View Full Version : This could of been the 76ers starting lineup today

mudvayne387
03-15-2016, 08:15 AM
Jrue Holiday
Lou Williams
Evan Turner
Thaddeus Young
Nikola Vucevic

Serious Question, would they have been better off with this starting 5 moving forward ? Or do you like the direction they went ?

Some will say that the team above is probably a low seeded playoff team. You are probably right, but they still would of had draft picks and potentially could have attracted free agents to Philly had they stuck with what they had.

R. Johnson#3
03-15-2016, 08:40 AM
Lou Williams and Evan Turner on the same team would give a coach nightmares.

2-ONE-5
03-15-2016, 08:49 AM
Iggy would have been on that team too and we wold have been capped out going nowhere. that team is the reason we tried for the big splash with Bynum bcuz it maxed out after reaching the East Semis. Prefer the direction we are going in now than more 6-8 seeds and early exits with no real chance to contend.

IndyRealist
03-15-2016, 09:06 AM
That's not a playoff team, imo.

Jeffy25
03-15-2016, 09:10 AM
Okafor, Noel, and Embid can still combine for some serious talent and a potentially great team in two years.

I dunno if the stars will align or not. But if they don't, I don't see enough of a gamble that has hurt them outside of attendance and fan interest. In terms of competitiveness, they weren't going to be a top 5 team in the East with that squad.

JasonJohnHorn
03-15-2016, 09:14 AM
That roster would be awful.

However, they would have still added draft picks over the years.

Given that Jrue isn't even in the playoffs playing with AD, I doubt he'd be better of with Nikola V. Turner isn't even starting in this league. Lou Williams can't even get a regular starting spot on the worst team in the West.

Thad Young is a starter, sure, but he's a starter on a lottery team.

This roster would suck balls.

The thing is, they could have, as you mentioned, been able to attract free agents, and would have had raft picks.

PhillyFaninLA
03-15-2016, 09:35 AM
That is a team that is a consistent 6 - 8 seed in the east with first round defeats. You can't win by staying as one of the teams that say yeah we make the playoffs every year but we aren't as attractive to free agents as we could be or every have a shot to win our division or a title.

That roster would not be remotely attractive to free agents.

To many teams get stuck there and try and put pieces together. The only way to win big and consistently is to have the that superstar (or at least perennial all star) and have the right support pieces in place. Then they need to play together for a bit and start to gel.

I'm not sure what the purpose of this topic being created was.

mudvayne387
03-15-2016, 09:44 AM
That is a team that is a consistent 6 - 8 seed in the east with first round defeats. You can't win by staying as one of the teams that say yeah we make the playoffs every year but we aren't as attractive to free agents as we could be or every have a shot to win our division or a title.

To many teams get stuck there and try and put pieces together. The only way to win big and consistently is to have the that superstar (or at least perennial all star) and have the right support pieces in place. Then they need to play together for a bit and start to gel.

Just for discussion purposes like 99.9% of the threads on a sports forum.

Alayla
03-15-2016, 10:10 AM
This roster isn't even entirely accurate because Thad wanted to walk no matter what and don't get me started on Jrues health problems.. We would still be in the lottery with this team but not high enough in the lottery or with enough assets to move out. This Roster is exactly what Philly fans where so scared of.

A more interesting thing to look at is what our roster would have looked like if we got the best player from each draft the last couple years. We would basically look like a better off T wolves team right now.
Just that hope makes it worth every moment of this for me.

JLynn943
03-15-2016, 10:11 AM
That team would give up 120 points every game.

JLynn943
03-15-2016, 10:29 AM
A more interesting thing to look at is what our roster would have looked like if we got the best player from each draft the last couple years. We would basically look like a better off T wolves team right now.

Yeah, that's what I thought the thread was going to be

Tony_Starks
03-15-2016, 10:38 AM
Thad was not sticking around for that mockery, it's pretty well documented he wanted out.

But given the majority of those players that team would still be pretty bad, depending on the coach.

Bad enough to still get draft picks but not bad enough to throw games and get the top pick.

Would've gave the perception that they're at least trying to be competitive and may have made them a more desirable FA destination, if you're into that whole build a winning culture thing...

Tony_Starks
03-15-2016, 10:41 AM
Yeah, that's what I thought the thread was going to be

Same here

Hawkeye15
03-15-2016, 10:45 AM
that team is a low seed, one and done playoff team. Basically, the worst place you want to be in the NBA.

mudvayne387
03-15-2016, 10:52 AM
that team is a low seed, one and done playoff team. Basically, the worst place you want to be in the NBA.

I agree with that for the most part. The question is, with proper drafting and with any luck in free agency, would they be in a better spot ?

2-ONE-5
03-15-2016, 10:57 AM
This roster isn't even entirely accurate because Thad wanted to walk no matter what and don't get me started on Jrues health problems.. We would still be in the lottery with this team but not high enough in the lottery or with enough assets to move out. This Roster is exactly what Philly fans where so scared of.

Thad loves/loved Philly he just didnt want to be part of the tanking, which was fine. But im sure he would still be here if it was a better opportunity.

ewing
03-15-2016, 11:04 AM

no, winning the least number of games is the worst you can be. Just b/c LeBron and KG colluded to make super teams doesn't mean you cant gradually improve in this league. The Warriors just did it. Two years ago they were a bounced in the 1st round.

mudvayne387
03-15-2016, 11:11 AM
no, winning the least number of games is the worst you can be. Just b/c LeBron and KG colluded to make super teams doesn't mean you cant gradually improve in this league. The Warriors just did it. Two years ago they were a bounced in the 1st round.

I'm not sure why the 76ers don't think that in a year or two they will be back in the exact same position as a low playoff seed. Are they going to blow it all up again if they don't go from 10 to 50 wins ? What happened to a slow and thorough rebuild. Seems like it's all or nothing these days.

ewing
03-15-2016, 11:17 AM
I'm not sure why the 76ers don't think that in a year or two they will be back in the exact same position as a low playoff seed. Are they going to blow it all up again if they don't go from 10 to 50 wins ? What happened to a slow and thorough rebuild. Seems like it's all or nothing these days.

