PDA

View Full Version : Superman: The Man of Yesterday

Gander13SM
03-23-2016, 10:48 AM
Slick reference there for the comic book/DC geeks^

So, Dwight Howard aka Superman is a free agent this year. I was mulling this over earlier and I've realised something. Who would actually want him?

On the surface if you told me there was a 6'10, 265lb center who could net you around 15 ppg and 12 rpg and is also a three time former DPOY, 4 time All-Defensive first team selection and a 5 time all NBA first team selection... who wouldn't want him?

But then there's the drama, this is a man who as a rookie wanted to "raise the name of God within the league and throughout the world". And has since been accused of having multiple illegitimate children (last count was 8 I believe?) and even abusing one of them. Oh and he tried to sue his baby momma for over $500 million for defamation of character, by telling everyone he was the father.

And that's just a portion of the off court stuff. Never mind this guy is wanting at least 14 FGA per game in an inside-out style offense similar to Orlando (which is odd that he thinks the system was so great after he got his coach fired).

Seriously, who is going to sign this man? Atlanta for the home town scenario? But their selfless team play wouldn't suit a player like Dwight. New York? Why bother, he'll get even less shots there. Lakers? Nope. Any legitimate contender? Doubtful. Maybe OKC if for some strange reason Durant wants him there before resigning.

So... where is he going? Or will he stay in Houston and perfect his plethora of post moves such as his infamous Drama Shake?

COOLbeans
03-23-2016, 11:49 AM
What does his religion and raising illigitimate kids have anything to do with one another? And especially, what does that have to do with basketball? lol

I was with you until you brought up his religion. I think a team like Charlotte, Washington or even Portland could use a guy like Dwight.

KnicksorBust
03-23-2016, 11:54 AM
Boston makes the most sense. He would go right to a contending team full of talented guards/wings and a phenomenal coach.

Dallas would be a great fit as well. Another good team with no one clogging up the paint on him.

Is it a guarantee he leaves Houston?

Gander13SM
03-23-2016, 12:21 PM
What does his religion and raising illigitimate kids have anything to do with one another? And especially, what does that have to do with basketball? lol

I was with you until you brought up his religion. I think a team like Charlotte, Washington or even Portland could use a guy like Dwight.

It's hypocritical to preach a Christian lifestyle while doing what he does.

When you sign a player you have to take into account who they are off the court. Do you really want a guy who betrays his entire beliefs in a heartbeat and abuses his son then tries to sue his girlfriend for 500 million? This all points to a bad person.

If you worked with someone who claimed to be a devout christian and it ended up he was hitting his kid with a belt and had seven other illegitimate children would you really trust him?

It has everything to do with basketball. These teams don't just sign you because you can play, if you're a headache off the court and a horrible human being odds are you will have to be GOAT level for most teams to consider you (look at Shaq and Jordan for example).

Tony_Starks
03-23-2016, 12:50 PM
To call out his Christianity or parenting is uncalled for. Stop judging unless you want to be judged.

On the basketball court he's not the good Ol Orlando Dwight. That day is dead.

Even so big men are so extinct that some desperate foolish team will overpay him. Not as much as he wants but still one last good payday.

Gander13SM
03-23-2016, 01:02 PM
To call out his Christianity or parenting is uncalled for.

No it isn't. This is a business. If a man is willing to betray his entire belief system seemingly overnight, how can you trust him not to betray you? It's a business decision, if anything it's what he does on the court that's completely irrelevant. I don't think you understand how the business side of this league works.

Acting out, having multiple illegitimate children etc all points to a person who can't settle (won't stay with your team), has no loyalty (won't stay with your team) and is prone to bad decision making, immature (not good for business). And then he does these things, and more, betraying his beliefs. That looks like a man with no integrity or gumption. It makes him look weak minded and weak willed. Not to mention the negative press and how it effects potential earnings off his name (that's how you make your money, off the players name).

