16
03-31-2016, 10:24 AM
Memphis has the following games remaining:

vs TOR
@ ORL
vs CHI
@ DAL
vs GS
@ LAC
@ GS

That is a very difficult schedule and they are missing both Conley and Marc Gasol.

Portland's remaining games are:

vs BOS
vs MIA
@ GS
@ SAC
vs OKC
vs MIN
vs DEN

Lots of home games but Boston, Golden State and Oklahoma City are very tough games.

If Memphis goes 1-6 they finish 42-40 and if Portland finishes 4-3 they finish 43-39 just barely edging them out.

Portland and Memphis split their season series 2-2 so I'm not sure what the tiebreaker would be at that point.

Memphis is 2-8 in their last 10 games.

In short, it's possible for Portland to catch Memphis but it would take both Memphis losing virtually every game and Portland playing very well for that to happen.

Scoots
03-31-2016, 10:39 AM
Memphis has the following games remaining:

vs TOR
@ ORL
vs CHI
@ DAL
vs GS
@ LAC
@ GS

That is a very difficult schedule and they are missing both Conley and Marc Gasol.

Portland's remaining games are:

vs BOS
vs MIA
@ GS
@ SAC
vs OKC
vs MIN
vs DEN

Lots of home games but Boston, Golden State and Oklahoma City are very tough games.

If Memphis goes 1-6 they finish 42-40 and if Portland finishes 4-3 they finish 43-39 just barely edging them out.

Portland and Memphis split their season series 2-2 so I'm not sure what the tiebreaker would be at that point.

Memphis is 2-8 in their last 10 games.

In short, it's possible for Portland to catch Memphis but it would take both Memphis losing virtually every game and Portland playing very well for that to happen.

I think it's very likely Memphis is passed by Portland ... the question is how far do they fall.

Tony_Starks
03-31-2016, 10:52 AM
I think Memphis slides down to 6th, and Houston misses the playoffs. Out of all the teams in the mix they are playing the worst ball while Dallas and Utah seem to really be on a mission.

valade16
03-31-2016, 11:05 AM
I think it's very likely Memphis is passed by Portland ... the question is how far do they fall.

Really don't think Portland has a chance of winning a playoff series vs. any of the top 4 but I would most like us to face the Clippers.

Scoots
03-31-2016, 11:40 AM
The Grizzlies easiest game in the last 8 was against Denver ... and they lost. It's a shame to see that team just falling apart physically. It seems the grind has ground them down.

dhopisthename
03-31-2016, 01:55 PM
man the jazz losing last night just about locks them into at best a 7-8

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-31-2016, 02:19 PM
The Grizzlies easiest game in the last 8 was against Lakers ... and they lost. It's a shame to see that team just falling apart physically. It seems the grind has ground them down.

fixed

Scoots
03-31-2016, 02:44 PM
fixed

They don't play the Lakers in their last 8 games. Nuggets, Raptors, Magic, Bulls, Mavs, Warriors, Clippers, Warriors.

kobe4thewinbang
03-31-2016, 02:50 PM
I don't see a point in the Grizzlies making it. They have a 1% chance of advancing, and other than the "win for the sake of winning", they really don't benefit from an early exit. That, and the Grizzlies play some ugly basketball that will not be good for viewership. Just saying. They got a good lead on the other teams below them though, unless they seriously botch their last games and if there's any tie-breaker scenarios.

I hope the Mavericks make it. I think they could potentially upset somebody, or force a game 7 like they did against the Spurs. Dunno what ever happened with Parsons injury, though. Dirk deserves the playoffs.

Shame the Kings got so many issues, since they had a scrappy start. They need a good coach, and honestly I wonder if Cousins doesn't wanna leave after this season and if Rondo even stays in that mess, though he had a bad stretch there too the last couple weeks.

Houston needs to rebuild, clearly, and they're undecided on what to do with the injury-prone, declining max salary-demanding elephant in the room. They had a good run last year, but clearly something was wrong internally and firing McHale was stupid. Harden's had a bad year too, IMO, though he still scores a lot every other game it seems. If they make the playoffs, again, what's the point?

Let a scrappy team like Utah in. Overall, it's crazy to think that the coach class of the west is not even above .500 and yet all 8 teams potentially making the playoffs in the east ARE for once. Other than the Warriors and Spurs crazy success this year, the west seems to be in flux with talent and winning teams.

http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Cnf.html?ls=iref:nba:gnav

Scoots
03-31-2016, 03:03 PM
I don't see a point in the Grizzlies making it. They have a 1% chance of advancing, and other than the "win for the sake of winning", they really don't benefit from an early exit. That, and the Grizzlies play some ugly basketball that will not be good for viewership. Just saying. They got a good lead on the other teams below them though, unless they seriously botch their last games and if there's any tie-breaker scenarios.