People just don't get that its hard to win a title in this league, so hard that unless LeBron recruits you a team it going to take years of solid decision making and pure luck even to be a top contender. sucking doesn't really make it easier. A guess it makes people feel better b/c they have the lottery to bet on they're not even trying to be good now (things are going according to plan when you win 17 games)

KnicksorBust
03-15-2016, 11:23 AM
Jrue Holiday
Lou Williams
Evan Turner
Thaddeus Young
Nikola Vucevic

Serious Question, would they have been better off with this starting 5 moving forward ? Or do you like the direction they went ?

Some will say that the team above is probably a low seeded playoff team. You are probably right, but they still would of had draft picks and potentially could have attracted free agents to Philly had they stuck with what they had.

If Brad Stevens was the coach they would miraculously be a #3 seed but in reality they are much better off with the route that they took. I honestly don't believe you think it is a debate.

2-ONE-5
03-15-2016, 11:23 AM
those werent players you build up with, they werent good enough it was obvious. they were all together for a few years and reached their peak.

KnicksorBust
03-15-2016, 11:25 AM

My guess is the OP has an agenda I just don't know what it is.

KnicksorBust
03-15-2016, 11:28 AM

The team that wins the least number of games has the best chance of getting the next franchise player. The Warriors improved because they already drafted their LeBron when they got Steph. It had nothing to with gradual improvement. They won because they had the best player in the league.

If you were right then teams like the Bulls / Grizzlies / Blazers / Pacers would have titles in the last 15 years.

KnicksorBust
03-15-2016, 11:28 AM

Do you think the Timberwolves are going to be a struggling low playoff seed in a year or two?

mudvayne387
03-15-2016, 11:31 AM
If Brad Stevens was the coach they would miraculously be a #3 seed but in reality they are much better off with the route that they took. I honestly don't believe you think it is a debate.

Really ?

Because I'm currently looking at a roster with three centers (two with injury histories) no back court talent and honestly no clear direction from the outside looking in. I think their only hope is to trade Okafor for a legitimate point guard and draft Ingram at #1 or #2. Saric is an intriguing prospect as well but it looks like he will stay in turkey for yet another season.

I'm not rooting against Philly, I am and always will be indifferent about them. I just honestly thought by now that we'd see some steady progress and that hasn't been the case. It's almost like tank until we find a superstar.

mudvayne387
03-15-2016, 11:36 AM
Do you think the Timberwolves are going to be a struggling low playoff seed in a year or two?

Karl Towns and Andrew Wiggins are far and away better than anything the 76ers have on their roster. Add in Minesota hitting on Lavine and making a masterful trade with Dieng/Muhammed for Trey Burke on draft night and you have the makings of an awesome core. So no, I think they will be a force to reckon with. But remember the run of PG's they took year after year ? Look where that got them. It wasn't until they started making proper moves that their patience paid off.

KnicksorBust
03-15-2016, 11:36 AM
Really ?

Because I'm currently looking at a roster with three centers (two with injury histories) no back court talent and honestly no clear direction from the outside looking in. I think their only hope is to trade Okafor for a legitimate point guard and draft Ingram at #1 or #2. Saric is an intriguing prospect as well but it looks like he will stay in turkey for yet another season.

I'm not rooting against Philly, I am and always will be indifferent about them. I just honestly thought by now that we'd see some steady progress and that hasn't been the case. It's almost like tank until we find a superstar.

Exactly. You may not be rooting against them but you made a thread trolling their lack of progress. Your agenda is to expose the lack of progress but in reality most posters don't want that Evan Turner lineup either. Their "tank until we find a superstar" strategy was the better route.

ewing
03-15-2016, 11:48 AM
The team that wins the least number of games has the best chance of getting the next franchise player. The Warriors improved because they already drafted their LeBron when they got Steph. It had nothing to with gradual improvement. They won because they had the best player in the league.

If you were right then teams like the Bulls / Grizzlies / Blazers / Pacers would have titles in the last 15 years.

I also said it was very hard to win a title and takes a lot of luck. The Bulls and Pacers were actually very close- Ron Artest destroyed the Pacers shot and Rose's health destroyed the Bulls chance. Why do you never make sense? How about you look at the teams that have actually won titles. The warriors didn't know Curry was going to be a HOFer and they tried to get better. No one projected him to be this but they didn't try suck on purpose until they had a guy people expected this out of. The Spurs got old but didn't blow it up and got there next franchise player with the 15th pick. No one said you know what we'll just suck as much as possible for a 1/2 a decade.

Hawkeye15
03-15-2016, 11:53 AM
I also said it was very hard to win a title and takes a lot of luck. The Bulls and Pacers were actually very close- Ron Artest destroyed the Pacers shot and Rose's health destroyed the Bulls chance. Why do you never make sense? How about you look at the teams that have actually won titles. The warriors didn't know Curry was going to be a HOFer and they tried to get better. No one projected him to be this but they didn't try suck on purpose until they had a guy people expected this out of. The Spurs got old but didn't blow it up and got there next franchise player with the 15th pick. No one said you know what we'll just suck as much as possible for a 1/2 a decade.

the only difference is that one team had inept management for years, and finally hit it in the draft. The other team is trying to lose games, so they can hit it in the draft.

I get why many people don't like what Hinkie is doing, but it's playing within the rules, and clearly the best way to build a great team (draft).

More-Than-Most
03-15-2016, 11:55 AM

So basically us for years before we took risks like Bynum and so on that blew up in our face just so we could keep being mediocre and trying to contend in a league where stars only want to play with other stars? This is why I have no issues with blowing it up and tanking for 3 seasons.

mike44
03-15-2016, 11:58 AM
I'm not even sure that team makes the playoffs this year in the east with how deep it has gotten, some solid teams will miss out on the playoffs this year. Most philly fans would prefer to be in the position they are in now I would assume. Plus if I remember correctly vucevic was part of that Bynum deal so he was gone before they started this process. If they can get a guard like Valentine in this draft and add a couple pieces they could be serious in a couple of years.

ewing
03-15-2016, 11:58 AM
Exactly. You may not be rooting against them but you made a thread trolling their lack of progress. Your agenda is to expose the lack of progress but in reality most posters don't want that Evan Turner lineup either. Their "tank until we find a superstar" strategy was the better route.

