PDA

View Full Version : Should the Cavs have fired Blatt?

JasonJohnHorn
03-16-2016, 07:27 AM
I realize players had issues with him, and it was apparently a 'relief' to have him gone, but they simply aren't playing that well under Lue

Lue is 17/8 (68%); Blatt was 30/11 (73%). They were on pace for 60 wins this season; now they are playing at the the same level as the Raptors (68%).

Sometimes bad relationships get worse; sometimes they get better. It's clear that whatever the issues were with Blatt, the team is not playing as well under Lue. What's more, they have mroe pieces available to them now than Blatt had.

Thoughts?

DboneG
03-16-2016, 08:03 AM
I realize players had issues with him, and it was apparently a 'relief' to have him gone, but they simply aren't playing that well under Lue

Lue is 17/8 (68%); Blatt was 30/11 (73%). They were on pace for 60 wins this season; now they are playing at the the same level as the Raptors (68%).

Sometimes bad relationships get worse; sometimes they get better. It's clear that whatever the issues were with Blatt, the team is not playing as well under Lue. What's more, they have mroe pieces available to them now than Blatt had.

Thoughts?

YES! YES! YES!!! HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED! He should have never been there in the first place! Blatt was losing the locker room, players weren't listening to him, and starting not to respect him. LeBron was changing the plays in the huddle. TIME TO GO!!! Please close thread

DboneG
03-16-2016, 08:34 AM
One thing I can say is: Cuddles to LeBron James! Because this guy has never had an elite coach, and he's still winning, still making it to the finals, still is winning championships with sub-par coaches.

1.) Paul Silas
2.) Brendan Malone
3.) Mike Brown
4.) Erik Spoelstra ....he's better now, but, sub-par when coaching LeBron.
5.) David Blatt
6.) Tyronn Lue

ewing
03-16-2016, 09:06 AM
YES! YES! YES!!! HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED! He should have never been there in the first place! Blatt was losing the locker room, players weren't listening to him, and starting not to respect him. LeBron was changing the plays in the huddle. TIME TO GO!!! Please close thread

are you OK sir?

Big Zo
03-16-2016, 09:25 AM
What they should of done is kept Wiggins, as i'll keep reminding Cav fans when LeBron is gone, and still no championships. :)

Vee-Rex
03-16-2016, 09:34 AM
What they should of done is kept Wiggins, as i'll keep reminding Cav fans when LeBron is gone, and still no championships. :)

CAVS got a better shot at a title than the heat. heat desperately need to rebuild or they'll go down with the building. :oldguy:

Cavs went 30% of the season without their starting backcourt and fired a coach and STILL might hit 60 wins. If that isn't impressive I don't know what is.

Yes, firing Blatt was necessary. The question is - is Tyronn Lue the right guy for the job? Good thing the Cavs didn't extend him. He'll be evaluated at the end of the season.

Kyben36
03-16-2016, 09:35 AM
Yes, but they needed a proven, respected coach, not a young player.

Kyben36
03-16-2016, 09:35 AM
Yes, but they needed a proven, respected coach, not a young kid

ewing
03-16-2016, 09:59 AM
Yes. LeBron wanted him fired and LeBron runs the franchise. why are we pretending there was a choice?

Big Zo
03-16-2016, 10:14 AM
CAVS got a better shot at a title than the heat. heat desperately need to rebuild or they'll go down with the building. :oldguy:

Cavs went 30% of the season without their starting backcourt and fired a coach and STILL might hit 60 wins. If that isn't impressive I don't know what is.

Yes, firing Blatt was necessary. The question is - is Tyronn Lue the right guy for the job? Good thing the Cavs didn't extend him. He'll be evaluated at the end of the season.

Nope. Heat don't do rebuilds. They simply sign/trade for star players. Besides, Whiteside, Winslow, Richardson, and Johnson are a good young core. A potential REALLY good young core, if/when Winslow develops a consistent jumper. The Cavs absolutely do not wanna play Miami in the playoffs.

