PDA

View Full Version : Kobe vs. D Wade

IKnowHoops
03-31-2016, 04:26 AM
I was watching an old Wade go against an older Kobe last night, Wade knows exactly what Kobe is going to do offensively.

When I think of these guys in there prime, I really feel that in a seven game series, Wade would outplay Kobe 10/10 times. I think Wade is a very bad matchup for Kobe. Wade was faster, quicker, with the same vertical but he was a quicker leaper than Kobe while he probably gave up 2-3 inches.

In there primes who would out play who in a 7 game series?

Who was the better player?

jerellh528
03-31-2016, 04:29 AM
:rimshot:

Aust
03-31-2016, 04:31 AM
What rosters we working with? It's tough for me to say who would outplay who without looking at the supporting cast.

IKnowHoops
03-31-2016, 04:33 AM
What rosters we working with? It's tough for me to say who would outplay who without looking at the supporting cast.

How about Dwade Shaq ring vs Kobe Gasol rings. Those two teams.

PhillyFaninLA
03-31-2016, 06:23 AM
Kobe is better but if I can have either as a rookie I'm taking Wade....Kobe is way to selfish and his attitude isn't great...you can build a team around Wade easier because he is much more of a team guy. Kobe is a warrior but you can win with Wade so I'd rather not deal with Kobe crying during a bad season.

McAllen Tx
03-31-2016, 07:52 AM
I was watching an old Wade go against an older Kobe last night, Wade knows exactly what Kobe is going to do offensively.

When I think of these guys in there prime, I really feel that in a seven game series, Wade would outplay Kobe 10/10 times. I think Wade is a very bad matchup for Kobe. Wade was faster, quicker, with the same vertical but he was a quicker leaper than Kobe while he probably gave up 2-3 inches.

How does Wade outplay Kobe 10/10 in a 7 game series?

DanG
03-31-2016, 09:07 AM

it was one play lol

JasonJohnHorn
03-31-2016, 09:08 AM
If you take their peak seasons (let's say Kobe 06-07-his efficiency was higher that year than the year he posted 35 a game), and Wade in in 08-09, then I think you have a really interesting series for sure.

The thing is, Kobe has more seasons at his peak. Wade has some injury years... they took a bite out of his prime, and we only saw the Heat lean on Wade heavily one year, where as the Lakers relied on Kobe heavily for several seasons. That leaves Kobe with more impressive averages.

If you asked me: do you want ten years of what Wade did in 08/09 or ten years of what Kobe did in 06/07, I'll take Wade because he is a better playmaker, and I want a guy who can take over a game offensively, but knows how to set players up and will get the ball to the player who has the best shot.

Kobe will force a shot before giving it up to a guy with a better shot in most instances. Wade will pass it if somebody has a better shot. That is going to help a team win.

I wouldn't argue with somebody who said Kobe is more talented, or had a longer peak, or was more athletic, but look at T-Mac: being more gifted or talented doesn't always lead to wins. I'll take a guy who is 9.5/10 and has a team-first mentality, than a guy who is 10/10 and has a hero-ball mentality.

But if I'm asked who so I want from the age of 20-35 as they played, I'll take Kobe.

Slug3
03-31-2016, 09:39 AM
As a Heat fan I have watched a lot of old Kobe/Wade Duels. I also think you might not have seen the older ones. Honestly with a lot of the older Wade teams, he didn't guard Kobe as often as Kobe guarded Wade. Thats not a knock on Wade, but we usually had a better perimeter defender to match up against him.

Tony_Starks
03-31-2016, 09:46 AM
Kobe.

Better defense, longer range.

naps
04-01-2016, 01:29 AM
Both are terrific players. If you go for a career, you go with Kobe since his longevity was crazy. If you go for just one series in their primes, a lot depend on the rosters but I will take Wade just for the fact that he is more of a team player than Kobe. Really can't go wrong either way though.

More-Than-Most
04-01-2016, 02:49 AM
Kobe... Prime I might go wade but there is a value in longevity... Kobe is a ****ing warrior

WaDe03
04-01-2016, 01:50 PM
Prime/Peak Wade is better and Kobes longevity is better. They're both GOAT. Can't go wrong with either.

flea
04-01-2016, 02:09 PM
Kobe has gone from overrated around here about 5 years ago to underrated now. And Wade, well I think that is just the result of too many Heat fans. Wade's not even as good as Drexler or West - how he is supposed to be better than the 2nd best SG is beyond me.

FlashBolt
04-01-2016, 02:10 PM
Wade's 2008-2009 year was easily better than any of Kobe's best year. Sorry, it's just the truth. But this question is very vague. Going by longevity, we already know who wins here. Going by ranking, Wade should not be in the same sentence. This has been already established. If Kobe is above LeBron, why the hell should Wade even be mentioned? Prime Wade+Shaq, though, would have been better than Kobe+Shaq IMO.

