PDA

View Full Version : AD Shut Down For The Rest Of The Year

Dade County
03-20-2016, 04:41 PM
Someone please save him... Any GM please.

Shoulder & knee.

Dade County
03-20-2016, 04:51 PM
The Pelicans star will not play again this season, the team announced Sunday. Davis has http://es.pn/1XFtY8p *-via ESPN http://es.pn/app

CHANGO
03-20-2016, 04:56 PM
I have been saying he is injury prone, I would be worried if I was a Pelicans fan, he gets injured way too frequently. Hope next season will be better for him.

da ThRONe
03-20-2016, 04:59 PM
I have been saying he is injury prone, I would be worried if I was a Pelicans fan, he gets injured way too frequently. Hope next season will be better for him.

Yeah it's looking like it might be an Amar'e Stoudmire type deal.

IamAlwaysRight
03-20-2016, 05:16 PM
that whole joke of a franchise is a bust. Why did they name it such a clown name. They should've known it wouldn't work and that none of the players would play hard for them.

JasonJohnHorn
03-20-2016, 06:28 PM
Was there a specific injury? Or is this just being cautious?

STRIKERC
03-20-2016, 07:37 PM
And let the tank war begin.

rufo4100
03-20-2016, 10:19 PM
Not a surprise. NO can tank last 3 weeks and try and get a better draft pick while getting AD ready for next season with the surgery he is getting.

Aust
03-21-2016, 12:00 AM
Beating the Clippers today won't help a tank.

Him playing in the Olympics is also in doubt.

mrblisterdundee
03-21-2016, 02:04 AM
Anthony Davis is still young enough that the Pelicans should build their team with the expectation he'll be back next season. In the meantime, they can suck enough to get a lottery pick. Ryan Anderson's value is going to skyrocket this season heading into his free agency.

More-Than-Most
03-21-2016, 02:54 AM
Lol but yo this isn't tanking right? :rolleyes:

KnicksorBust
03-21-2016, 08:04 AM

It's not the same as the Sixers. That's for sure.

STRIKERC
03-21-2016, 11:44 AM

No worries, they can hate all they want.
It's tanking season now and teams are going to try to lose all kinds of ways. We knew this was gonna happen and we got a head start.

DboneG
03-21-2016, 03:53 PM
These organizations like the Pelicans and 6ers, think that their training/medical staff is sufficient, when they are not. Also, these new players don't want to spend money for a personal trainer. It cost thousands per hour. Either AD will have to get a top-notch personal trainer like Tim Grover, or change his game.

MonroeFAN
03-21-2016, 04:32 PM
It's not the same as the Sixers. That's for sure.

agreed, we should nip that comparison in the bud right away.

More-Than-Most
03-21-2016, 08:32 PM
agreed, we should nip that comparison in the bud right away.

Tanking is tanking period... Their mindset is to lose games in a division where the 8th is still on the table... I dont mind it but again its not tanking unless the sixers are doing it.

5ass
03-21-2016, 10:19 PM
Tanking is tanking period... Their mindset is to lose games in a division where the 8th is still on the table... I dont mind it but again its not tanking unless the sixers are doing it.

"Tanking" for a few months or at most a year is acceptable. Doing it for three years isn't. I can't believe you haven't figured it out yet. Like I seriously think you're intentionally trying to play dumb. Sorry for being so rude, but its too obvious, and has been explained time and time again. Honestly you should've just kept that discussion away from this thread because in a couple of pages some sixers fan is going to complain about how everyone is a "hater".

Scoots
03-22-2016, 01:24 PM
Why isn't more of a big deal made about the Pels using the Saints trainers for their players? The concepts are different between football and basketball and the Pels always seem to lead the NBA in missed games. Eventually someone has to notice and think about correlation.

Hawkeye15
03-22-2016, 01:29 PM

you are correct, tanking is tanking. But there are variations of it. Going into a season without any plan to compete so you can secure as high of a draft selection as possible, is for sure different than a team that was intent on competing, suffering injuries, and shutting a player down once they know they are no longer a threat for the playoffs. Is there some desire for the 2nd team to secure a higher pick? Probably. But it wasn't the intent of the whole season.

But it's still a tank. Sure.

Scoots
03-22-2016, 01:58 PM
The trade deadline should be pushed at least a month later in the season so teams who are trying to win can have more data before they have to decide to tank. It wouldn't reduce the number of teams tanking, but it would possibly delay the tanking until later in the season.

