PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Boban Marjanovic?

JasonJohnHorn
03-26-2016, 12:48 AM
Got to watch a couple of Spurs game this season, but didn't notice him much for obvious reasons: he only gets 8 minutes a game, and not even that many when the game is close.

But looking at his per36 stats, and his size, it seems like this guy is just waiting to blow up. Of course, that is hard to gauge because he plays a lot of garbage minutes.

Any Spurs fans or fans of the game who've really gotten a change to watch this guy care to weigh in on his potential? I mean, he's already 27, but he seems to be making the most of the minutes he gets. Can we expect to see something more from him?

kobe4thewinbang
03-26-2016, 01:35 PM
He played in one game and dropped almost 30 I think. I see him as possibly being the next Splitter for the Spurs, but more offensively talented. He made lots of nice shots and has good footwork for such a big guy. We'll see what the Spurs and Pop want to do with him, but I think he could get an elevated role. It's tough, though, since Diaw, Duncan and LMA are in the spotlight.

Edit: Well, I guess it wasn't 30, but I think this is the game I first saw him play well in. Looking this one up on youtube, I found some other nice games he's had.

Highlights - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP5cn6njNWA

Green_Monster
03-26-2016, 02:04 PM
He played in one game and dropped almost 30 I think. I see him as possibly being the next Splitter for the Spurs, but more offensively talented. He made lots of nice shots and has good footwork for such a big guy. We'll see what the Spurs and Pop want to do with him, but I think he could get an elevated role. It's tough, though, since Diaw, Duncan and LMA are in the spotlight.

Edit: Well, I guess it wasn't 30, but I think this is the game I first saw him play well in. Looking this one up on youtube, I found some other nice games he's had.

He's behind David West too. There's just no minutes to give to him currently. Maybe we'll get a better look next year.

JasonJohnHorn
03-26-2016, 02:23 PM

Man... I love how he doesn't even have to jump to block a shot. He blocked that shot and looked surprised.

I'm curious how consistent that 15-footer is. Obviously that's the 'highlights', so they don't show the misses, but the shots doesn't look 'smooth', though at that height, the style is less important than the results.

I'm not sure if that was just Philly's horrid defense, or the sheer dominance of his height, but in the post he seems to be able to keep the ball above his shoulders, and doesn't need much space to get a clean shot off, at least against Nerlens. And Jeez... even with his five inch flat-top, Boban looked like he had four inches on him. And Okafor looked like he was half a foot smaller.

You don't usually see a 7'3 guy that can move that well though.

Thanks for sharing!

ewing
03-26-2016, 03:17 PM
he has a great first name and i would caste him in a horror movie.

kdspurman
03-26-2016, 08:23 PM
Limited mobility so it's tough in today's game to find him time. But, he's very skilled for his size. Very good footwork, and he can knock down free throws! His hands are massive, but he has nice touch shooting. Hitting ft's at like a 75% clip.

He just put up 19 points in 14 minutes against Miami. Mainly whiteside, who last time committed a dirty play against Boban after being frustrated by him.

Here are some more highlights from earlier this week

https://youtu.be/E7sTHddC6Cc

There just aren't enough minutes for him now. Idk how many he can handle at his size, but he's usually quite productive on his limited minutes. Huge fan favorite (no pun intended)

JasonJohnHorn
03-26-2016, 11:06 PM
Limited mobility so it's tough in today's game to find him time. But, he's very skilled for his size. Very good footwork, and he can knock down free throws! His hands are massive, but he has nice touch shooting. Hitting ft's at like a 75% clip.

He just put up 19 points in 14 minutes against Miami. Mainly whiteside, who last time committed a dirty play against Boban after being frustrated by him.

Here are some more highlights from earlier this week

https://youtu.be/E7sTHddC6Cc

There just aren't enough minutes for him now. Idk how many he can handle at his size, but he's usually quite productive on his limited minutes. Huge fan favorite (no pun intended)

Please. That pun was TOTALLY intended ;-)

Auseranami
03-26-2016, 11:24 PM
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/gregg-popovich-boban-marjanovic-spurs

Pop's thoughts on boban.

IndyRealist
03-27-2016, 05:27 AM
Still incredibly raw and he's already 27. He'll improve simply by developing bball skills he doesn't have now, but he's not going to go Whiteside all of the sudden.

kdspurman
03-27-2016, 10:55 AM
Still incredibly raw and he's already 27. He'll improve simply by developing bball skills he doesn't have now, but he's not going to go Whiteside all of the sudden.

Incredibly raw? Nah.. he can play. Being he's already 27, idk how much he will improve. He needs work on little things, like keeping the ball high when he gets a pass in the paint or getting a rebound so opponents can't slap it away, screening, positioning in the post, defense, etc...

similar to Splitter when he came over. The guy can play,,and he proved it overseas. It's just an adjustment coming here where guys are far more athletic. Now idk if he can change and improve on the little things or not. But incredibly raw is definitely not an accurate assessment imo.

ewing
03-27-2016, 11:05 AM
Incredibly raw? Nah.. he can play. Being he's already, idk how much he will improve. He needs work on little things, like keeping the ball high when he gets a pass in the paint or getting a rebound so opponents can't slap it away, screening, positioning in the post, defense, etc...

similar to Splitter when he came over. The guy can play,,and he proved it overseas. It's just an adjustment coming here where guys are far more athletic. Now idk if he can change and improve on the little things or not. But incredibly raw is definitely not an accurate assessment imo.

i agree, he reminds me of Mureșan in that the question isn't can he play its can he change ends fast enough.

kobe4thewinbang
03-30-2016, 01:50 AM
He dropped 19pts the other night again. The dude could do more for this team compared to other members.

DboneG
03-30-2016, 09:31 PM
The thing is...teams will just put these big centers in pick and roll situations and eat them up. Roy Hibbert, , even Greg Monroe look lost up top in pick and rolls.