Not so far. The team could have been playing meaningful basketball games. maybe instead of Noel they wind up with Greek Freak or Dennis Schroder later in the draft and then land a free agent. How can you say its the better route looking at this team? They are awful and showing no signs of real improvement.

STRIKERC
03-15-2016, 12:07 PM
Not so far. The team could have been playing meaningful basketball games. maybe instead of Noel they wind up with Greek Freak or Dennis Schroder later in the draft and then land a free agent. How can you say its the better route looking at this team? They are awful and showing no signs of real improvement.

If you're sitting there assuming Sixers are going to roll with 4 centers for the foreseeable future then yes, "this team" doesn't look good. Hinkie never said he was taking that route. He said he's going to collect assets and then make trades in the next phase. That phase starts this off season. Think about the possible deals they could make this off season.
The team you see today will be drastically different by the start of next season.

ewing
03-15-2016, 12:08 PM
the only difference is that one team had inept management for years, and finally hit it in the draft. The other team is trying to lose games, so they can hit it in the draft.

I get why many people don't like what Hinkie is doing, but it's playing within the rules, and clearly the best way to build a great team (draft).

continually losing on purpose and making no attempt to get better is a big difference. My knicks aren't going anywhere next year and i would prefer they land a guy like Tyler Johnson over a 30 year old like Mike Conley for a max deal but both guys make us better at the PG. I'm not rooting for us to start Jimmer

Hawkeye15
03-15-2016, 12:08 PM

No, the fact is, the more top picks you can land, the better chance you have to land star talent. Furthermore, drafting is how to build, for contractual and high end talent reasons. Not every draft offers stars though. So it's risky, which Philly is learning the hard way.

I mean, the Spurs were a 60 win team, then had DRob, Sean, and more go down, and just sat a healthy Robinson the last 30 games of the year to tank. They ended up landing one of the rare gems a draft offers. The Bulls hopped 12 teams to land Rose.

Expected NBA production of course comes from the higher picks. Therefore, if you want to end up a great team, the chances are better (not concrete by any means), if you lose a lot of games and pile drive high picks for a few years.

STRIKERC
03-15-2016, 12:09 PM
Hinkie is not in the business of seeing steady progress.

ewing
03-15-2016, 12:11 PM
nvm

Hawkeye15
03-15-2016, 12:11 PM
continually losing on purpose and making no attempt to get better is a big difference. My knicks are going anywhere next year and i would prefer they land a guy like Tyler Johnson over a 30 year old like Mike Conley for a max deal but both guys make us better at the PG. I'm not rooting for us to start Jimmer

the difference is, your decision will statistically lead to a lesser team over the course of a decade.

It's not a perfect science dude. But acquiring a lot of high picks that yields 2-3 all star players in their primes together, is the better way to contend, then using FA, or winning 8 extra games and falling 3 spots in the draft, USUALLY. Again, it's not a perfect science.

ewing
03-15-2016, 12:16 PM
the difference is, your decision will statistically lead to a lesser team over the course of a decade.

It's not a perfect science dude. But acquiring a lot of high picks that yields 2-3 all star players in their primes together, is the better way to contend, then using FA, or winning 8 extra games and falling 3 spots in the draft, USUALLY. Again, it's not a perfect science.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZVdR19E5mU

Hawkeye15
03-15-2016, 12:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZVdR19E5mU

I love that movie so much, my first boxer was named, Dudley "Booger" Dawson.

Not even kidding

PhillyFaninLA
03-15-2016, 12:35 PM

In a year or two we very well might be a low playoff seed. But if we are it would be with a foundation of players and hopefully an all star or two, from either guys currently on the roster or Saric and a guy or two from this draft...If the Lakers end up a 4 and either we or the Kings get lucky in the lottery we can end up with 2 nice players.

The difference is you need to have at least one player you can rely on if not two to be able to be a real contender. If Embiid can be healthy and is the real deal, if Saric is the real deal, or if we end up with Simmons or Ingram and they turn out to be the real deal we might be the low playoff seed in a year or two but it is with nice bench players like Covington and Grant, some nice starters, and a shot to really be something.

Also I fully believe that regardless of what we say Colengelo will be pulling the strings this off season (but Hinkie will be the face). It would be a completely different scenario if it does happen.

Westbrook36
03-15-2016, 12:40 PM
Really ?

1. Embiid is the only center with the injury history
2. An ACL injury is barely anything major in this day if that's your other one, one that he's come back from perfectly fine
3. You take what is given to you -- I.E Russell going #2 over Okafor (Was seen as the top prospect for a long while) or Wiggins/Parker going over Embiid (Again..seen as the top talent prior to foot injury)
4. With that said his plan is to bring in as much cheap & young talent in hopes of landing a disgruntled star via trade or FA (less likely atm)
5. I'm sure other options will arise..

I do realize it's not an ideal situation having three centers and no guards. After this draft with three first round picks (potentially 4 with LA) the landscape of the team is going to dramatically change. I love Ingram & Simmons so getting either would be a great grab.

Where have you seen that Saric is planning to stay? Because we've been hearing differently

Dario Saric plans to join the 76ers during the summer of 2016.

Saric is averaging 12.3 points and 5.0 rebounds in 21.2 minutes with Anadolu Efes and is eyeing a move to the NBA this summer. "I am in constant contact with the Sixers," Saric said. "They wanted me as soon as possible, but I have a contract with Efes. But next summer I have a way out and I'm going to take it." While Saric can be ignored in standard fantasy leagues, owners in dynasty leagues may want to take a flier on the 21-year-old. Tue, Nov 3, 2015 11:25:00 AM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/dario-saric-reportedly-says-he-will-join-the-sixers-this-offseason-080156485.html

76ers coach Brett Brown is confident that Dario Saric will come to Philly for the 2016-17 season.

