PDA

View Full Version : Which team seems better: Golden State or San Antonio?

mrblisterdundee
03-21-2016, 02:24 AM
After the game Saturday, it seems as if San Antonio has the code. The best defense met the best offense, and the Spurs held the Warriors 39 points below their season average, and Stephen Curry 16 below his.
Which team do you think is better, and why?

mrblisterdundee
03-21-2016, 02:47 AM
Golden State will have the best record, but I think San Antonio has the edge in match-ups. They just know how to gunk up Golden State's engine and slow the entire pace of a game to a crawl, while playing excellent perimeter defense.
Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green are possibly the best tandem to throw at the Splash Brothers. LaMarcus Aldridge shot right over the Warrior's small roster, and Boris Diaw stood in as center while Tim Duncan basically rode the pine. The Spurs didn't even need much from Kevin Martin or David West to keep up.
Draymond Green always impresses me with how versatile he is, nearly getting a triple double in Golden State's slowest game of the season. But if he's the best player for Golden State in the game, they're probably not winning.

IKnowHoops
03-21-2016, 03:09 AM
I think GS is better by the Spurs may be better head to head...meaning GS will beat more teams by more point than the Spurs, but in the matchup of the two...man I'm not sure.

nico916
03-21-2016, 03:36 AM
Actually the Spurs beat their teams by more bro. IMO I think the Spurs are better I see hardly any flaws in the Spurs where as I see some flaws in GS but GS is so loaded and teams get discouraged against them that most teams cant take advantage of those flaws except for the Spurs. Spurs hold teams to 92pts a game and GS allows 104pts and that is a huge difference. That doesnt mean that GS is bad defensively though its just really impressive that the Spurs can hold teams to that when the league is faster and smaller and their team is older, the play a lot more bigs and half of their roster is much slower than GS full roster. Kenny Smith made a point a while back that I was explaining to my brother in law who is a Warrior fan and thats that the Spurs will beat you in the 1qtr by 6 or 7 then the next qtr they get you by 5 ot 6 so you go into the half down 10 to 12. Then it repeats again the next half and then your team has a loss of 20 or more. They dont do it in a flashy way they dont do it with heavy minutes on their starters they use almost the entire roster through out the whole game and not just in garbage time. Nobody executes like them they almost never rush themselves even under pressure. They will beat you playing any style and at any tempo. I think if you were to try and see which team would be the first to win less than 50 games a season from here on out with most of its main pieces intact it would be GS and I cant rmember the last time the Spurs have won less than that.

ClutchTime
03-21-2016, 06:49 AM
In all honesty, if these 2 teams meet up in the Western Conference Finals, I'm picking the Spurs.

KnicksorBust
03-21-2016, 07:58 AM
And then in Golden State the Warriors will win and everyone will swing back to Gstate. It's not a game by game thing. The most interesting part of that game was how Pop coached Duncan. Was that a regular season psych out or will he ACTUALLY go with LMA and Diaw and barely play his HoF player?

mngopher35
03-21-2016, 12:27 PM
And then in Golden State the Warriors will win and everyone will swing back to Gstate. It's not a game by game thing. The most interesting part of that game was how Pop coached Duncan. Was that a regular season psych out or will he ACTUALLY go with LMA and Diaw and barely play his HoF player?

My guess is bogut and ezili will play a little Ina playoff series and Duncan would get more time then. They spent a lot of time in small ball last game where diaw fits in a bit better.

I still think golden state wins but both teams are truly great. It would be surprising if one of them didn't win it all.

Vee-Rex
03-21-2016, 01:19 PM
And then in Golden State the Warriors will win and everyone will swing back to Gstate.

lol yup

ewing
03-21-2016, 01:22 PM
the Warriors seem better right now. I hope we get to see them in a series and see who steps up

mrblisterdundee
03-21-2016, 01:33 PM

It's all about match-ups. Aldridge is a great center when a team needs to play small ball. He shot right over the top of any Golden State defender. If Bogut plays more, expect Duncan to follow suit.

KnicksorBust
03-21-2016, 02:18 PM
It's all about match-ups. Aldridge is a great center when a team needs to play small ball. He shot right over the top of any Golden State defender. If Bogut plays more, expect Duncan to follow suit.

I can't imagine Pop thinking "I can only play Tim Duncan if they go big with Andrew Bogut." The more likely scenario over the last 20 years or so would be Kerr thinking "I need to go with Bogut so Duncan/LMA doesn't destroy us inside." But doesn't that seem backwards? The fact that GState dictates the lineups and Pop has to react is pretty astounding.

kdspurman
03-21-2016, 02:27 PM
I can't imagine Pop thinking "I can only play Tim Duncan if they go big with Andrew Bogut." The more likely scenario over the last 20 years or so would be Kerr thinking "I need to go with Bogut so Duncan/LMA doesn't destroy us inside." But doesn't that seem backwards? The fact that GState dictates the lineups and Pop has to react is pretty astounding.

