PDA

View Full Version : Did the Slam Dunk Contest actually help make Gordon and Lavine Future All-Stars?

KnicksorBust
03-17-2016, 11:42 AM
Aaron Gordon
Pre All-Star = 8ppg / 6rpg with shooting splits of 47/30/68 in 22mpg
Post All-Star = 13ppg / 8rpg with shooting splits of 53/31/68 in 22mpg

Zach LaVine
Pre All-Star = 13ppg / 3rpg with shooting splits of 43/34/80 in 24mpg
Post All-Star = 18ppg / 3rpg with shooting splits of 51/44/80 in 36mpg

To be honest I've never researched how a players performance has changed after winning an all-star event before but I couldn't help but notice how well both of them were playing and it made me wonder if their epic dunk contest gave them added confidence that has carried over into their regular season play. Thoughts?

STRIKERC
03-17-2016, 12:01 PM
Future All-Stars? Who knows, but Aaron Gordon has played with renewed confidence since all-star weekend.

aman_13
03-17-2016, 12:25 PM
Both have high ceilings so it's not a surprise that they are playing well. I'm not sure if there is a correlation between winning an NBA event and producing at a higher level afterwards. My guess is that there isn't.

Sportsguy9695
03-17-2016, 12:58 PM
I would they have definitely been playing with more confidence which makes total sense. and i see them only going up from here

Scoots
03-17-2016, 01:02 PM
Curry and Thompson showed BIG steps to their games after spending the summer with Team USA, another step with all-star invites, and a big step this year after winning the title. Confidence is very important in sports. Winning that dunk contest and having it talked about a ton ... that helps confidence a lot. They had the talent before, but now they are more comfortable taking the opportunities, and they are less likely to get down on themselves for mistakes.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2016, 01:52 PM
Aaron Gordon
Pre All-Star = 8ppg / 6rpg with shooting splits of 47/30/68 in 22mpg
Post All-Star = 13ppg / 8rpg with shooting splits of 53/31/68 in 22mpg

Zach LaVine
Pre All-Star = 13ppg / 3rpg with shooting splits of 43/34/80 in 24mpg
Post All-Star = 18ppg / 3rpg with shooting splits of 51/44/80 in 36mpg

To be honest I've never researched how a players performance has changed after winning an all-star event before but I couldn't help but notice how well both of them were playing and it made me wonder if their epic dunk contest gave them added confidence that has carried over into their regular season play. Thoughts?

Mitchell finally gave up on the Lavine at backup PG experiment, and plays him starter minutes at SG now. That is the biggest key. Lavine has the potential to be an excellent scorer.

phantasyyy
03-17-2016, 02:22 PM
The Tobias trade opened up the door for Gordon to do more, and Mitchell finally started playing Lavine more.. I think those two things are bigger factors than the dunk contest..

mngopher35
03-17-2016, 02:28 PM
Mitchell finally gave up on the Lavine at backup PG experiment, and plays him starter minutes at SG now. That is the biggest key. Lavine has the potential to be an excellent scorer.

The Tobias trade opened up the door for Gordon to do more, and Mitchell finally started playing Lavine more.. I think those two things are bigger factors than the dunk contest..

Yup, and I believe Vucevic has missed some time as well recently for Orlando.

For Lavine it is more just playing his natural position instead of trying to run an offense (leading to more time with Rubio/starters for easier looks too).

FOXHOUND
03-17-2016, 02:43 PM
I actually buy the confidence angle, that's an interesting aspect. I do agree with the others that their changes roles has just as much, if not more, to do with it. However, I think it helps from a different angle. LaVine and Gordon being Dunk Competition stars, and ones who will no doubt perform in at least one more each, helps from a public image standpoint. The All-Star game is a fan vote game, so any popularity they gain is a bonus.

Of course, they still have to become All-Star caliber players to warrant that type of voting, but it helps to be popular. There are plenty of All-Star caliber players who get snubbed because they simply aren't popular enough.

5ass
03-17-2016, 05:33 PM
Confidence is important for a young player. You can see Gordon's confidence has grown since the all star break, and it did increase his aggressiveness. So yes, it did help.

JasonJohnHorn
03-18-2016, 10:23 AM
It will have zero impact on their level of play.