"Obviously, decisions are going to have to be made on his part," Brown said. "But we like what we see and we believe he likes what he sees." Saric has a player option for his team in Turkey, but if he opts out he can join the 76ers this summer. He is a talented stretch four who Brown describes as a "competitive bull-in-the-china-shop type player," and it makes sense to own him if you're in a dynasty league. Mar 5 - 9:10 AM

- Rotoworld

The only reason I can see him not coming over is if he wants to wait the year for some extra $$, but apparently is somewhat unhappy with his club.

mngopher35
03-15-2016, 12:45 PM
I definitely thought this was going to be like what if they had Smart/Lavine/Porzingis/Noel instead of their current group or something (not that we know about Saric or their bigs in general yet just fitting in what we've seen/holes and drafting players close to the pick). Add Ingram in and watch out.

On this topic I think Philly tanking was the best way for them to improve in the future, they had already been stuck around an 8 seed like that team would have been. I get why people dislike their long term plan but imo it was the right move to rebuild at least.

Tony_Starks
03-15-2016, 01:10 PM
Remember when Golden State was a one and done mediocre playoff team led by Steph?

Going by the popular tanking philosophy instead of adding vet talent like Bogut, Iggy, Barbosa, Livingston...etc and getting valuable playoff experience they should've just blew it up and stockpiled picks for years, surrounded Steph and Klay with a D-league roster...and been a laughing stock until a superstar lotto pick or free agent fell in their lap, maybe 3 years down the line.

And THEN they could start competing for titles, assuming Steph and Klay would've stuck around through the tanking fiasco.

SeoulBeatz
03-15-2016, 01:15 PM
Jrue Holiday
Lou Williams
Evan Turner
Thaddeus Young
*Spencer Hawes
(Vucevic was traded for Bynum before Hinkie came onboard)

That was a mediocre lineup that would have stayed mediocre. We would have had to overpay turner, holiday, hawes, young, just to keep that lineup in tact. Wouldn't be much of a lure for big name free agents.

Hawkeye15
03-15-2016, 01:15 PM
Remember when Golden State was a one and done mediocre playoff team led by Steph?

Going by the popular tanking philosophy instead of adding vet talent like Bogut, Iggy, Barbosa, Livingston...etc and getting valuable playoff experience they should've just blew it up and stockpiled picks for years, surrounded Steph and Klay with a D-league roster...and been a laughing stock until a superstar lotto pick or free agent fell in their lap, maybe 3 years down the line.

And THEN they could start competing for titles, assuming Steph and Klay would've stuck around through the tanking fiasco.

not exactly. They did the near impossible. They drafted an all NBA player at 11 in Klay, and a guy who is about to make an all NBA team in the 2nd round.

That isn't normal, that is the absolute exception. Exceptions are what the Warriors, and the Spurs with Duncan/Parker/Manu/Leonard did.

You don't typically get HOF'ers with late picks. These teams lucked out (ie, simply have the better FO's, and lucked the **** out).

ewing
03-15-2016, 01:16 PM

sorry misread

ewing
03-15-2016, 01:22 PM
not exactly. They did the near impossible. They drafted an all NBA player at 11 in Klay, and a guy who is about to make an all NBA team in the 2nd round.

That isn't normal, that is the absolute exception. Exceptions are what the Warriors, and the Spurs with Duncan/Parker/Manu/Leonard did.

You don't typically get HOF'ers with late picks. These teams lucked out (ie, simply have the better FO's, and lucked the **** out).

yeah luck is important. Like LA got lucky trading for Kobe at 17, Dallas did with Dirk at 9, the Spurs did with KL at 15. fact is you typically don't get HOFers period

Hawkeye15
03-15-2016, 01:25 PM
yeah luck is important. Like LA got lucky trading for Kobe at 17, Dallas did with Dirk at 9, the Spurs did with KL at 15. fact is you typically don't get HOFers period

different NBA. Most people thought the Wolves were nuts for drafting a 18 year old at that time. Euro's didn't go very high.

You have to think of the modern NBA, drafting methods, salary cap structure, etc.

Hasn't been updated for a bit, but look at this:

http://82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

the higher the pick, the better the chance more or less

ewing
03-15-2016, 01:27 PM
different NBA. Most people thought the Wolves were nuts for drafting a 18 year old at that time. Euro's didn't go very high.

You have to think of the modern NBA, drafting methods, salary cap structure, etc.

punch yourself in the face every time you say modern NBA. No **** the top guys are more often stars doesn't mean you don't need luck or should tank until you land 3 stars with top 5 picks. How about Greek freak at 15 (dude is a franchise player telling you right now). fact is you need to get a little lucky to have a true HOF player land in your lap

Chronz
03-15-2016, 01:34 PM

They were in a far different position given their assets. Stephs once a decade bargain of a contract gave the team a window to improve and they had a young core with high upside after years of missing the playoffs. The Sixers were in no man's land, they had already failed attempting to turn their perennial 8th seed into a player with the Bynum trade. When that didn't work they did the most logical thing FOR THEM. People need to stop thinking there's one path for every team. This is easily the smartest route for Philly

2-ONE-5
03-15-2016, 01:45 PM
Really ?

Saric has already confirmed hes coming over next season, not sure where you would have heard otherwise since since it came directly from him and his dad earlier in the season.

mudvayne387
03-15-2016, 01:49 PM

If that is what you think then I can't help you there.

The point was to get some opinions on whether or not they would have been better off slowly building with what they had and gradually adding more talent through lower picks and free agency. Or if they made the right move to tank and accumulate picks and top tier prospects while their attendance and fan support slowly dwindled.

Truthfully, I haven't fully formed an opinion on the matter yet. Holiday, Young and Vucevic are all very talented players in this league. While they are not cornerstone players, they are certainly guys you can win with with the proper coaching. Not to mention, if they were hovering around 35 wins with those guys then whose to say some bigger name free agents wouldn't of signed with them to put them over the top ?

mudvayne387
03-15-2016, 01:51 PM
Saric has already confirmed hes coming over next season, not sure where you would have heard otherwise since since it came directly from him and his dad earlier in the season.

