PDA

View Full Version : Watched some classic Manu videos today online

sheesh
03-21-2016, 08:57 PM
Manu was such an exciting player back in the day. His slashing was just so fun to watch. His moves and his skill and unorthodox style was electric. This guy was a show every night.

In the mid 2000s I clearly remember saying to myself that's it, if I need a 2 guard for seven games give me Manu. I thought prime Manu was better than Kobe Bryant.

Chronz
03-22-2016, 09:03 AM
You should watch his breakout game vs la and their big4 while he carries an injured spurs team

KnicksorBust
03-22-2016, 11:24 AM
Is there anyone that thinks playing for the Spurs hurt his legacy?

Chronz
03-22-2016, 11:40 AM
How does his career go if the Spurs never match Denver's hilariously low offer?

KnicksorBust
03-22-2016, 11:43 AM
How does his career go if the Spurs never match Denver's hilariously low offer?

I was setting you up for the long obnoxious post. Don't lob it back at me.

sheesh
03-22-2016, 12:12 PM

Not really. Yea he'd be ranked higher if he got full starter minutes and the number 1 option. But that's just for the talking head idiots.

Manu is respected just fine. His legacy is that he's a basketball legend. His brilliance was his complete unselfishness to maximize the Spurs. And while he did it he was about as entertaining as it gets.

Scoots
03-22-2016, 12:36 PM
What would their careers been had they come to the NBA when they were younger. Manu and Sabonis are the guys that always come to mind for me. Manu only lost 4 years before coming to the NBA, Sabonis I think lost 10 years and his knees.

Has any other great player waited 4+ years to come to the NBA and been as successful?

KnicksorBust
03-22-2016, 02:42 PM
What would their careers been had they come to the NBA when they were younger. Manu and Sabonis are the guys that always come to mind for me. Manu only lost 4 years before coming to the NBA, Sabonis I think lost 10 years and his knees.

Has any other great player waited 4+ years to come to the NBA and been as successful?

Tragically short but Dražen Petrović comes to mind.

Scoots
03-22-2016, 02:58 PM
Tragically short but Dražen Petrović comes to mind.

Yeah ... he was just showing greatness when it ended. Tragic indeed.

Hawkeye15
03-22-2016, 05:42 PM
I am sure the video was chalk full of his snake like drives to the rim, and vicious hair flailing drawing fouls

Scoots
03-22-2016, 06:33 PM
Without Manu there is no Harden so there is something we can blame him for :)

kdspurman
03-22-2016, 07:13 PM
Manu was a different kind of flopper than Harden lol plus he was a freak competitor on both ends of the floor. He was so fun to watch, and every now and then he still shows us some magic.

One of the best passers at the 2 guard to lace em up

nico916
03-22-2016, 07:47 PM
There was no need for him to be on another team he was their main scorer back in the day and Second most important player for them for a really long time even when Pop did the craziest thing in the world at the time which was have him come off the bench. Manu being 100% cool with that says a lot about how great he was and if you wanted to see what he would look like on a team where he was the number 1 guy just check out what he would do playing for Argentina. I think we have seen him at his very best imo I dont think you could have squeezed anything more out of him Pop gave him a green light that many of his players did not have.

nico916
03-22-2016, 07:53 PM
Manu was a different kind of flopper than Harden lol plus he was a freak competitor on both ends of the floor. He was so fun to watch, and every now and then he still shows us some magic.

This and I would take a Prime Manu over Harden any day. Manu played defense and his flopping happened a lot on the defensive end he didnt need to do it on offense because he was taking it to the hoop when the league was still using their bigs and those bigs would hard foul on purpose to discourage guys so no need to draw a foul if they wanna give it up.

nastynice
03-22-2016, 08:30 PM
Without Manu there is no Harden so there is something we can blame him for :)

Manu was a different kind of flopper than Harden lol

lmao!! I was thinking euro step!

sheesh
03-22-2016, 11:11 PM

You're right about the passing. It was brilliant. But he also just had so many moves. The arsenal was just so varied and you never knew what he was going to do.

Prime Manu I don't think would have been possible in today's game. Now it's all about dribble drive blow by's because there is just no defense allowed. You can't play defense anymore today. And 3 pointers. It's just so easy to jack up 3 pointers now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LTgStJw9ao

Scoots
03-22-2016, 11:39 PM

For sure ... and Manu got in people's heads a lot better than Harden too.

Gander13SM
03-22-2016, 11:50 PM
You're right about the passing. It was brilliant. But he also just had so many moves. The arsenal was just so varied and you never knew what he was going to do.

Prime Manu I don't think would have been possible in today's game. Now it's all about dribble drive blow by's because there is just no defense allowed. You can't play defense anymore today. And 3 pointers. It's just so easy to jack up 3 pointers now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LTgStJw9ao

Defenses now are far more complex than what they were when he entered the league. And it isn't easy to jack up 3s, people are just better at it now.

Bostonjorge
03-23-2016, 12:04 AM
Ginobili!!!!!!