Wade n Fade
03-16-2016, 10:53 AM
Firing Blatt is just only half the job. The other half is to get rid of JR Smith, Shumpert, Kyrie, Love, and the rest of the no-heart Cavs. Very few Cavs players actually play w/ heart. Delladova is one of the few that plays with heart.

JasonJohnHorn
03-16-2016, 11:06 AM
Nope. Heat don't do rebuilds. They simply sign/trade for star players. Besides, Whiteside, Winslow, Richardson, and Johnson are a good young core. A potential REALLY good young core, if/when Winslow develops a consistent jumper. The Cavs absolutely do not wanna play Miami in the playoffs.

Don't do rebuilds? I seem to remember a few years in the lottery ;-)

First round loss in round one in 01, two lottery seasons, and then back to the playoffs.

I give Rley credit because he's great and rebounding quickly, but lets not pretend that the entire reason he was able to get that first ring in Miami is because the Lakers had an internal crisis. Give Riley props, but let's not pretend they wouldn't have been in the finals had he not been able to take advantage of a team in crisis. Just like Memphis looking to dump Pau: had that not happened, Kobe would still only have the rings he got with Shaq.

Miami does rebuilds just like everybody else. The only team that hasn't had to rebuild in the last 30 years is the Spurs. Barring a season where D-Rob was down the entire year, they had a playoff team every year and didn't need to rebuild. Riley is great at recruitment, but he has twice had to rebuild that team. Just because he kept Wade and Haslem from that first team, doesn't mean that it wasn't a rebuild. Wade and Haslem were the only tw holdolvers, and they went through a lottery year, and two first-round knockouts because rebuilding their roster around two huge free agent signings.

That is a rebuild. Just because the process doesn't take as long with the Heat (at least since Riley has been there) doesn't mean that they weren't rebuilding.

And let's not forget where they were last year come playoff time: the golf course.

Tony_Starks
03-16-2016, 11:19 AM
Yes he should've been fired because Lebron didn't respect him, privately and even worse publicly. He was already treating Lue like his head coach anyway.

The should've put him out of his misery after the Finals tho. Just thank him for the job but start fresh with Lue.

To let him get trolled and undermined for a couple months, then fire him with the best record was both desperate and classless.

Dade County
03-16-2016, 11:42 AM
They should have made it clear to Lbj that Blatt is the coach and you need to respect him or we will sit you down for games (20 games).

Blatt never got to run his system or shape the team how he wanted; from day 1, Lbj was in charge.

The owner should have told Lbj we run the team not you and if you leave you leave.

Slug3
03-16-2016, 11:55 AM
One thing I can say is: Cuddles to LeBron James! Because this guy has never had an elite coach, and he's still winning, still making it to the finals, still is winning championships with sub-par coaches.

1.) Paul Silas
2.) Brendan Malone
3.) Mike Brown
5.) David Blatt
6.) Tyronn Lue

I don't think Spo is a sub par coach and thats the only Championships he's won with a coach so far. He might even of had 3 if he didn't shy away in the finals against Dallas.

Slug3
03-16-2016, 11:56 AM
They should have made it clear to Lbj that Blatt is the coach and you need to respect him or we will sit you down for games (20 games).

Blatt never got to run his system or shape the team how he wanted; from day 1, Lbj was in charge.

The owner should have told Lbj we run the team not you and if you leave you leave.

I am pretty sure the opposite happened with Gilbert and he told him he can run the team. I am sure its one of his many reasons to go back to the Cavs.

Big Zo
03-16-2016, 12:01 PM
Don't do rebuilds? I seem to remember a few years in the lottery ;-)

First round loss in round one in 01, two lottery seasons, and then back to the playoffs.

I give Rley credit because he's great and rebounding quickly, but lets not pretend that the entire reason he was able to get that first ring in Miami is because the Lakers had an internal crisis. Give Riley props, but let's not pretend they wouldn't have been in the finals had he not been able to take advantage of a team in crisis. Just like Memphis looking to dump Pau: had that not happened, Kobe would still only have the rings he got with Shaq.