I Apologize, was listening to ESPN radio last night and one of the guys on there said he would be giving up a ton of money by coming over next year. They made it sound like it wasn't in the plans. I should of checked further into the matter.

ewing
03-15-2016, 01:53 PM

yeah, but he doesn't even know how to wear a hat

http://www.barstoolsports.com/philadelphia/dario-saric-should-be-joining-the-sixers-for-the-2016-2017-season/

2-ONE-5
03-15-2016, 02:02 PM
damn what were we thinking drafting him?

mudvayne387
03-15-2016, 02:11 PM
damn what were we thinking drafting him?

As a 49ers fan its all fun and games until: http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/b3/d2/e5/b3d2e5534c38981682fb11c4a3378c29.jpg

KnicksorBust
03-15-2016, 02:24 PM

You don't even know what Pacers and Bulls teams I'm talking about. :pity:

The point that I'm making and Hawk was trying to tell you is that all Philly was doing was trying to increase their odds at getting a franchise player by getting a better pick in the draft. Even you concede that makes sense. If Embiid turns into that type of player. Or if they had landed KAT this year then we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

ewing
03-15-2016, 02:34 PM
You don't even know what Pacers and Bulls teams I'm talking about. :pity:

The point that I'm making and Hawk was trying to tell you is that all Philly was doing was trying to increase their odds at getting a franchise player by getting a better pick in the draft. Even you concede that makes sense. If Embiid turns into that type of player. Or if they had landed KAT this year then we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

the Bulls and Pacer teams over the last 15 years according to your post.

Tony_Starks
03-15-2016, 02:42 PM

Drafting well and letting players gel together isn't luck, it's called being competent, having a system, and having patience. Take Duncan out of the equation the Spurs always draft well regardless of position. They even pick good players out of the D league and overseas, their scouting is as good as it gets.

Likewise with the the Dubs nobody was harolding Steph and Klay as all nba when they got them. It's not like 2 superstars fell out the sky for them. They were saying Steph couldn't play point, had glass ankles. Not just when he got drafted but for a couple years after. And up to very recently people were even questioning giving Klay a good extension. Their scouting is also top notch (see Jerry West).

That ain't luck.

Question: do you think if Steph/ Klay/ Draymond were playing 20+ win seasons for years, meaningless games for years with a joke of a team, that they would've developed as good as they did?

Or what if they would've got impatient becuase one of their core wasn't progressing fast enough and traded them for more "assets" then what? Because that's what other teams are doing.

Tony_Starks
03-15-2016, 02:46 PM
They were in a far different position given their assets. Stephs once a decade bargain of a contract gave the team a window to improve and they had a young core with high upside after years of missing the playoffs. The Sixers were in no man's land, they had already failed attempting to turn their perennial 8th seed into a player with the Bynum trade. When that didn't work they did the most logical thing FOR THEM. People need to stop thinking there's one path for every team. This is easily the smartest route for Philly

My disagreement is with the "every team can't be as lucky as Warriors/ Spurs/ Lakers (Jerry West run Lakers)...so they HAVE to tank" cliché.

If your team is run properly no one is forced to tank, it's pretty much the laziest route to attempt to be a contender.

KnicksorBust
03-15-2016, 02:47 PM
the Bulls and Pacer teams over the last 15 years according to your post.

Try again. "Baby" Bulls and the Pacers team that brought back the same exact starting 5 only to lose to the Heat in back to back ECF.

ewing
03-15-2016, 02:49 PM
Try again. "Baby" Bulls and the Pacers team that brought back the same exact starting 5 only to lose to the Heat in back to back ECF.

why would i try again when you clearly said in the last 15 years? :confused:

KnicksorBust
03-15-2016, 02:49 PM
My disagreement is with the "every team can't be as lucky as Warriors/ Spurs/ Lakers (Jerry West run Lakers)...so they HAVE to tank" cliché.

If your team is run properly no one is forced to tank, it's pretty much the laziest route to attempt to be a contender.

But Spurs wouldn't have become a dynasty if they didn't tank so doesn't that destroy your whole argument?

Raidaz4Life
03-15-2016, 02:52 PM
lol that team is awful

KnicksorBust
03-15-2016, 02:53 PM
why would i try again when you clearly said in the last 15 years? :confused:

Because you were using the wrong examples. Your counter was against a phantom team that I wasn't even using. I used the time frame simply so I could provide more examples. I wasn't saying every team each franchise has had over the last 15 seasons fits the description.

ewing
03-15-2016, 02:57 PM
Because you were using the wrong examples. Your counter was against a phantom team that I wasn't even using. I used the time frame simply so I could provide more examples. I wasn't saying every team each franchise has had over the last 15 seasons fits the description.

you: why haven't the Bulls or Pacers won a title in last 15 years

me: b/c Ron Artest is a lunatic and Derrick Rose couldn't stay healthy.

you: try again

me: no

:confused:

ewing
03-15-2016, 03:00 PM
also the Pacers you are talking got very unlucky. Granger was entering his prime when George arrived, got hurt, and was never the same. A little more luck and that Pacer team very well could have won a title

mudvayne387
03-15-2016, 03:04 PM
But Spurs wouldn't have become a dynasty if they didn't tank so doesn't that destroy your whole argument?

I don't consider the Spurs 96-97 season as a ''tank job". I'd actually consider it more of a Colts/Manning scenario when they drafted Luck. When one player means so much to your team, you probably aren't going to be very good when they don't play.

Actually a pretty decent article on why the Spurs tanking for Duncan was pretty much a myth.

http://www.boxscoregeeks.com/articles/the-myth-of-the-tanking-spurs

Hawkeye15
03-15-2016, 03:10 PM

Warriors sucked for 3 decades before finally getting it right. The Spurs tanked the **** out of the 96-97' season, they were contending prior to that year, then landed Duncan. The Lakers have, until very recently, drawn players for no other reason than being the Lakers (and there is only 1 Jerry West, whereas there are a ton of inept GM's throughout the years).

