PDA

View Full Version : Pass or shoot?

JasonJohnHorn
03-15-2016, 09:23 AM
Watching some highlights last night and saw this play. AMAZINGLY quick catch and shoot. AMAZING!!

However, I think the smart move here was the lay up. A contest three. In this instance it the pass paid off, but I think sound basketball is put up the lay up.

https://streamable.com/not5

What are your thoughts?

Jeffy25
03-15-2016, 09:31 AM
Curry is just as likely to make that 3 (it's a layup to him) as he is to make that layup ;)

I'm kidding, I think he didn't realize he had the layup until after he passed it off, split second decision with no time for reflection.

IndyRealist
03-15-2016, 09:36 AM
Curry is just as likely to make that 3 (it's a layup to him) as he is to make that layup ;)

I'm kidding, I think he didn't realize he had the layup until after he passed it off, split second decision with no time for reflection.

He already beat two defenders and no one was in front of him. If he went straight up it would have been an and-1. The layup was the right play.

Jeffy25
03-15-2016, 09:38 AM
He already beat two defenders and no one was in front of him. If he went straight up it would have been an and-1. The layup was the right play.

I wasn't debating it, obviously the layup would have been the right play. My guess is he didn't realize he had it when he decided to pass

JasonJohnHorn
03-15-2016, 09:46 AM
I wasn't debating it, obviously the layup would have been the right play. My guess is he didn't realize he had it when he decided to pass

Gotta love that unselfishness though. Man... Detroit 04, The Spurs over the last 20 years, and Boston during the Big-3 era were all unselfish teams, but I never seen a team that had so many willing passers. I mean, even those teams had guys who loved to shoot.

Everybody on this team when I watch them is willing to pass up a shot to get it to a guy in a better position.

Jeffy25
03-15-2016, 10:14 AM

KnicksorBust
03-15-2016, 11:33 AM
Watching some highlights last night and saw this play. AMAZINGLY quick catch and shoot. AMAZING!!

However, I think the smart move here was the lay up. A contest three. In this instance it the pass paid off, but I think sound basketball is put up the lay up.

https://streamable.com/not5

What are your thoughts?

The layup is not as easy as it looks. If you watch again his pivot foot is stuck. If he tries to gather for the layup his left foot will lift off the ground and it will be a travel. The pass was the right move.

IndyRealist
03-15-2016, 12:34 PM
Sorry what I meant is that he -should- have known. He already beat 2 people and no one was in his line of sight. If it were me I might not realize, but he's an NBA player and should have the awareness.

ewing
03-15-2016, 01:24 PM
The layup is not as easy as it looks. If you watch again his pivot foot is stuck. If he tries to gather for the layup his left foot will lift off the ground and it will be a travel. The pass was the right move.

All he has to do is throw up a little baby right hook from where he is standing. he is alone and in front of the basket

KnicksorBust
03-15-2016, 02:29 PM
Sorry what I meant is that he -should- have known. He already beat 2 people and no one was in his line of sight. If it were me I might not realize, but he's an NBA player and should have the awareness.

He already starts the motion to pass before Babbitt clears. Plus his pivot foot is still lost. He can't regather himself for a layup after lunging his body forward without getting called for a travel.

ewing
03-15-2016, 02:47 PM
He already starts the motion to pass before Babbitt clears. Plus his pivot foot is still lost. He can't regather himself for a layup after lunging his body forward without getting called for a travel.

if he wanted he could have scored without taking a step or even leaving the ground. All he is has do to flip the ball up with this right hand.

KnicksorBust
03-15-2016, 02:56 PM
if he wanted he could have scored without taking a step of even leaving the ground. All he is has do to flip the ball up with this right hand.

Yes if he hadn't already lunged forward to make the pass or if he was psychic and knew Babbitt was going to bite THAT hard on the fake. But unfortunately he's already in the motion to pass while Babbitt has barely left his feet and for the 3rd time his left foot (his pivot foot) is extended and if he lifted it he would have been called for a travel.

ewing
03-15-2016, 03:10 PM
:pity:

Chronz
03-16-2016, 12:05 AM
That's a stern no

TrueFan420
03-16-2016, 12:17 AM
Gotta love that unselfishness though. Man... Detroit 04, The Spurs over the last 20 years, and Boston during the Big-3 era were all unselfish teams, but I never seen a team that had so many willing passers. I mean, even those teams had guys who loved to shoot.

Everybody on this team when I watch them is willing to pass up a shot to get it to a guy in a better position.

I think it's a combo of they're all average to great passers and they've seen with Kerrs system if they're in the right spot they will get ball. So you make that pass to the player in the right spot because their gonna do the same for you. Once they saw the results it makes it easier and easier to make that extra pass.

Scoots
03-17-2016, 12:34 AM
Should have gone for the layup. Curry was as close to out of bounds as any player not out of bounds I've ever seen. Curry had to change his motion a little just because he couldn't get a full bounce in his legs without going out of bounds. Amazing awareness and body control by Steph, but LB should have taken the shot.