PDA

View Full Version : 2 Former Clippers help the Grizzlies maintain their matchup vs LA

Chronz
03-12-2016, 02:07 AM
Lance Stephenson just notched his career high in PTS, Matt "EFF Fisher" Barnes messed around and got a triple double, helping Memphis win without their stars. Clips vs Grizz #3 looms ahead, is this all a ploy from former Clippers to help us advance or is this them fighting for revenge?

In unrelated news, Doc Rivers hates good role players.

Chronz
03-12-2016, 02:10 AM
Clips gave up on some pitbulls. Im loving that Memphis told Management not to release Lance. Dude is tearing it up for them.

flea
03-12-2016, 02:25 AM
I've never liked Rivers as a GM or coach. Nobody disputes the GM part anymore, but some still hold out on the opinion that he is "inspiring" or something. Whatever, being an NBA head coach is not brain surgery - your main job is not to screw it up and he does a good enough job at that. But anything extra or useful he won't provide.

As for Barnes, IDK the cap situation but I would have kept him over the trash forwards they have churned through (Moute, Smith, Johnson). He knew the system, didn't require the ball, and was versatile on both ends even if old. At worst you've got a good 20 MPG forward. I've liked him since the Magic but I realize his limitations - it's still valuable to have continuity, especially at your weakest position.

As for Lance, that was an abortion from day 1 and it's all because of baby boy Rivers. Lance is clearly better, and better served as a ballhandler. So he's a headcase, so what? This is the NBA, 80% of guys are headcases. Always have been, always will. You have to learn to maximize them. Pop did it with Diaw, Jackson with Rodman, Brown with Sheed. Hell just this year Stevens has done it with Thomas, Donovan with Waiters, Vogel with Ellis, etc. I get that some guys are like Cousins (utterly stupid and hopeless) but Lance always struck me as a guy who at least could contribute and didn't have some sort of idiotic idea of him being Lebron Jr. Doc never explored that, and lost his best bench guard as a result.

Maybe between Crawford/Paul there weren't enough shots or something - I don't buy it but I don't rule it out. Still, Rivers has seen his depth-shy team lose a good guard and forward midseason and a good wing prior to the season. All that has to lie at his feet first. He's just lucky that the NBA is a talent league and he's got CP3 and some great role players in Reddick and DJ. He better hope Blake owns the playoffs, otherwise it's probably his *** if that fat Microsoft guy is any less of a joke than he appears.

Chronz
03-12-2016, 02:44 AM
I've never liked Rivers as a GM or coach. Nobody disputes the GM part anymore, but some still hold out on the opinion that he is "inspiring" or something. Whatever, being an NBA head coach is not brain surgery - your main job is not to screw it up and he does a good enough job at that. But anything extra or useful he won't provide.
Starting to come around on that but I've been on the Rivers bandwagon since 99.

As for Barnes, IDK the cap situation but I would have kept him over the trash forwards they have churned through (Moute, Smith, Johnson). He knew the system, didn't require the ball, and was versatile on both ends even if old. At worst you've got a good 20 MPG forward. I've liked him since the Magic but I realize his limitations - it's still valuable to have continuity, especially at your weakest position.

Interesting take on it, I've loved Barnes since his first 10 day contract with us but Lance and Moute were pretty good supplements to hedge Barnes eventual decline.

As for Lance, that was an abortion from day 1 and it's all because of baby boy Rivers. Lance is clearly better, and better served as a ballhandler. So he's a headcase, so what? This is the NBA, 80% of guys are headcases. Always have been, always will. You have to learn to maximize them. Pop did it with Diaw, Jackson with Rodman, Brown with Sheed. Hell just this year Stevens has done it with Thomas, Donovan with Waiters, Vogel with Ellis, etc. I get that some guys are like Cousins (utterly stupid and hopeless) but Lance always struck me as a guy who at least could contribute and didn't have some sort of idiotic idea of him being Lebron Jr. Doc never explored that, and lost his best bench guard as a result.
Im thinking the fact that nobody inquired about his son and teams were hoping to sign Lance if he cleared waivers was just chalked up as a fact that teams knew he was untouchable. Lance never got a chance, he was playing backup PF ffs and he was STILL outplaying Rivers.

Maybe between Crawford/Paul there weren't enough shots or something - I don't buy it but I don't rule it out. Still, Rivers has seen his depth-shy team lose a good guard and forward midseason and a good wing prior to the season. All that has to lie at his feet first. He's just lucky that the NBA is a talent league and he's got CP3 and some great role players in Reddick and DJ. He better hope Blake owns the playoffs, otherwise it's probably his *** if that fat Microsoft guy is any less of a joke than he appears.
Had we found a taker for Crawford, Lance would have filled his role. Assuming Doc realizes he has no alternative (he gave JC a really long leash), he would have given Lance more rope. Im not excusing him because Im with you, there are enough touches to go around with Blake gone but hes giving those to Austin.

Im hearing Docs may finally be on the hot seat tho.