The Pels could trade away their assets now if not for the trade deadline, and that would then allow them to get better faster.

KnicksorBust
03-22-2016, 02:38 PM
The trade deadline should be pushed at least a month later in the season so teams who are trying to win can have more data before they have to decide to tank. It wouldn't reduce the number of teams tanking, but it would possibly delay the tanking until later in the season.

The Pels could trade away their assets now if not for the trade deadline, and that would then allow them to get better faster.

Are we even sure the Pelicans are going to tank any harder/faster with AD out?

STRIKERC
03-22-2016, 02:42 PM
Are we even sure the Pelicans are going to tank any harder/faster with AD out?
That's the key word.
It doesn't matter how you dress it up.

Tony_Starks
03-22-2016, 02:45 PM
I don't see what the Pelicans are doing as tanking at all. If they were still in heavy competition for the 8th spot he'd still be playing.

They made a playoff push but once it became obvious it wasn't hap'nin its just smart to shut him down. At this point you'd be just risking further injury for nothing.

KnicksorBust
03-22-2016, 02:49 PM
That's the key word.
It doesn't matter how you dress it up.

My point is that are we even sure they are going to tank? Or do you believe an injured player sitting out counts as tanking? :laugh:

Hawkeye15
03-22-2016, 02:50 PM
I don't see what the Pelicans are doing as tanking at all. If they were still in heavy competition for the 8th spot he'd still be playing.

They made a playoff push but once it became obvious it wasn't hap'nin its just smart to shut him down. At this point you'd be just risking further injury for nothing.

Like I said above, still tanking though. Tanking means you are not putting yourself in the best position to win, or trying to win. Shutting down a player who can still play, is tanking.

Now, it's not nearly the same as entering a season looking to waste it so you can score more young talent in the draft. But once a team knows they are out, we see it all the time, all of a sudden players are shut down with a sore knee. Not saying AD is this, he might legit need to be shut down for the betterment of his future. But damn straight a team prefers to have a pick 5 spots higher if possible. The Wolves did it all the damn time with Love. With 18-20 games to go, he sat with an "inflamed knee" or some crap, we were essentially trying to secure as high of a pick as possible after another failed attempt to be competitive. But that is absolutely different than not even trying to compete in the first place, sure.

Scoots
03-22-2016, 02:56 PM
Shutting down a player who can still play, is tanking.

This ... but not always. For example, the Warriors shut Ezeli down for 2 months to get him readiest for the playoffs rather than trying to get him on the floor sooner and increasing the risk of him missing the playoffs.

For the Pels ... it's tanking.

Tony_Starks
03-22-2016, 04:02 PM
There's a difference between a player that's worn down but can still play and a player who is legitimately hurt and is basically playing at his own peril. While AD can technically still play it serves absolutely no benefit becuase they are losing with him regardless, why risk further damage?

They are really bad already, are the 2 or 3 more games they lose because AD is out going to really make a difference in the grand lottery scheme of things?

Now if they had shut him down at allstar break, you got me.

The bigger question to me would be did they shut him down to avoid the chance of paying that bonus?

If he would've made all nba team again he gets the Derrick Rose bonus, would've boosted his contract up over $15 mills I believe....

Scoots
03-22-2016, 04:44 PM
There's a difference between a player that's worn down but can still play and a player who is legitimately hurt and is basically playing at his own peril. While AD can technically still play it serves absolutely no benefit becuase they are losing with him regardless, why risk further damage?

They are really bad already, are the 2 or 3 more games they lose because AD is out going to really make a difference in the grand lottery scheme of things?

The bigger question to me would be did they shut him down to avoid the chance of paying that bonus?

If he would've made all nba team again he gets the Derrick Rose bonus, would've boosted his contract up over $15 mills I believe....

If they had shut him down at the all-star break it would have been to save the bonus money, AND to tank.

I understand what you are saying about there being no point to him playing, but that's true for every vet on every NBA team that isn't going to make the playoffs.

In this case shutting him down is a win for everyone. He gets his surgery, they lose some more games without pressure, maybe develop some other players, get to get a good idea of what the roster needs, and hope to have him back at 100% by the start of next season.

Hawkeye15
03-22-2016, 04:47 PM

The Pels are still willingly increasing their chance to lose their remaining games. By definition, that is tanking.

Now, by doing this, it may increase their chances of winning games next year, so tricky how it works in application.

But I agree with you more or less (again, throwing in the towel with 20 games to go is a lot different than throwing it in with 82 to go), just trying to get my point across haha.