PDA

View Full Version : Who would you rather build around for the next decade?

naps
03-13-2016, 06:36 AM
Anthony Davis or Karl Anthony Towns?

AD kinda took a step back from last year. I didnt look at his numbers and it might very well be because his team didn't take the next step as expected and instead got injury riddled and became a lottery team again. I have watched a quite a handful of Pelicans games this year and it seemed AD certainly didnt make the next step himself, rather regressed from last year. My eye test might be wrong though.

On the other hand, KAT looks like the sure fire superstar in the making. He's certainly got the tools to be one and so far has been extremely impressive. I actually didnt think he would be playing this good in his rookie year.

So the question is, who would you take as your first pick and build around between the two? Explain why.

More-Than-Most
03-13-2016, 06:51 AM
AD and it shouldnt be close. We are talking about a 23 year old beast who is already one of the top 5 players in the game... Towns has had a great season but AD is a monster

naps
03-13-2016, 06:57 AM
AD is certainly the better player now by a good margin but I made this thread based on both of their potentials and trajectories.

Gander13SM
03-13-2016, 07:05 AM
Davis. I think they'll be almost on par in the future but right now Davis just has the better skillset and he's proven. Only concern is the injury issues he's had this year.

DanG
03-13-2016, 07:18 AM
You can't really go wrong, but I just like KAT more.

KnicksorBust
03-13-2016, 07:33 AM
You can't really go wrong, but I just like KAT more.

Basically this. I dont think anyone should be calling it a no brainer with what KAT has done this season.

Chronz
03-13-2016, 11:44 AM
It's a no brainer based on what AD has done tho. No guarantee that KAT takes those steps. In nba2k i make this trade cuz i KNOW.

ManningToTyree
03-13-2016, 11:44 AM
I'm taking Davis but they will probably be the best two big men in basketball for a very long time.

Dade County
03-13-2016, 12:31 PM
I would love it, if AD was on the HEAT. Pat would build around AD & Whiteside and have one of the greatest defenses ever for like a 6yr run. (Ok I'll get back on topic LoL)

I like both players, and I don't see anyway you could go wrong with picking either of them. The only thing I could say is that I wish that these 2 guys played in the East. West is too stacked.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
03-13-2016, 12:52 PM
I'm hoping Pelicans land a top pick.

5ass
03-13-2016, 02:06 PM
Would the Wolves trade Lavine, Wiggins and their pick for AD? Put together the most dominant front court in the NBA.

Raps08-09 Champ
03-13-2016, 02:12 PM
Davis just because it's more of a safe bet at this point in time. But I think KAT will be a top 5 player in the league (with strong MVP contender years) while Davis wins a few MVPs and ends up a top 5 PF all time. .

Scoots
03-13-2016, 02:24 PM
AD. KAT has been a great rookie but AD IS a great player.

mngopher35
03-13-2016, 03:05 PM
Would the Wolves trade Lavine, Wiggins and their pick for AD? Put together the most dominant front court in the NBA.

Yes, I would.

As for the topic ad has proven himself at this point so he's the safe pick here. Personally I would not make a swap of the two though as a wolves fan. I absolutely love the potential/skill set of towns. I'm sure Pelicans fans feel the same about ad though.

phantasyyy
03-13-2016, 03:07 PM

If I was the Wolves I'd say no.. I mean AD is a great talent but its not just not worth giving up a potential top 4 pick when you already have Dieng to man the front with KAT. Not to mention it depletes their backcourt.

mngopher35
03-13-2016, 03:17 PM
If I was the Wolves I'd say no.. I mean AD is a great talent but its not just not worth giving up a potential top 4 pick when you already have Dieng to man the front with KAT. Not to mention it depletes their backcourt.

The thing is with AD/Towns we could really open up the court yet still have the size/defense small ball teams can generally lack. It makes Rubio's deficiencies as a shooter lessen and his ability to run the floor and set people up is now maximized. Moving forward we would need to add a 3/D wing but I just couldn't turn down the opportunity to pair two potential MVP candidates like that (I personally don't think Wiggins hits that level which may be the difference in our opinions). Even without AD I think Dieng is going to eventually be a good 3rd big for a top level team, not a starter.