FlashBolt
04-01-2016, 02:10 PM
Kobe has gone from overrated around here about 5 years ago to underrated now. And Wade, well I think that is just the result of too many Heat fans. Wade's not even as good as Drexler or West - how he is supposed to be better than the 2nd best SG is beyond me.

And I bet you also think the 1950's had better television shows..

naps
04-02-2016, 02:25 AM

Lol

DanG
04-02-2016, 05:14 AM
Both are amazing players, but I don't agree Wade's prime is better. Their pretty much equal, you can't go wrong.

TDE
04-02-2016, 02:30 PM
Kobe is way to selfish and his attitude isn't great...you can build a team around Wade easier because he is much more of a team guy.

I'll take Wade because he is a better playmaker, and I want a guy who can take over a game offensively, but knows how to set players up and will get the ball to the player who has the best shot.

Kobe will force a shot before giving it up to a guy with a better shot in most instances. Wade will pass it if somebody has a better shot. That is going to help a team win.

I will take Wade just for the fact that he is more of a team player than Kobe.

Hold on, so you chose Wade cause he's a better passer and team player over Kobe but Kobe put up better assist in his Final Appearances than Wade did?

Kobe: 7.4, 5.8, 5.3, 5.0, 4.4, 4.2, 3.9

Wade: 5.2, 5.2, 4.6, 3.8, 2.6

Chronz
04-02-2016, 04:10 PM
7.4 assists? No fkin way

TDE
04-02-2016, 10:24 PM
7.4 assists? No fkin way

http://www.nba.com/lakers/stats/2008/nba_finals_stats.html

32.4 / 7.4 / 5.6

FlashBolt
04-03-2016, 01:53 AM
Hold on, so you chose Wade cause he's a better passer and team player over Kobe but Kobe put up better assist in his Final Appearances than Wade did?

Kobe: 7.4, 5.8, 5.3, 5.0, 4.4, 4.2, 3.9

Wade: 5.2, 5.2, 4.6, 3.8, 2.6

What the hell does the Final appearances have anything to do with their actual ability to play with a team. How many players have said one negative thing about Wade... Wade is one of the best team player's to have and him allowing LeBron to take over the team is a sign that Wade doesn't care about ego or being the man in charge. Kobe would never replicate that same persona.. you just typing assist numbers for a five game span is ridiculous. Wade is by far the better team player than Kobe will ever be. Even he will tell you that..

LA_Raiders
04-03-2016, 02:19 AM
Kobe no question. DW was great, but never at the same level as Kobe. The only advantage over Kobe was quickness, that's about it.

FlashBolt
04-03-2016, 02:21 AM
Kobe no question. DW was great, but never at the same level as Kobe. The only advantage over Kobe was quickness, that's about it.

Never at the same level? Which year of Kobe's was better than 2008-2009 Wade?

More-Than-Most
04-03-2016, 04:18 AM

This is false and silly... Peak wade is better than any version of kobe.... The reason why Kobe is above wade is 100 percent longevity and rightfully so but if we are matching up primes its wade without a 2nd thought.

TDE
04-03-2016, 05:58 AM
What the hell does the Final appearances have anything to do with their actual ability to play with a team. How many players have said one negative thing about Wade... Wade is one of the best team player's to have and him allowing LeBron to take over the team is a sign that Wade doesn't care about ego or being the man in charge. Kobe would never replicate that same persona.. you just typing assist numbers for a five game span is ridiculous. Wade is by far the better team player than Kobe will ever be. Even he will tell you that...

What the hell does being a better team player matter if the end result is the same? Kobe went to the Finals 7 times, being himself. This "better teammate" bs is a straight cop out. Jordan was one of the worst teammates ever, does that mean I take Wade over him?!? The Anwser is HELL NO!

We talking about a 7 game series so yea , I am going to compare both players assist per game in the biggest stage, isn't this what we are talking about???

"In their primes who would out play who in a 7 game series?"

Did I miss something????

Kobe 5.4 Finals average.
Wade 4.2 Finals average.

jerellh528
04-03-2016, 07:02 AM
This is false and silly... Peak wade is better than any version of kobe.... The reason why Kobe is above wade is 100 percent longevity and rightfully so but if we are matching up primes its wade without a 2nd thought.

