PDA

View Full Version : Which statistical anomalies are you most impressed by this season?

JasonJohnHorn
03-30-2016, 11:35 PM
This year's stats have been mind boggling. A lot of the anomalies have to do with the Warriors, but there are others as well:

1. One team has two of the league's top-three scorers (OKC).

2. The Warriors have two of the league's top-10 playmakers.

3. Only 4 teams in the history of the NBA have every finished with a winning percentage over .820: this year two teams are on pace for that (GSW/SAS).

4. Before this season, only one player had more than 270's 3pt FGs in a season: this year to players are on pace for that number.

5. Curry is first in points, but is not even in the top 20 for 2pt FGs made.

6. Curry is the first guy to record a 90/50/40 season AND lead the league in steals.

7. Draymond Green is leading his team in assists as a power forward on a team with the league's best point guard.

I'm sure I'm missing more. Which ones have blown your mind this year?

look! big kids
03-31-2016, 01:06 AM
Westbrook as of his previous game is putting up 23.7/7.7/10.4/2.1 in only 34.5 minutes (what?) on a career high .556 TS%.

And he has high turnovers, still very poor defense, and high minutes, but James Harden's offensive domination is in my opinion unfairly overlooked: Overall, 28.6/6.4/7.5/1.7 on .596 TS%. In the past 32 games (mid-January on) he’s putting up 30.1/7.1/8.5/2.0/0.6 on .618 TS%; come on, it's ridiculous.

I mention those two because I feel the historically anomalous statures of those data is a bit taken for granted. Obviously what Westbrook’s doing hasn’t been done since Oscar, and Harden’s basic statline + TS% has been put up ever only by Lebron, Jordan, and Bird.

Apart from those two, Durant is somewhat quietly putting up another really tremendous season. Amazing to think the former three played on the same team for a while.

Obviously, and rightfully, Steph and the Warriors (in that order, in my opinion) claim the majority of the superlatives, with the Spurs (again deservedly) taking much of the rest of the credit. About San Antonio, I’d remark that it’s an anomaly that a team play so damn well seemingly without caring about their own statistical extraordinariness.

Scoots
03-31-2016, 04:42 PM
Westbrook as of his previous game is putting up 23.7/7.7/10.4/2.1 in only 34.5 minutes (what?) on a career high .556 TS%.

And he has high turnovers, still very poor defense, and high minutes, but James Harden's offensive domination is in my opinion unfairly overlooked: Overall, 28.6/6.4/7.5/1.7 on .596 TS%. In the past 32 games (mid-January on) he’s putting up 30.1/7.1/8.5/2.0/0.6 on .618 TS%; come on, it's ridiculous.

I mention those two because I feel the historically anomalous statures of those data is a bit taken for granted. Obviously what Westbrook’s doing hasn’t been done since Oscar, and Harden’s basic statline + TS% has been put up ever only by Lebron, Jordan, and Bird.

Apart from those two, Durant is somewhat quietly putting up another really tremendous season. Amazing to think the former three played on the same team for a while.

Obviously, and rightfully, Steph and the Warriors (in that order, in my opinion) claim the majority of the superlatives, with the Spurs (again deservedly) taking much of the rest of the credit. About San Antonio, I’d remark that it’s an anomaly that a team play so damn well seemingly without caring about their own statistical extraordinariness.

I was going to point out that Westbrook is having a statistically superior season than the Big-O's famous triple-double season ... you kind of beat me to it.

I'm also amazed that Steph has made it to April with the most dominant offensive season ever (by some metrics) ... I expected it to slip as the season progressed.

The Spurs defense this year is FAR out in front of the rest of the league. I don't think any 1 team has been that much better on D than the 2nd best team since the 93 Knicks in a broken league (thank you Pat Riley).

valade16
03-31-2016, 04:53 PM
Larry Bird was 2 blocks away from 100 to join Draymond in that club and KG was 5 assists away as well.

Shady66
03-31-2016, 05:18 PM
All the triple doubles. Zach Randolph got one not too long back, it seems like anybody can get a triple double in this day of NBA. Before you could expect them from lebron, j jidd, grant hill, but now you get all these random ones.

phantasyyy
03-31-2016, 05:24 PM
Its pretty impressive that Kobe has managed to shoot worse than last season.. I mean I wasn't expecting vintage Kobe but I sure as hell thought he'd be shooting better than 35.5% from the field and 28% from the 3 on 16 attempts.

Not trying to bash him but it really is impressive that its worst that last season.. I would've thought he'd go out a little more gracefully... but that's kobe for you :D

JasonJohnHorn
03-31-2016, 05:52 PM
All the triple doubles. Zach Randolph got one not too long back, it seems like anybody can get a triple double in this day of NBA. Before you could expect them from lebron, j jidd, grant hill, but now you get all these random ones.