That is a much bigger factor to a GM/Owner than his per game averages.

europagnpilgrim
03-23-2016, 01:08 PM
Slick reference there for the comic book/DC geeks^

So, Dwight Howard aka Superman is a free agent this year. I was mulling this over earlier and I've realised something. Who would actually want him?

On the surface if you told me there was a 6'10, 265lb center who could net you around 15 ppg and 12 rpg and is also a three time former DPOY, 4 time All-Defensive first team selection and a 5 time all NBA first team selection... who wouldn't want him?

But then there's the drama, this is a man who as a rookie wanted to "raise the name of God within the league and throughout the world". And has since been accused of having multiple illegitimate children (last count was 8 I believe?) and even abusing one of them. Oh and he tried to sue his baby momma for over $500 million for defamation of character, by telling everyone he was the father.

And that's just a portion of the off court stuff. Never mind this guy is wanting at least 14 FGA per game in an inside-out style offense similar to Orlando (which is odd that he thinks the system was so great after he got his coach fired).

Seriously, who is going to sign this man? Atlanta for the home town scenario? But their selfless team play wouldn't suit a player like Dwight. New York? Why bother, he'll get even less shots there. Lakers? Nope. Any legitimate contender? Doubtful. Maybe OKC if for some strange reason Durant wants him there before resigning.

So... where is he going? Or will he stay in Houston and perfect his plethora of post moves such as his infamous Drama Shake?

Plenty of teams would want him but not at this past deadline price since he gave no indication of opting in his final year of his current deal, drama comes with all sports, the best or top tier usually warrant the most media hyped drama, lesser known/accomplished players don't, just look at his resume you posted, that is not a average player of his generation, rather you agree or not

its plenty of players that have illegitimate children from all sports its just his got leaked, nothing new under the sun there, there is nothing wrong with raising the name of YAH throughout the world since we all should know the laws of YAH(you call it falsely GOD,thats a title like LORD)

14 FPG is peanuts when paying a guy on a current max deal and its not like this system in Houston is too far off from Orlando version, Harden is just better than others he played with there as a solo act

Seriously who wont be putting out offers for him if he opts out and becomes free to sign? Knicks or Nets or Rockets or Spurs(Duncan is pretty much done) or Mavs or Blazers and so on and on, now at what price is more of a question

Magic got his coach fired by in his early days so that's been going on for 30yrs and further back with players like Wilt I would imagine

The True Name Of God (YAH)

beasted86
03-23-2016, 01:19 PM
OP went off on a crazy tangent.

Anyway, Dwight can be a good fit with Charlotte. I mentioned this a few weeks back and still believe it.

He's a big upgrade over Big Al.

Chronz
03-23-2016, 01:20 PM
No it isn't. This is a business. If a man is willing to betray his entire belief system seemingly overnight, how can you trust him not to betray you? It's a business decision, if anything it's what he does on the court that's completely irrelevant. I don't think you understand how the business side of this league works.

Acting out, having multiple illegitimate children etc all points to a person who can't settle (won't stay with your team), has no loyalty (won't stay with your team) and is prone to bad decision making, immature (not good for business). And then he does these things, and more, betraying his beliefs. That looks like a man with no integrity or gumption. It makes him look weak minded and weak willed. Not to mention the negative press and how it effects potential earnings off his name (that's how you make your money, off the players name).

Religion is different man, it's why it's not allowed here. People betray their religious beliefs every day(often without knowing it), I'm willing to bet business operators are the same way.

Gander13SM
03-23-2016, 01:31 PM
Religion is different man, it's why it's not allowed here. People betray their religious beliefs every day(often without knowing it), I'm willing to bet business operators are the same way.

Most likely. But they're not the ones in the limelight, they're not the ones the people are going to judge.

Also I don't see why religion is off limits or why "it's different". Your religion is irrelevant, your ability to stand by your beliefs shows a high level of integrity, loyalty and faith. Traits Dwight is missing.

Again, if you're going into business with someone do you want a guy with the traits of Dwight? Blaming everyone else for his issues, immature, poor decision maker, no loyalty, no integrity, abusing his kid, betraying his beliefs, stirring the ****?

