PDA

View Full Version : How 'bout dem Clippers?

JasonJohnHorn
03-10-2016, 09:51 AM
I've noticed some folks on PSD dismissing the Clippers, and their failure to secure a finals bid since the arrival of CP3 is frustrating; however, despite their modestly good record, this team is actually playing really well considering that they've been missing their MVP candidate for 30 games.

Last year both CP3 and BG finished in the top 10 for MVP voting. The year before Blake finished 3rd.

This year, the team has been without this MVP candidate for half their season, and yet they are still in 4th place and are trailing only the Spurs (who are on pace for 65 wins), the Warriors (who are on a historic pace) and the Thunder (who have two MVP candidates).

Their 41 wins in 60 or so games, then, are actually impressive.
Last season, when the Thunder was without MVP Kevin Durant for the same period of time, they fell well below .500, but the Clippers are on pace fore a 50-win season.

Don't get me wrong, Curry gets my MVP vote, but CP3 has been invaluable to this team and is certainly worthy of some MVP votes (top 5-not first) himself, given how important he is to his team, and the team on a whole has been playing quite well given that they are missing an MVP candidate in his prime.

Anybody else impressed by how this team has been able to stay in a strong 4th place all season in a very competitive Western conference?

tredigs
03-10-2016, 12:23 PM
They've been very solid and CP3 definitely deserves praise (he'll get those top 5 MVP votes for sure), but they were playing underwhelming ball with Griffin in. It's alarming that it was not until he left that they started playing better. Similar situation to when Blake was top 3 in MVP voting 2 years ago with Paul out for a couple months.

That said, they've had a fairly easy schedule in this stint and have begun slowing down of late (6-5 last 11) + have the Cavs/Spurs/Grizz/Warriors/Blazers all coming up over the next couple weeks (most on the road). They're coming back down to earth.

Tony_Starks
03-10-2016, 12:36 PM
Impressive, but not serious contender for the title impressive.

They got Paul Pierce about two years too late, he could've been the closer they'll need come playoff time.

KnicksorBust
03-10-2016, 12:38 PM
I've noticed some folks on PSD dismissing the Clippers, and their failure to secure a finals bid since the arrival of CP3 is frustrating; however, despite their modestly good record, this team is actually playing really well considering that they've been missing their MVP candidate for 30 games.

Last year both CP3 and BG finished in the top 10 for MVP voting. The year before Blake finished 3rd.

This year, the team has been without this MVP candidate for half their season, and yet they are still in 4th place and are trailing only the Spurs (who are on pace for 65 wins), the Warriors (who are on a historic pace) and the Thunder (who have two MVP candidates).

Their 41 wins in 60 or so games, then, are actually impressive.
Last season, when the Thunder was without MVP Kevin Durant for the same period of time, they fell well below .500, but the Clippers are on pace fore a 50-win season.

Don't get me wrong, Curry gets my MVP vote, but CP3 has been invaluable to this team and is certainly worthy of some MVP votes (top 5-not first) himself, given how important he is to his team, and the team on a whole has been playing quite well given that they are missing an MVP candidate in his prime.

Anybody else impressed by how this team has been able to stay in a strong 4th place all season in a very competitive Western conference?

Yeah I always think the Clippers are a threat to win the whole thing. Their collapse against the Rockets was such an incredible disappointment. I want CP3 vs. Curry in the playoffs.

The fact is they have a great core and a bad bench. That being said no excuses. Blake/CP3 are good enough as a duo to be able to beat any team in the league if they are healthy. They need to put their lackluster teammates on their back and carry them to the Finals. DeAndre Jordan and JJ will have some good games. I loved the Jeff Green move. I really think they are in the 2nd tier of title favorites.

Tier 1:
Warriors/Spurs/Cavs

Tier 2:
Clippers/Thunder

tredigs
03-10-2016, 12:45 PM
Nothing to love about the Jeff Green move imo. The guy is so worthless; he'll just go missing for weeks on end. What Rudy Gay was to All-Star potential (had it, just did not act on it) is what Jeff Green is to starter-level potential. Overall though, I agree. The reality is that their top 4 is more potent than just about everyone in the league.