It will, however, impact their popularity. If Lavine were playing in LAL or NY, he'd have been voted in this year.

Slam Dunk contest makes you popular. You can get voted in for being popular and be an 'All-Star' but not an All-Star calibre player (see Kobe Bryant in his sophomore season and each of the past three seasons as an example).

It does make teams take notice, and if a team is interested in selling merchandise, they may be more likely give a guy minutes if he is selling seats/jerseys. But those would be lottery teams.

Scoots
03-18-2016, 10:43 AM
It will have zero impact on their level of play.

You don't think that confidence has a role in how players play the game?

JasonJohnHorn
03-20-2016, 12:45 PM
You don't think that confidence has a role in how players play the game?

That's fair. But that buzz wears off. It's not like a guy going to be going around in November of next year saying: I won the dunk contest!

I think it is a popularity thing. GM's/coaches/owners take notice, because basketball is a business. If fans are more likely to buy tickets if a guy is going to do a 360 dunk or windmill in game, then they give that guy more minutes if they are in a rebuilding situation.

But thinking you will make the shot doesn't mean you will make it, just that you are more likely to take it.

Raps18-19 Champ
03-20-2016, 02:08 PM
It added some confidence but they would've made improvements without even being in the dunk contest.

IamAlwaysRight
03-20-2016, 03:42 PM
I don't really see enough signs from them to be All Stars ever in their career. Gordon is ok, but for his size he's not really. He's a legit 6'10 but only get like 7 rebounds per game and doesn't get to the offensive boards.

We'll talk when he averages like 19 and 12 for a month with 2 steals and 2 blocks. So far his best month is like 14 and 8 with like .9 steals and .9 blocks. he's already at the age where he should be dominating, but doesn't seem to want it.

I don't think he has a post game at all and that is what really holds him back. His post game is like one of the worst all time for a PF or any player when it needs to be at a David Robinson level...

PurpleJesus
03-20-2016, 04:12 PM
I can tell you that Lavine is certainly playing with a lot more confidence since the all star break. Seemed the same last year too. Being in the dunk competition and seeing the biggest stars in the game you play cheering you on, and giving you high fives could certainly boost ones confidence.

Other things contributing to Lavine's better post all star break play...
Being inserted into the starting lineup
Being done with the experiment at point, and playing primarily the 2.
Shortened depth chart, which allows Zach to play with the better players on the team.
Natural growth and maturation, physically and mentally from a teenager.

5ass
03-20-2016, 04:39 PM
I don't really see enough signs from them to be All Stars ever in their career. Gordon is ok, but for his size he's not really. He's a legit 6'10 but only get like 7 rebounds per game and doesn't get to the offensive boards.

We'll talk when he averages like 19 and 12 for a month with 2 steals and 2 blocks. So far his best month is like 14 and 8 with like .9 steals and .9 blocks. he's already at the age where he should be dominating, but doesn't seem to want it.

I don't think he has a post game at all and that is what really holds him back. His post game is like one of the worst all time for a PF or any player when it needs to be at a David Robinson level...

Lol you're so wrong...

He grabs 7 RPG because he doesn't average many minutes. Per 36 he's a double digit rebounder. Rebounding isn't an issue for him. Actually he's probably one of the best rebounder among starting power forwards. Better rebound rate than Millsap, griffin, draymond, Favors, ect.

He's already at an age where he should be dominating? You realise he's only 20? He's younger than Porzingis. He plays for hard *** coach and often doesn't get the minutes/touches required to put up crazy stats.

All time worst post game? Definitely not. He's not a very good post player right now, but he's not terrible at all. He has some nice moves, and really all he needs to do is post up smaller weaker guys. And having watched most of his games I can tell you he can do it, and will only get more consistent. He's not the type of big that plays in the post all the time anyway. He has some perimeter skills.

IamAlwaysRight
03-20-2016, 05:11 PM
Lol you're so wrong...

He grabs 7 RPG because he doesn't average many minutes. Per 36 he's a double digit rebounder. Rebounding isn't an issue for him. Actually he's probably one of the best rebounder among starting power forwards. Better rebound rate than Millsap, griffin, draymond, Favors, ect.

He's already at an age where he should be dominating? You realise he's only 20? He's younger than Porzingis. He plays for hard *** coach and often doesn't get the minutes/touches required to put up crazy stats.

