PDA

View Full Version : 8th seed discussion

Ironman5219
03-18-2016, 10:22 AM
In the west there is a tight race between Memphis, Portland, Houston, Dallas, and Utah for playoff seating. The East is even tighter. What team makes the playoffs, what seed do they get, and who gets left out? Discuss

DboneG
03-20-2016, 11:41 AM
In the west there is a tight race between Memphis, Portland, Houston, Dallas, and Utah for playoff seating. The East is even tighter. What team makes the playoffs, what seed do they get, and who gets left out? Discuss

East...fighting for the 8th spot.
Chicago
Detroit
Washington

All three teams are playing uninspired basketball. Chicago..full of injuries. Detroit...Reggie Jackson not consistent enough, Andre Drummond can play only 31/2 quarters because he can't hit free throws. Washington...John Walls don't shoot well, too many TO's, average players, average bench,average coach.

Who cares, they will be meat for Cleveland.

West....fighting for the 8th spot.
Dallas
Utah
Denver...don't really have a chance the way they are playing.

Dallas...I would think would be the favorite to get this last spot. Dirk is doing all he can to will them there. Head case Deron Williams should just retire. Wes Matthews is not right, Chandler Parsons is not right, something is going on with both guys. Utah...is starting to jell, Gordon Hayward is having a good season, other guys are playing very well...no superstar on this team. That being said. If they make the playoffs with no superstar, there might be a shift in thinking in the NBA..Boston, Utah.

ClutchTime
03-20-2016, 01:42 PM
It's going to come down to the wire in the west. My team is the Rockets but we aren't going anywhere even if we do get the 8th seed.

IamAlwaysRight
03-20-2016, 03:36 PM
Memphis has about a 5 game lead dude. Have you even looked at the standings. They pretty much have the 5 seed and it's not that close.

MrfadeawayJB
03-20-2016, 05:37 PM
Memphis always gets disrespected. Nothing new here.

ClutchTime
03-20-2016, 08:43 PM

If the season ended today you would be playing the Clippers. I don't mind Memphis. Never did. Would like to see them advance past LA if that's who they play. I wouldn't worry. Not sure why the OP mentioned your team as a possible 8 seed. As of now you have a 5 game lead ahead of the 8 seed in the west. You're in good shape to make the playoffs. Again, it goes back to what you said, they don't get the respect they deserve.

rufo4100
03-20-2016, 10:18 PM
I dont see Dallas making playoffs in the West. Dallas has very difficult schedule down the stretch and has a couple of games coming up against Utah and if Utah can win those games I think Dallas is the odd team out. Having said this Memphis is so dinged up that they might actually be the team that comes close to not making it but I ultimately think that Memphis holds on.

I see Detroit as the team that does not make playoffs out east. Surging Washington and Chicago getting healthy

KnicksorBust
03-21-2016, 11:54 AM

Your coach beat LeBron/Kyrie/Love with a lineup of:

Mario Chalmers
JaMychal Green
P.J. Hairston
Tony Allen
Ryan Hollins

He gets nothing but respect from me. :clap: But the Grizz aren't doing anything in the playoffs this year thanks to these injuries.

MrfadeawayJB
03-21-2016, 12:07 PM

Your coach beat LeBron/Kyrie/Love with a lineup of:

Mario Chalmers
JaMychal Green
P.J. Hairston
Tony Allen
Ryan Hollins

He gets nothing but respect from me. :clap: But the Grizz aren't doing anything in the playoffs this year thanks to these injuries.

Once Gasol got hurt it really killed the chances of a championship run. But honestly it's probably gonna be between GS and SA.

ClutchTime
03-21-2016, 01:21 PM
In the East I would like to see Detroit make it in as an 8 seed.

Ironman5219
03-21-2016, 06:20 PM
If the season ended today you would be playing the Clippers. I don't mind Memphis. Never did. Would like to see them advance past LA if that's who they play. I wouldn't worry. Not sure why the OP mentioned your team as a possible 8 seed. As of now you have a 5 game lead ahead of the 8 seed in the west. You're in good shape to make the playoffs. Again, it goes back to what you said, they don't get the respect they deserve.

Oh chill out, when I made this thread, Portland was on a win streak and most of Memphis starters were injured. No disrespect to Griz fan's, I actually really like their Defense and team approach to the game, it is a shame that Gasol is hurt, as I do believe they would have been a dark horse in the west.

I love this time of year because for these teams the playoffs are now, every game matters... probably true whomever gets the 7th or 8th will get swept in either conference, but I think there is something to be said when you get playoff status vrs just barely missing out. It makes the final weeks on the NBA fun to watch.

Gander13SM
03-21-2016, 06:39 PM
I think Dallas and Portland would give the Warriors a little bit of a scare sort of like New Orleans, they would end up getting swept, MAYBE 4-1 at a stretch but a couple of the games will be really tight up until the last 5 minutes (or the Dubs will build up a huge lead and then throw it away and Curry will have to play a 4th quarter, which we all know he hates doing).

