PDA

View Full Version : Dion Waiters has lost 3 cousins, a best friend and now his brother to gun violence

blahblahyoutoo
03-16-2016, 09:39 PM
Damn... why didn't he get his brother out of the hood?
And why do they have different last names?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14987456/dion-waiters-rejoins-oklahoma-city-thunder-brother-funeral

Vee-Rex
03-16-2016, 09:48 PM

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14987456/dion-waiters-rejoins-oklahoma-city-thunder-brother-funeral

Dion isn't making BIG money (can't take care of everyone), and you can take the ***** out the hood but you can't take the hood out the ***** (I'm black btw, heh).

In all seriousness, you can't just throw money at someone and expect their lifestyle to suddenly change. You can move someone out the hood but they can still go back to the people they're familiar with. It's a terrible cycle and takes a lot more for someone to change their ways.

Raps18-19 Champ
03-16-2016, 09:57 PM

Different dads probably. I once saw an episode of The First 48 and this guy had 4 brothers all with different dads to the same mom.

blahblahyoutoo
03-16-2016, 10:08 PM
Dion isn't making BIG money (can't take care of everyone), and you can take the ***** out the hood but you can't take the hood out the ***** (I'm black btw, heh).

In all seriousness, you can't just throw money at someone and expect their lifestyle to suddenly change. You can move someone out the hood but they can still go back to the people they're familiar with. It's a terrible cycle and takes a lot more for someone to change their ways.

it's more about the company you keep than the money.
$2k can get you a nice apartment in the nice part of philly easily, and $2k/mo. is chump change to even Waiters.

More-Than-Most
03-16-2016, 10:36 PM
I am good friends with Meek mill... He grew up eating cheesecake from my mom... He lived on my block... That same block is all hood with dudes shooting each other up... He still till this day visits that spot and hangs there and on down the list... Nomatter how rich you are these stupid ****ers will always keep going back to their roots and their boys.

Raps18-19 Champ
03-16-2016, 10:45 PM
I am good friends with Meek mill... He grew up eating cheesecake from my mom... He lived on my block... That same block is all hood with dudes shooting each other up... He still till this day visits that spot and hangs there and on down the list... Nomatter how rich you are these stupid ****ers will always keep going back to their roots and their boys.

Surprised he goes back to the hood after he got murdered by Drake.

Vee-Rex
03-17-2016, 12:46 AM
it's more about the company you keep than the money.
$2k can get you a nice apartment in the nice part of philly easily, and $2k/mo. is chump change to even Waiters.

Think on a bigger scale.

Paying 2k a month isn't much, no.. It puts him in a decent spot, but what about his brother's day to day life? His job? His clothes, his expenses, his food, his hobbies, his kids, etc...

Is Dion gonna pay for all of that? What about Dion's cousin who he's closer to? His sister who he cherishes? His 2nd, third, and fourth best friends? His favorite uncle? His cousin's kids?

Add all that together, and get him to pay 2k a month for each one. Then, have him pay for all their expenses including clothes, food, hobbies, etc...

It's not as simple as you want it to be. I've ended up becoming somewhat 'wealthy' compared to my family, and there's no way you can simply give someone an apartment and not end up giving more. Once you start giving money all over it becomes difficult to stop.

One of the biggest pieces of advice some programs give to rookies and other players who become rich is to not give ANYTHING out for free, unless it's like your parents or something.

Anyway, not saying Dion couldn't have done anything for his brother, but let's not just assume that it was as simple as paying the man's rent somewhere out of the hood.

Saddletramp
03-17-2016, 05:04 AM
I have a buddy that has a kid with the cousin of Casey Hampton (long time Steelers nose tackle). Every time he visits his old stomping grounds down here in Galveston, he might throw a bar-b-que party or something but he doesn't throw his money around too much for family and friends. And everyone might complain a bit but everyone agrees that they'd do the exact same thing.

Quickest way for these guys to go broke is to support their extended family and their boys.

GiantsSwaGG
03-17-2016, 08:17 AM
Surprised he goes back to the hood after he got murdered by Drake.

Lol

GiantsSwaGG
03-17-2016, 08:18 AM

The point is to get out the hood, dudes going back no security thinking it's safe. RIP Stack Bundles and Chinx dudes gotta learn the hard way

IndyRealist
03-17-2016, 08:28 AM

Some people don't WANT to leave the hood no matter how much they complain about it. And some people being the hood with them. Shawne Williams had a mansion in Memphis and was letting a murder suspect hide out there.

(As i write this, i think i might have the details wrong, but the essence of the story is factual)

Munkeysuit
03-17-2016, 09:03 AM
May God bless he and his family for the losses, "blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted" I am sure Waiters will use this as some sort of motivation, lucky for him he has Basketball to focus on and it offered him somewhat of a safe haven away from the streets.

Vinylman
03-18-2016, 11:47 AM
Waiters needs to save his money ... he probably doesn't make it another 5 years in the league

Scoots
03-18-2016, 01:26 PM
I'm not a gun nut, don't own any guns, didn't grow up with guns, have lived in some bad neighborhoods, worked in bad neighborhoods ... why is it "lost to gun violence" rather than just "murdered"? When someone wants you dead the tool isn't really the thing is it? It just seems like using other people's pain to push a different agenda.

Vinylman
03-18-2016, 02:00 PM
I'm not a gun nut, don't own any guns, didn't grow up with guns, have lived in some bad neighborhoods, worked in bad neighborhoods ... why is it "lost to gun violence" rather than just "murdered"? When someone wants you dead the tool isn't really the thing is it? It just seems like using other people's pain to push a different agenda.

c'mon dude... its the narrative du jour....

This is the New ****ing Merica ... where everything is blamed except people's actions...

Captain Moroni
03-18-2016, 02:41 PM
It's the mindset, not the tool.

leafswin2011
03-18-2016, 02:44 PM
Think on a bigger scale.

Paying 2k a month isn't much, no.. It puts him in a decent spot, but what about his brother's day to day life? His job? His clothes, his expenses, his food, his hobbies, his kids, etc...

Is Dion gonna pay for all of that? What about Dion's cousin who he's closer to? His sister who he cherishes? His 2nd, third, and fourth best friends? His favorite uncle? His cousin's kids?

Add all that together, and get him to pay 2k a month for each one. Then, have him pay for all their expenses including clothes, food, hobbies, etc...

It's not as simple as you want it to be. I've ended up becoming somewhat 'wealthy' compared to my family, and there's no way you can simply give someone an apartment and not end up giving more. Once you start giving money all over it becomes difficult to stop.

One of the biggest pieces of advice some programs give to rookies and other players who become rich is to not give ANYTHING out for free, unless it's like your parents or something.

Anyway, not saying Dion couldn't have done anything for his brother, but let's not just assume that it was as simple as paying the man's rent somewhere out of the hood.

I guess the hope would be once Dion moves him out of the hood perhaps he could get a job...or at least sell some weed to keep himself afloat lol.

Tony_Starks
03-18-2016, 04:26 PM

They still let him kick it?

I would think after taking a L to a R & B singer he would've been disassociated.