That is a big reason why he didn't play this game. You saw all the switching they were doing, Tim as great a rim protector he is, isn't mobile enough to defend on the perimeter.

I will say, this is just Game 2 of Pop experimenting with certain game plans against the Warriors. Next game, TD could play his usually amt of minutes, and Pop will see if that works. In 2013 when we met GS in the playoffs, Diaw had a big series, and they came back to win Game 1 with Duncan on the bench after being down big. Of course they did go on to win other games with Duncan in there during that series, but really it can change from game to game. It's not outrageous to go with lineups that put the team in better position to win. Pop is just seeing what he should/shouldn't to tbh. And he did technically still play "big", just with a more mobile big

KnicksorBust
03-21-2016, 02:37 PM
That is a big reason why he didn't play this game. You saw all the switching they were doing, Tim as great a rim protector he is, isn't mobile enough to defend on the perimeter.

I will say, this is just Game 2 of Pop experimenting with certain game plans against the Warriors. Next game, TD could play his usually amt of minutes, and Pop will see if that works. In 2013 when we met GS in the playoffs, Diaw had a big series, and they came back to win Game 1 with Duncan on the bench after being down big. Of course they did go on to win other games with Duncan in there during that series, but really it can change from game to game. It's not outrageous to go with lineups that put the team in better position to win. Pop is just seeing what he should/shouldn't to tbh. And he did technically still play "big", just with a more mobile big

At this point it's tough for me to see Tim Duncan as a situational player. I truly believe that the more sound strategy played by the super team will win over a 7 game series. This is what happened with the Warriors and Cavs last year. They figured out the Cavs and I believe if they had to play another 10 games the Warriors would have won 9 out of 10. It wasn't as close as 4-2 makes it sound. That's why I'm struggling with a potential Spurs/Warriors match-up where Duncan is better as a 10 minute bench filler. The idea that his minutes would fluctuate game to game like a Jamal Crawford just doesn't make sense.

That being said there is no coach in NBA History that has proven to be more dominant with random lineups than Gregg Popovich so who knows. However, that typically ends at the end of the regular season. We will see what he does these next 2 regular seasons. All I know is I will be watching. :)

kdspurman
03-21-2016, 02:45 PM
At this point it's tough for me to see Tim Duncan as a situational player. I truly believe that the more sound strategy played by the super team will win over a 7 game series. This is what happened with the Warriors and Cavs last year. They figured out the Cavs and I believe if they had to play another 10 games the Warriors would have won 9 out of 10. It wasn't as close as 4-2 makes it sound. That's why I'm struggling with a potential Spurs/Warriors match-up where Duncan is better as a 10 minute bench filler. The idea that his minutes would fluctuate game to game like a Jamal Crawford just doesn't make sense.

That being said there is no coach in NBA History that has proven to be more dominant with random lineups than Gregg Popovich so who knows. However, that typically ends at the end of the regular season. We will see what he does these next 2 regular seasons. All I know is I will be watching. :)

Ha, yea I get it. But yea, they did figure out the Cavs cause the Cavs only tried to play them 1 way. (Not to mention our team is more versatile to score than those Cavs were, and less predictable) But this is why I believe we'll see Pop try a few different strategies out these next couple games. In their first meeting, he went to a zone defense and they went on a little run. (at some point when the game was kinda sorta within reach, I think in the 3rd) But that could be something he jotted down as a potential wrinkle to throw in at some point.

That's what he does, and he's proven to have success. Sure there's been some times it didn't work out, but overall the guy gets it. He sees something works, he won't show it a lot and he'll let his assistants know to write it down for later. He didn't even have Kawhi guarding Curry, he had him on Draymond to prevent that 1-4/1-5 P&R that they like to do a lot. But if they do meet in the playoffs, I think there's no doubt Kawhi would guard him at some points. It's just really about knowing what you can/can't do ahead of time.

SPURSFAN1
03-21-2016, 03:26 PM
Spurs no doubt.

aman_13
03-21-2016, 03:33 PM
The Warriors could of really used Bogut and Iggy that game. I like the Warriors in this inevitable series.

Bogut is someone who can guard Aldridge and is key to creating plays when Curry is being hedged.

aman_13
03-21-2016, 03:37 PM
The Warriors will also be able to throw Ezili out there as he should be ready to play when they meet up.

I just don't see the Spurs winning this series.

The thing about their last matchup is as bad as the Warriors looked, they still had a chance to win that game. Curry as bad as he played still got off shots that he normally makes. The Spurs did a good job trapping him but I wouldn't say they got him off his comfort zone. It sounds ridiculous but Curry makes tough shots as we all know.