Miami does rebuilds just like everybody else. The only team that hasn't had to rebuild in the last 30 years is the Spurs. Barring a season where D-Rob was down the entire year, they had a playoff team every year and didn't need to rebuild. Riley is great at recruitment, but he has twice had to rebuild that team. Just because he kept Wade and Haslem from that first team, doesn't mean that it wasn't a rebuild. Wade and Haslem were the only tw holdolvers, and they went through a lottery year, and two first-round knockouts because rebuilding their roster around two huge free agent signings.

That is a rebuild. Just because the process doesn't take as long with the Heat (at least since Riley has been there) doesn't mean that they weren't rebuilding.

And let's not forget where they were last year come playoff time: the golf course.

Drafting players and developing them long-term is what most people consider a full-on "rebuild." That's clearly not what the Heat have been doing. The Heat have been in the lottery 3 times in the 21 years since Riley's arrival, and made the playoffs the following year each time.

J_M_B
03-16-2016, 12:45 PM
Drafting players and developing them long-term is what most people consider a full-on "rebuild." That's clearly not what the Heat have been doing. The Heat have been in the lottery 3 times in the 21 years since Riley's arrival, and made the playoffs the following year each time.

Miami missed the playoffs back to back years in '02 and '03 (came away with Caron Butler and Wade), but yes I know what you mean. Riley has never done a true rebuild, always opting to retool.

Big Zo
03-16-2016, 12:53 PM
Miami missed the playoffs back to back years in '02 and '03 (came away with Caron Butler and Wade), but yes I know what you mean. Riley has never done a true rebuild, always opting to retool.

Ha! I remembered the drafting of Caron right after I posted that.

SteBO
03-16-2016, 01:08 PM
The HEAT diminishing is always hilarious to me. Also hilarious is how other fan bases are so quick to downplay them with a glaring lack of knowledge. Don't be so sensitive people.....

At the end of the day, Blatt lost the respect of his players. When that happens, something has to be done, fair or not. They've been better offensively under Lue based on what I've seen.

beasted86
03-16-2016, 01:20 PM

1.) Paul Silas
2.) Brendan Malone
3.) Mike Brown
5.) David Blatt
6.) Tyronn Lue

Spoelstra is sub par? What is par then? Name me 3 "average" coaches in the NBA right now.

Vee-Rex
03-16-2016, 02:39 PM

Eh, the Heat don't worry me much. Their depth is inexperienced, they have a low assist %, and their 3-point shooting is abysmal. Those are the key factors to beat the Cavs in the playoffs. Let me throw some numbers at you:

Miami Heat are shooting 33.2% from 3pt range this season - ranked 27th in the league

Miami Heat are 19th in assist/turnover ratio and 19th in assist per 100 possessions

Miami Heat are 24th in assist % (amount of baskets assisted by a teammate)

Miami Heat are 15th in TS%

Miami only has 6 key players (Wade/Dragic/Deng/Whiteside/Johnson/Bosh) and one may or may not be in IN-GAME shape for the playoffs, the rest suck or are extremely young. The playoffs will expose the youth. Teams without depth (like the Clippers and Thunder) don't give the Cavs much trouble.

All jokes aside about old aging, Wade is a bit underrated IMO. Miami's strengths are in their defense and rebounding.

As a Cavs fan, the only team in the East I'm worried about playing is the Celtics (they're better than last year, they pass the ball, and if they start losing they start playing dirty). Chicago worries me a little but not as much since Thibs left and they're dealing with so many injuries.

Teams like Toronto and Miami and Atlanta and Charlotte don't concern me much, although they're good teams.

Don't let the regular season fool you. Cavs play differently in the playoffs, much like how we play in 4th quarters (we were just #1 in DEF-RTG in the 4th quarter in the entire league a couple weeks ago, but since we've dropped to #4 in the league).

ManningToTyree
03-16-2016, 03:29 PM

Yes, firing Blatt was necessary. The question is - is Tyronn Lue the right guy for the job? Good thing the Cavs didn't extend him. He'll be evaluated at the end of the season. I thought they gave Lue 3 years?