I hope the Mavericks make it. I think they could potentially upset somebody, or force a game 7 like they did against the Spurs. Dunno what ever happened with Parsons injury, though. Dirk deserves the playoffs.

Shame the Kings got so many issues, since they had a scrappy start. They need a good coach, and honestly I wonder if Cousins doesn't wanna leave after this season and if Rondo even stays in that mess, though he had a bad stretch there too the last couple weeks.

Houston needs to rebuild, clearly, and they're undecided on what to do with the injury-prone, declining max salary-demanding elephant in the room. They had a good run last year, but clearly something was wrong internally and firing McHale was stupid. Harden's had a bad year too, IMO, though he still scores a lot every other game it seems. If they make the playoffs, again, what's the point?

Let a scrappy team like Utah in. Overall, it's crazy to think that the coach class of the west is not even above .500 and yet all 8 teams potentially making the playoffs in the east ARE for once. Other than the Warriors and Spurs crazy success this year, the west seems to be in flux with talent and winning teams.

http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Cnf.html?ls=iref:nba:gnav

At this point making the playoffs is out of the Grizzlies control. I was assuming the Grizzlies lose all of their remaining games and drop to the 8th seed, and I just can't see the Mavs winning enough games to pass them.

As long as the bottom 2 teams in the west finish the last 7 games over .500 (and I think that's likely) no under .500 team will qualify for the playoffs in the West.

kobe4thewinbang
04-01-2016, 06:29 PM
I wonder why this thread ain't more popular. Huh. Anyway...Mirotic is making lazy defenders pay and Bulls got two close wins, one against Pacers (will that factor into who gets what seed?) so they might still make it but that's the east. Dallas got a good win with Barea still on fire, and Memphis lost as did Houston. I think Houston will fall short because they should've won that game (against the Bulls). Of course, Dwight only contributed 7 points.

2015-2016 Conference Regular Season Standings
Eastern Conference

Cleveland 53-22
Toronto 50-24
Atlanta 45-31
Miami 43-31
Charlotte 43-31
Boston 43-32
Detroit 40-35
Indiana 39-36
Chicago 38-37
Washington 36-39

Golden State 68-7
San Antonio 63-12
Oklahoma City 53-23
L.A. Clippers 47-28
Memphis 41-34
Portland 40-36
Dallas 37-38
Houston 37-39

YAALREADYKNO
04-01-2016, 06:49 PM
I wouldn't even mind if the mavs missed the playoffs this season. They're not winning one game against the Warriors or Spurs

FlashBolt
04-01-2016, 09:16 PM
I wouldn't even mind if the mavs missed the playoffs this season. They're not winning one game against the Warriors or Spurs

The Dirk vs Duncan matchup is worth it in itself tbh. The thing about the West is the top four teams are just miles above the bottom four in the playoffs. It doesn't matter how they pair up from 5-8. Obviously, you want to be up against the Clippers but I don't see Dallas, Memphis, Utah, or Portland advancing at all. Dallas has a slick chance just because you never know when Dirk might pull up some crazy games.

Scoots
04-02-2016, 12:00 AM
Jazz and Mavs won tonight. I didn't think the Mavs would win at Detroit.

MrfadeawayJB
04-02-2016, 08:36 PM
Grizz do have something to play for. I think they lose a draft pick if they don't make postseason (it was a contingency of a trade)

valade16
04-03-2016, 07:59 PM
Mavs win again, that's 4 in a row. They are not going down without a fight.

mrblisterdundee
04-04-2016, 01:09 AM
1. Warriors
2. Spurs
3. Thunder
4. Clippers
5. Trailblazers
6. Memphis
7. Jazz
8. Mavericks

kobe4thewinbang
04-10-2016, 05:21 PM
Mavs win again, that's 4 in a row. They are not going down without a fight.Go, Mavs! Barea still ballin'.

tp13baby
04-10-2016, 06:52 PM
Utah went on a 24-0 run over the last 7 minutes in the third haha

Scoots
04-11-2016, 06:58 PM
Grizz do have something to play for. I think they lose a draft pick if they don't make postseason (it was a contingency of a trade)

They are in now. I think the worst they can finish is 7th.

Scoots
04-11-2016, 07:05 PM
I think I'd prefer the Mavs 8th rather than the Jazz.