PDA

View Full Version : Dell Demps Second-Guessing Decision To Replace Monty Williams With Alvin Gentry

spreadeagle
03-26-2016, 04:09 PM
The New Orleans Pelicans made the playoffs last year, but Dell Demps still fired Monty Williams and was hoping Alvin Gentry would take the team to the next level.

Gentry was coming off a successful season as an assistant coach with the Golden State Warriors and received considerable credit for their offense.

"Demps was unhappy with former coach Monty Williams, who did an incredible job with that team a year ago winning 46 games and reaching the playoffs. Williams was fired and Dell Demps hired Alvin Gentry as his coach. Sources tell me that he spent way too much of this year second-guessing his own hire of a head coach, often in very public ways within earshot of players, staff and even opponents. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-woj-report--pelican-problems-132654855.html

Scoots
03-26-2016, 05:24 PM
Sounds like Demps is sabotaging his own hire. The Pelicans are a poorly run team. They need a better training staff first ... can't blame the coach for the ragged play of a team that can't stay healthy ... that was true for Monty and it's true for Alvin.

JasonJohnHorn
03-27-2016, 01:27 PM
Sounds like Demps is sabotaging his own hire. The Pelicans are a poorly run team. They need a better training staff first ... can't blame the coach for the ragged play of a team that can't stay healthy ... that was true for Monty and it's true for Alvin.

I think the difference is that Monty got 46 wins out of a team that was injury plagued all year.

Over 82 games:
Gordon missed 21
Anderson missed 21
Jrue missed 42
AD missed 14

Gentry, up until when AD went out for the season, had had both Anderson and Jrue for nearly all the games, and AD as well. Only Gordon missed significant time, and he missed significant time last year.

Given that the conference, outside of SAS and GSW, is doing worse than last season, one would expect a HEALTHY Pelicans team to be improving on their 46 wins and taking advantage of how much worse teams like the Rockets, Mavs, Clippers, and Grizzlies (all of whom had 50 wins last year, and none of whom will be secure that this season with the exception of perhaps the Clippers) are. Sure, the Jazz, Nuggets and Kings will all have more wins this season than last, but none are playing as well as the Pelicans did last year. The Pelicans should be trouncing those teams.

Gentry was a bad pick. Plain and simple. Monty knew the roster, and had them improving every year. I had a thread about it at the time when he was fired, and made another when Gentry was the guy they announced. Unless they were able to bring in a guy like Thibs, who would be a clear improvement, staying the course with Gentry was their best option.

Scoots
03-27-2016, 01:50 PM
Gentry is a good assistant ... not too surprising he's not proving to be a great head coach ... again.

But the Pelicans biggest issue is not the coach ... it's the health of the players.

Shady66
03-27-2016, 04:10 PM
Gentry is a good assistant ... not too surprising he's not proving to be a great head coach ... again.

But the Pelicans biggest issue is not the coach ... it's the health of the players.
What do you mean again? Last time he was a head coach he brought them to the WCF and rejuvenated that team.

He's just a bad fit for this team plain and simple

Scoots
03-27-2016, 04:37 PM
What do you mean again? Last time he was a head coach he brought them to the WCF and rejuvenated that team.

He's just a bad fit for this team plain and simple

Gentry was previously head coach of the Pistons for 3 years, the Clippers for 3 years, then the Suns for 5 years. In 12 years as a head coach his record is 361-416 with a single season over .600 and only 3 total seasons over .500 in all that time.

He's a good coach, but as a head coach he fails to win half his games 3 times more often than not.

And please correct me if I'm wrong, but Alvin's last head coaching gig was the 2013 Suns and they didn't make the playoffs as he was fired at 13-28 and replaced by Lindsay Hunter who didn't have a much better record.

Gentry didn't get a fair shake to coach a team because the team is so injured. The biggest issue is the health of the players and from what I've heard the training staff is bad.

Shady66
03-27-2016, 04:46 PM
Gentry was previously head coach of the Pistons for 3 years, the Clippers for 3 years, then the Suns for 5 years. In 12 years as a head coach his record is 361-416 with a single season over .600 and only 3 total seasons over .500 in all that time.

He's a good coach, but as a head coach he fails to win half his games 3 times more often than not.

And please correct me if I'm wrong, but Alvin's last head coaching gig was the 2013 Suns and they didn't make the playoffs as he was fired at 13-28 and replaced by Lindsay Hunter who didn't have a much better record.

Gentry didn't get a fair shake to coach a team because the team is so injured. The biggest issue is the health of the players and from what I've heard the training staff is bad.
I was talking about when be took over for Terry Porter and completely turned them around. Your right though.

Scoots
03-27-2016, 04:57 PM
I think the difference is that Monty got 46 wins out of a team that was injury plagued all year.

Over 82 games:
Gordon missed 21
Anderson missed 21
Jrue missed 42
AD missed 14

Gentry, up until when AD went out for the season, had had both Anderson and Jrue for nearly all the games, and AD as well. Only Gordon missed significant time, and he missed significant time last year.

Given that the conference, outside of SAS and GSW, is doing worse than last season, one would expect a HEALTHY Pelicans team to be improving on their 46 wins and taking advantage of how much worse teams like the Rockets, Mavs, Clippers, and Grizzlies (all of whom had 50 wins last year, and none of whom will be secure that this season with the exception of perhaps the Clippers) are. Sure, the Jazz, Nuggets and Kings will all have more wins this season than last, but none are playing as well as the Pelicans did last year. The Pelicans should be trouncing those teams.

Gentry was a bad pick. Plain and simple. Monty knew the roster, and had them improving every year. I had a thread about it at the time when he was fired, and made another when Gentry was the guy they announced. Unless they were able to bring in a guy like Thibs, who would be a clear improvement, staying the course with Gentry was their best option.

I think you meant Monty in that last sentence. I think Monty did a good job last year and didn't think Gentry was an upgrade overall. I think he works better as a coordinator.

That said, a bad record is often not the fault of the coach. The Rockets brought back a WCF roster for the most part and they were terrible with the same coach. The Pelicans seemed lost early and often getting up to speed with Gentry. I don't know that the players were the right ones for his coaching, but they were so disjointed due to the constant injuries that they didn't really get a chance to find out.

The Pels need to have better players, they need healthier players, and they need a training staff who can get and keep them healthy. Until they do the coach can only make so much of a difference.

nastynice
03-28-2016, 04:01 AM
My only exposure to Monty was the first rd playoffs last yr, I actually thought he was a good coach. Despite the sweep, they were competitive and had some spurts of REALLY GOOD play. I was surprised when he was fired.

Altho most people thought it was the right move to fire him, I remember from the thread at that time. Maybe it was, I don't know, but we can all probably agree that gentry hiring wasn't that good.