Scoots
03-13-2016, 03:23 PM
There is almost no deal the Pelicans offered for AD that the Wolves should refuse.

Hawkeye15
03-14-2016, 09:35 AM
Davis for the reasons above, but I would love to re-visit this question next season, when Davis is making $20 million, and KAT is making $6 million, and may be putting up the same results...

Hawkeye15
03-14-2016, 09:37 AM
There is almost no deal the Pelicans offered for AD that the Wolves should refuse.

I wouldn't trade KAT in any trade. Like none.

DboneG
03-14-2016, 03:30 PM
Strange...some of these same bloggers didn't pick AD as a 2016 first team All-Pro pick in a previous thread...or a top 5 player in another thread. But, they will build around AD for the next decade... lol Strange brew

mrblisterdundee
03-14-2016, 03:36 PM
AD and it shouldnt be close. We are talking about a 23 year old beast who is already one of the top 5 players in the game... Towns has had a great season but AD is a monster

Compared to where Anthony Davis was his first year, Karl-Anthony Towns is the beast. Both averaged about 2 blocks per 36 minutes, but rookie Towns has outperformed rookie Davis in most other ways, including his nascent three-point shot.
It's too soon to tell, but Towns seems to be at least as good as Davis.
At this point, I'll go out on a limb ... with Towns.

tredigs
03-14-2016, 04:07 PM
Towns and I would not think twice about it. A) I think his ceiling is higher than AD's (and I think he will get there very soon), B) AD is extremely injury prone. C) AD's drop off this year is alarming, and it turns out he's unlikely to be the defensive juggernaut we were hoping for.

Jeffy25
03-14-2016, 08:09 PM
It's a no brainer based on what AD has done tho. No guarantee that KAT takes those steps. In nba2k i make this trade cuz i KNOW.

Get online and let's play 2K NOW!

Jeffy25
03-14-2016, 08:12 PM
Performance only, I would want AD at this point for the next 10 years.

I love Towns upside, but you know what AD is today, and Towns may never reach that ceiling.

tredigs
03-14-2016, 09:56 PM
Performance only, I would want AD at this point for the next 10 years.

I love Towns upside, but you know what AD is today, and Towns may never reach that ceiling.

You do know with Towns though. He's a 20 yr old rookie and already one of the best bigs in the league. There's literally no scenario outside of a major injury where he is not a top-flight superstar in 2 seasons.

Alayla
03-14-2016, 10:10 PM
AD would make me a little more comfortable frankly but Towns is definitely comparable
As for the idea of the Wolves trading for AD you give up anything not named Towns its common sense.
Towns and Davis would be so filthy its not even funny.

R. Johnson#3
03-14-2016, 10:38 PM
Karl Anthony Towns for me but there really is no wrong answer. They're both going to be superstars for years to come. KAT's offensive game is already so advanced for a rookie big man it's not even funny. I think it's safe to say he's more advanced than Anthony Davis was as a rookie on the offensive end. Davis has him on the defensive end though. I just love KAT's game.

Jeffy25
03-14-2016, 11:17 PM
Karl Anthony Towns for me but there really is no wrong answer. They're both going to be superstars for years to come. KAT's offensive game is already so advanced for a rookie big man it's not even funny. I think it's safe to say he's more advanced than Anthony Davis was as a rookie on the offensive end. Davis has him on the defensive end though. I just love KAT's game.

Your sig....why would you want a career .303 hitter to lead off for that lineup (I realize that's a baseball question)

IKnowHoops
03-14-2016, 11:50 PM
I think you have to trade Lavine, Wiggins and the pick for Anthony. Rebuild is over and you just bring in the pieces to try and win a championship every year.

If you can keep those two together of the duration of there careers, I think you guarantee yourself a few rings. Gotta go out and try to get Phil to coach though.

mrblisterdundee
03-15-2016, 01:49 AM
I think you have to trade Lavine, Wiggins and the pick for Anthony. Rebuild is over and you just bring in the pieces to try and win a championship every year.
If you can keep those two together of the duration of there careers, I think you guarantee yourself a few rings. Gotta go out and try to get Phil to coach though.