All bad examples.

Hawkeye15
03-15-2016, 03:12 PM
I don't consider the Spurs 96-97 season as a ''tank job". I'd actually consider it more of a Colts/Manning scenario when they drafted Luck. When one player means so much to your team, you probably aren't going to be very good when they don't play.

Actually a pretty decent article on why the Spurs tanking for Duncan was pretty much a myth.

http://www.boxscoregeeks.com/articles/the-myth-of-the-tanking-spurs

did a healthy Manning sit for 6 games?

The Spurs were getting old, but if DRob had played more games when he was healthy (he did get healthier that season), they are not getting the #1 pick. No way.

mudvayne387
03-15-2016, 03:19 PM
did a healthy Manning sit for 6 games?

The Spurs were getting old, but if DRob had played more games when he was healthy (he did get healthier that season), they are not getting the #1 pick. No way.

There is still a big difference between going into a season with the mentality of purposely trying not to win games as opposed to what the Spurs did.

Hawkeye15
03-15-2016, 03:26 PM
There is still a big difference between going into a season with the mentality of purposely trying not to win games as opposed to what the Spurs did.

and intended tank and a tank on the fly still shares the same word haha.

I hated the Spurs for years because of that season. It will never stop eating away at me. Unless my puppies can win a chip. So, like never

mudvayne387
03-15-2016, 03:32 PM
Dupe

mudvayne387
03-15-2016, 03:36 PM
You repeatedly cheat on your wife, shame on you. She gives you a hall pass for a one time "screw up", still kinda ****** but better than the alternative. That's the spurs in this situation.

Hawkeye15
03-15-2016, 03:37 PM
Probably for the better. Something about Marbury and Duncan on the same team makes my butt pucker up. Good vs Evil.

to be fair, between Duncan and Marbury, who was the last one to win a championship?

ewing
03-15-2016, 03:39 PM
You repeatedly cheat on your wife, shame on you. She gives you a hall pass for a one time "screw up", still kinda ****** but better than the alternative. That's the spurs in this situation.

What if its with a hooker? Hookers don't count

mudvayne387
03-15-2016, 03:51 PM
What if its with a hooker? Hookers don't count

You are telling me this now ? I could of saved a year of marriage counseling had I known they didn't count. JK ! kinda ...

mudvayne387
03-15-2016, 03:52 PM
to be fair, between Duncan and Marbury, who was the last one to win a championship?

Good Point.

Marbury > Duncan

Hawkeye15
03-15-2016, 03:53 PM
Good Point.

Marbury > Duncan

does Duncan have a statue outside his arena? I think not

FOXHOUND
03-15-2016, 04:11 PM
The blow up and rebuild wasn't a dumb idea at all. The only issue has been the extent of tanking and blindly drafting who they view as BPA and ignoring very important factors like position and fit with that young talent.

It's more like after drafting Noel and MCW they could have picked Aaron Gordon instead of a 2nd center in Embiid, they could have still traded MCW for that Lakers first and drafted a combo SG in LaVine instead of another big PF in Saric and they could have drafted a good SF prospect like Hezonja if they were god forbid a bit better from building a more cohesive basketball team.

???
LaVine
Hezonja
Gordon
Noel

And going into this draft could have targeted Kris Dunn for a pure PG or Buddy Hield to form a combo guard backcourt with LaVine to form one of the best young talented teams in the NBA. OR they could have drafted Mudiay last year and went into this insanely loaded SF draft with many assets to potentially trade up to snatch a top one if need be. Who knows.

Instead, they have a bunch of C's who predictably don't fit together and a C who they drafted knowingly with serious health concerns who they just talked about bringing slowly next year.

Tony_Starks
03-15-2016, 04:30 PM
Who has Duncan been surrounded with? Parker, Ginobli, Bowen, Green, Mills, Splitter, and Finals mvp Leonard are all guys who were on NOBODIES radar. That takes serious skill to keep finding these type of players, especially when you're a contender drafting at the bottom. That's why guys like LMA and West took pay cuts to go there because it's obvious they know what they are doing.

What has Philly done with ANY of their picks? Top picks mind you.

Can we honestly see a all nba player out of the entire bunch so far? We should, they've been at it for years now.

2-ONE-5
03-15-2016, 04:49 PM
The blow up and rebuild wasn't a dumb idea at all. The only issue has been the extent of tanking and blindly drafting who they view as BPA and ignoring very important factors like position and fit with that young talent.

It's more like after drafting Noel and MCW they could have picked Aaron Gordon instead of a 2nd center in Embiid, they could have still traded MCW for that Lakers first and drafted a combo SG in LaVine instead of another big PF in Saric and they could have drafted a good SF prospect like Hezonja if they were god forbid a bit better from building a more cohesive basketball team.

???
LaVine
Hezonja
Gordon
Noel

And going into this draft could have targeted Kris Dunn for a pure PG or Buddy Hield to form a combo guard backcourt with LaVine to form one of the best young talented teams in the NBA. OR they could have drafted Mudiay last year and went into this insanely loaded SF draft with many assets to potentially trade up to snatch a top one if need be. Who knows.

Instead, they have a bunch of C's who predictably don't fit together and a C who they drafted knowingly with serious health concerns who they just talked about bringing slowly next year.

much rather have taken Embiid with his injury over anyone who went after him including Gordon who isnt a good fit with Noel anyway.

2-ONE-5
03-15-2016, 04:51 PM
Who has Duncan been surrounded with? Parker, Ginobli, Bowen, Green, Mills, Splitter, and Finals mvp Leonard are all guys who were on NOBODIES radar. That takes serious skill to keep finding these type of players, especially when you're a contender drafting at the bottom. That's why guys like LMA and West took pay cuts to go there because it's obvious they know what they are doing.

What has Philly done with ANY of their picks? Top picks mind you.

Can we honestly see a all nba player out of the entire bunch so far? We should, they've been at it for years now.

we havent even been at it for 3 full years lol.

Alayla
03-15-2016, 04:59 PM
Really ?