KnicksorBust
03-10-2016, 03:45 PM
Nothing to love about the Jeff Green move imo. The guy is so worthless; he'll just go missing for weeks on end. What Rudy Gay was to All-Star potential (had it, just did not act on it) is what Jeff Green is to starter-level potential. Overall though, I agree. The reality is that their top 4 is more potent than just about everyone in the league.

Completely disagree. Clippers desperately needed another quality wing rotation player. Their depth is putrid. Don't you remember the series against the Rockets where they fell apart and lost 3 in a row?

Game 5:
Matt Barnes = 1/8 with -5 diff
Jamal Crawford = 2/10 with -16 diff
Austin Rivers = 3/11 with -17 diff

Game 6:
Matt Barnes = 4/12
Jamal Crawford = 4/13 with -27 diff
Austin Rivers = 2/8 with -14 diff

Game 7:
Matt Barnes = 0/2
Jamal Crawford = 6/18 with -22 diff
Austin Rivers = 1/4 with -17 diff

tredigs
03-10-2016, 03:53 PM
I know their wings struggle outside of JJ, but I just have to emphasize that you are not talking about a quality rotation player with Jeff Green. He has made a career of disappointing fans.

phantasyyy
03-10-2016, 04:02 PM

In fairness he did have a pretty good game yesterday against OKC haha. I didnt like the move since Doc pretty much used the last asset he had in that draft pick, but the Clippers desperately needed some wing help, and with Lance not producing it all for them they could have done worst than Green.

I think starting the season they just had too much confidence in Pierce regaining form but he has really shown his age this season and I dont think any1 feels confident he'll pick it up by playoff time. Which really sucks because day-in day-out the really dont know what they're going to get from that SF position with Pierce/Green/Johnson in and out of the rotation. Which makes that Lance-Barnes swap all that more puzzling(though they did get rid of Hawes). Even though Barnes struggled in the post-season I think it was more due to the fact that he was being played tooo many mins.

pebloemer
03-10-2016, 04:48 PM
They definitely deserve credit for being able to play consistently without Blake for so long.

They've struggled against the teams ahead of them in the standings. Most teams do, but I would be concerned about: 2-9 against GS/SAS/OKC/CLE/TOR

Twins Fanatic
03-10-2016, 05:17 PM
I'll revisit this at the start of next month, there upcoming schedule ain't doing them any favors. Gotta beat the better teams out there to earn credit/respect. Yeah there comeback win against OKC was impressive, but good luck doing that in a 7 game series. I'm not impressed nor unimpressed with the Clippers so far (even with Blake out); they seem to be sitting exactly where I would expect them to be.

Ball_Out
03-10-2016, 05:28 PM
Yeah I always think the Clippers are a threat to win the whole thing. Their collapse against the Rockets was such an incredible disappointment. I want CP3 vs. Curry in the playoffs.

The fact is they have a great core and a bad bench. That being said no excuses. Blake/CP3 are good enough as a duo to be able to beat any team in the league if they are healthy. They need to put their lackluster teammates on their back and carry them to the Finals. DeAndre Jordan and JJ will have some good games. I loved the Jeff Green move. I really think they are in the 2nd tier of title favorites.

Tier 1:
Warriors/Spurs/Cavs

Tier 2:
Clippers/Thunder

If the Cavs are a tier one team, so are the Clippers.

Twins Fanatic
03-10-2016, 05:48 PM

With that logic, the Raptors would also be on the same tier as the Clippers then. On a side note, I'm pretty sure the Raptors beat the Clippers once with Griffin and once without Griffin.

valade16
03-10-2016, 05:52 PM
The Clippers seem like the Thunder in that they got a championship level core (CP3, Blake, DJ) and have been abysmal at surrounding them with the talent necessary to win. Redick is the only other player on the team.

The thing separating the Clips and Thunder from the Spurs and Warriors is not Stephs or Kawhis. It's the Iggys, Livingstons, Boguts, Danny Greens, Mills, Wests and Diaws as opposed to the Waiters, Kanters, Rivers, Crawfords, etc.