All time worst post game? Definitely not. He's not a very good post player right now, but he's not terrible at all. He has some nice moves, and really all he needs to do is post up smaller weaker guys. And having watched most of his games I can tell you he can do it, and will only get more consistent. He's not the type of big that plays in the post all the time anyway. He has some perimeter skills.

Guess they're lying about his age. How does he start to College at 17 years old?

reguardless. Half the NBA is 20 years old in general. He's an old player in todays NBA.

He played 1 year at Arizona, and now is at then end of his second year at Orlando.

It's time he gets on the boards and it's been time he learns to post up. He'll never be a 20ppg player or even 18-19ppg until he is in the post 80% of the game like Barkley and all those guys. Even Charles Barkley thought he is underachieving in Orlando for his jumping ability.

Don't blame it on minutes either. He plays plenty of minutes both last season and this season. 17 mpg last and 23 this season and that is trending up to about 30 a game in the last 2 months. There is no excuse why he can't put up a 20/20 games every once in a while. Also his blocks steals and assist are VERY VERY LOW for someone that athletic.

A player of his jumping ability and age against other players his age (the nba today is mostly 20 year olds in general) should be averaging per 36 minutes

17-18ppg
12-14rebs
2-3 blocks
1-2 steals
2-3 assists
on 55% shooting

And overall should already be around
15ppg
10rebs
2blocks
1.2 steals
2 assist
55%

5ass
03-20-2016, 05:55 PM
Guess they're lying about his age. How does he start to College at 17 years old?

reguardless. Half the NBA is 20 years old in general. He's an old player in todays NBA.

He played 1 year at Arizona, and now is at then end of his second year at Orlando.

It's time he gets on the boards and it's been time he learns to post up. He'll never be a 20ppg player or even 18-19ppg until he is in the post 80% of the game like Barkley and all those guys. Even Charles Barkley thought he is underachieving in Orlando for his jumping ability.

Don't blame it on minutes either. He plays plenty of minutes both last season and this season. 17 mpg last and 23 this season and that is trending up to about 30 a game in the last 2 months. There is no excuse why he can't put up a 20/20 games every once in a while. Also his blocks steals and assist are VERY VERY LOW for someone that athletic.

A player of his jumping ability and age against other players his age (the nba today is mostly 20 year olds in general) should be averaging per 36 minutes

17-18ppg
12-14rebs
2-3 blocks
1-2 steals
2-3 assists
on 55% shooting

And overall should already be around
15ppg
10rebs
2blocks
1.2 steals
2 assist
55%
All that just to project to be an all star? He plays for scot skiles and along side multiple scorers, rebounders and ball handlers. He was stuck behind Harris, and plays along side a double digit rebounder in vucevic. I also like how you're discrediting him because of his athletic ability. Everyone in the NBA is athletic. Yes he has an advantage because he's an elite athlete but it doesn't make him superman. And as I explained he can post up smaller guys and he is a good rebounder. He's only 20. How is it old? Lol 20 isn't old, kid. He's in the same age group as most of the rookies this year.

IamAlwaysRight
03-20-2016, 05:58 PM
All that just to be an all star? He plays for scot skiles and along side multiple scorers, rebounders and ball handlers. He was stuck behind Harris, and plays along side a double digit rebounder in vucevic. I also like how you're discrediting him because of his athletic ability. Everyone in the NBA is athletic. Yes he has an advantage because he's an elite athlete but it doesn't make him superman. And as I explained he can post up smaller guys and he is a good rebounder. He's only 20. How is it old? Lol 20 isn't old, kid. He's in the same age group as most of the rookies this year.

they do lie about his age though. I was right. He'll be 21 in about 5 monthes yet on the site they say he'll be 21 in 10 months. They're lying.

What do you think an all star should be 14 and 8 on 48% shooting with low steals and blocks.

Please kid. That is the problem with the NBA today. kids today think a player is an all star after he score 2 points.

A real All Star PF is 19 and 12 all stars that get 2 blocks and 2 steals that are aware on defense.

They're ruining him and you know it. They're trying to make him into Peja Stojakovic or someone. Shooting nothing but threes wasting his atheleticism.

If he was a legit all Star at any point in his career he would already be averaging 15 and 10 with 2 bocks on that bad team.