Saric is confirmed to be coming over next season what are you on about?
That's pretty much what its been and they told us that from day one its not like Hinkie is lying to anyone.

Alayla
03-15-2016, 05:20 PM

Exept Many where confident in Curry to become at least an allstar talent...
I assure you if we had Stephen Curry on our roster we wouldn't have been tanking by any means you tell me anyone out of Jrue Holiday Lou Willams Evan Turner Thad Young and Spencer Hawes has anything remotely close to the potential of Steph Klay or Green not to mention the Warriors where in the lottery for ages before this team was a thing suddenly everyone acts like they where in the playoffs year after year and these guys are 30 something's who broke out.
It was a young lottery team that grew and developed due to star talent its a lot more Akin to Philly' Minny' Mil etc than people are willing to admit.

FOXHOUND
03-15-2016, 05:40 PM
much rather have taken Embiid with his injury over anyone who went after him including Gordon who isnt a good fit with Noel anyway.

Gordon would fit with Noel better than Embiid or Okafor ever will, because he's a PF and they are C's. I totally get wanting Embiid for his potential, but those young C's can never reach their potential playing in a C logjam and next to each which will cramp their games. If they wanted Embiid to build around then they should have explored moving Noel for someone who would fit next to Embiid, let alone draft another C in Okafor.

To me, Noel and Gordon isn't a bad fit. I see arguably the most athletic PF/C combo in the league, after Blake and Jordan, and a pair that can develop into the top defensive big duo in the league. Combined with LaVine and Hezonja/Mudiay, I see a lighting fast team that could run teams off the court and create a ton of turnover's with an explosive defense.

This 76ers roster, I don't know what I see. A pair of C's who fit horribly surrounded by dleague players and the prospect of adding yet another C and another PF to the mix to just muddy it up even more.

Corey
03-15-2016, 05:44 PM
Lou Williams and Evan Turner on the same team would give a coach nightmares.

Turner has been great for Boston this year. Coaches and teammates love him

Hawkeye15
03-15-2016, 05:45 PM
Turner has been great for Boston this year. Coaches and teammates love him

Brad......Stevens is why

FOXHOUND
03-15-2016, 05:49 PM
Exept Many where confident in Curry to become at least an allstar talent...
I assure you if we had Stephen Curry on our roster we wouldn't have been tanking by any means you tell me anyone out of Jrue Holiday Lou Willams Evan Turner Thad Young and Spencer Hawes has anything remotely close to the potential of Steph Klay or Green not to mention the Warriors where in the lottery for ages before this team was a thing suddenly everyone acts like they where in the playoffs year after year and these guys are 30 something's who broke out.
It was a young lottery team that grew and developed due to star talent its a lot more Akin to Philly' Minny' Mil etc than people are willing to admit.

Yeah, I agree. I loved Jrue but they had a mix of him with older talent like Iggy and that team wasn't built to grow into something more. GS was a completely different situation with the Curry and Klay backcourt, even before Green exploded and became much more than anyone expected. Turner has proven to be a good player, a very good 6th man. Maybe if they had another young player closer to Jrue's ability.

But people have to remember what happened. They traded Iggy for Andrew Bynum, which was a disaster. It was only after that that they went with the full on rebuild. It's not like they went from game 7 in 2nd round with Iggy to blowing it up that same offseason. It wasn't until after next season when they went 34-48 after that horrible trade. It was absolutely the right decision as a franchise.

Alayla
03-15-2016, 06:48 PM
If that is what you think then I can't help you there.

The point was to get some opinions on whether or not they would have been better off slowly building with what they had and gradually adding more talent through lower picks and free agency. Or if they made the right move to tank and accumulate picks and top tier prospects while their attendance and fan support slowly dwindled.

Truthfully, I haven't fully formed an opinion on the matter yet. Holiday, Young and Vucevic are all very talented players in this league. While they are not cornerstone players, they are certainly guys you can win with with the proper coaching. Not to mention, if they were hovering around 35 wins with those guys then whose to say some bigger name free agents wouldn't of signed with them to put them over the top ?

Vucevic was not part of that team he was traded in the Bynum Deal it would have been Spencer Hawes and no signing FA wouldn't help as we have never been much of a FA Destination and Realistically no one good enough to bring the team into contention would have even considered us even had they done so what FA outside of LBJ so far would have been good enough to take us to that level the last few years?

Alayla
03-15-2016, 06:59 PM
Yeah, I agree. I loved Jrue but they had a mix of him with older talent like Iggy and that team wasn't built to grow into something more. GS was a completely different situation with the Curry and Klay backcourt, even before Green exploded and became much more than anyone expected. Turner has proven to be a good player, a very good 6th man. Maybe if they had another young player closer to Jrue's ability.

But people have to remember what happened. They traded Iggy for Andrew Bynum, which was a disaster. It was only after that that they went with the full on rebuild. It's not like they went from game 7 in 2nd round with Iggy to blowing it up that same offseason. It wasn't until after next season when they went 34-48 after that horrible trade. It was absolutely the right decision as a franchise.

Right Jrue was so fun to watch and I was heartbroken when we traded him but I was excited about Noel and the direction of the team overall.

Alayla
03-15-2016, 07:09 PM
Gordon would fit with Noel better than Embiid or Okafor ever will, because he's a PF and they are C's. I totally get wanting Embiid for his potential, but those young C's can never reach their potential playing in a C logjam and next to each which will cramp their games. If they wanted Embiid to build around then they should have explored moving Noel for someone who would fit next to Embiid, let alone draft another C in Okafor.

To me, Noel and Gordon isn't a bad fit. I see arguably the most athletic PF/C combo in the league, after Blake and Jordan, and a pair that can develop into the top defensive big duo in the league. Combined with LaVine and Hezonja/Mudiay, I see a lighting fast team that could run teams off the court and create a ton of turnover's with an explosive defense.

This 76ers roster, I don't know what I see. A pair of C's who fit horribly surrounded by dleague players and the prospect of adding yet another C and another PF to the mix to just muddy it up even more.