They had to fire blatt because Lebron wanted it and he runs the franchise. I think Blatt is a good coach.

beasted86
03-16-2016, 04:09 PM
Should the Cavs have fired him? I don't think it makes a difference.

The team is not significantly better or worse, so if the owner can afford to do it, why not? It didn't hurt, it didn't help.

phantasyyy
03-16-2016, 05:02 PM
Eh, the Heat don't worry me much. Their depth is inexperienced, they have a low assist %, and their 3-point shooting is abysmal. Those are the key factors to beat the Cavs in the playoffs. Let me throw some numbers at you:

Miami Heat are shooting 33.2% from 3pt range this season - ranked 27th in the league

Miami Heat are 19th in assist/turnover ratio and 19th in assist per 100 possessions

Miami only has 6 key players (Wade/Dragic/Deng/Whiteside/Johnson/Bosh) and one may or may not be in IN-GAME shape for the playoffs, the rest suck or are extremely young. The playoffs will expose the youth. Teams without depth (like the Clippers and Thunder) don't give the Cavs much trouble.

All jokes aside about old aging, Wade is a bit underrated IMO. Miami's strengths are in their defense and rebounding.

As a Cavs fan, the only team in the East I'm worried about playing is the Celtics (they're better than last year, they pass the ball, and if they start losing they start playing dirty). Chicago worries me a little but not as much since Thibs left and they're dealing with so many injuries.

Teams like Toronto and Miami and Atlanta and Charlotte don't concern me much, although they're good teams.

Don't let the regular season fool you. Cavs play differently in the playoffs, much like how we play in 4th quarters (we were just #1 in DEF-RTG in the 4th quarter in the entire league a couple weeks ago, but since we've dropped to #4 in the league).

TBH for Cavs fans there really isn't any team in the East that could possibly upset you in the East.

Come playoff time when rotations are reduced and defensive matchups become more intense the Cavs are clearly a full tier above what any other team has available.

kdspurman
03-16-2016, 05:08 PM
It's what LeBron wanted. Thats just how it goes sometimes. It doesn't mean Lue is the answer either though.. but keeping Blatt could have created a toxic environment amongst players which could've really hurt their title aspirations.

G_S_W
03-16-2016, 05:26 PM
Doesn't matter much.

Warriors will destroy.

DboneG
03-16-2016, 05:41 PM
Spoelstra is sub par? What is par then? Name me 3 "average" coaches in the NBA right now.

Spoeslstra WAS sub-par when he was coaching LeBron back then...he's learned and gotten better. (read the post) Spoeslstra sucked big time during the big three run! He was learning on the job. AND IT WAS NO TIME FOR THAT. He should have been fired a few times during LeBrons run with the Heat. Spoeslstra was in over his head, Pat Riley wasn't going to admit it. And Spo was his apprentice/protégée, so he had to keep him.

Three average coaches....That's easy! Tyrone Lue, Fred Hoiberg, Jason Kidd, Billy Donovan.
Above average coaches....Steve Kerr, Rick Carlisle, Brad Stevens(on his way to super stardom)
Great coaches....Gregg Popa*****

J_M_B
03-16-2016, 06:08 PM
Spoeslstra WAS sub-par when he was coaching LeBron back then...he's learned and gotten better. (read the post) Spoeslstra sucked big time during the big three run! He was learning on the job. AND IT WAS NO TIME FOR THAT. He should have been fired a few times during LeBrons run with the Heat. Spoeslstra was in over his head, Pat Riley wasn't going to admit it. And Spo was his apprentice/protégée, so he had to keep him.

Three average coaches....That's easy! Tyrone Lue, Fred Hoiberg, Jason Kidd, Billy Donovan.
Above average coaches....Steve Kerr, Rick Carlisle, Brad Stevens(on his way to super stardom)

So Spo doesn't get any credit for that pace and space offense? Riley said himself that it was Spo that urged him to go after the likes of Battier and Allen, when the entire world thought Miami needed a point guard and center ... He's played a large role in the league's evolution towards positionless basketball

That's not even mentioning his trap defense that absolutely suffocated opposing teams.