Peak wade was one season long, and even so, it was just comparable to Kobe. That season was so much better than his entire career that it's almost like an outlier, meanwhile Kobe has put up consistently better years than wade for his whole career. Even if you think by some stretch of pseudo-statistical analysis you can claim that wade has ever been a better basketball player than Kobe at any point, much less prime, you have to account for kobe being a much better defender.
This nonsense that wade had a "better prime" than Kobe is just getting old when you see the same few people try to peddle it around as fact.
You can believe whatever you want, but when you say you think wade has a better prime than Kobe without second though, it just looks kind of bad lol..I can't really think of anything wade did better or at a higher level than Kobe despite his 1 year outlier year that was comparable to a handful of kobe's.

KnicksorBust
04-06-2016, 02:58 PM
If both players are 100% healthy and on great teams then I believe Kobe at his absolute best is better than Wade at essentially every basketball skill.

ewing
04-06-2016, 03:13 PM
If both players are 100% healthy and on great teams then I believe Kobe at his absolute best is better than Wade at essentially every basketball skill.

this

mngopher35
04-06-2016, 03:53 PM

Passing/Playmaking, slashing/finishing and help defense all would favor Wade IMO. Wade had an excellent peak even if he wasn't able to sustain it nearly as long. I still would likely choose Kobe though, depending on the situation.

Pakman
04-06-2016, 03:58 PM
Let it flow guys. Let it flow through you.

Slug3
04-06-2016, 04:51 PM
I mean you won't go wrong with either, but as most people including Heat fans would put Kobe 2nd best SG and Wade 3rd. With that I think Kobe would be the answer here.

But as a biased Heat fan I would probably take Wades peak over Kobes, I would also expect Laker fans to do the same.

J_M_B
04-06-2016, 05:26 PM

I can't see an argument for Kobe as a better weak side defender. I don't think there has ever been a guard that blocked or challenged 7 footers with such regularity like Wade did during his prime.

Also Wade was probably the best at coming off a screen and roll IMO, as well as his ability to get to the rim with such ease. Kobe called him the hardest player to guard in that situation last week, saying "he would just disappear."

NFLNBA
04-06-2016, 05:53 PM

What the hell does being a better team player matter if the end result is the same? Kobe went to the Finals 7 times, being himself. This "better teammate" bs is a straight cop out. Jordan was one of the worst teammates ever, does that mean I take Wade over him?!? The Anwser is HELL NO!

We talking about a 7 game series so yea , I am going to compare both players assist per game in the biggest stage, isn't this what we are talking about???

Did I miss something????

Kobe 5.4 Finals average.
Wade 4.2 Finals average.

This x2

The whole wade is better teamate crap is absurd and stupid. Lets ask whats important....if you want to build a team in their primes you take Kobe every time. The dude has 7 i repeat 7 finals appearances and 5 rings......HIS way (selfish)or whatever you want to call it works! The dude had 8 straight 40 pt games lol 3 people could not guard him. As ^ said MJ was just as selfish as Kobe and nobody complains. MJ and Kobe best 2 SGs of all time......Wade is in argument of 3-5 of all time.

Hangin n Wangin
04-06-2016, 06:00 PM
lol bunch of smart people in here.

Jamiecballer
04-06-2016, 07:07 PM

wade was better but can't pretend like the career altering injuries didn't occur. :(

Bring The Heat
04-06-2016, 09:58 PM
Wade was superior in his prime than Kobe at getting to the rim with ease and finishing. Like someone said earlier he would literally disappear coming off the pick and roll, slashing into the lane and before you knew it he was at the rim. Completely unguardable. He was a better weak side defender as well

Kobe had a better shot, more range and better post game. Probably a better man on man defender. That's why he's had more longevity than wade. When that athleticism diminishes, having a consistent jumper with range can extend your career at little further.

Both incredible players and unstoppable in their primes. Can't go wrong with picking either to lead your team to a championship

BHF
04-07-2016, 01:37 AM
Its Kobe, Wade was a roid monkey for most of his career it shouldn't even be a debate.

FlashBolt
04-07-2016, 12:47 PM

Did I miss something????

Kobe 5.4 Finals average.
Wade 4.2 Finals average.

If the end result is the same? Kobe played with Shaq, pal. You don't really need to be a great teammate to get to the Finals with Shaq. It proved to be true when despite their lack of affection for each other, they were still able to reach the NBA Finals. I'd figure you could take Iverson and T-Mac and replicate the Lakers success during that threepeat as well. I never said being a better teammate = being a better player. What I said was Wade was a better teammate. Is that not true? How many players will sacrifice a part of their career so another player can take over? Kobe never did that... FYI.

What are those averages? Assist numbers? Clearly you didn't read correctly. No crap Kobe would have higher assist numbers... he controlled the ball more.