Who is desperate enough to risk the future of their franchise by signing someone with so many personal and emotional issues? That's what I'm asking. I'm not judging I'm saying who he is off the court reflects badly on him and hinders his value on the court. There's plenty of centers who can do what he's doing and don't come with half the baggage or any of the drama.

More-Than-Most
03-23-2016, 01:51 PM
How is his past/personal issues not relevant? Its 100 percent ****ing relevant... When you are investing in a free agent all of this stuff matters and all the people on their high horse about this are the same ones who throw Kobe under the bus/Iverson under the bus/Lebron under the buss every chance they get with some kind of off the field drama...

Its relevant period so just stop.

Scoots
03-23-2016, 02:12 PM

Most would assume a vocal advocate of increasing the image of Christianity would not be taking such careless care of his seed :) Every sperm is sacred.

Professional athletes who have a lot of children by multiple women tend to have attention issues and bring issues to the team that employs them. There is a clear trend. So that is an issue with his future contract.

Scoots
03-23-2016, 02:24 PM
Dwight's physical ability is certainly not what it once was either.

And not much heart at times and more often than before. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBE8gczjfaA

He gets caught cheating and his response is "I've never been a cheater"

He loses a playoff series, something every great player has had happen, and his response is "I'm still a champion"

He makes a low effort attempt on a play and blames teammates.

KD, Shaq, and Gary Payton have all called him out for being weak mentally, Kareem flat out called him stupid.

He's opting out of nearly $24M to get another big contract where he thinks he will be the center of attention ... but his game hasn't really grown in years.

He's good, but he's not good enough to wipe away all the on/off court stuff you have to deal with with him AND pay him a max contract. No way.

Shammyguy3
03-23-2016, 02:40 PM
Let's keep this on-topic and not discuss religion. If you're questioning Dwight's morality and his honesty and how that can impact his brand, a franchise if they sign him, and his production/team's production on the court that's fine.

Scoots
03-23-2016, 03:27 PM
Let's keep this on-topic and not discuss religion. If you're questioning Dwight's morality and his honesty and how that can impact his brand, a franchise if they sign him, and his production/team's production on the court that's fine.

I didn't think anybody was discussing religion itself, just that he was religious when convenient. Is that okay?

phantasyyy
03-23-2016, 04:58 PM
I mean he is putting up a really efficient 14.5pts/12rebs/1.1st/1.5blocks in 32 minutes.. I do think that the Rockets are misusing him or not using him enough as evidence by his 2nd lowest FGA since his rookie year at under 8.8 per game.

Its pretty crazy that the Orlando Howard was such an ironman, and pretty much had the entire team catered towards his skill set and thus averaged his highest amount of attempts there...Yet it wasn't enough for him and we had to endure the whole Dwightmare saga only for him to decline immensely since then.

That said there are slew of teams I think that would be interested in his services.. it just depends on whether or not he can accept a new role/pay structure... I for sure would not be interested in paying him the max as he is a player that relies heavily on his athleticism-which is in a heavy decline

COOLbeans
03-23-2016, 05:22 PM
It's hypocritical to preach a Christian lifestyle while doing what he does.

You're misinterpreting the entire message of Christianity by calling out another man's shortcomings in a public forum. I don't blame you though, people do it all the time, just shocked it was brought up in this capacity.

COOLbeans
03-23-2016, 05:26 PM
Most would assume a vocal advocate of increasing the image of Christianity would not be taking such careless care of his seed :) Every sperm is sacred.

Professional athletes who have a lot of children by multiple women tend to have attention issues and bring issues to the team that employs them. There is a clear trend. So that is an issue with his future contract.

I understand the smiley since we've rehashed this multiple times regarding another certain fellow who was connected o the dubs not too long ago. Again, we all fall short, and just because we're not perfect, doesn't mean we can't proclaim our chosen religion or talk about how our respective practice is making us a better person.