Ball_Out
03-10-2016, 06:01 PM
With that logic, the Raptors would also be on the same tier as the Clippers then. On a side note, I'm pretty sure the Raptors beat the Clippers once with Griffin and once without Griffin.
Not even close. The clippers have three top ten players at their respective positions, a better coach, and more continuity. I like the Rapa, but they are a tier two team. The Cavs are as well in my opinion. I'm not one of these guys who concedes that any team LeBron is on is the best in the league. They fired a coach, one of the stars are unhappy, they have a first time coach who no experience at head coach, they lack depth.

D-Leethal
03-10-2016, 06:11 PM
Cavs are a tier 1 title contender because they are a shoe inn for the Finals and anything can happen to swing a single series in their favor. Clippers would have to beat a combination of OKC, SAS, GSW just to get to the Finals. Cavs will have no resistance en route to the Finals, Clips have a couple historic ones. That's why they belong in the 2nd tier and Cavs belong in tier 1 if you are talking overall likelihood of winning the NBA Finals and not overall talent level (which I would probably agree Clips are right on par with the Cavs).

Gametime
03-10-2016, 06:44 PM
I think we are all learning over the years that Doc is just an ok coach but not a great coach that is championship caliber. Yes I know he barely got one on one of the best rosters in league history to 1 title but that doesn't make him great.

What he is, is about a 55 win coach each year but can't get up to 60+ wins like many other great coaches that have coached in the NBA.

KnicksorBust
03-10-2016, 08:27 PM

Tier 1:
Warriors/Spurs/Cavs

Tier 2:
Clippers/Thunder

You think the Clippers have as good a chance to win the title as the Cavs? Be serious.

Sadds The Gr8
03-11-2016, 04:58 AM
You think the Clippers have as good a chance to win the title as the Cavs? Be serious.

I think they're the same caliber, but the Cavs are in the east so they obviously have a better chance to win a title. I think they'd be 4-5 in the West if they were in that conference.

JasonJohnHorn
03-11-2016, 11:24 AM

I agree 100%. I've never seen the appeal in Green.

They would have been much better off pushing hard for Joe Johnson.

JasonJohnHorn
03-11-2016, 11:29 AM

I think in all seriousness, they do have as good a chance to beat the Warriors or Spurs as the Cavs; in fact, I'd say they had a better chance when healthy.

But that is different than chances to win a championship. The Cavs essentially have a straight path the finals and it is their's to lose the finals berth. At which point they will only be 4 wins away from a title.

So yes... the Cavs have a better shot to win a title; but the Clippers (when healthy) have a better shot of competing against the Spurs or the Warriors. Unfortunately for them, they will have to beat both teams just to get a shot at the title.

So depending on how you interpret this, yes, the Clips do have a better chance.

I mean, sure, they are 5 wins behind the Cavs, but they are playing in a conference where two of the three teams ahead of them had 9 and 13 wins more than the Cavs, and the other team is right on the Cavs heels, where the next best team the Cavs have to worry about is a group of guys who got knocked out of the first round by the Wizards last year.

KnicksorBust
03-11-2016, 12:55 PM
I know their wings struggle outside of JJ, but I just have to emphasize that you are not talking about a quality rotation player with Jeff Green. He has made a career of disappointing fans.

I would say shooting 23/86 with a point differential of about -100 is a little worse than a "struggle." Maybe he disappointed fans when he was miscast as a 1st or 2nd option but as the motivated 5th option on a contending team where he is spoon-fed easy shots by two of the best passers for their positions in the NBA? He can thrive in that role. They can win with him scoring 10ppg and if he has a hot shooting night every 3rd game or so he can easily drop 20 points and swing a game. That would have gotten then by the Rockets. There is no doubt in my mind about that and anytime you can make a move that pushes you one round further in the playoffs you do it no question.

KnicksorBust
03-11-2016, 12:56 PM
I think they're the same caliber, but the Cavs are in the east so they obviously have a better chance to win a title. I think they'd be 4-5 in the West if they were in that conference.

I think in all seriousness, they do have as good a chance to beat the Warriors or Spurs as the Cavs; in fact, I'd say they had a better chance when healthy.