I feel like 3D games were more common in the 90's (have to fact check that).

But the C's were WAY more likely to get double-digits in blocks than they are today, and if that happened, it was often a triple-double..

But the 80's and 90's had so many guys that could pull off a 3D game: Bird, Magic, Dr. J, Jordan, Pippen, Drexler, Hakeem, D-Rob, Barkley, K Malone.... and you had point guards that would have a big night on the glass now and then like KJ or Mookie.... I remember seeing 3D's fairly often. Certainly not less.

Z-Bo's I was surprised by because he had never been much of a passer, but he has improved his game in that respect in Memphis.

But this generation has a crop of guys who are good at getting 3Ds as well, Westy and Green especially, but LBJ, KLove, and Durant and Rondo as well.... and Blake and CP3 are usually good for a couple. KLove not so much now, but in Minny when he got the ball more.

I think it has been harder in recent years because there have been fewer possessions, but teams like 'Antoni's/Nash's suns and the current GSW team have sped the game up a lot.

DODGERS&LAKERS
03-31-2016, 06:01 PM
Its pretty impressive that Kobe has managed to shoot worse than last season.. I mean I wasn't expecting vintage Kobe but I sure as hell thought he'd be shooting better than 35.5% from the field and 28% from the 3 on 16 attempts.

Not trying to bash him but it really is impressive that its worst that last season.. I would've thought he'd go out a little more gracefully... but that's kobe for you :D

Let me get this straight. You think you're going to be better after tearing your Achilles, breaking your leg, and having shoulder surgery and missing pretty much two years in a row at the age of 37? How? The steroid years really fooled everyone huh? Guys don't actually get better at 40 like Barry Bonds in real life.

DODGERS&LAKERS
03-31-2016, 06:02 PM
For me I think it's the fact that Derrick Favors leads the league in consecutive games with a 3-pointer. I had no idea that he had that record.

basch152
03-31-2016, 06:08 PM
For me I think it's the fact that Derrick Favors leads the league in consecutive games with a 3-pointer. I had no idea that he had that record.

What? Curry has the record, he broke korvers record of 127 a few weeks ago.

Shammyguy3
03-31-2016, 06:33 PM

brain fart?

TrueFan420
03-31-2016, 06:54 PM
brain fart?
Certainly hope so only other explaination is a stroke. And that's no bueno.

DODGERS&LAKERS
03-31-2016, 07:47 PM
What? Curry has the record, he broke korvers record of 127 a few weeks ago.

brain fart?

Certainly hope so only other explaination is a stroke. And that's no bueno.

Haha. I use text to talk when I post and I was standing near the tv. I was watching sportscenter and they must have said his name or I read it and said it like a dummy. I meant Steph and I was suprised that Korver gave it up. I thought he was still going

phantasyyy
03-31-2016, 08:34 PM
Let me get this straight. You think you're going to be better after tearing your Achilles, breaking your leg, and having shoulder surgery and missing pretty much two years in a row at the age of 37? How? The steroid years really fooled everyone huh? Guys don't actually get better at 40 like Barry Bonds in real life.

Yeah as a matter of fact even with those injuries I expected him to shoot better than 37%.

DODGERS&LAKERS
03-31-2016, 09:54 PM
Yeah as a matter of fact even with those injuries I expected him to shoot better than 37%.
So you expect him to be as good as a 26 and 28 year old Allen Iverson who shot 38% those years with one Achilles? At 37? Based on what?

Scoots
03-31-2016, 11:59 PM
So you expect him to be as good as a 26 and 28 year old Allen Iverson who shot 38% those years with one Achilles? At 37? Based on what?

I bet Kobe thought he'd shoot better.

DODGERS&LAKERS
04-01-2016, 12:22 AM
I bet Kobe thought he'd shoot better.

I bet Kobe still thinks he's the best player in the league. But alpha male athletes are dumb that way.

But anyone who knows basketball would know that Kobe was going to suck. I didn't think he would make it through the year. And from all reports from the reporters in the locker room if this wasn't his last year he would have stopped playing in January due to his shoulder. The year after he came back from the Achilles showed that he had no athleticism left. Hes not even playing basketball this year. He doesn't even attempt defense and he just catches and shoots from behind the arc or settles for a long jumper. So if you get no layups and the defender doesn't even worry about you putting the ball of the floor, you are taking long contested jump shots.

Here is a link showing the downfall of players after they blow their Achilles. Kobe and Billups are the oldest players to suffer it and try to return.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/fantasy-basketball-today/25095586/history-not-kind-for-ruptured-achilles

JAZZNC
04-01-2016, 12:31 AM
The fact that Steph Curry is probably gonna make more 3s this year than Isaiah Thomas did in his entire career.

The fact that the Spurs might get 70 wins resting players all the time.

Those are two of the more mind blowing stats to me.