The entire message of Christianity is that it's a life long process that will never be mastered by ANYONE alive right now or ever will be. That's the entire point, people make mistakes, and it's OK for that same person to boldly proclaim what they believe is making them a better person. (This is also the American way btw :))

Whether someone is an adulterer or not, they can still be a Christian. Christianity has a TON of FORNICATORS, but people in America don't tend to care as much if the person isn't married. Again, an incorrect interpretation of the original message.

Gander13SM
03-23-2016, 06:22 PM

That's exactly what I am discussing. If he betrays his entire belief system why should a GM think he will be an honest and loyal member of a team?

And it clearly impacts your brand and your franchise when you get caught cheating and shrug it off, have several illegitimate children and rarely see any of them etc etc.

valade16
03-23-2016, 06:25 PM
The biggest reason to be hesitant to sign Dwight is his insistence of being a focal point of an offense via the post. He is scoring like .84 PPP in the post this season, among the worst in the league.

Tough to integrate and improve an offense when you don't accept your role or limitations.

Gander13SM
03-23-2016, 06:28 PM
I understand the smiley since we've rehashed this multiple times regarding another certain fellow who was connected o the dubs not too long ago. Again, we all fall short, and just because we're not perfect, doesn't mean we can't proclaim our chosen religion or talk about how our respective practice is making us a better person.

The entire message of Christianity is that it's a life long process that will never be mastered by ANYONE alive right now or ever will be. That's the entire point, people make mistakes, and it's OK for that same person to boldly proclaim what they believe is making them a better person. (This is also the American way btw :))

Whether someone is an adulterer or not, they can still be a Christian. Christianity has a TON of FORNICATORS, but people in America don't tend to care as much if the person isn't married. Again, an incorrect interpretation of the original message.

Yes. I've noticed that Americans allow athletes and celebrities away with more than they do the average person. It truly is the american way to allow the rich to do whatever they want however morally reprehensible .

I would like to know if you were starting a small business with someone would you pick the guy who was a devout christian that had abused his own son, had several illegitimate kids, was known for breaking rules/laws and shrugging it off, had shown no loyalty to anyone he had worked with before and outright refused to acknowledge all of his shortcomings?

I wouldn't.

But maybe I would just like to surround myself with a better quality of people in that regard \_(ツ)_/

mrblisterdundee
03-23-2016, 08:42 PM
Boston makes the most sense. He would go right to a contending team full of talented guards/wings and a phenomenal coach.

Dallas would be a great fit as well. Another good team with no one clogging up the paint on him.

Is it a guarantee he leaves Houston?

There's no guarantees. I think Dallas would be the single best fit for him at this point. There's a lot of shooters for him to kick out to, and a lot of veterans who won't be affected by his drama.

FlashBolt
03-24-2016, 06:40 PM
Really? Dwight Howard? A team that fits him... ZERO. I don't see a team capable of having Howard and winning unless you're the Warriors. It's quite simple.. he's poison. His Orlando days were amazing but he's not that player. You're investing in someone who is a total mess outside of the NBA and because no one cares about him anymore, he isn't as scrutinized as the other household names. Let's face it, a team willing to invest in Howard needs to take a serious look at themselves and what they value. Do they want to be a winning team with chemistry? Hard to say Howard can fit into that. Remember, he wanted to be the star in Houston but he's showcasing that he was never ready for it. People are saying he should get the ball more and that his FGA is dramatically down.. True, but that happens when you don't demand the ball. You really think his team isn't making an effort to give him the ball or are purposely avoiding him? Give me a break. 1) The guy isn't capable of scoring in bunches. He never took the time to develop a permanent scoring move. You look at all the great centers, they had a go-to move. Howard has none. 2) Why is his outside life unquestioned? When you hire someone, do you not care if he's a total psychopath outside of his working environment? Do you think the Spurs are looking for a loud mouth who thinks he is a champion because he was once an elite player? Yeah...