ClutchTime
03-21-2016, 07:32 PM

Oh chill out, when I made this thread, Portland was on a win streak and most of Memphis starters were injured. No disrespect to Griz fan's, I actually really like their Defense and team approach to the game, it is a shame that Gasol is hurt, as I do believe they would have been a dark horse in the west.

I love this time of year because for these teams the playoffs are now, every game matters... probably true whomever gets the 7th or 8th will get swept in either conference, but I think there is something to be said when you get playoff status vrs just barely missing out. It makes the final weeks on the NBA fun to watch.

I wasn't trying to be mean about it. Sorry if you took that comment the wrong way but I agree with this time of the year being the most important. It shows which teams want it more and especially with how tight the conference is for the final couple spots in the East and West just makes it that more fun to watch.

Ironman5219
03-21-2016, 07:50 PM
I wasn't trying to be mean about it. Sorry if you took that comment the wrong way but I agree with this time of the year being the most important. It shows which teams want it more and especially with how tight the conference is for the final couple spots in the East and West just makes it that more fun to watch.
Respect back to you.... If you're and NBA fan, you love this time of year!

Shammyguy3
03-22-2016, 07:48 PM
Indiana 37-33
Chicago 36-33
Detroit 37-34
Washington 35-35

Here are the remaining schedules
IND: NOP, @BRK, HOU, CHI, ORL, @PHI, @NYK, CLE, @TOR, BRK, NYK, @MIL
twelve games left, with 7 at home

CHI: NYK, @NYK, @ORL, ATL, @IND, @HOU, DET, @MIL, @MEM, @MIA, CLE, @NOP, PHI
thirteen games left, with 8 on the road

DET: ORL, CHA, ATL, OKC, DAL, @CHI, @MIA, @ORL, WAS, MIA, @CLE
eleven games left, with 7 at home

WAS: ATL, MIN, @LAL, @GSW, @SAC, @PHO, @LAC, BRK, @DET, CHA, @BRK, ATL
twelve games left, with 7 on the road

it's even tighter now for the 7th and 8th slots

DboneG
03-23-2016, 08:27 AM
West....fighting for the 8th spot.
Dallas
Utah
Denver...don't really have a chance the way they are playing.

Dallas...I would think would be the favorite to get this last spot. Dirk is doing all he can to will them there. Head case Deron Williams should just retire. Wes Matthews is not right, Chandler Parsons is not right, something is going on with both guys. Utah...is starting to jell, Gordon Hayward is having a good season, other guys are playing very well...no superstar on this team. That being said. If they make the playoffs with no superstar, there might be a shift in thinking in the NBA..Boston, Utah.

Wow! I was spot on in my Chandler observation. These organizations are horrible! D-Rose is another good example of playing/coming back too soon. That's why D-Wade told Anthony Davis to take his time coming back. Don't allow these money hungry organizations, with their on-the-payroll doctors dictate when you should come back.

That being said....I think Utah will get the final playoff spot. Dirk can't carry a team like he use to. And if he did will them to the 8th and final spot. He would have nothing left in the tank to take on the world champs. That match-up would be an embarrassment.

Shammyguy3
03-23-2016, 10:28 AM
How did Derrick come back too soon? When? He didn't play for a year and a half following his ACL tear. He played 6 games, tore his meniscus, and opted for the meniscus repair that put him out the rest of the following season.

I mean, geeze louize c'mon

DboneG
03-23-2016, 03:03 PM
How did Derrick come back too soon? When? He didn't play for a year and a half following his ACL tear. He played 6 games, tore his meniscus, and opted for the meniscus repair that put him out the rest of the following season.

I mean, geeze louize c'mon

Everyone's body is different. We all heal differently. It was obvious he needed more time because, his vertical jump was nowhere near the 40-44" they claimed he had. He wasn't making cuts like old, and he was favouring his other/strong leg. I just observe. And that's what I saw. What happened?! He got injured again.

Same thing for Chandler Parsons...I could see something wasn't right with him.

Shammyguy3
03-23-2016, 03:18 PM
Everyone's body is different. We all heal differently. It was obvious he needed more time because, his vertical jump was nowhere near the 40-44" they claimed he had. He wasn't making cuts like old, and he was favouring his other/strong leg. I just observe. And that's what I saw. What happened?! He got injured again.

Same thing for Chandler Parsons...I could see something wasn't right with him.

Maybe he just was never going to reach that vertical jump? Vince Carter, one of the greatest verticals ever, cannot jump that high. But he once did - is it because he came back too early from injuries or is it just natural age?

Favoring a leg or a foot or a certain side doesn't mean he was rushed back too soon. It means he wasn't psychologically aware of what happened and he didn't trust himself. That's NOT the same thing as being physically cleared to play.

Derrick Rose has made it clear countless times that it is his decision and his decision only when he wants to play. Nobody made him come back early, **** nobody could get him to comeback on time.

Rose got injured again because he's injury prone. He didn't get injured because he came back early, because early isn't even an accurate term to define the timetable he was on.

Even if your eyes show you something is wrong, whether they are correct or not, doesn't mean that player isn't 100% physically healthy, cleared, and able to play. It could mean that they don't trust themselves, which is something everyone that has experienced a sprained finger or ankle, let alone a surgery, experiences.