YAALREADYKNO
04-08-2016, 10:22 AM
A lot of y'all forget how scary prime Kobe was. Kobe didn't deserve some of the defensive teams he got late in his career but when he wanted to lock in defensively, he was as good as it got

FlashBolt
04-08-2016, 12:03 PM
A lot of y'all forget how scary prime Kobe was. Kobe didn't deserve some of the defensive teams he got late in his career but when he wanted to lock in defensively, he was as good as it got

That's true but 2008-2009 Wade was just amazing.. He did everything so well and carried that dreadful Miami Heat team that were unloading for draft picks. I gotta give credit where credit is due. I'd take that Wade over prime Kobe but I don't think it's an argument if someone chooses Kobe over Wade either. Both are amazing players, top 3 SG's. No issue here.

FlashBolt
04-08-2016, 12:13 PM

I like that 2008-09 Wade with his 2005-2006 roster compared to Kobe's 2005-2006 season with the 2009 Lakers.

WaDe03
04-08-2016, 02:05 PM

Those defensive teams he didn't deserve should've went to Wade though. Wade was lockdown too he would lock you up, rip you block your shot then when your seven footer would grab the rebound and go up to dunk Wade would come over and block him too in the same possession. Wades defense is so underrated.

LakersEaglesLA
04-08-2016, 02:17 PM
It's funny how most of you talk about Kobe 05-06 season against Wade 06-07 season as a barometer. What about Kobe dominating 99-04 including playoffs... I love Wade's game, but Kobe is the 2nd best shooting guard of all time! Period... Wade and his momma would tell you that

xxdc2tegxx
04-08-2016, 02:25 PM
Kobe #2 shooting guard and Wade #3 SG everyone already knows. To Wade's credit...if he was placed in Kobe's spot throughout his career there's no doubt in my mind he would also have 5 rings as well. He was just as talented and gifted and his peak playoff performance (Finals vs. mavs....even though of all the FT's were questionable) probably outshined Kobe's peak playoff performance. The longevity of Kobe's career, similarities to MJ, blessing of having SHAQ for 3 rings makes this a non-argument of best SG after jordan.

WaDe03
04-08-2016, 02:38 PM
Yea Kobes is the 2nd best and Wade is 3rd. Kobes 20 seasons and longevity give him the nod over Wade. But as prime/peak Wade was better. Had injuries not gotten in the way of crucial parts in the season for him he could've passed Kobe up but depending on what happens to finish his career I doubt he will pass him.

Wade said himself in an interview this year that had it not been for the injuries he would be up there with LeBron, Jordan, etc. I agree when you look at the possibilities had he not been injured. Might have another ring or 2 and an MVP or 2.

DanG
04-08-2016, 03:45 PM

thissssss

magic0320
04-09-2016, 11:39 AM
Prime/Peak Kobe is better than Wade, and Kobe was much better slasher and quicker in he's 20s compare to wade's 20s. Kids this days smh...

IKnowHoops
04-10-2016, 02:21 AM
Peak wade was one season long, and even so, it was just comparable to Kobe. That season was so much better than his entire career that it's almost like an outlier, meanwhile Kobe has put up consistently better years than wade for his whole career. Even if you think by some stretch of pseudo-statistical analysis you can claim that wade has ever been a better basketball player than Kobe at any point, much less prime, you have to account for kobe being a much better defender.
This nonsense that wade had a "better prime" than Kobe is just getting old when you see the same few people try to peddle it around as fact.
You can believe whatever you want, but when you say you think wade has a better prime than Kobe without second though, it just looks kind of bad lol..I can't really think of anything wade did better or at a higher level than Kobe despite his 1 year outlier year that was comparable to a handful of kobe's.

He could penetrate and get to the hole a lot better

bolts4ever
04-10-2016, 04:28 AM
Wades lack of a jumper will always keep him from being compared to Kobe.

SportsFanatic10
04-10-2016, 03:37 PM
Prime/Peak Kobe is better than Wade, and Kobe was much better slasher and quicker in he's 20s compare to wade's 20s. Kids this days smh...

This entire post is completely false. Kobe a much better slasher!? lol WTF

rex.reyesiii
04-10-2016, 10:48 PM
I voted for DWade but yeh, Kobe's game improved overtime specially seeing the vs. Coach Brown's Detroit team again.

IKnowHoops
04-11-2016, 12:50 AM
I voted for DWade but yeh, Kobe's game improved overtime specially seeing the vs. Coach Brown's Detroit team again.

Kobe was good, but in that series, Shaq was so much better. Had they just fed shaq with no consequence, and played off him, Lakers would of won in 5-6 games. Kobe hero ball made that series impossible for them to win.

cjhcyj
04-11-2016, 10:44 AM
What rosters we working with? It's tough for me to say who would outplay who without looking at the supporting cast.http://financeseeyou.com/red/images/16.gif
http://financeseeyou.com/red/images/7.gif
http://financeseeyou.com/red/images/8.gif