COOLbeans
03-24-2016, 06:45 PM
Dubs almost traded Klay Thompson and either Barnes or David Lee for him to the Lakers. Glad the Lakeshow turned that down lol

Scoots
03-24-2016, 06:59 PM
Dubs almost traded Klay Thompson and either Barnes or David Lee for him to the Lakers. Glad the Lakeshow turned that down lol

Don't think so. Could be wrong, but I never heard that.

smith&wesson
03-24-2016, 07:37 PM
I personally don't like him. But as a player he's still posting pretty good stats at 14 ppg 12 rpg 1.5 blk, shooting 61% from the field. I think a lot of teams can still use a player like him.

He is a head case though.. Things didn't end well in Orlando or in L.A, and now it really seems like its not working out in Houston either. did he and Harden really try to get each other traded at the deadline ?

smith&wesson
03-24-2016, 09:30 PM
I can actually see Howard playing well alongside Carmelo. They would sort of balance each other out.

Carmelo would be glad to have him in NY because he is desperate for help and also Howard is a good help defender.

Howard could return to relevance under the spotlight in NY. He would probably be utilized better in the triangle offense.

They could rebuild the team around Melo, Howard, and Prozingis. They would need to get an upgrade at the pg spot though and shore up some kind of a bench.

COOLbeans
03-26-2016, 04:50 PM
Don't think so. Could be wrong, but I never heard that.

Coulda been Thompson and Bogut, but Thompson's name was definitely in the rumor. Dont think the Warriors wouldve done it, maybe floated by the LA media..

Scoots
03-26-2016, 05:09 PM
Coulda been Thompson and Bogut, but Thompson's name was definitely in the rumor. Dont think the Warriors wouldve done it, maybe floated by the LA media..

There's a long way from a rumor which may have been made up by LA media to "Dubs almost traded" ... but anyhow ... thank God it didn't happen.

5ass
03-26-2016, 08:08 PM
Who is the better player today, Dwight Howard or Deandre Jordan?

JasonJohnHorn
03-26-2016, 11:11 PM
I still don't get what was so impressive about his 'superman' dunk? I mean, it wasn't even a dunk?

But yeah..... he's a great scorer off the pick-and-roll, but he doesn't want to do that. I remember his fist three years, seeing those 20/20 games he'd put up with half his points coming from offensive rebounds he put back up. He was such an efficient scorer before he got his ego.

The drama he's caused. And the fact he's putting feelers for others teams (according to reports) for free agency really puts me off. Guys like KD take the right stand. Don't talk about it. Just re-assert that all you are interested in is winning now and doing what your team needs you to do.

He's going out saying he wanted to be traded to the Bucks and suggesting he'd like to play for NY?

He should go back to LAL not that Kobe's gone.

Scoots
03-27-2016, 12:20 AM
Who is the better player today, Dwight Howard or Deandre Jordan?

DJ, if for no other reason than that he doesn't say or do as many stupid things ... but in addition to that he's more athletic, healthier, and younger.

IBleedPurple
03-27-2016, 01:26 AM
How is his past/personal issues not relevant? Its 100 percent ****ing relevant... When you are investing in a free agent all of this stuff matters and all the people on their high horse about this are the same ones who throw Kobe under the bus/Iverson under the bus/Lebron under the buss every chance they get with some kind of off the field drama...

Its relevant period so just stop.This. Those blasting the OP for bringing up off-court issues are ignorant. It has a LOT to do with how much Dwight will get paid.

COOLbeans
03-28-2016, 02:55 PM
There's a long way from a rumor which may have been made up by LA media to "Dubs almost traded" ... but anyhow ... thank God it didn't happen.

True that. After reading that I think I got 2 rumors mixed up. I think I was thinking about the Dubs considering Thompson for Love which for me is the same thing. But not sure if they ever considered moving him for Howard.

da ThRONe
03-28-2016, 08:14 PM

I'll probably be one of the few people who will agree with you. When that kind of money is involved everything is fair game. You better believe if my job and reputation was on the line I'm taking everything into account.

kobe4thewinbang
04-01-2016, 06:48 PM
I still think some team will bite on him because of the popularity/ticket sales he would bring to a team that is in need of some buzz, and he's still a serviceable big man. Don't expect much from him. He's one grade above Hibbert at this point, and even Hibbert had 12 points against Miami. Dwight had 7 against the Bulls in what was an important playoff-hopes game.