While I'll admit I liked Lavine in the draft compared with Saric. I would rather have Embiid than Gordon as well.
I understand from the outside looking in the center situation is very ugly but IMO our center of the future is Noel until Embiid proves otherwise most of us consider anything from Embiid as a bonus at this point.
Okafor is the one who gets moved (fanbase is pretty spilt on this honestly) imo because his skillset isn't ideal at his natural position he will at some point soon be packaged for a star or a young guard with high potential.
Then what the rest of the roster looks like is entirely dependant on who we get this draft.

ewing
03-15-2016, 10:14 PM
Brad......Stevens is why

Turner is a clown but he is actually a very fundamentally sound player. he tried to score too much on the sixers but i can't blame him.

IKnowHoops
03-15-2016, 10:35 PM
Jrue Holiday
Lou Williams
Evan Turner
Thaddeus Young
Nikola Vucevic

Are you serious? That team is garbage and would be doomed for mediocrity. As a fan you want to see the possibility of a bright future where you challenge for a title. I'm not a fan of the sixers but I love what they are doing even though they suck right now. Its all good. With the warriors, spurs, Bron OKC all in there primes, there is not need to even try to win. Best bet is to build from scratch and hope that your ready once Steph, Bron and KD are done killing the rest of the league.

mudvayne387
03-16-2016, 07:45 AM
Let me just say one thing. The Sixers better pray they get the #1 overall pick so they can take Ingram. If they go #2 they almost have to take Simmons and boy, are we talking about a real mess of a roster.

2-ONE-5
03-16-2016, 08:50 AM
i prefer Ingram but still think Simmons goes 1 even if its to us

PhillyFaninLA
03-16-2016, 08:53 AM
Let me just say one thing. The Sixers better pray they get the #1 overall pick so they can take Ingram. If they go #2 they almost have to take Simmons and boy, are we talking about a real mess of a roster.

When I see a post like this it tells me you knowingly made this topic as a troll or bait topic....can you man up and admit why you really made this topic....troll a bad team, I'm funny, witty, and clever and strangers on the internet will post in my topic, yaay go me

Seriously you made this to troll and bait and you won't admit it

PhillyFaninLA
03-16-2016, 08:57 AM
i prefer Ingram but still think Simmons goes 1 even if its to us

Simmons to me is without question the more talented player but I'm concerned about his heart. A superstar talent is supposed to be able to take a team on his back in college and that 40 point loss is a bit concerning.

Also when do you ever see one of this 1 year players get suspended for there academics.

Simmons at 1 you have to strongly consider but I agree Ingram may be the safer pick. Simmons has a shot at being a generational player and Ingram has potential to be an all star. Hopefully we end up with either one of them.

Best case scenario I think Ingram is better day one but year 3 I'm not so sure.

I trust Colengelo (who I 100% believe will be pulling the strings while Hinkie will be the face) this offseason to put together a team.

mudvayne387
03-16-2016, 09:17 AM
When I see a post like this it tells me you knowingly made this topic as a troll or bait topic....can you man up and admit why you really made this topic....troll a bad team, I'm funny, witty, and clever and strangers on the internet will post in my topic, yaay go me

Bub, I'm a Knicks fan. I don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to "trolling" the Sixers. We are in just as bad (if not worse) of a position as you guys are.

I made the thread because I find the 76ers situation extremely interesting. And quite honestly if you guys have success going this route then we are going to see a major overhaul in how teams rebuild.

I don't think you guys understand the gravity of this situation. If in three years the Sixers are title contenders, then you are going to have fringe playoff teams do the exact same thing you guys did. It will be an arms race for "who can be the worst".

Furthermore, I am not blaming the Sixers for what they are doing. To this date there are no rules against it so more power to them. But to say that this was the best way to go about things is widely debatable.

ewing
03-16-2016, 09:19 AM

just b/c his opinion is different then yours doesn't make him a troll. I agree that this topic has been beaten down a little but whatever

PhillyFaninLA
03-16-2016, 09:27 AM
just b/c his opinion is different then yours doesn't make him a troll. I agree that this topic has been beaten down a little but whatever

I'm not talking about opinion disagreement, I'm talking about purpose of him creating the topic in the first place...he won't man up and admit why he really made it

PhillyFaninLA
03-16-2016, 09:31 AM
Bub, I'm a Knicks fan. I don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to "trolling" the Sixers. We are in just as bad (if not worse) of a position as you guys are.

I made the thread because I find the 76ers situation extremely interesting. And quite honestly if you guys have success going this route then we are going to see a major overhaul in how teams rebuild.

I don't think you guys understand the gravity of this situation. If in three years the Sixers are title contenders, then you are going to have fringe playoff teams do the exact same thing you guys did. It will be an arms race for "who can be the worst".

Furthermore, I am not blaming the Sixers for what they are doing. To this date there are no rules against it so more power to them. But to say that this was the best way to go about things is widely debatable.

I'm not talking about opinion disagreement, I'm talking about purpose of him creating the topic in the first place...he won't man up and admit why he really made it

I retract my initial statement

Alayla
03-16-2016, 10:01 AM

As I and many others have proven its really not debatable.
When you have a line up of Jrue N.Young Turner T.Young Hawes and Lou 6th
You really have no choice but even if you did have a choice other than totally trading everyone after the Holiday trade you really don't because Trading Jrue Holiday for Noel and the Pels pick is ultimately when people arbitrarily deemed we where tanking and giving us all the media jeers they can jeer xD leading to guys like Thad threatening to walk at that point you sort of have no choice in the matter but to tank.

I don't think people where aware of the utter hopelessness of that situation even getting back into the playoffs at that point for a low seed would have been an uphill battle even before the Jrue trade let alone after it.

Scoots
03-17-2016, 12:24 AM
It seems like every thread that mentions the Sixers immediately has posts explaining "the process" :)

Alayla
03-17-2016, 12:38 AM
It seems like every thread that mentions the Sixers immediately has posts explaining "the process" :)

Considering that explanation is literally what he's asking about id say that was a bad time for you to say that.