I hope you mean Anthony Davis. Because even the Timberwolves aren't silly enough to trade for Carmelo Anthony at this point in the franchise.

mngopher35
03-15-2016, 02:38 AM
I hope you mean Anthony Davis. Because even the Timberwolves aren't silly enough to trade for Carmelo Anthony at this point in the franchise.

Ya, someone mentioned Anthony Davis for Wiggins/Lavine/Pick earlier that I responded to. It has to be that.

IKnowHoops
03-15-2016, 02:57 AM

Actually I meant Greg Anthony

Of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I meant Anthony Davis!

One, this thread is about Anthony Davis and Towns.
Two, another poster asked the question earlier if the Wolves would trade Wiggins, Lavine and the pick for AD.

Just playin around with ya though up top. No disrespect meant.

ewing
03-15-2016, 08:07 AM
I'm picking AD. I hate everyone who plays for Coach Cal. though. Seems like they usually bust too. neither will be great :)

R. Johnson#3
03-15-2016, 08:37 AM
Your sig....why would you want a career .303 hitter to lead off for that lineup (I realize that's a baseball question)

Because he's the best option we have at the moment. Last year was his first full season and he only got better as time went on. He hit over .300 from June on last year and dropped his k rate in a big way as the season progressed. He was top 30 in the league in k rate. He also hit over .320 when leading off an inning last year. Leadoff hitters don't always need a high OBP. Ben Revere never has had one and he did great in the leadoff spot for us last year.

Jeffy25
03-15-2016, 08:39 AM
Because he's the best option we have at the moment. Last year was his first full season and he only got better as time went on. He hit over .300 from June on last year and dropped his k rate in a big way as the season progressed. He was top 30 in the league in k rate. He also hit over .320 when leading off an inning last year. Leadoff hitters don't always need a high OBP. Ben Revere never has had one and he did great in the leadoff spot for us last year.

Not to get into this too much, but he isn't one of your three best hitters.

You would be better off with Tulo, Martin, E5, or Bautista leading off.

Revere shouldn't leadoff either.

That spot needs to get on base :)

IndyRealist
03-15-2016, 08:49 AM
Davis took a major step back this year. Turnovers are up, blocks are down, and he's shooting worse on 2s. I wonder how much of this is the offense pushing him further out vs. his team performing poorly? I mean, Asik and Evans have hardly played, and the rest of the team....

This year, I'd take KAT. Long term, you have to think that a lot of what's going on is out of AD's control, and he can regain his form if the organization rights the ship or he gets a change of scenery.

JasonJohnHorn
03-15-2016, 09:09 AM
You can't make a call like this based on potential.

AD.

He's by far the better player, and certainly the better two-way player.

R. Johnson#3
03-15-2016, 09:52 AM
Not to get into this too much, but he isn't one of your three best hitters.

You would be better off with Tulo, Martin, E5, or Bautista leading off.

Revere shouldn't leadoff either.

That spot needs to get on base :)

He hasn't played 3rd base in years. It's EE now! Lol

There's also no way in hell Bautista, Tulo or EE should be leading off. They're much better suited hitting in the middle of the order so they have more opportunities to drive in runs. We saw Tulo lead off last year and he even said he wasn't comfortable there. If Martin didn't strike out as much as he does then I'd be for hitting him leadoff.

Call me old school but the leadoff spot is about getting an early lead. What I look for in a leadoff hitter is a high BA, high OBP, a low k rate and speed. Pillar has 3 of those things. I know his BA didn't look great on the season as a whole but like I said, he was over .300 from June on. Taking a walk won't really be a huge issue for our leadoff hitter because no pitcher in the right mind would try and be cute when Donaldson, Bautista, Edwin and Tulo are all waiting to come up. They're going to go after our leadoff hitter all year long. If Pillar gets to 1st base he is by far the easiest Jay to cash in and I'm not even talking about stolen bases. Bautista, Tulo and especially Edwin would more than likely not make it to 3rd on a single where as Pillar likely would.

I'm sorry but you can't "not get into this" with me. I've been arguing this for quite some time with the whole Jays forum lol.

Jeffy25
03-15-2016, 10:14 AM
^ill pm you

PowerHouse
03-15-2016, 10:21 AM

Im sure you meant .303 obp

Good question though. But there's just a huge shortage of fast guys that know how to pick up walks in the game today.