I just do not agree with you.

MonroeFAN
03-25-2016, 06:09 AM
I dont see Dallas making playoffs in the West. Dallas has very difficult schedule down the stretch and has a couple of games coming up against Utah and if Utah can win those games I think Dallas is the odd team out. Having said this Memphis is so dinged up that they might actually be the team that comes close to not making it but I ultimately think that Memphis holds on.

I see Detroit as the team that does not make playoffs out east. Surging Washington and Chicago getting healthy

I see Boston winning maybe 2 games without Crowder.

Detroit with 1.5 games over Chicago now.

ewing
03-25-2016, 06:19 AM
and the Bulls lose a home and home to the knicks. That's virtual elimination in my mind

MonroeFAN
03-25-2016, 06:22 AM
Thank you knickerbockers

Shammyguy3
03-31-2016, 10:35 PM
Eastern Conference
7. Detroit 40-35
8. Indiana 39-36

remaining schedules
DET: DAL, @CHI, @MIA, @ORL, WAS, MIA, @CLE --- 7 games, 4 on the road
IND: @PHI, @NYK, CLE, @TOR, BRK, NYK, @MIL --- 7 games, 4 on the road
CHI: DET, @MIL, @MEM, @MIA, CLE, @NOP, PHI --- 7 games, 4 on the road
WAS: @PHO, @LAC, BRK, @DET, CHA, @BRK, ATL --- 7 games, 4 on the road

CHI owns tie-breaker over IND i think, and DET owns it over CHI

Scoots
04-01-2016, 12:51 AM

Here comes the 8th seed.

Scoots
04-01-2016, 12:52 AM
Dup

MrfadeawayJB
04-01-2016, 10:41 AM

Here comes the 8th seed.

Well there has been even MORE injuries since that post. The fact that the Grizz still should make the playoffs is amazing given the fact that they might be the most injured team in nba history

Scoots
04-01-2016, 11:41 AM
Well there has been even MORE injuries since that post. The fact that the Grizz still should make the playoffs is amazing given the fact that they might be the most injured team in nba history

I wonder if that's a stat that can be looked up somewhere?

I might believe the most injured PLAYOFF team in NBA history though.

I'm guessing today's games have the Jazz winning and the Mavs/Griz losing.

mrblisterdundee
04-01-2016, 01:37 PM
In the west, I see Portland, Memphis, Utah and Dallas taking the fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth seeds, respectively. Memphis is too injury-riddled to stay ahead of a surging Portland team, but they're also too tough and far ahead in wins to fall out of the playoffs. Dallas is a way more cohesive and better-coached team than Houston.
In the east, I see Detroit and Indiana taking the final spots, which is probably good for Chicago, so it can get another lottery pick as it possibly moves on from Jimmy Butler and enters yet another rebuild.

Scoots
04-01-2016, 02:32 PM
In the west, I see Portland, Memphis, Utah and Dallas taking the fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth seeds, respectively. Memphis is too injury-riddled to stay ahead of a surging Portland team, but they're also too tough and far ahead in wins to fall out of the playoffs. Dallas is a way more cohesive and better-coached team than Houston.
In the east, I see Detroit and Indiana taking the final spots, which is probably good for Chicago, so it can get another lottery pick as it possibly moves on from Jimmy Butler and enters yet another rebuild.

But the toughest remaining schedulers are the Mavs and Griz ... the Griz can lose every game and make the playoffs, but Dallas has no margin.

kobe4thewinbang
04-01-2016, 06:36 PM
I'm pulling for Dallas. They play tough at home, and Barea thinks it's 2011 again. They got a good win the other night. Rockets should've beaten the Bulls, but Mirotic has been left open for threes in two games now (and Bulls beat Pacers and Rockets, so they might make it yet). I think Rockets are going to fall short, with no help from Dwight most likely (7 points in loss to Bulls). Pacers lost to Chicago--will that factor in?

Standings today:

EAST
Cleveland 53-22
Toronto 50-24
Atlanta 45-31
Miami 43-31
Charlotte 43-31
Boston 43-32
Detroit 40-35
Indiana 39-36
Chicago 38-37

I wonder how much slippage there could be. Does it depend on who beat who in the season? Because Miami, Charlotte & Boston all have 43 wins and the 8th seed contenders are very close.

Out west, same thing. Can Portland leap-frog Memphis? I think it'll be Portland, Memphis, Dallas & Utah (in that order).

Memphis 41-34
Portland 40-36
Dallas 37-38
Utah 37-38
Houston 37-39

Scoots
04-02-2016, 12:34 AM
Mavs and Jazz win.

MrfadeawayJB
04-02-2016, 08:32 PM

I wonder if that's a stat that can be looked up somewhere?

I might believe the most injured PLAYOFF team in NBA history though.

I'm guessing today's games have the Jazz winning and the Mavs/Griz losing.

They've had 28 players on their roster, the most ever since the mavericks had 27 I believe in '91 or '92. Not sure about games missed though.