Like the majority thinks, Dwight Howard is a shell of the Finals-reaching player he was in Orlando. And he's a bonehead. The off-court stuff does play a role with PR and whatnot, so I don't think the Jazz would ever sign him for example. That Magic team was tailor-fit for Howard and he lashed out against it, biggest mistake. Then he had a chance to be the man in LA past Kobe's career, and he flew the coop to be second-fiddle to Kobe Jr in James Harden, who rumors say Howard dislikes. Brooklyn, Dallas, etc, all tried to get him and some reason he chose Houston.

I mean, c'mon, the guy clearly has issues that bleed onto the court.

People think Boston wants him, but I think they'd want Horford first. That, and wow, imagining Howard as a Celtic probably makes Bill Russell and Larry Bird need a cold one. The question is, will Howard budge on his "max contract request"? I think the jury is out on whether Rockets FO even wants him back, especially on a long-term deal again with his declining play and horrid consistency. He does sell tickets, though.

So, Celtics, maybe Hornets? If Dwight wants to be the focal point of an offense in a league where everything is changing, he's in for a reality check. Maybe a trade to the Bucks for MCW? Dunno who else Bucks would want to part with with their hydra of Giannis, Parker & Middleton. And they already have Monroe.

Maybe move Parker back to SF since Kidd said Giannis will be the starting PG next season.

Giannis
Middleton
Parker
Dwight
Monroe

I guess the Bucks get better? Not sure what Houston gets back.

FlashBolt
04-01-2016, 09:21 PM
I still think some team will bite on him because of the popularity/ticket sales he would bring to a team that is in need of some buzz, and he's still a serviceable big man. Don't expect much from him. He's one grade above Hibbert at this point, and even Hibbert had 12 points against Miami. Dwight had 7 against the Bulls in what was an important playoff-hopes game.

Like the majority thinks, Dwight Howard is a shell of the Finals-reaching player he was in Orlando. And he's a bonehead. The off-court stuff does play a role with PR and whatnot, so I don't think the Jazz would ever sign him for example. That Magic team was tailor-fit for Howard and he lashed out against it, biggest mistake. Then he had a chance to be the man in LA past Kobe's career, and he flew the coop to be second-fiddle to Kobe Jr in James Harden, who rumors say Howard dislikes. Brooklyn, Dallas, etc, all tried to get him and some reason he chose Houston.

I mean, c'mon, the guy clearly has issues that bleed onto the court.

People think Boston wants him, but I think they'd want Horford first. That, and wow, imagining Howard as a Celtic probably makes Bill Russell and Larry Bird need a cold one. The question is, will Howard budge on his "max contract request"? I think the jury is out on whether Rockets FO even wants him back, especially on a long-term deal again with his declining play and horrid consistency. He does sell tickets, though.

So, Celtics, maybe Hornets? If Dwight wants to be the focal point of an offense in a league where everything is changing, he's in for a reality check. Maybe a trade to the Bucks for MCW? Dunno who else Bucks would want to part with with their hydra of Giannis, Parker & Middleton. And they already have Monroe.

Maybe move Parker back to SF since Kidd said Giannis will be the starting PG next season.

Giannis
Middleton
Parker
Dwight
Monroe

I guess the Bucks get better? Not sure what Houston gets back.

Well, any team that realistically wants to win wouldn't pay Howard max dollars unless they have terrible management. Nothing of this man's character shows an attempt at winning. Who the hell wants their "franchise" player thinking that he's already a champion when he hasn't won anything? I think Howard is contempt with just being a good player and making as much money as he can. Maybe Atlanta will take him just cause he's from there but you can't find me one guy willing to say, "DWIGHT'S PLAYING, LET'S BUY TICKETS." Maybe in Orlando but not since then.