Jeffy25
03-15-2016, 10:23 AM
Im sure you meant .303 obp

Good question though. But there's just a huge shortage of fast guys that know how to pick up walks in the game today.

I did, but out of respect to this discussion, I PM'd the guy :)

nycericanguy
03-15-2016, 10:29 AM
Towns, because he's cheap and under control for 4 more years, vs Davis at $25m per year.

And secondly because AD is looking like he might be injury prone.

KAT may or may not end up as good as AD, but he's not going to be much worse either.

naps
03-15-2016, 03:39 PM
Why are people suggesting the idea of pairing both them? I mean it sounds sexy on paper but I think the days of having a combo of dominant bigmen are over with the direction the league is going. AD won't be able to keep up with smaller and quicker power forwards defensively. Small ball will make them take one of them off the floor eventually.

Alayla
03-15-2016, 07:14 PM
Why are people suggesting the idea of pairing both them? I mean it sounds sexy on paper but I think the days of having a combo of dominant bigmen are over with the direction the league is going. AD won't be able to keep up with smaller and quicker power forwards defensively. Small ball will make them take one of them off the floor eventually.

That direction of the league stuff is silly if you have AD and KAT on the same team the league needs to adjust to YOU not the other way around.

mrblisterdundee
03-15-2016, 07:25 PM

Both of them can shoot. Towns drills 1.5 threes a game at more than 34 percent. And I'm pretty sure Davis is more athletic than most other power forwards. Davis and Towns would be the closest to Tim Duncan and David Robinson we've come in a long time.

IKnowHoops
03-16-2016, 12:15 AM

I disagree. I think AD is one of the quickest and fastest PF in the NBA. He's faster thane Blake or K Love.

IKnowHoops
03-16-2016, 12:22 AM
On the other hand if the Wolves got the #1 pick in the draft, I would probably keep Lavine, Wiggins, and Ben Simmons instead of trading for AD. I guess based off potential...would you rather have a Prime David Robinson(AD) or would you rather have a prime Westbrook(Lavine), Prime Tmac(Wiggins), and a 2nd year Lebron(Simmons).

I love Drob, he is my favorite player ever, but I would take the other 3 pretty easily instead of having one Drob.

Scoots
03-17-2016, 12:35 AM
I disagree. I think AD is one of the quickest and fastest PF in the NBA. He's faster thane Blake or K Love.

Yes. AD is actually able to bother Steph on occasion with his lateral speed and his length.

Jets012
03-17-2016, 02:08 AM
I'll take KAT.

I know AD is an analytics monster, but something is missing about his game. I know we shouldn't ever try to attribute a team's performance on the hands of one player, but in my opinion, no top 5 player should be missing the playoffs unless their supporting cast is that atrocious. The Pelicans honestly have no business being 25-42 if Davis was as elite as everyone says he is. I understand they don't have the best core around him, but it's not nearly as poor as it could be. There's something missing in terms of his overall impact of his game. Take a look at Dwight's Orlando teams, LeBron's Cavs teams, or Paul's Hornets teams. Those guys were regarded as top 3-5 players for a while and rightfully so because no matter who their supporting cast was, they were guaranteed to make the best of it and field a competitive team. Hell even Lillard is carrying a mediocre group to a great record this year.

For some reason, Davis hasn't been able to do that yet. He's putting up tremendous volume stats, but it hasn't be translating to an overall impact on the game that it should be. Even last year when he played incredible it didn't translate as much as it should. I think this is due to a variety of reasons.

One Davis is injury prone like someone said earlier. His defensive impact also is incredibly overrated. He's not an elite level rim protector like some make him out to be. He doesn't have the overall defensive effect on a team that someone like Dwight had or even that Duncan has this year.

KAT to me is a guy who can do it all. He doesn't really have a weakness. He's incredibly efficient down low, can play on the perimeter, is a solid defender (already better than Davis IMO), passes well, and runs the floor. He doesn't in my estimation have a glaring weakness. He should only get better too. He's better than Davis was in my opinion his rookie year. He was an EXTREMELY raw guy coming out of high school at St. Josephs Metuchen too. Sky is the limit for him. I see no reason why he won't be a top 3 player for years to come unless injuries or some glaring extraneous circumstance comes up.