Dade County
03-16-2016, 06:29 PM

When it comes to HEAT vs Cav's in th playoffs (if it goes down)... You are not factoring in the entertainment dollars, the story plot line (script), and the media hype build up drama that a series like this can produce.

7 game series easy.

DboneG
03-16-2016, 08:26 PM
So Spo doesn't get any credit for that pace and space offense? Riley said himself that it was Spo that urged him to go after the likes of Battier and Allen, when the entire world thought Miami needed a point guard and center ... He's played a large role in the league's evolution towards positionless basketball

That's not even mentioning his trap defense that absolutely suffocated opposing teams.

Spo sucked during LeBrons run with the Heat. Stop it! Assistant coaches were constantly whispering in his ear, he sub the wrong guys in crucial parts of the game, failed to call crucial time outs during runs, couldn’t determine when guys needed a rest, he was horrible back then! It would be a no-brainer to try and get Battier and Allen. Don't give Spo credit for being instrumental in bring in positionless basketball..he was just there. That's about it. He was just there as the coach of the Miami Heat when he had some of the greatest players playing for him.

Raps18-19 Champ
03-16-2016, 09:31 PM
I like Blatt but if you were going to fire him, maybe you should have gone with someone better.

Vee-Rex
03-16-2016, 09:31 PM
I thought they gave Lue 3 years?

They had to fire blatt because Lebron wanted it and he runs the franchise. I think Blatt is a good coach.

Nope. Lots of articles are out there saying he signed (even Woj was wrong on this one), but GM David Griffin told ESPN radio (a few days after) that they did not sign Tyronn Lue to an extension.

http://www.todaysfastbreak.com/fastbreak-news/cavaliers-gm-david-griffin-says-tyronn-lue-doesnt-new-contract/

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/tyronn-lue-does-not-have-multi-year-deal-so-go-cavs/

Vee-Rex
03-16-2016, 09:40 PM
TBH for Cavs fans there really isn't any team in the East that could possibly upset you in the East.

Come playoff time when rotations are reduced and defensive matchups become more intense the Cavs are clearly a full tier above what any other team has available.

In terms of talent we're a full tier above, but at this point I can't say 100% that no team in the East could possibly upset us. Our post-Blatt losses aren't great (lots of lackadaisical play) and I can only speculate that we'll be far more intense in the playoffs.

It's all a lot of speculation. I'll tell you one thing... I'll be sweating if we carry this lazy style into the playoffs. And if Toronto can manage to steal the 1st seed and play us in the ECF... I'll be more concerned about them than I was about Atlanta last year.

Kinkotheclown
03-16-2016, 09:52 PM
Yes. LeBron wanted him fired and LeBron runs the franchise. why are we pretending there was a choice?

Lebron is a douche
He always wants his own way
He cannot be coached

But to tell the truth
I wish he was on my team
Douche aside he's great

beasted86
03-16-2016, 10:48 PM

To put it simply, your judgement stinks if you're asking me. You picked some terrible ideas for what you consider to be average coaches for one. You're all over the place. What is an average coach supposed to do? Just barely meet expectations? So do you think the Bucks expected to miss the playoffs this year after making it in last year? Is he meeting the expectations? Do you think the Bulls expected to be clinging to an 8th seed?

If Tyronn Lue is an average coach and you are saying that Erik Spoelstra was worse than average 4 years ago since he was supposedly sub-par at the time when he coached his first team to a title in 2012, then Lue should have no problem at all getting LeBron his 3rd ring this year.

If you don't agree with that then your entire logic scheme is flawed.

Scoots
03-17-2016, 12:09 AM
He should have been moved to an assistant role in his rookie year before he had coached a game, or he should have been fired in the offseason. Once he lost the team (thanks to LeBron in large part according to a lot of press) he had to go.