PDA

View Full Version : Joey Crawford retires immediately.

Longhornfan1234
03-10-2016, 02:05 PM
https://twitter.com/NBAcom/status/707980031079874560

Joey Crawford's 39-year @NBA career is officially over due to injury

This is good for the NBA.

Sly Guy
03-10-2016, 02:47 PM
39 years too late. Hope he gets well and all, but I'm extremely happy with the news.

Scoots
03-10-2016, 03:37 PM
I don't think that he was always awful ... but there is always at least one really terrible ref ... who is the top (bottom) dog now?

CHANGO
03-10-2016, 09:16 PM
He was a bad, bad, bad ref. He made the most awful calls ever, I'm sure Timmy will miss him. :oldguy:

SportsFanatic10
03-10-2016, 11:08 PM
I won't miss him. He was pretty bad since he liked to draw attention to himself and that's the last thing a ref should do.

ghettosean
03-10-2016, 11:50 PM
Spurs have more of a chance now than ever of beating golden state... Lol.

Shady66
03-11-2016, 12:01 AM
He was bad for the league. Get well soon and enjoy retirement though.

prodigy
03-11-2016, 12:10 AM
I hated how he would always make calls from the other side of court. most of the time were wrong calls too. He loved attention. loved his camera time.

NBA is by far the worse officiated sport in the country as is. But it got slightly better.

TylerSL
03-11-2016, 01:16 AM
Good ****ing riddance. Honestly NBA officials are just really really bad at their jobs. They're not bad for any one team, they're just plain bad. They don't call travels, something is a foul one play and it's not the next. If they mess up one call they quickly give a make-up call. Just the other day, maybe yesterday, an official breaks into the Mavericks huddle just to bait a technical. The bad thing about it is this is just accepted tradition, like everyone is just supposed to accept that refs suck and move on.

The NBA is surging right now because of the level of talent coming into the league and never before has it the league been so rich with talent. This is the time to address this issue, it's the last major issue holding the sport back. This issue doesn't hold the sport back monetarily, which is unfortunately why the NBA won't do anything about this, but it does hold it back competitively. These officials and their agendas and big egos affect the outcome of games. Even one game can determine postseason seeding and match-ups, and that can go along way. Joey Crawford is gone, and that's a good thing. The bad thing is most of them are bad, and the NBA has next to no incentive to change it..

ManningToTyree
03-11-2016, 02:46 AM
Adios douche

LOb0
03-11-2016, 10:01 AM
lmao everyone is happy this guy is gone.

JasonJohnHorn
03-11-2016, 10:44 AM
He was a quantifiably horrid official.

pacofunk64
03-11-2016, 11:09 AM
He must not have been that bad to last in the league of best players for 39 years. I mean many refs have come and gone in that 39 years so it's not like once you're in you're in. Personally I didn't have any problems with the way he refs.

TrueFan420
03-11-2016, 11:26 AM
Spurs title chances just got a little better

Scoots
03-11-2016, 04:00 PM
He was a quantifiably horrid official.

But he wasn't. He reffed for nearly 40 years. Of course there is a lot of examples of him making mistakes. ANYBODY who does anything for 40 years is going to make mistakes. His ego certainly go the better of him several times. But he graded out among the best refs in the NBA for many years (you get to do playoffs and finals games because of your grades), and a lot of players and coaches really liked him. There were also some who couldn't stand him when he was having an ego game.

Steve Javie was similar in that he made himself the show a bunch of times, but he's also one of the best officials in grading out his calls too.

I'd much rather have an official who players and coaches can talk to and they can work with than some of the current batch of robots.

Avenged
03-11-2016, 05:20 PM
Go spurs go! Your chance is now!

Phantom Dreamer
03-12-2016, 03:04 AM
Heck of a career, enjoy your retirement, Joey.

prodigy
03-13-2016, 03:48 AM
he lasted 39 years because the NBA does not care. They really don't. unless he's calling fouls during timeouts the NBA don't care. Which I'm sure he's done that.

Chronz
03-13-2016, 02:42 PM
Good ****ing riddance. Honestly NBA officials are just really really bad at their jobs. They're not bad for any one team, they're just plain bad. They don't call travels, something is a foul one play and it's not the next. If they mess up one call they quickly give a make-up call. Just the other day, maybe yesterday, an official breaks into the Mavericks huddle just to bait a technical. The bad thing about it is this is just accepted tradition, like everyone is just supposed to accept that refs suck and move on.

The NBA is surging right now because of the level of talent coming into the league and never before has it the league been so rich with talent. This is the time to address this issue, it's the last major issue holding the sport back. This issue doesn't hold the sport back monetarily, which is unfortunately why the NBA won't do anything about this, but it does hold it back competitively. These officials and their agendas and big egos affect the outcome of games. Even one game can determine postseason seeding and match-ups, and that can go along way. Joey Crawford is gone, and that's a good thing. The bad thing is most of them are bad, and the NBA has next to no incentive to change it..

I didn't like the guy either but this is such an overreaction. You want bad refs, check the collegiate ranks, those guys are truly awful. NBA refs are pretty good imo and I definitely dont see what you see out there so lets not pass such subjectivity off as fact. Its not holding the NBA back because its not an issue.

Scoots
03-13-2016, 03:21 PM
The only real issue with Joey was his ego. He was a really good fair ref for the most part ... as long as his ego was out of it.

I think the game should reduce the reliance on replay and add a 4th ref to the court.

andy2518
03-13-2016, 03:26 PM
I didn't like the guy either but this is such an overreaction. You want bad refs, check the collegiate ranks, those guys are truly awful. NBA refs are pretty good imo and I definitely dont see what you see out there so lets not pass such subjectivity off as fact. Its not holding the NBA back because its not an issue.

Yep, college officials are total trash.

andy2518
03-13-2016, 03:27 PM
The only real issue with Joey was his ego. He was a really good fair ref for the most part ... as long as his ego was out of it.

I think the game should reduce the reliance on replay and add a 4th ref to the court.

Ya, he tried to steal the show on many occasions. As for being a ref, he was one of the better ones sadly enough to admit.

rhino17
03-13-2016, 03:32 PM
Easily the worst official in professional sport, the NBA is far better off without him

Joey was about HIMSELF, not the game, and every game he worked was worse off because of it. When he was involved in a contest, the product of the game was noticeably worse

Scoots
03-13-2016, 03:40 PM
Easily the worst official in professional sport, the NBA is far better off without him

Joey was about HIMSELF, not the game, and every game he worked was worse off because of it. When he was involved in a contest, the product of the game was noticeably worse

Yeah, that's why he graded out as one of the best refs in the NBA in many of his 39 years.

The worst officials in professional sports get fired REALLY quickly.