PDA

View Full Version : Eduardo Rodriguez Not Available for Start of Season

RedSoxtober
03-17-2016, 02:48 PM
The Red Sox open their season in less than three weeks. Eduardo Rodriguez won’t be with them.

Manager John Farrell on Thursday confirmed that Rodriguez, nursing a patellar tendon injury, will not be ready to start the season.

“He is not going to be ready for the start of the season,” Farrell said. “So, like I said, we’ll address each phase as it comes. Most importantly, we want to make sure that his stride direction, his stride length, all of those are normal, as we then build the intensity on top of that.”

Rodriguez injured his right knee while shagging fly balls on Feb. 27. He threw off a mound on Wednesday and will do so again tomorrow, throwing bullpens every other day. He’s not ready to pitch in a game, however, and will need to build up to 90 pitches before he’s ready to start a big league game.

That takes time, though Farrell wouldn’t put a timetable on it.

“The best-case scenario is when he’s first ready and available,” Farrell said. “I’m not trying to avoid your question, but there are steps that we have to go through here, and I don’t have an exact number of days that he’ll have to advance through each of those phases. I can tell you this: Anytime we get a starting pitcher that goes out on rehab, you’re getting them to 80-90 pitches. You can’t bring them back with the potential that they overtax a bullpen. We’ve got to build to that point. He needs spring training.”weei.com