But that is different than chances to win a championship. The Cavs essentially have a straight path the finals and it is their's to lose the finals berth. At which point they will only be 4 wins away from a title.

So yes... the Cavs have a better shot to win a title; but the Clippers (when healthy) have a better shot of competing against the Spurs or the Warriors. Unfortunately for them, they will have to beat both teams just to get a shot at the title.

So depending on how you interpret this, yes, the Clips do have a better chance.

I mean, sure, they are 5 wins behind the Cavs, but they are playing in a conference where two of the three teams ahead of them had 9 and 13 wins more than the Cavs, and the other team is right on the Cavs heels, where the next best team the Cavs have to worry about is a group of guys who got knocked out of the first round by the Wizards last year.

That was my argument. :)

tredigs
03-11-2016, 01:05 PM
I would say shooting 23/86 with a point differential of about -100 is a little worse than a "struggle." Maybe he disappointed fans when he was miscast as a 1st or 2nd option but as the motivated 5th option on a contending team where he is spoon-fed easy shots by two of the best passers for their positions in the NBA? He can thrive in that role. They can win with him scoring 10ppg and if he has a hot shooting night every 3rd game or so he can easily drop 20 points and swing a game. That would have gotten then by the Rockets. There is no doubt in my mind about that and anytime you can make a move that pushes you one round further in the playoffs you do it no question.

Lol trust me if I thought Jeff Green was a player who could push a team a ROUND further in the playoffs I would not say anything. I used to watch OKC religiously his entire tenure there and he was bar none the most disappointing player on the team. The guy you always expected to take the step, who simply never did. That was as a 4th option getting the easiest looks he will ever see. Meh ~33% 3pt shooter, apathetic defensively, and just a general black-hole of a playmaker. He's a net negative on both sides of the ball, I promise you.

Sadds The Gr8
03-11-2016, 01:13 PM
Lol trust me if I thought Jeff Green was a player who could push a team a ROUND further in the playoffs I would not say anything. I used to watch OKC religiously his entire tenure there and he was bar none the most disappointing player on the team. The guy you always expected to take the step, who simply never did. That was as a 4th option getting the easiest looks he will ever see. Meh ~33% 3pt shooter, apathetic defensively, and just a general black-hole of a playmaker. He's a net negative on both sides of the ball, I promise you.
I can't believe ppl still believe in him lol. Hes like the Sam Bradford of the nba.

KnicksorBust
03-11-2016, 03:47 PM

That's fine. In my opinion the bar is so low by comparison that he can't fail but I understand your point. We're not going to change each other's mind so we'll end here and we can re-evaluate come playoff time and see if he goes ghost or steps up.

Chronz
03-11-2016, 06:22 PM
That's fine. In my opinion the bar is so low by comparison that he can't fail but I understand your point. We're not going to change each other's mind so we'll end here and we can re-evaluate come playoff time and see if he goes ghost or steps up.

I think you both made solid points, hes really nothing special and has really struggled thus far. The one thing I do agree with you on is that hes an upgrade on the likes of Hedo..... Pierce has also played horribly for us so simply by taking their minutes, his negative impact will help the teams depth. Similar to Wesley Johnson/Moute being an upgrade for us despite being so limited.

Gametime
03-11-2016, 06:25 PM
The Clippers struggle because they don't have a post game. They rely on Chris Paul for everything. It's poor coaching overall. It's the same way carlilse coaches. No post game and rely on pick and roll called 100 times a game.

KnicksorBust
03-13-2016, 08:10 AM
Of course Jeff Green plays 44 solid minutes for the Clips on Friday as they pull out a win in a close game against my Knicks. sounds about right :laugh:

Scoots
03-13-2016, 02:20 PM
The Clippers struggle because they don't have a post game. They rely on Chris Paul for everything. It's poor coaching overall. It's the same way carlilse coaches. No post game and rely on pick and roll called 100 times a game.
The warriors best post player is shaun livingston and they are doing okay.

Chronz
03-13-2016, 02:47 PM
Nah man, their offense has been elite for years. You're focusing on the wrong end of the court.

Monta is beast
03-14-2016, 01:50 AM
How bout dat team thats gonna lose in the 2nd round